• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Mikey Jr.

Oh, gotcha. I was worried it extended to equipment for some obscure endgame reason about needing multiple pieces to smelt into a super armor or set or something, lmao.

Mind you, I'm only 25 hours in, but seems like equipment is fine to sell. No need for it if you're not using it. I like to outfit my other party members that I don't use with cool equipment though just to see them during cutscenes. For them, it is more about style than functionality.

Mind you, I'm only 25 hours in, but seems like equipment is fine to sell. No need for it if you're not using it. I like to outfit my other party members that I don't use with cool equipment though just to see them during cutscenes. For them, it is more about style than functionality.

Yeah, you can sell pretty much all of your old equipment if you don't think you'll need it. You'll wind up with a lot of copies, so don't be afraid to clean out your gear inventory every now and then.

Sorry for not being more clear.

schlew

Yuck. Confusion has reared its ugly head again.
I was kind of lost during the explanation of changing the battle's future, and the explanation that opens up in your menu isn't the same.
My problem is how to react to the attacks the enemy does. If an enemy attacks, the colour of the attack's name changes my approach. But I'm not sure what I am to do. Say it's red, how do I counter it? Thanks.

Yuck. Confusion has reared its ugly head again.
I was kind of lost during the explanation of changing the battle's future, and the explanation that opens up in your menu isn't the same.
My problem is how to react to the attacks the enemy does. If an enemy attacks, the colour of the attack's name changes my approach. But I'm not sure what I am to do. Say it's red, how do I counter it? Thanks.

Red = Monado Speed.

I'm nearing 40 hours and barely reached Frontier Valley. I spent a damn long portion of my time doing sidequests. OMG, the sidequests. I have sooooo many completed. I did all the timed ones I could find. If you're someone who's compelled to do sidequests before moving on, you will not be very happy. Then again, you're probably a masochist like the rest of us, so, whatever.

Anyway, yeah. Game is addictive. I'm biased because it's Monolithsoft, but this is one of the best games I've played. It's still no Baten Kaitos, but it's damn close to them as being a favorite. Very close.

Anyway, I figured I'd show my recent L4D2 skin I made :p I just love that image (it's even my wallpaper)

xenoellis.png

xenoellis2.png

My finale music's been the final/fuckawesome part of "Crisis" ever since I got the OST. I should go ahead and change my Tank music from The Last Remnant's "Out of Control" to Xenoblade's "One Who Gets in Our Way" soon.

What about that attack makes it best to use against the enemy's? If it's an red fonted attack, do I attack back with a monado art?

And what about white fonted enemy attacks? Do I just cast the Shield attack?

A red fonted attack means use Monado Speed; the targeted character will dodge the attack.

If it's in a white font with a roman numeral after it, use Monado Shield—assuming its level is higher than the enemy's attack.

I'm not sure what to think of this game.

It's the exploration that I'm having a problem with. There's too much land, too many blue dots, too many "unique" monsters, but none of the richness and depth that signifies proper world-building for games. Some bonehead a few pages back said that Bethesda has a thing to learn from XB, but it's actually the other way around. Take Fallout 3 for example. If you go off the beaten path, you'll either find an abandoned subway station populated by people who think they're vampires, a tiny village that you have to defend from mutants (much like Seven Samurai), and an empty school taken over by sadistic raiders--and that's all just near the beginning! Xenoblade on the other hand, what is there really to find? A pretty view and some hard monsters, with all the interesting bits saved for the main quest.

I think I'm going to play this like I do any other JRPG, just run straight through it for purposes of watching the story and seeing the new areas. I actually like the dialog, especially when you compare it to other RPG's. I even like the (literally) constant yammering during battles. The voice acting adds a lot of British flavor and character. I especially enjoy Reyn, especially when he tells Shulk to get stuck in.

ZenaxPure

Take Fallout 3 for example. If you go off the beaten path, you'll either find an abandoned subway station populated by people who think they're vampires, a tiny village that you have to defend from mutants (much like Seven Samurai), and an empty school taken over by sadistic raiders--and that's all just near the beginning! Xenoblade on the other hand, what is there really to find? A pretty view and some hard monsters, with all the interesting bits saved for the main quest.

Thing is though, it depends on what you want from your open world game. I enjoy Bethesda games for the very things you mention but when it comes down to it the actual part where you play their games isn't very fun/engaging. As cool as it was to walk into that subway station and meet the "vampires" in Fallout 3 I personally find more enjoyment in going off the beaten path to find a unique monster who gives me a challenging fight.

But I enjoy video games for their mechanics/challenge far more than I do for any world or character building. For me that is always just a bonus, I want the fun more than the atmosphere.

Junie12

So apparently I'm stuck in a boss battle...

I can't hit Disciple Lorithia even with the Monado purge..

how do I beat her?

Oh and am I almost done with the game?

ultron87

Just killed the
big Telethia
in Makna.
Dunban is such a baller. He does more with one arm than everyone else combined.

The music in this game is soooo good. Who did the OST?

Here's the most recent song I like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poyyRFEoNlE

If you liked that, you're in for some wonderful treats over the next several tens of hours :D

how do I beat her?

I found this to be the hardest story boss in the game, a lot of people struggled here. Keep trying!
And, I'd say you're definitely getting towards the end.

Zornica

Banned

how do I beat her?

are you using melia? if you don't, you should, because it makes this fight way easier. This particular enemy is weak to ether attacks, so a melia - riki - whoever team should be the best choice. Don't forgett to
command your people to get out off the green stuff

The fight isn't all that hard.

Jintor

It's the exploration that I'm having a problem with. There's too much land, too many blue dots, too many "unique" monsters, but none of the richness and depth that signifies proper world-building for games. Some bonehead a few pages back said that Bethesda has a thing to learn from XB, but it's actually the other way around. Take Fallout 3 for example. If you go off the beaten path, you'll either find an abandoned subway station populated by people who think they're vampires, a tiny village that you have to defend from mutants (much like Seven Samurai), and an empty school taken over by sadistic raiders--and that's all just near the beginning! Xenoblade on the other hand, what is there really to find? A pretty view and some hard monsters, with all the interesting bits saved for the main quest.

On paper that sounds like the tits. In-game? It's shit. All that richness and depth is ultimately reduced to 10 idiotic NPCs with terrible voice acting and writing who dole out quests or just try and kill you. I'll take Xenoblade's beautiful vistas and straight-up exploration XP any day.

Junie12

are you using melia? if you don't, you should, because it makes this fight way easier. This particular enemy is weak to ether attacks, so a melia - riki - whoever team should be the best choice. Don't forgett to
command your people to get out off the green stuff

The fight isn't all that hard.

Wait I have to use Melia? Aw man, I only used her once in the entire game :(

Oh well, I guess I have to tweak my party again <_<

Zornica

Banned

you don't have to, but it would make that fight way easier.
Melia Tutorial her.

You can beat the boss with every party combination possible, but it will be harder, especially if you stuck to a shulk-reyn-sharla combo.
the boss has a
"damage absorbing shield", to remove it, you need to kill the little nebulas
, when playing melia, you can simply blast through it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

HAVE to? No. I beat that battle without her. With difficulty and with Riki only barely saving my ass at one point, but I did do it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I love how everyone is always stumped by the fight. I beat the boss using Riki as the controlled character, as he does have some okay Ether attacks, and lovely status attacks like Poison.

Junie12

Well, I did it. I managed to beat the boss with the Melia, Riki, and Sharla team. Man I wished I payed attention to these characters ether attacks. Then this boss wouldn't be so damned hard <_<

God I hope there is no other boss that have to use ether to beat them, I hate using ether >_<

Oh and fuck that boss for having so much HP!

Mikey Jr.

No it doesn't. Using a Monado art only consumes Shulk's talent art gauge.

Really? I could have sworn something brought it down during battle. I thought it was my monado when I used speed or something like that. I stopped using monado powers and I have been able to get chains much more frequently.

Jintor

Warnings, encouragements, revives and stun/condition revives are the only things that eat the party gauge, pretty sure.

Junie12

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

The power went out in my house and I forgot to save!

Now I have to face the boss all over again ;_;

And I have to watch the Melia and Fiora scene again, and I see Shulk is not in my party either, which means I have to go through the Bionis interior again!

Oh why does this have to happen to me why!!!!!!

Yeah I'm gonna take a break from the game for a while. And I was so sure I was gonna pass it tonight too! ;_;

This Sucks!!!!

Gvaz

Banned
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

The power went out in my house and I forgot to save!

Now I have to face the boss all over again ;_;

And I have to watch the Melia and Fiora scene again, and I see Shulk is not in my party either, which means I have to go through the Bionis interior again!

Oh why does this have to happen to me why!!!!!!

Yeah I'm gonna take a break from the game for a while. And I was so sure I was gonna pass it tonight too! ;_;

This Sucks!!!!
You should really get in the habit of saving every 30 minutes. Set an alarm when you play games if you must.

Junie12

You should really get in the habit of saving every 30 minutes. Set an alarm when you play games if you must.

Yeah I really should <_<

But I was so into the game that saving didn't even cross my mind! There was just so many things going on in this game!

Sigh, lesson learned.

SAVE ALL THE TIME!!!

Jintor

lol. You learn that pretty quickly when ultra-optimised stable dolphin turns out not to be. Buh-bye three hours of playtime

Jintor

The music in this game is soooo good. Who did the OST?

Here's the most recent song I like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poyyRFEoNlE

Mainly ACE+ and MonolithSoft inhouse.

Iwata: Takahashi-san, could you tell us about your original concept of how the soundtrack should be for Xenoblade Chronicles?

Takahashi: I didn't want to restrict it to any particular genre or instrument. There are of course various potential routes you can take: limiting it to only acoustic instruments, for instance. But I think this makes a certain monotonous feel unavoidable. That's why I wanted to use a wide range of instruments for this title, thinking that mixing classical stringed instruments with more electric sounds would be all right, too. Tomori-san is originally a guitarist, after all.

Tomori:
That's right! (laughs)

Takahashi: As it's an RPG, there are always going to be typical RPG-style battle scenes. But I actually wanted to use music and instruments in a way that worked against that type of atmosphere to some extent.

Iwata: So you wanted to use instruments that each had their own individual flavor, thereby creating a more varied soundtrack?

Takahashi: That's right.

AniHawk

level 39 and just made it to
the imperial city

i think i'm about to hit something pretty story-heavy so i'm calling it a night for now.

restoration of places is going way more slowly than expected. wish there was a way to know where to look or who to trade with to get things.

Junie12

lol. You learn that pretty quickly when ultra-optimised stable dolphin turns out not to be. Buh-bye three hours of playtime

Damn that sucks :lol

But yeah what's strange about my situation though is that my house never had a power outage before, in fact this is the first time it ever happened! Talk about bad timing >_<

It's almost like God himself didn't want me to pass this game tonight. Well I'm not gonna give up! I'm gonna do everything all over again and beat that boss again! YEAH!!

Just got to the
Divine Sanctuary landmark; the place with all the waterfalls that you throw the mushroom cap into.
It really makes me wish that the Wii was a more powerful system. I was awestruck enough without any HD-ness. I can only imagine how beautiful it would look on more modern hardware.

I love this game so much.

is "thunderstorm" an actual different kind of weather or just rain?

Yes, they are different. I didn't encounter a thunderstorm until after about 15 showers, so I was confused for a while as well.

You'll definitely know if it's a thunderstorm. The rain is much more chaotic and, well, there's thunder.

EDIT: Beaten to death by a Moblin.

Hiltz

I think there's very few thunderstorm weather condition sidequests. Two kind of suck since you have to be in the area of one the later maps otherwise risk having to rush over to the locations in time before the weather changes.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I did it. I managed to beat the boss with the Melia, Riki, and Sharla team. Man I wished I payed attention to these characters ether attacks. Then this boss wouldn't be so damned hard <_<

God I hope there is no other boss that have to use ether to beat them, I hate using ether >_<

Oh and fuck that boss for having so much HP!

That boss. Ha, I beat that particular boss with Shulk, Sharla, and the last character. It was a mess of a battle, and the terrible framerate didn't help.

I had gun drones in that battle, does that do ether damage? Because I recall it being pretty effective against the elementals during that battle.

Junie12

Okay, I managed to recovered from my incident and did everything all over again but now I can't beat the boss again T_T

Sigh I guess I'm just too tired to play...

I'll try again next time I have some free time. If only I've saved as soon I beat that boss, I probably would've passed it tonight. Oh well, maybe next time.

That boss. Ha, I beat that particular boss with Shulk, Sharla, and the last character. It was a mess of a battle, and the terrible framerate didn't help.

I had gun drones in that battle, does that do ether damage? Because I recall it being pretty effective against the elementals during that battle.

Yeah that framerate was giving me such a headache a while ago. This is definitely the most unpleasant boss battle I've faced in the game.

AniHawk

also, is there pretty much no reason not to have sharla/shulk/
dunban
almost all the goddamn time? i'm at level 39 and dunban's agility is 135 while he can normally hit into the low 1000s. shulk attacks from behind and sharla heals/cures status ailments.

i'm sure there's going to be a couple ether monsters, but i switched to my reserve party of
reyn/melia/riki
for the hell of it, and they got the job done, but they weren't the well-oiled machine the main group is. and while reyn could stand in and be the tank, i don't think anyone can replace sharla.

ag-my001

dunban
almost all the goddamn time? i'm at level 39 and dunban's agility is 135 while he can normally hit into the low 1000s. shulk attacks from behind and sharla heals/cures status ailments.

i'm sure there's going to be a couple ether monsters, but i switched to my reserve party of
reyn/melia/riki
for the hell of it, and they got the job done, but they weren't the well-oiled machine the main group is. and while reyn could stand in and be the tank, i don't think anyone can replace sharla.

Many people switch out Sharla because her damage contribution is so much lower than other characters. She gets the job done, sure, but it can take a while.

For your earlier reconstruction question, this page of the Xenoblade googledocs has all the things necessary and where you can get them. There are some location and NPC name spoilers in there, but only very minor. Nothing in my scan looked like a major spoiler, but look at your own peril.

ZenaxPure

dunban

Use whoever you want, but like people have been saying for most of the thread Sharla isn't that popular of a choice. Personally I am like Jintor where I constantly shift my party around for easier affinity gain but when stuff gets serious I tend to fall back to
Riki/Shulk/Dunban
since I can easily spend 90% of a fight inside of chain attacks which mostly allows my shulk to do things like backslash for like 50,000 damage or more depending on the situation.
Riki and Shulk's tiny heal is plenty enough to keep Dunban alive when he rarely gets hit. If things get to rough chaining 3 blue skills makes Shulk/Riki's heal strong enough to do 7 or 8k which is more HP than my Dunban even has right now.

Top Bottom