• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
So after nearly ten straight hours of searching I was positive my copy of the game had shipped without Bitter Kiwis. Finally found one...Now I just need two more. :(

L00P

So after nearly ten straight hours of searching I was positive my copy of the game had shipped without Bitter Kiwis. Finally found one...Now I just need two more. :(

I have the same problem, but for Enigma Lotuses. I got fed up though and checked gamefaqs to see if there's a faster way to get em, and apparently you can get some from trading with an NPC

zlatko

Banned
So I wanted to use Dunban in my party, but Reyn is seriously a monster at this point in the game for me.

Does like 800-900 on attack, has over 300 phys defense, 150-170 ether defense, and is stacked with over 5k HP. Dude is serious tanking business.

Dunban has a measly 3K health, like 800 attack max, and much shittier defense. My Sharla is tip top too. Pretty much the shittiest stat person is actually Shulk, but I like playing as him, so tough cookies.

Thanks to whoever mentioned those giant turtles in this thread by the way. Went to fight them as level 29, they con yellow, and give out 800 exp per fight. Juicy stuff, and easy to beat too. Too bad only 2 of them pop in that area on the plains.

Going to have to force them to repop in hopes they drop some nice gear.

burgerdog

Wow, 30 hours and my rechargeable eneloops still have 2 bars left. The CCP rocks, and this game is amazing. Was worried that I was going to get bored like I did with Skyrim and KoA after 20 hours.

^
edit
Dunban doesn't need high hp when he's a dodging machine. I switched to him as soon as I got him and filled him up with agi gems. His damage is great after you get a good weapon for him and level up some of his skills.

Zekes!

4th Skill Trees are available after doing certain quests and stuff. Differs for each party member. The quests are generally character-specific (i.e. the quest giver won't give you the quest unless you talk to them with said character as the leader).

5th Skill Trees are unlocked from quests as well, but aren't available until about the end of the game.

Something to note is that these quests are generally obtained through quest chains, so you'll likely end up having to do quite a few quests and/or raise affinity for an area before they become available.

Not only one extra skill tree, but two? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

ZenaxPure

Annnnnnddddd Xenoblade, you've lost me again. (I assume late(60 hours) story spoiler, but who even knows with this game).

So Zanza is just an angry god who wants to recreate the world? Really? That is what everything has been building up to? I just finished all the stuff where Dickson shoots Shulk and Zanza comes out of him, kills Meyneth etc. and reveals that just wants to destroy and recreate the world. Like.... This again? I really thought we were going somewhere cool but he's just gonna tell me he is a generic god-wannabe (well in his case, literally) villain who wants to destroy the world just because he can? I already miss chasing after Egil for simple revenge purposes.

It's a shame because everything else about that scene was amazing. The fact Egil had a purpose to what he was doing, the reasoning of cross breeding Homs/Entia, the entire scene with Mechonis awakening and attacking Bionis. All of that stuff was absolutely great but then it ends with some angry god dude. Bleh.

I hope stuff dramatically changes going forward but right now I really disappointed by the direction the story is going.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I have the same problem, but for Enigma Lotuses. I got fed up though and checked gamefaqs to see if there's a faster way to get em, and apparently you can get some from trading with an NPC

Tried that and nobody had any for trade. Too bad you and I can't trade...I have ~30 Enigma Lotus.

Annnnnnddddd Xenoblade, you've lost me again. (I assume late(60 hours) story spoiler, but who even knows with this game).

So Zanza is just an angry god who wants to recreate the world? Really? That is what everything has been building up to? I just finished all the stuff where Dickson shoots Shulk and Zanza comes out of him, kills Meyneth etc. and reveals that just wants to destroy and recreate the world. Like.... This again? I really thought we were going somewhere cool but he's just gonna tell me he is a generic god-wannabe (well in his case, literally) villain who wants to destroy the world just because he can? I already miss chasing after Egil for simple revenge purposes.

It's a shame because everything else about that scene was amazing. The fact Egil had a purpose to what he was doing, the reasoning of cross breeding Homs/Entia, the entire scene with Mechonis awakening and attacking Bionis. All of that stuff was absolutely great but then it ends with some angry god dude. Bleh.

I hope stuff dramatically changes going forward but right now I really disappointed by the direction the story is going.
You aren't done yet, dude. There's yet another tweeeeest to come.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Dunban has a measly 3K health, like 800 attack max, and much shittier defense.

Like Jintor said, Dunban has low HP and defense because he's not supposed to get hit in the first place. Agility is his stat (well, it's really everybody's stat, but it's of greatest importance to Dunban).

Hiltz

I do agree that
the whole thing with Zanza's part of the story is dull and cliche.
It trivializes things in attempt to make the
plot feel as grand as the scope of the world, but it backfires in my opinion. Some of the crazy stuff is fairly cool and unpredictable, but it reaches such nonsensical heights that you can't help but roll your eyes at it. Based on your response, it sounds like you're all too familiar with how common this stuff is in Japanese storytelling. On the bright side, the ending is touching and the credits music is terrific.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Man, going all around that
snowy mountain
was definitely not worth it, lack of landmarks, barely any quests, and no secret red orbs to pick up for future quests.

ZenaxPure

Oh god I just read everyone of those with Reyn's voice, it's haunting.

You aren't done yet, dude. There's yet another tweeeeest to come.

I hope so, but based on Hiltz response I can pretty much guess where this is going currently.

Also lol the next dungeon.

Not doing sidequests has finally paid off. I am inside Bionis right now and am very underleveled. Every mob is either yellow or red but none of them seem remotely challenging. I am still rocking Riki/Dunban/Shulk though which so far has trivialized pretty much everything so there is that.

Hiltz

Man, going all around that
snowy mountain
was definitely not worth it, lack of landmarks, barely any quests, and no secret red orbs to pick up for future quests.

That location was pretty but a bit disorienting to navigate. It was actually more of a relief that there aren't many side quests there. I think there's like 15 areas with 11 landmarks. There may be 1-2 red orb quests later on in the game. I think one of them is part of a chain quest.

"The head! Shoot him in the head!"

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
That location was pretty but a bit disorienting to navigate. It was actually more of a relief that there aren't many side quests there. I think there's like 15 areas with 11 landmarks. There may be 1-2 red orb quests later on in the game. I think one of them is part of a chain quest.

"The head! Shoot him in the head!"

Yeah, anyway even if there was a lot of quests, i would probably skip most of them since i'm kinda hooked in the story so far (big spoilerz, do not highlight if you havent done the snowy part)
I wanna get Fiora back, she look so badass and sexy in that mechon suit and the shorter hair. Hopefully its sooner than later.

Also, is there some kind of gift chart somewhere? Since some items give 2-3 hearts rather than 1 depending on the character, it would be really useful before i waste them with the wrong guys.

Also, is there some kind of gift chart somewhere? Since some items give 2-3 hearts rather than 1 depending on the character, it would be really useful before i waste them with the wrong guys.

There is, but it's on the all-knowing spreadsheet. Even visiting the gift chart spoils a major part of the game, so do it at your own peril—or at least until you have all your party members.

Here is the link.

Gravijah

16 hours and i am just about to reach the
mines

might as well cancel gamefly, because i'm never going to beat this game.

AniHawk

16 hours and i am just about to reach the
mines

might as well cancel gamefly, because i'm never going to beat this game.

it's not so bad. i'm 30 hours in at level 41 and apparently right before the 50% mark.

longest rpgs for me (non-pokemon):

dragon quest viii: 76 hours
xenogears: 72 hours
skies of arcadia: 60 hours

a new challenger approaches

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm at 26 hours and just got
Melia
in my party. I've probably been pretty slow, but I've completed nearly every quest I can find so far.

Also, this whole forest area is giving me heavy Skies of Arcadia vibes which is a very wonderful thing.

The game isn't paced the same the whole way through; the early parts are relatively light on story and emphasize exploration and questing, while the later parts get very story-heavy and move much quicker. So it's not necessarily the case that if after 20 hours you've seen 25% of the game, the game will take you 80 hours.

Hobbun

Well, I just reached the
Grau plains
area. Trying to
save the boy, but those berserker creatures (can’t remember their name) are handing me my ass
. So for now, I went back to
Colony 9
to finish up some quests and get some more XP.

I’m assuming (or at least hoping) that I’ve just barely scratched the surface of the game. Also, about 11 hours in now.

I’m assuming (or at least hoping) that I’ve just barely scratched the surface of the game. Also, about 11 hours in now.

You've assumed and hoped correctly. ;)

Also, it can't be said enough: people, you can quick travel between areas by going to the maps in the menu. It makes going back to do quests or fight monsters a million times easier.

Hobbun

You've assumed and hoped correctly. ;)

Good to hear!

Also, it can't be said enough: people, you can quick travel between areas by going to the maps in the menu. It makes going back to do quests or fight monsters a million times easier.

Oh yes, I know about the quick travel, and I have used it. When going back to
Colony 9
, I needed to quick travel to a couple locations first, instead going directly to where I wanted, but that was no biggie.

massoluk

Banned
it's not so bad. i'm 30 hours in at level 41 and apparently right before the 50% mark.

I admit it, I fell for the OCD trap myself and almost got burned 3/4 of the way in before decided to screw it and finished the game. I clocked in at a few hours over 100 at level 82 for my first clear save.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'm 28 hours in now, at level 44. Just finished
Prison Island
which was just amazing. That whole region was really. Exploring it was magnificent. I figured out the twist
homs = Mecha
about ten hours in but the reveal of
Fiora being the pink Mecha
didn't hit me until it
spoke
. I am disappointed to find out that this is around the halfway point. I had original heard it was around the 33% point, but I'm guessing that is incorrect. I don't want this to end anytime soon. :/

I have one question for those that have finished; does this have any connection to
Xenogears
? My mind has been trying to put potential connections/nods to it together lol. A one word answer would be appreciated. :)

Prison Island
which was just amazing. That whole region was really. Exploring it was magnificent. I figured out the twist
homs = Mecha
didn't hit me until it
spoke
. I am disappointed to find out that this is around the halfway point. I had original heard it was around the 33% point, but I'm guessing that is incorrect. I don't want this to end anytime soon. :/

I have one question for those that have finished; does this have any connection to
Xenogears
? My mind has been trying to put potential connections/nods to it together lol. A one word answer would be appreciated. :)

The answer to your question:
No, none at all.

And don't worry: there's plenty of story/revelations left. They start coming at you more quickly after the next few areas.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
The answer to your question:
No, none at all.

And don't worry: there's plenty of story/revelations left. They start coming at you more quickly after the next few areas.
Huh.
something about the statues in Alcamoth and Fiora's Mecha just screamed Xenogears to me

Thanks for the quick reply, yeah I'm looking froward to seeing where the story goes from here.
really interested to see who or what Alvin really is, and what the hell him and Zensa are up too.

Ultratech

Think I'm over 160 played. LVL 72. Majestic Mordred is a pain in the ass.

Heh, I remember that thing. Wasn't able to beat it until I went back later
for 7th's weapon quest before reaching the final point of return for the area

It really is a major pain in the ass to beat. Best to use Monado
Purge and Armor
to try and reduce the damage done.

I finally got this in my hands last night after waiting for what feels like forever and played for about 4 hours. Everything seems great from the get go, I'm really excited about what this game has in store for me.

Finally beat Mordred!!!! Riki-Sharla-Reyn. YESSSSSS!!!!! Tough unique. I'm 138 in not 160. Wasted a good 10 hours on stupid stuff. Shocked to see under 100 though. Must not have done many quests.

wsippel

Banned
Prison Island
homs = Mecha
didn't hit me until it
spoke

Xenogears
Hard to say, really. Overall, it's probably the halfway point, but story wise, it's closer to one fourth of the game - maybe even less.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Spent pretty much all my time (about 2 hours) yesterday, just doing side stuff. Mostly in Colony 9. Didn't progress at all in the central story.

Gravijah

we'll see if this passes persona 3/4. put 140 hours each into 'em in one playthrough.

Top Bottom