• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So you cheated and complain it's too easy?

But for real though, I wish the game had visions appear when area attacks were threatening to people other than the target character. It's pretty annoying while Dunban is tanking to have him avoid an area attack, but then it KO's or nearly KO's your other two party members.

ag-my001

But for real though, I wish the game had visions appear when area attacks were threatening to people other than the target character. It's pretty annoying while Dunban is tanking to have him avoid an area attack, but then it KO's or nearly KO's your other two party members.

I figure it's more of a New Game-. Carry over the AP, but not the money, exp, or weapons. I might add in skill points later if I find the grind is taking too long.

the game's trying to actually give you a challenge while using Dunban though :p

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I figure it's more of a New Game-. Carry over the AP, but not the money, exp, or weapons. I might add in skill points later if I find the grind is taking too long.

Yeah, I did what was basically NG+ without levels and it didn't work very well until late in the game.

Really hope the new game is better in that regard, once you really come to terms with how Xenoblade works the game is mind-numbingly easy.

PKrockin

60 hours in now, near the end of
Agnirathia
. Anyone who played this game and didn't have it on the top of their soundtrack of the year list is out of their damn mind.

I honestly think 70% of my enjoyment of this game comes directly or indirectly from the soundtrack. For damn sure I wouldn't have had much fun wandering around the giant areas of the game for so long without the sublime music.

I don't know how people managed the later sections with Reyn as tank. He just went down like a rock for me even with Sharla healing against the later unique mobs.
I'm having some more success buffing Reyn's agility rather than defense.

I don't know how people managed the later sections with Reyn as tank. He just went down like a rock for me even with Sharla healing against the later unique mobs.

Yeah Reyn kinda fell off in the mid/late-game because Dunban's agility tanking was so much more effective. But way later once you have really good gear + gems + skill links Reyn is an absolute beast. I remember making a post in this thread about how he turned out to be superior to Dunban for killing Despotic Arsene (superboss).

*Edit - here it is:

Here's something interesting I found out last night: Reyn is a better tank than Dunban for Despotic Arsene. Dunban is still great and all, but the fact that he always dies against Arsene's talent art + Imperial Sobat/Emperor Blow/Imperial Upper combo was starting to annoy me. Plus, he struggles to hold aggro from 7th in the Arsene fight. Last night I went with a full physical tank build: I linked Shulk's -5 weight skill and equipped Dunban with heavy armor (M100 & Ledios) with no agility penalty. I also linked 7th's 10% less phys damage skill, for extra tankiness. And still, Arsene's combo killed him — even with M. Armor up. I looked it up on the Xenoblade Wikia, and it says this:

Emperor Combo X - Despotic Arsene's Talent Art. A severely damaging 2-hit combo. Almost impossible for Reyn to survive, even with Last Stand active while he is under the effect of Sharla's Shield Bullet (unless he guards with Guard Shift to half the damage, or uses Shulk's Shield or Armour talent arts).

So I decided to use Reyn, figuring I'd be able to warn him to use his Guard Shift art; combined with Armor he was sure to survive.

I equipped Reyn with the same heavy armor set, Dunban's 15% less phys damage skill, 7th's 10% less phys damage skill, as well as Shulk and Sharla's +5% defense skills. I didn't even need to use Guard Shift. It was ridiculous; Reyn was tanking every move from Arsene with ease. The dreaded combo did a good chunk of damage to him, but a Light Heal + Aura Heal VI gem had him back to full HP in no time. And with Night Vision + 7th's Agility Down gem, he had no problem hitting Arsene and holding aggro at all. I tried this three times and each time we kicked Arsene's ass without any problems.

Dunban is still a better tank against the other 3 superbosses, though.

Plus, Reyn is the king of Topple. I think for a fun challenge next playthrough I'm gonna skip Dunban and only use Reyn as my tank. I'm sure I can make him work.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Plus, Reyn is the king of Topple. I think for a fun challenge next playthrough I'm gonna skip Dunban and only use Reyn as my tank. I'm sure I can make him work.

post-25049-laughing-out-loud-lol-gif-Now-xlnU.gif

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Nier came out in 2010 as well. As good as Xenoblade's soundtrack was, it can't come close to surpassing that.

Disagree, Xenoblade's soundtrack when put into context (i.e. when each piece is used in the game and various cutscenes) puts it on top.

Rebel Leader

that's a trick question, Xenoblade was mainly voted on in 2011's soundtrack of the year thread ( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)

and it would have won more if it wasn't for those pesky rules!

Note: Xenoblade Chronicles will not be eligible to win this year. Although the game was officially released in the United States in 2012, it has been a presence in these threads for a while now and it won top honors last year. Other than that, any soundtrack for a game that was released in 2012 is eligible.

jim-carrey-liar-liar-oh-come-on-angry-its-enough.gif

Qblivion

How do I play this game? No, seriously, I am awful at it.

I am lvl 50 at the second encounter with
mumkhar
and I am getting wrecked in less than a minute. Who should I be using? What skill set do I need to set up?

Rebel Leader

How do I play this game? No, seriously, I am awful at it.

I am lvl 50 at the second encounter with
mumkhar
and I am getting wrecked in less than a minute. Who should I be using? What skill set do I need to set up?

1. Have you been using skill points?
  2. Have you bought skill books?
  3. Have you used skill links?

Gravidee

So I recently got a new sealed copy of this game but there was no CN code inside, just some small manual telling me to view the game's instructions online. Has anyone else here experienced this? Were the CN codes only for a limited amount of copies?

thread is totally dead

anyway this is super random, but I wonder how many of each enemy is on the map at any given time (i.e. without respawning)

(like 5 Spear Tirkins, 1 Greed Gogol, etc. on Bionis' Leg)

So I've got this game, I've got a Shulk amiibo, I've got the New 3DS faceplate preordered, I'll be buying both Xenoblade 3D and Xenoblade X.

So now I'm considering buying the OST as well. It'll cost me $43 all up to import, seems like a lot for something I can listen to on youtube. I kind of want it to add to my Xenoblade shrine collection though. Decisions decisions...

So, I was hoping the existence of XB3D would bring down the price of XBWii like what happened with Metroid Prime Trilogy's physical disc price because of the eShop rerelease. Instead, looks like GameStop hiked up the used price from the $50 it was at a few months ago back up to $60.

AreYouFuckingKiddingMe.jpg

So, I was hoping the existence of XB3D would bring down the price of XBWii like what happened with Metroid Prime Trilogy's physical disc price because of the eShop rerelease. Instead, looks like GameStop hiked up the used price from the $50 it was at a few months ago back up to $60.

$60 for one of the greatest and meatiest JRPGs of all time is a fair price though.

It is worth it though. I paid more this game than I have for any other game and I don't regret it for a second.

$60 for one of the greatest and meatiest JRPGs of all time is a fair price though.

But it's used, thus Nintendo is getting not a single cent of the sale, there's a precedent set of new copies of the 3DS version being $40, and the prospect of it possibly getting an eShop release on WiiU when you consider that Metroid Prime Trilogy saw an amazing eShop deal.

I'd gladly pay that price or more for a sealed copy, but paying MSRP for a used and opened copy is where my line is drawn. That and the price of gas + time from driving 50~ miles to the nearest GameStop with a copy. Finances are a bitch.

Oh and sales tax, how'd I forget that.

But it's used, thus Nintendo is getting not a single cent of the sale, there's a precedent set of new copies of the 3DS version being $40, and the prospect of it possibly getting an eShop release on WiiU when you consider that Metroid Prime Trilogy saw an amazing eShop deal.

I'd gladly pay that price or more for a sealed copy, but paying MSRP for a used and opened copy is where my line is drawn. That and the price of gas + time from driving 50~ miles to the nearest GameStop with a copy. Finances are a bitch.

Ah, I had assumed it was a sealed copy. Should have known better.

I can see your point then. GameSpot are such a shitty company, I would not be enthusiastic about giving them sixty bucks for a used product either.

Well, to be frank, all the New copies of XenobladeWii are sitting in collectors' display cases and certainly not for sale unless something of equal value like Valkyrie Profile PSX is being offered.

And unfortunately, because of GameStop's exclusivity deal, waiting for some 3rd party seller to order a reprint like with Radiant Dawn isn't going to be happening.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
So I got this for Christmas and have finally gotten into it.

I love it. There's so much to do.

One thing: I'm just getting to Colony 6 and about 11 hours in. If I have the Monado, why do I keep getting swords in treasure chests? Is it possible to get here WITHOUT the Monado?

Well, I should admit, I actually already do have the game from a friend I've been borrowing it from - But you know, sorta nice to have my own copy on hand when he inevitably wants the game he paid $90 used for back.

One thing: I'm just getting to Colony 6 and about 11 hours in. If I have the Monado, why do I keep getting swords in treasure chests? Is it possible to get here WITHOUT the Monado?

Shulk isn't the only sword user in the game.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I should admit, I actually already do have the game from a friend I've been borrowing it from - But you know, sorta nice to have my own copy on hand when he inevitably wants the game he paid $90 used for back.

Shulk isn't the only sword user in the game.
That makes more sense. Thanks.

alvis.exe

Wait. Are you referring to actual sword weapons that you went into the inventory to check the stats of or are you referring to the little icon that appears when you open a treasure chest?

'Cause if the latter then ALL weapon types show up as a sword icon IIRC.

The reason I ask is because I don't think you'd be getting that many actual swords before the party member who uses them joins the party. The game is pretty good about keeping item drops relevant to your party.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
Wait. Are you referring to actual sword weapons that you went into the inventory to check the stats of or are you referring to the little icon that appears when you open a treasure chest?

'Cause if the latter then ALL weapon types show up as a sword icon IIRC.

The reason I ask is because I don't think you'd be getting that many actual swords before the party member who uses them joins the party. The game is pretty good about keeping item drops relevant to your party.
Yeah, i was referring to chests. Thanks for the info.

CassSept

I finally started the game last week after it laid dormant in my cupboard for 3.5 years. A game of such length is quite intimidating and... I can see I made the right call. I'm barely 6 hours in and I can already see this game is going to devour so many hours of my life. I had not played many jRPGs in my life (something I'm planning to change, perhaps in 2015 I'll comb through my RPG backlog, both western and japanese), but solid gameplay foundation with MMO-esque design... yeah, I'm doomed.

Cloudy

Banned
Any chance the 3DS release affects the price of the wii game on eBay? Also, does the original look better with wii u?

Been holding onto my wii copy but thinking maybe I should unload it

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Any chance the 3DS release affects the price of the wii game on eBay? Also, does the original look better with wii u?

Been holding onto my wii copy but thinking maybe I should unload it

It looks a bit better on Wii U, much better on Dolphin if you have a decent PC.

Formless

So I just "finished" the game (lost around 7 hours of progress near the endgame because Dolphin crashed and I didn't save -- watched the rest on Youtube).

Wow.

I haven't played a big epic JRPG in a long time. I usually associate similar cooldown based fighting systems in RPGs with a bad time, but I realized most of those experiences were with MMOs, which I don't like. Xenoblade was more suited to me - a directed story with surprisingly engaging characters (thanks to good VAs and a nice plot). Music was incredible. Cutscenes really did a good job of portraying the characters' struggles, after you get over the whole low-poly business. The game is gorgeous. The battles have a nice rhythm to them and the world does feel alive.

I didn't even really do sidequests on purpose nor did I explore all the areas (This was a bit of a pain sometimes, and backtracking long stretches after dying at bosses despite getting checkpoints was a hassle). I usually hate walking but the battles never stopped being fun for the most part.
I'd actually swam all the way from the coast of Eryth Sea to the High Entia capital because I'd missed the teleporter, and somehow didn't mind
Still don't like fetch quests but I guess there's not much you can do in this type of game outside of explore and battle.

I hope the 3DS version sells very well. I'm worried about the sequel being a less directed story since the main character is user-generated.

CassSept

I see this was once asked in this thread before, but I don't know if anyone managed to figure it out. Does anyone know what triggers Brave Protectors achievement or is it just bugged? I'm fairly late (I think, 2/3?) into the game and I do all the sidequests, try to fill up the affinity chart since it's pretty fun to watch connections between npcs grow and it's really annoying me that I can't get this one.

Zing

Banned
I bought this game at release. I was one of three preorders at my local store. Had the art book. Played 13 hours in a week, got a bit burned out and shelved the game for a bit. You know what happens to RPGs that go unplayed for a while...

Sold my copy last year for a high price. Recently decided I wanted to play the game again and that I am actually interested in X. So, I found a local seller with a preorder copy and traded Amiibo for it. I'm 5 hours in already and enjoying it again. I thought I would ignore most of the side quests, but I find that I am just naturally doing them.

Note for anyone in the market for a copy: There are a TON of people selling sealed copies. I caution against buying them. They do not include a manual and the sellers think they are sitting on a goldmine. Just buy any of the dozens of opened original copies.

Zing

Banned
Does anyone know if the game describes what the different stats do? Agility, ether, etc? I can't find any descriptions of the character stats.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know if the game describes what the different stats do? Agility, ether, etc? I can't find any descriptions of the character stats.

It probably does somewhere, but they are pretty straightforward.

Stength and ether both directly add to weapon damage for physical and ether attacks, respectively. Defense/ether defense reduces damage you take from their respective attack types. Agility improves your hit rate and dodge rate, weight directly subtracts from it.

jfoul

Finally got a copy of this game from a gaffer for a great price. I played 13 hours during my first sit down. It's just a great game, but I find myself fighting the camera most of the time. I haven't really figured out the skill links yet since I kind of glazed over it. I've been hoarding my materials, since I'm not sure what to do with them. I have a feeling you sell off the non quest mats, and I'm just sitting on cash money.

Finally gotten around to playing this game, and I am enjoying it thus far.

I am just about to head into Colony 6, and I still don't feel like I "get" the combat system. I usually just run in and stuff dies, and even when I use combo's (because I can, not because I need to), I find them oddly unsatisfying...

Maybe it is because I am doing all the quests and simply out level the content?

max_505

Finally gotten around to playing this game, and I am enjoying it thus far.

I am just about to head into Colony 6, and I still don't feel like I "get" the combat system. I usually just run in and stuff dies, and even when I use combo's (because I can, not because I need to), I find them oddly unsatisfying...

Maybe it is because I am doing all the quests and simply out level the content?

Yep, doing all the quests does that. If you want the combat to be more challenging, just skip the majority (or all, if you want) of the side quests.

Wow, been a while since I saw this thread get bumped!

I'll probably play this game again someday, but I really burned myself out. Not in a bad way per se, it's just that I've played through it so many times I basically have the story, maps, dialogue, and boss fights memorized. Very few games have ever captured my interest quite like Xenoblade.

brinstar

I need to finish this game up actually, before X comes out. I'm almost at the end, pretty deep into Mechonis. I heard I'm in store for some insane plot twists, lol

Top Bottom