• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade (Wii, Monolithsoft x Nintendo) Information Thread

wsippel

Banned
B.K. said:
Because they lost access to the one thing that they were founded to create? Bandai Namco owns the Xenosaga IP and everything related to the series. Takahasi and the others founded Monolithsoft just to make it and now, they can't even touch it.
Contrary to Xenogears, I'm sure they actually could touch that IP. They do. Even if Nintendo didn't buy the IP, NBGI still owns a small part of Monolith, and Monolith still develops for NBGI, including games that actually use characters from the Xenosaga franchise. I doubt NBGI would greenlight a full blown Xenosaga 4, but I don't really believe that would have happened even if Nintendo hadn't acquired Monolith.

Yamauchi

Banned
Just watched the two trailers. Game looks great to me. Yeah, the textures are pretty lame, but I can live with that. Great music, looks epic, etc.

ILikeFeet

Banned
wsippel said:
Contrary to Xenogears, I'm sure they actually could touch that IP. They do. Even if Nintendo didn't buy the IP, NBGI still owns a small part of Monolith, and Monolith still develops for NBGI, including games that actually use characters from the Xenosaga franchise. I doubt NBGI would greenlight a full blown Xenosaga 4, but I don't really believe that would have happened even if Nintendo hadn't acquired Monolith.

but wouldn't the game have to be for a Nintendo platform since they own 80+ percent of MS?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ShockingAlberto said:
The worst thing that could have ever happened to Monolithsoft was a bomb going off in their offices

Maybe next step up was completely going out of business

I'm not sure how "being purchased by the world's biggest publisher" is worse than any of those

Gtfo with that "reality" bull. You know Gaf thrives on hyperbole.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
B.K. said:
Because they lost access to the one thing that they were founded to create? Bandai Namco owns the Xenosaga IP and everything related to the series. Takahasi and the others founded Monolithsoft just to make it and now, they can't even touch it.
You know very well that it was Namco that cut the series short and pulled the plug after all the changes it went through. Was there any indication that Namco was changing their minds? Not to mention they can continue Xenosaga or even get back to Xenogears at some point with Nintendo, they are a first party developer now. There was no guarantee that MonolithSoft would have been better off with Namco.

B.K. said:
So the worst thing that could ever happen to them is that they no longer could make Xenosaga games even though Namco was clearly done with making Xenosaga games and Namco was pretty much done with them.

AdroitOne

Neo Member
Yeah, I think becoming a first party developer for Nintendo has to be one of the best things to happen for a developer.

As of right now, this is my second most anticipated game of the year, right behind Metroid: Other M. Yes, I want this more than Galaxy 2 right now :D

heringer

Buggy Loop said:
Such a good graphic engine, and its nintendo 1st party... i hope it gets shared around. Monolithsoft was N's best acquisition in a long time.
Eh, I dunno. Monolithsoft isn't exactly bringing the big bucks to the table. Really, they haven't made anything sucessfull since then.

AdroitOne

Neo Member
heringer said:
Eh, I dunno. Monolithsoft isn't exactly bringing the big bucks to the table. Really, they haven't made anything sucessfull since then.

Well, if Nintendo would actually market the games Monolith makes, maybe their games could be successful.

Buggy Loop

heringer said:

I dont own stocks in nintendo so why would i give a damn about big bucks. Xenoblade is my most hyped RPG this year, on all platforms, xenosaga epIII rocked, i love monolithsoft. Im sure it'll do well on Wii since its RPG starved and this looks like it had a budget behind it to begin with.

B.K. said:
Because they lost access to the one thing that they were founded to create?

If you're judging outcomes for Monolithsoft solely based on what happens to Xenosaga, then the worst thing that ever happened to Monolithsoft is the way that Takahashi totally sucks at doing his job

heringer

Buggy Loop said:
I dont own stocks in nintendo so why would i give a damn about big bucks. Xenoblade is my most hyped RPG this year, on all platforms, xenosaga epIII rocked, i love monolithsoft. Im sure it'll do well on Wii since its RPG starved and this looks like it had a budget behind it to begin with.
Because if Monolith's games don't sell they won't get funds to make more. So yeah, I think you should give a damn about big bucks.

And sadly I think the game will bomb pretty hard if it ever gets released on US. Should do fairly well on Japan though.

It's over a huuuundred! Seamless world, great draw-map, no breaks... this is my game right here.

Fake, yet wowed.

Now... WHO THE FUCK IS THE CHAR-DESIGNER OF THIS SHIT? Characters are shaping up to be the biggest shit ever. And I do mean ever.

NOT
Looking forward to the website's characters tab. :(

duckroll

AceBandage said:
Hopefully that, plus Nintendo's recent marketing blitz, help it sell well.
Unlike Disaster and Soma Bringer.

Soma Bringer sold 100k. If you think that's bad, then well, don't expect this to sell a whole lot better. End of Eternity sold like 200k across both HD platforms, and tri-Ace has a much better sales record than Monolithsoft. :p

B.K.

Sammy Samusu said:
Now... WHO THE FUCK IS THE CHAR-DESIGNER OF THIS SHIT? Characters are shaping up to be the biggest shit ever. And I do mean ever.

Whoever it was that did the character design on Soma Bringer.

Really like the glimpses of the world I've had thus far. These huge, vibrant landscapes which appear to be on two massive dead mecha-ish things. My interest is definitely piqued.

tino

Banned
I can not tell if the score is by Yuki Kajiura. But who ever is doing the music for this one, it sounds like he/she is dialing it to 11!

It's hard press to spend 200+ just to play a the game. Let me see if I can use my PS3 to borrow the Wii from my friend.

Also, fuck the Xenosaga haters.

B.K.

duckroll said:
Tadahiro Usuda worked on Xenogears and all the Xenosaga games too though...

Is that who the designer for Soma Bringer was? I never did know his/her name.

tino said:
I can not tell if the score is by Yuki Kajiura.

It's not. It's already been confirmed that the composer for the game is Shimomura.

duckroll

B.K. said:
Is that who the designer for Soma Bringer was? I never did know his/her name.

Yeah. Usuda seems to have been promoted to main character designer on Takahashi projects at Monolithsoft after they stopped using Tanaka. It's really unfortunate, because I think his art is pretty crappy. It's really amateur. He was a NPC designer on XG and XS, and responsible for some of the more horrid looking "costumes" in the Xenosaga games. I'm sure you can see the resemblance in the Soma Bringer designs, especially the silly outfits.

anaron

Additionally, it also seems that the soundtrack bonus item will include something that will please fans of the past Xeno series titles.

Wonder if it'll be Joanne Hogg on vocals or something.

Yeah. Usuda seems to have been promoted to main character designer on Takahashi projects at Monolithsoft after they stopped using Tanaka. It's really unfortunate, because I think his art is pretty crappy. It's really amateur. He was a NPC designer on XG and XS, and responsible for some of the more horrid looking "costumes" in the Xenosaga games. I'm sure you can see the resemblance in the Soma Bringer designs, especially the silly outfits.

They should just use Soraya as their character designer. Her art has a pretty similiar style to Tanaka's and I'm assuming it'd be cheaper, no?

Cipherr

heringer said:
Because if Monolith's games don't sell they won't get funds to make more. So yeah, I think you should give a damn about big bucks.

I hear that Fire emblem games light up the charts, and have for years.

Oh wait no I didnt. Nintendo keeps entries going in MANY low selling franchises just for the sake of having as close to a well rounded balance as they themselves can maintain. If they like the IP and the studio, they are going to keep them a 1st party, regardless of the game sales.

Nintendo is the only one I would say this about. Rare was kicking ass and they let them go in what felt like the fever pitch of their success. I dont think the sales of the games means nearly as much as you do for them.

duckroll

Puncture said:

Actually they do. They're really low budget games, with no voice acting, low on cutscenes, really low end graphics, but yet they sell very well consistently. Every portable entry of Fire Emblem has sold 200-300+k. The series is less popular on the GC and Wii, but still sold over 150k each.

Edit: 6 Fire Emblem titles were released from 2002 to 2008. Total sales in Japan? 1.4 million.

B.K.

duckroll said:

Yeah. I've got the Episode II Complete Graphics art book. It's obvious that some of the characters in that book were desgined by the guy who did Soma Bringer. I just never knew who it was.

All I care about is if this has some pseudo-Judeo-Christian symbolism and convoluted philosophical existential juvenille pyscho bable. Oh and robots.

Puncture said:

Oh wait no I didnt. Nintendo keeps entries going in MANY low selling franchises just for the sake of having as close to a well rounded balance as they themselves can maintain. If they like the IP and the studio, they are going to keep them a 1st party, regardless of the game sales.
What, this is bullshit

heringer

Puncture said:

Nintendo is the only one I would say this about. Rare was kicking ass and they let them go in what felt like the fever pitch of their success. I dont think the sales of the games means nearly as much as you do for them.
Yeah, Nintendo doesn't care about sales. They're all about sugar and love.

Fire Emblem games actually sell fairly well, specially considering their budget.

duckroll

Apparently the Japanese retail chain Sofmap is on twitter (who isn't?), and they've tweeted that they've received the store trailer disc for Xenoblade from Nintendo. This is apparently the soonest they've ever gotten a promotional trailer from Nintendo after a release date is announced. :lol

Sounds like the info blow out might start as early as next week.

duckroll said:
Apparently the Japanese retail chain Sofmap is on twitter (who isn't?), and they've tweeted that they've received the store trailer disc for Xenoblade from Nintendo. This is apparently the soonest they've ever gotten a promotional trailer from Nintendo after a release date is announced. :lol

Sounds like the info blow out might start as early as next week.

A bit late for Nintendo to learn how to market games, isn't it?

duckroll

AceBandage said:
A bit late for Nintendo to learn how to market games, isn't it?

I'm pretty sure the comment was meant to be somewhat sarcastic, referring to how Nintendo generally doesn't give a crap about retailer promotions at all and expect games to just sell on brand power alone.

Yamauchi

Banned
In my opinion, Mitsuda is unrivaled. Chrono Cross is my favorite soundtrack of all time. However, the music on the site seems very nice so far.

cacildo

Andrex said:
Xenoblade%20Theomachia.PNG

You know, come to think of it...

The very thought of human beings living in the body of gods..

You know, thinking about the scale of the environment.. and the gravity... a charactert living in the hand of the monster, walking, and fighting and stuff...

You, know, that´s pretty wild.

BRO

ILikeFeet

Banned
cacildo said:
You know, come to think of it...

The very thought of human beings living in the body of gods..

You know, thinking about the scale of the environment.. and the gravity... a charactert living in the hand of the monster, walking, and fighting and stuff...

You, know, that´s pretty wild.

BRO

actually, the game starts on the organic (Kishi or something) god's foot and then you proceed up and then over to Kishin (the mechanical god)

seady

Knowing NOA, this game will probably not coming to America. :(
The most we could get will probably be a quiet release by Atlus, and then proceed on becoming a niche title selling poorly.

Top Bottom