• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade (Wii, Monolithsoft x Nintendo) Information Thread

zoukka

Eh yeah the characters were a bit iffy, but really I was fucking surprised about that latest trailer. The scenery actually looked inviting and didn't have that crammy look that so many JRPG:s have even in outdoor areas. So why don't I just speak honestly and say that this looks way more pleasing than any HD JRPG at the moment. Tales of Vesperia looks nice, but I hate the Tales franchise with burning passion.

Now this doesn't mean I'd wait it to be a good game, but at least it looks inviting.

Yeah, the character models need work. They look worse than DQ VIII and FF XII on the PS2 and those are games with large scale (DQ VIII is cel shaded though, so it's more reasonable to compare it with FF XII) but the environments look nice and so does the art direction for sure, particularly in some areas than others.

I love how they add mysterious things to do the trailer like at the end too :) Hope we see gameplay next. Gonna play the Xenosaga series soon too since i recently got all 3 games :D

Dascu

Graphics and area design look like a poor man's Final Fantasy 12.

But FF12 was fuck-awesome so I don't give a shit. Very interested in seeing more on this game.

wsippel

Banned
Dascu said:

But FF12 was fuck-awesome so I don't give a shit. Very interested in seeing more on this game.
I think the environment looks a lot more interesting and better overall, actually.

duckroll

wsippel said:
I think the environment looks a lot more interesting and better overall, actually.

Hard to really tell. All we've seen in actual footage so far are Monster Hunter areas, kinda generic looking and while it's wide open there's nothing very interesting about it. Looks like any other field, grassland, waterfall, mountain, etc. FFXII had some really amazing looking environments and massive cities with really nice architecture. We haven't seen anything even remotely close to that in the trailers of Xenoblade so far.

Other than horrible characters and -- I swear I'm not exaggerating -- N64 textures, this game looks fine. The colors look different compared to the clear Famitsu scans we saw. The grass looks all yellow and shit. It could be the trailer distorting the colors too, because they were definitely green in the scans.

heringer

The character models are worse than Disaster's. I wonder if this is due to the scope of the game or just laziness.

Anyway, environment at least looks nice.

Dascu

heringer said:
The character models are worse than Disaster's. I wonder if this is due to the scope of the game or just laziness.

Anyway, environment at least looks nice.
They're a little bit worse than the main character, but holy hell, they're leagues beyond the NPC models.

ILikeFeet

Banned
duckroll said:
Hard to really tell. All we've seen in actual footage so far are Monster Hunter areas, kinda generic looking and while it's wide open there's nothing very interesting about it. Looks like any other field, grassland, waterfall, mountain, etc. FFXII had some really amazing looking environments and massive cities with really nice architecture. We haven't seen anything even remotely close to that in the trailers of Xenoblade so far.

what about the areas in the first trailer? they looked good.

Bizzyb

Banned
SilverLunar said:
The faces, these horrid faces,

they are burning my eyes.

I really don't see how people are accepting these faces. It's 2010 for goodness sakes. Skies of Arcadia on Dreamcast had better looking character models/faces, albeit it was a totally different art direction.

Vinci

Danish
Dascu said:

It in any way resembling FF XII is where most of my interest is coming from. So yeah, details would be good.

EDIT: And yes, the faces are worthless.

heringer

Dascu said:
They're a little bit worse than the main character, but holy hell, they're leagues beyond the NPC models.
I beg to differ. They are a lot worse than a lot of characters.

disaster-day-of-crisis-screens-20080912072415297.jpg

disaster-day-of-crisis-screens-20080912072421203.jpg

disaster-day-of-crisis-screens-20080912072436031.jpg

disaster-day-of-crisis-screens-20080902102358337_640w.jpg

disaster-day-of-crisis-screens-20080902102406196_640w.jpg

Nothing great, but definitely better than Xenoblade.

Granted, these are models of fairly important characters, but I doubt Xenoblade's non story related NPC's will fare much better than Disaster's.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Vinci said:
It in any way resembling FF XII is where most of my interest is coming from. So yeah, details would be good.

EDIT: And yes, the faces are worthless.

truth. mainly interesting in FF12 similarities. as long as I can control the other characters by gambits (and the ability to override them)

wrowa

I am a bit disappointed by the trailers, since the art design looked much more promising on the screens than it actually does in motion. That's not really that big of a deal to me, though, I still have my hopes up that we are going to see some really nicely designed areas in the game. I can also live with the design of the characters, not much of a problem - but the textures on the other hand... They are just awful. "N64 textures" is a qute fitting description, sadly.

heringer

Dascu said:
The faces are better, but otherwise it's on par or worse.
Well, I disagree. It's not only the faces. I mean, look at the clothes, hands, hair, textures and everything else. No way Xenoblade's characters are better than that. Or even on par.

MYE

Dascu said:

Yeah, but Ray's model was pretty damn good.
His animations where also spot-on. Only bad models where the NPC's you saved.

Man, i really loved DDoC :D
I might get shit for this but it was one of the most enjoyable games i played this gen and one of the few i felt like replaying right after finishing.

...and no, i'm not a Wii-only owner (i hate that i have to say this shit).

Hero of Legend said:
I don't really see the big deal about the characters, is it the same person who designed the characters in Xenosaga and Xenogears? Looks a bit similar from what I've seen of those games.
they all have foot faces

heringer

MYE said:

I might get shit for this but it was one of the most enjoyable games i played this gen and one of the few i felt like replaying right after finishing.

I wouldn't say it's one of the most enjoyable games I've played this gen, but I definitely enjoyed. Technically is very hit and miss, but I think they handled the theme well enough and the gameplay was fun, if flawed. Plus, it is awesomely cheesy. If they were to make a sequel I would be all over it. Never gonna happen though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
e3-2009-monado-screenshots-20090602111330220_640w.jpg

monado__beginning_of_the_world_screen_8.jpg

Bizzyb said:
I really don't see how people are accepting these faces. It's 2010 for goodness sakes. Skies of Arcadia on Dreamcast had better looking character models/faces, albeit it was a totally different art direction.

skies.jpg

skies_cs_0512.jpg

if you say so

Cow Mengde said:
Other than horrible characters and -- I swear I'm not exaggerating -- N64 textures, this game looks fine.

Zelda%20Ocarina%20of%20Time.jpg

20080926_Banjo_Kazooie_01.jpg

dk64_790screen005.jpg

you sure

fyi here's the best looking ps1 3d game as a point of comparison:
sig_image.jpg

vagrant_story_004.jpg

ILikeFeet

Banned
Dascu said:
The faces are better, but otherwise it's on par or worse.

no they are straight-up worse. both in models and textures. it's just bad.

at the point, the only redeeming graphical value is the size of the enviroment

can anyone translate the dialogue?

This thread has become a shoot out to see who can compare this to the most basic looking game without arousing suspicion that they're doing it purposely.

Let me try my hand at it.

Wow, what did they make this on, the Commodore 64? I've seen better looking graphics on Tiger LCD games, I swear to God.

heringer

ShockingAlberto said:
This thread has become a shoot out to see who can compare this to the most basic looking game without arousing suspicion that they're doing it purposely.

Let me try my hand at it.

Wow, what did they make this on, the Commodore 64? I've seen better looking graphics on Tiger LCD games, I swear to God.
Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I think my comparison with Monolith's latest game is perfectly valid.

batbeg

MYE said:

I voted for it as GOTY 08... even over many other beloveds, such as Mirror's Edge.

Needless to say, my GOTY did not rank particularly high.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ILikeFeet said:
isn't that screen from E3 last year? and the sword got redesigned. old news but it looks much better than it used to.

the direct feed screens are e3 09, yes. i just didn't want to cap the youtube video and have people bitch about compression artifacts :p

Sadist

The character models are pretty bland, but the environments look pretty awesome.

Edit: I think you can't compare Disaster and Xenoblade though. Totally different style.

I think the main problem is they are treating the Wii like it was a PS2 and not taking advantage of what the Wii is actually graphically capable of.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Sadist said:
The character models are pretty bland, but the environments look pretty awesome.

Edit: I think you can't compare Disaster and Xenoblade though. Totally different style.

I don't think style has anything to do with it. it seems obvious that the character models in Xenoblade are made up on few polygons and a low quality textures.

batbeg

bloodforge said:
I think the main problem is they are treating the Wii like it was a PS2 and not taking advantage of what the Wii is actually graphically capable of.

I imagine the problem is that they're treating the game like they had a specific budget and aren't exactly technical wizards of pushing systems to the max anyway.

Top Bottom