• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Tenck

Regular CC controller should work. The ergonomics on the CC PRO make it much more enjoyable though.

Also, you know a SP game is good when it makes you pull off an all nighter.

jorgeton

Binging on Xenoblade is both easy and wonderful.

A dangerous combination.

Truth. I put it on last night before bed, planning to play for an hour. I check my clock and 3 hours had passed. It literally felt like I'd played for an hour, but that was not the case. This game is dangerous.

burgerdog

I just got to Gaur Plains all the quests I picked up already have the clock icon. Do you guys know if I can get a 3rd party member before they disappear?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I just got to Gaur Plains all the quests I picked up already have the clock icon. Do you guys know if I can get a 3rd party member before they disappear?

Yes.

They don't disappear for quite a while, and you have to make a specific, optional choice in order to expire them.

I ordered it from Nintendo about a month ago and it just arrived on my door step. Amazon Prime has spoiled me to no end, because recieving a video game a week after release is goddamn criminal!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I ordered it from Nintendo about a month ago and it just arrived on my door step. Amazon Prime has spoiled me to no end, because recieving a video game a week after release is goddamn criminal!

Its stuff like this that make me glad i never preorder online. Local video game stores ftw.

This was the one game I've preordered in a store for almost 7+ years because I figured this would be the first game that might be hard to get >.>

Zing

Banned
I'm sure some people ordered from Nintendo to avoid supporting Gamestop. Didn't Nintendo orders also miss out on the free art book?

If I were in that situation, I would have went to Gamestop, bought a copy on day 0, then when the Nintendo copy arrives, return the new copy back to Gamestop.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This game is REALLY good.

That is all.

Alchemy

I'm sure some people ordered from Nintendo to avoid supporting Gamestop. Didn't Nintendo orders also miss out on the free art book?

If I were in that situation, I would have went to Gamestop, bought a copy on day 0, then when the Nintendo copy arrives, return the new copy back to Gamestop.

Don't believe any store still allows you to straight up return games, you can only exchange the disc for another copy assuming yours was not functional.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh I'm not even that far yet, ha. Only about 10 hours in. Just finished
Ether Mine
Like you said, the music in the that dungeon is ridiculous. Goosebumps just thinking of it ._.

Yeah, I actually am still inside. I just saved once I beat
Xord
. I'm gonna put some more time in later tonight. Playoff hockey soon!

burgerdog

My mind is full of fuck after spending some time in Gaur Plains, it's like it never ends. I've spent more time exploring this area than the time it has taken me to beat the new call of duty games.

branny

I'm like 20 hours into this game and feel like I've already had enough. I'm just so bored. Why is this game so hyped? Does it get dramatically better or something later on? :(

The music is nice.

ZenaxPure

I'm like 20 hours into this game and feel like I've already had enough. I'm just so bored. Why is this game so hyped? Does it get dramatically better or something later on? :(

The music is nice.

I'll be honest, I am kinda baffled why there is so much hype behind the game as well. I personally am having a ton of fun with it but it's not really doing much that hasn't been done elsewhere in the genre. Probably the most impressive thing is the affinity system as a whole which continues to impress me as I keep playing.

More of just bothered by all the reviews that are like "OMG BEST JRPG EVER SAVING THE GENRE etc."

Seik

Banned

The music is nice.

I'll be honest, I am kinda baffled why there is so much hype behind the game as well. I personally am having a ton of fun with it but it's not really doing much that hasn't been done elsewhere in the genre. Probably the most impressive thing is the affinity system as a whole which continues to impress me as I keep playing.

More of just bothered by all the reviews that are like "OMG BEST JRPG EVER SAVING THE GENRE etc."

Put all your hearts into finishing the game, you will be filled with a full sense of accomplishment.

Then look at the game, look at it. Think hard about what the last 5-6 last years gave us, you'll understand the praise.

What's the deal with the big bag / small bag for junk? Safe to sell both as long as they are not quest items?

The bigger bags are "rarer" items. You'll run out of inventory space for monster loot eventually, but it's good to keep ~5 of every item just in case it's needed for a quest down the line. Once you run out of space, which won't happen until much later in the game, it's probably best to sell the common drops first.

ZenaxPure

Put all your hearts into finishing the game, you will be filled with a full sense of accomplishment.

Then look at the game, look at it. Think hard about what the last 5-6 last years gave us, you'll understand the praise.

I am obviously going to finish the game since I am having a lot of fun with it, but honestly I have not enjoyed my 45 hours with the game thus far as much as I enjoyed stuff like Resonance of Fate or Last Remnant (which are probably my 2 favorite JRPGs this gen). Even if it pulls something crazy in the last part of the story I can't see my enjoyment of it eclipsing some other awesome games.

Korosenai

So I just got the game yesterday, played the opening sequence to the game (the tutorial and what not), and wow...... that was epic.

Busaiku

AGH WHY IN THE WORLD AM I NOT GETTING ANYWHERE

20 hours and I still have just 3 party members...
I'm like 8 levels above the strongest monster (that's not in its 70s).

Freaking quests.

epmode

AGH WHY IN THE WORLD AM I NOT GETTING ANYWHERE

20 hours and I still have just 3 party members...
I'm like 8 levels above the strongest monster (that's not in its 70s).

Freaking quests.
My biggest mistake was actually doing the sidequests. It trivializes 3/4 of the game.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
How do you do party commands on the CC? If I hold down L or R, I just cycle through targets.

It's ZR i think. While ZL is for zooming the camera.

My biggest mistake was acutally doing the sidequests. It trivializes 3/4 of the game.

I'm lvl 39 and every monsters i come across are lvl 31-34. The only battles that are tough are the unique monsters, but even then its often not that hard.

Alchemy

My biggest mistake was acutally doing the sidequests. It trivializes 3/4 of the game.

Thats how RPGs should work though. If the game was balanced in mind with the player doing side quests and became extremely difficult without it then it would be come grindy since you can simply progress through the game at whatever pace you want, you have to stop and level up. And if you introduce scaling it really defeats the purpose of doing all the side stuff since the only reason to do kill quests is for level progression.

I would however hope there is some extremely difficult side content that is only possible when doing a good portion of other side quests. I can't confirm that exists since I'm only five hours in, but the roaming high level creatures seem to elude to that.

epmode

Thats how RPGs should work though.
Agreed, but only to an extent. Just a few levels makes a HUGE difference in Xenosaga and it's very easy to overlevel even when you're kipping most of the quests. It could really stand a flat XP reduction across the board. (I had a nice Ocarina code for this but it didn't want to work in Dolphin so I gave up)

edit: Oh, you're not very far in the game. You'll find out soon, I guess.

Busaiku

Is there any way to get from one area to another area instantly?
Like instead of warping from Colony 9 to Tephra Cave entrance to Spring of Grief to Vilia Lake, running out, and going on, to Bionis Leg; going directly from Colony 9 to Bionis Leg.

Emitan

Is there any way to get from one area to another area instantly?
Like instead of warping from Colony 9 to Tephra Cave entrance to Spring of Grief to Vilia Lake, running out, and going on, to Bionis Leg; going directly from Colony 9 to Bionis Leg.

Access the map from the X button menu instead of hitting select. It took me 20 hours to figure that out.

Hiltz

I know a lot of people don't bother checking out instruction manuals anymore, but the one for Xenoblade comes in handy since there's a lot of stuff to remember.

Classic controller party command orders require holding the ZR button while pressing up, down or right on the d-pad.
The Wii remote controls are Z+A, Z+B, and Z+ down on the d-pad.

It honestly never ceases to amaze me how far people can get without quick travel. It makes the game flow so much smoother when you know you have total freedom like that.

Note: you can also change the time of day!

I know a lot of people don't bother checking out instruction manuals anymore, but the one for Xenoblade comes in handy since there's a lot of stuff to remember.

Classic controller party command orders require holding the ZR button while pressing up, down or right on the d-pad.
The Wii remote controls are Z+A, Z+B, and Z+ down on the d-pad.

I checked the manual before I asked, but looking now, it's only under the controller diagrams. Under Battle: Basics, it only lists the Wiimote controls. So nyah.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It seems like affinity grows really slowly, is there some better way to raise it beyond just hitting the prompts in combat?

I just got through
Gaur Mines
and now storywise
I have Dunban, so a party member sits out. Then that means I can't raise their affinity? ;_;

I see in the achievements there's stuff tied to giving gifts, how is that done? Or is it a part of heart-to-hearts?

anaron

It honestly never ceases to amaze me how far people can get without quick travel. It makes the game flow so much smoother when you know you have total freedom like that.

I wonder just how much the absense of knowing this has affected people's experience.

Emitan

I knew you could quick travel. I didnt know you could do it from region to region.

Top Bottom