• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

ZenaxPure

This game sure likes to show off Sharla and Melia's tits and ass, I won't be shocked if they get the venus bikini from doa volley ball.

Sharla's boobs scare me. Just turning around slightly causes them to jiggle like crazy. I am not against boob physics in video games or anything... but it's not very well done here. I assume they used all Wii's power on streaming the world instead.

branny

Thank you so much for this post! I've already tried quite a things that you and Zekes! suggested (I dropped Sharla the second I could--when I mentioned healer I was talking more about how the Party Gauge handles resurrection with proper play), but hearing about additional mechanics and characters that'll spice things up soon really makes me excited.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I just got 7th, and I kind of really want to use them. I've been rolling with a Shulk x Dunban x Riki party, who should I drop?

Shulk-Riki-7th
was my primary party for basically the entire second half of the game. Up to you, though.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I didn't know this until it was discussed earlier on the thread but you can have characters gift collectibles with each other and that raises affinity.

Yeah, but it seems like i would have to give a lot of my collectibles to even change one "affinity face". And how do i know if i shouldnt just keep them instead for a quest? I know some items show the future, so does that mean that items that do not show the future can be safely traded/gifted?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, but it seems like i would have to give a lot of my collectibles to even change one "affinity face". And how do i know if i shouldnt just keep them instead for a quest? I know some items show the future, so does that mean that items that do not show the future can be safely traded/gifted?

Collectibles that don't get marked with an exclamation point are likely safe, but even ones that are you don't necessarily need to hoard up in large quantities. If something is marked for a quest but you have 20 of them, you can definitely part with some. If you can, try to focus on gifts that give you the maximum amount of affinity for a particular character. If you can quickly crank out like 20 3 heart gifts to someone, that's going to do a lot towards increasing your affinity, especially at lower levels.

Otherwise, if you want to raise affinity with characters you aren't really using in battle, try swapping them in while in towns to accept and complete quests. They might chime in with dialogue while you're talking with the NPCs that will help boost affinity. That and gifts are pretty much the only real ways of doing it outside of battle.

ag-my001

Is there some way to "cheat" the affinity system? I feel like im going to miss 90% of the heart to heart locations because going from a "neutral face" to "super happy face" with certain characters is taking way too long.

Many of the Heart-to-heart scenes are supposed to be viewed later in the game, as they'll reference things that have happened since the party was last at that location.

As far as building up affinity quickly, there is a method reserved for late in the game. Some of the very high level mobs reflect debuffs, such as sleep. Equip gems on your character to make them immune, while making sure the other two are susceptible. They attack, go to sleep, you press B to wake them up and see hearts. Can be spammed as long as you like, so long as you aren't being killed in the process.

Y2Kev's List of Fixes

The only thing I would put on a 'must add' list is an auto-run option. For a game that has as much exploration as Xenoblade, being able to move forward without having to keep the stick forward would be a big help. Fast-travel is awesome, but when swimming through the endless waters of
Eryth Sea
, my fingers need a break.

Mikey Jr.

You know, this is a great game, but one huge thing I have to knock it for is the quest system.

It is one of the worst I have seen in a long time. They do one thing right, and that is for a good deal of quests, once you collect the item, it gives you the reward.

But there seems to be another good deal of quests that just plain fucking suck.

1. Get this item
2. Return to person for reward.
3. Person is in ether light district in Colony 9.

The thing is, the person only appears between 3-5 pm. How the shit do I know this? Or one that tells me to collect 3 shells but literally gives me no other information of where I can get them.

One of the "quests" right now, and it seems kinda important, wants me to get a fossil monkey. Thats it. Will not tell me where. Will not tell me which enemy has it. Nothing.

A little more guidance would be nice. One of the sidequests in colony 9 is about some kid training in the residential district, and Im supposed to give him biscuits. But I cannot find this fucker at all. He's probably only available at 1am or some horseshit.

The time system is cool, but having so many hourly options is terrible. There should only be a day and night mode for NPC's. 6am-6pm is day, 6pm-6am is night. Not dusk or mid afternoon or whatever. Or if you do that, give me some more info.

ag-my001

The quest 'type' can often help you figure some of this stuff out. If it is a "Collection" quest, then the items you want are the blue-sphere pickups. If it is a 'Materials' quest, you'll need to kill mobs. Fossil Monkeys are a blue-sphere pickup.

Some NPCs are a bit tricky to find due to moving around. If you know whether they are primarily day or night, try looking early in the cycle for a better chance. I usually find day NPCs best at 8am, and night NPCs around 8pm.

One of the "quests" right now, and it seems kinda important, wants me to get a fossil monkey. Thats it. Will not tell me where. Will not tell me which enemy has it. Nothing.
Its a collectible. IIRC found in
Manka Forest
so follow the blue orbs until your eyes bleed :( . NPCs usually have trades for these but its impossible for anyone to know without Internet help (or being driven insane just as badly as following the blue orbs). Btw, in that case this is
Puko found by the weapon shop in Frontier village provided you have 2 star affinity or more

The whole affinity chart and menus in general could have used some polishing. I can understand Monolith not wanting it to be too much autopilot but things like having the trade lists in the menu with some ??? for higher * affinity (to illustrate it does something and spur people to trying) and also give more hints of who to talk to etc...

Also the if a strategy guide came out line actually rings in my ears for once...

massoluk

Banned
This game sure likes to show off Sharla and Melia's tits and ass, I won't be shocked if they get the venus bikini from doa volley ball.

Bwahaha, by the time I finished the game, Sharla looks like rainbow peacock, Melia's look like space robot. The costumes in this game doesn't make sense as you go on.

Hiltz

There is a specific monster found in one of the later areas of the game that makes it easier to raise affinity of the characters more quickly.

Find the lvl. 45 Nebula orb-like monster in one of the later areas of the game
Valak Mountain inside the cave of the laval pool.

"1. Unequip all offensive arts from the characters you wish to raise affection with
1a. Equip the weakest weapons you can find
1b. Remove all Strength/Attack gems
1c. Equip any Haste gear possible
2. Play for the character who's affection you want to raise with the other two (You'll have to call Melia and Sharla to get close enough to melee/get affected by spikes
3. Stand next to the enemy and use auto-attacks in order to spam on your Encourage button near your allies (press B once they get inflicted by a status alignment).

Why it works: Getting debuffed lowers tension. Encouraging gives you two hearts towards affection. Elementals have a resistance to melee, causing you to kill them much slower. Lowering your attack kills them slower. Haste speeds up the process because you'll be getting debuffed faster. I found this to be MUCH faster than trying to grind for gifts."

burgerdog

20 hours in and I still need 5 dance apples for a quest. Is there a particular spot in Colony 9 that is more likely to 'drop' them?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just want to be playing this game, but I have to be babysitting.

Come the fuck on. ; ;
The baby can take care of itself, go and play :3!

burgerdog

I think I remember someone mentioning that you could find those maybe in the starting area (at night). It should also be possible to trade for them with... Rosemary maybe ?

Edit:
I also found this entry via Google:

Edit 2:
The following link seems to have a (somewhat) complete overview of the quests at Colony 9, read at your own risk:
http://ikusagami.info/wp/xenoblade/quests/colony-9/

Just swept that area clean, having terrible luck but I'll keep trying, thanks.
edit
Got the two I needed!

Diablos

Hy1Mk.png

Wow!

Xenoblade > Mitt Romney!

Cheska

Couldn't wait any longer to start this! Just beat Kid Icarus last night and figured there was no better time to get this baby rolling. I only got as far as 10 hours in on my PAL copy so I'm eager to see more of what this game has to offer.

Also, I don't think it can be stressed enough how much better this game looks with Component cables. <3 <3

Emitan

Couldn't wait any longer to start this! Just beat Kid Icarus last night and figured there was no better time to get this baby rolling. I only got as far as 10 hours in on my PAL copy so I'm eager to see more of what this game has to offer.

Also, I don't think it can be stressed enough how much better this game looks with Component cables. <3 <3

It's Reyn time!

I'm just posting so I can say how much I love your new avatar

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
5. Learn Arts Manuals as soon as you buy them. Who thought it was a good idea to have to select them out of the items bag? Why would you ever buy one just to keep it unlearned in the bag?

6. Fewer completely pointless story quests. They're okay when they feel like a real quest, but
I just left FV collecting a weapon and armor
served no purpose and didn't even pad the game that much.

I'm not even commenting on the design of the game (like "quests feel shitty" or something like that). Merely that within the existing framework, small tweaks can make the experience of play much better.

If I wanted to make other tweaks, I'd complain about there being such limited "gambit" style systems (but that obviously makes Chain Attacks very important, so it is by design) and the lack of fast leader switching...but I think those are not so much cleanups as redesigns.

branny

Walking around in
Makna Forest
is incredibly eerie. I'm immediately transported back to exactly how I felt going through some areas of FFVIII and Chrono Cross for the first time. Weird.

edit: Yeah...
Melia just saved random battles for me. Sorry, Citan--er, Auron--errr Dunban, you were just outshone by a FOnewearl. A crowd control character that actually functions decently with this battle system? Praise the stars!

burgerdog

Managed to kill big turtles in Gaur at lv28 and it dropped a really good armor piece. Takes me around 7 minutes to kill but it's worth it for the exp and drops.

For those who have beaten the game, possibly multiple times:

What exactly carries over to NG+? I know quests don't, but what about party affinities? I'd just like to know what I CAN prep for NG+ when I get there.

Just a handy reminder if you like killing higher-level monsters for EXP: you get a bonus if you kill them during a chain attack.

For those who have beaten the game, possibly multiple times:

What exactly carries over to NG+? I know quests don't, but what about party affinities? I'd just like to know what I CAN prep for NG+ when I get there.

Here's a list, and don't worry—there aren't any story spoilers:

Levels.
Everything related to Arts.
Everything related to Skills.
Equipped gear at the end of the game (including weapons).
30 weapons of your choice from your inventory.
30 pieces of armor of your choice from your inventory.
60 materials or your choice from your inventory.
All crystals/cylinders, arts manuals, collectibles.
Money.
Party Affinity.
Achievements.

Location affinity does NOT carry over, and quests don't carry over, either.

I've sunk 20 hours into this game and I've only just got to the point where
I can start rebuilding colony 6.

This game just has SO much to do. Easily one of the most believable worlds of any game I've ever played. I just love exploring and doing all the side quests. I love the Affinity system. It makes all the side quests feel like they're worth it.

Busaiku

They shouldn't bait me, cause I will fall for it!
It's a symptom I can't control!

The game should've addressed this, not me!

Ok. I'm about 27 hours in, level 37, and just left
Makna Forest

My party consists of
Shulk, Dunban and Sharla
. My question is this: how do you guys get your tank to actually tank? Everybody posting party strategies seems to act as if their tank is actually tanking. Mine still drops aggro all the fucking time, either to myself (Shulk) or
Sharla
, no matter how much I avoid using Arts. If I take on an even-level mob and do nothing but auto-attack, I'll still grab aggro every now and then. You guys are talking like that's not the case. Am I doing something wrong here?

My party consists of
Shulk, Dunban and Sharla
. My question is this: how do you guys get your tank to actually tank? Everybody posting party strategies seems to act as if their tank is actually tanking. Mine still drops aggro all the fucking time, either to myself (Shulk) or
Sharla
, no matter how much I avoid using Arts. If I take on an even-level mob and do nothing but auto-attack, I'll still grab aggro every now and then. You guys are talking like that's not the case. Am I doing something wrong here?

Make sure your tank doesn't have any aggro-reducing Arts on the palette;
Dunban
has some and the AI will use them occasionally. Swap them out for junk Arts if you need to. Level up Shadow Eye on Shulk and abuse it. Remember that attack damage is a huge element of aggro, so if you've prioritized high-damage moves on Shulk it's likely he'll be taking a lot of aggro.

Your tank should be able to hold aggro most of the time. If it's still not as much as you want, there are gems like Arts Stealth that limit the aggro drawn. Also: try playing as your tank! It's much easier to hold aggro if you're the one controlling the character. Shulk's AI is pretty good about using Shadow Eye, too.

Meh, I tanked in WoW for a little while, fucking hated it. :lol

Plus I like having control of the Monado. Wouldn't feel "right" to be playing as a different character. I'm not big on intricate RPG systems either, my strategy is basically to explore every field and kill everything so that I out-level the next boss. I'd like to perform the DPS roll in the typical tank 'n spank, but both of my tanks just suck. =/

Meh, I tanked in WoW for a little while, fucking hated it. :lol

Plus I like having control of the Monado. Wouldn't feel "right" to be playing as a different character. I'm not big on intricate RPG systems either, my strategy is basically to explore every field and kill everything so that I out-level the next boss. I'd like to perform the DPS roll in the typical tank 'n spank, but both of my tanks just suck. =/

Gems are probably your best bet, then.

That and obsessively using Shadow Eye.

Zing

Banned
I am surprised to see people whining about the newbie Colony 9 quests. I have 3.5 hours clocked so far and managed to complete every quest there up to the point where you head out for Colony 6. I did this with absolutely zero outside help.

Yes, it is clear that some NPCs only appear at certain times of day. However, I was able to find everyone I needed just through the normal progression and exploration of the colony.

As for collectables, I found everything I needed just from grabbing the random items on the ground as I explored the surrounding area hunting monsters for the other quests.

branny

If anyone knows Flyff, controlling
Melia
is oddly reminiscent of playing an Elementor with a hint of Psykeeper, especially considering how both games have very similar fonts for damage numbers. Why does Xenoblade keep reminding me of other things?

RagnarokX

I'm not even commenting on the design of the game (like "quests feel shitty" or something like that). Merely that within the existing framework, small tweaks can make the experience of play much better.

If I wanted to make other tweaks, I'd complain about there being such limited "gambit" style systems (but that obviously makes Chain Attacks very important, so it is by design) and the lack of fast leader switching...but I think those are not so much cleanups as redesigns.

Where you are in the game, you haven't encountered what I'm talking about yet. I'm talking about a forced quest that adds absolutely nothing and the only reward is advancing the story. In the example I gave, you get a new character, and then you have to talk to a couple of NPCs to get this character's armor and weapon. It just baffled me cuz there was no reason for the character to not just already have these items, and going and fetching them was completely pointless. That's the only real example of what I'm talking about I've encountered so far and I hope they don't do something like that again.

Holy Bionis! The leg! The leg is HUGE

This game is a explorers dream come true. Love going to a new area and finding every nook and cranny and this game has a ton of them. I did find that killing special creatures before engaging in the side quests is a big no no. lol. Should have known better but I assumed they would respawn...they don't.

zlatko

Banned
I semi cheated or outsmarted the game to complete a quest for Colony 9. The one where a little kid by Dunban's house wants something his dead dad left behind at a cave by the beach, but all the monsters there are like level 38, and that giant frog/dragon of doom is cock blocking the item so you can't get it.

Well I just went there, used the lure thing to make it come out, engaged, ran, and the second it stopped running after me, I quickly turned back after it towards the item. He'll take a brief second where he has his back turned, you quickly run around him so that when he turns back to face forward you are behind him, and therefore can grab the item, and teleport out since he aggros on sight.

:D

Level 20 currently and can't kill the dragon thing at night up at Artillery 3. :( I got it to about 1/3rd left or less with Reyn and Shulk, but I guess I'll need to do some more leveling.

zlatko

Banned
I am surprised to see people whining about the newbie Colony 9 quests. I have 3.5 hours clocked so far and managed to complete every quest there up to the point where you head out for Colony 6. I did this with absolutely zero outside help.

Yes, it is clear that some NPCs only appear at certain times of day. However, I was able to find everyone I needed just through the normal progression and exploration of the colony.

As for collectables, I found everything I needed just from grabbing the random items on the ground as I explored the surrounding area hunting monsters for the other quests.

Right, except you haven't probably even scratched what is available for side quests. Check your affinity for Colony 9. Don't you need 5 stars there to have found and done all the quests there?

I'm currently at 3 stars, and still manage to find new NPCs at different times to talk to or retalk to, which raises the town affinity, and creates new quests. It's damn deep.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

All of them? In 3.5 hours while also moving the story along? I doubt it, there are probably 50 or so quests available at that point. Often after a quest if you talk to the people involved it will improve your affinity for the area, and it can also change affinity between two NPCs. Both can cause new quests to pop up.

I don't think there's any way to hit every quest available without spending a ton of time in each area or using a guide.

Right, except you haven't probably even scratched what is available for side quests. Check your affinity for Colony 9. Don't you need 5 stars there to have found and done all the quests there?

I'm currently at 3 stars, and still manage to find new NPCs at different times to talk to or retalk to, which raises the town affinity, and creates new quests. It's damn deep.

Some quests don't open up until after certain story events. So it's possible to have every quest in an area done at a particular time while still not having 5 star affinity. You also continue to get quests with 5 star affinity as well, so that doesn't mean you've done them all either.

ZenaxPure

If anyone knows Flyff, controlling
Melia
is oddly reminiscent of playing an Elementor with a hint of Psykeeper, especially considering how both games have very similar fonts for damage numbers. Why does Xenoblade keep reminding me of other things?

Because it's like a lot of other things! Like I mentioned when I first started, Shulk plays exactly like melee classes in FF14, exactly like them, it weirds me out. But with that said he is actually my favorite character to control. I really enjoy positioning based combat and he can build up the party gague so freaking fast.

On the topic of party setups though (45 hour/late game story spoilers)
Dunban/7th/_____ leads to pretty funny fights. Both of them actually do quite a bit of damage and without a doubt at least one of them is always holding hate off whoever the third party member is. I ended up using that setup and rotating the third member my entire way through that dungeon after the Mech town (whose name I forget atm).
I decided to start using it a bit because none of the AI seems compotent at tanking 3+ mobs and I wasn't in the mood to actually play a tank. Turned out to work like a charm.

Zornica

Banned
Where you are in the game, you haven't encountered what I'm talking about yet. I'm talking about a forced quest that adds absolutely nothing and the only reward is advancing the story. In the example I gave, you get a new character, and then you have to talk to a couple of NPCs to get this character's armor and weapon. It just baffled me cuz there was no reason for the character to not just already have these items, and going and fetching them was completely pointless. That's the only real example of what I'm talking about I've encountered so far and I hope they don't do something like that again.

no it wasn't pointless at all. It was just a subtle addition to rikis character. He is the nopon hero, a hero who doesn't even own his own battle gear. Being a noppon hero is basically a farce, and the game shows that in various ways.
And running (or using quick travel) up 1 or 2 floors isn't to much to ask... You make it sound like it took 4 hours.

RagnarokX

no it wasn't pointless at all. It was just a subtle addition to rikis character. He is the nopon hero, a hero who doesn't even own his own battle gear. Being a noppon hero is basically a farce, and the game shows that in various ways.
And running (or using quick travel) up 1 or 2 floors isn't to much to ask... You make it sound like it took 4 hours.

No I didn't. I just said it was pointless, and it was. Just like how it's pointless to have to do an extra unnecessary step after buying an arts manual.

zlatko

Banned
Question about arts manuals.

Does each manual in Colony 9 only raise the skill to intermediate, or can you keep buying the same manual to keep raising the skill? How many books per skill do you need?

Top Bottom