• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xeodrifter coming out on Dec. 11 in NA (3DS eShop, $9.99)

L~A

Just announced by Renegade Kid. If you don't know what Xeodrifter is, it's a retro-style Metroidvania. Here's a trailer.

B4BeQknCIAEL3HW.jpg:large

Austin, Texas – December 4, 2014 – Today, Renegade Kid announced their eagerly anticipated neo-retro platformer, Xeodrifter™, will be available on December 11, 2014 for $9.99 USD in North America – exclusively in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS™.

Xeodrifter™ is the story of an interstellar drifter traveling the stars on a simple mission of exploration. We join our nomad as he embarks on the investigation of a small cluster of four planets in the omega sector, after a collision with a rogue asteroid damaged his warp core.

A scan of the neighboring planets revealed a number of energy signatures, which may provide the special material needed to replace the damaged warp core and get back to cruising through the cosmos. However, what began as a routine away-mission to fix his engine quickly spirals into a dangerous game of search, shoot, and survive.

Blast your way through alien landscapes, seek out valuable secrets, and defeat ancient guardians to unlock powers from a legendary supreme culture in this exciting journey of mystery and adventure.

Features:
• Classic 2D platforming, shooting, and exploration gameplay.
• Unlock legendary power-ups and gain access to new areas.
• Epic boss encounters that test your skills.
• Collect upgrades to extend your health and equip custom gun enhancements.
• Navigate your ship between neighboring planets.
• Seek out special blocks, hidden pathways, and more to reveal useful secrets.

No date for Europe, but it probably won't be before another couple of weeks, if not months.

Coppanuva

Sounds cool, but any pics? I haven't even heard of this and I try to keep myself at least somewhat Renegade Kid is up to.

Tom_Cody

I've been waiting to hear more about this one after hearing the Radio Free Nintendo crew talk about it.

I'm optimistic about it, but I'll wait to hear what GAF thinks about it once it's released.

L~A

I swear that was edited in after I commented... or I'm just really tired.

Looks ok I guess. If it feels better than Mutant Mudds I'm interested, that game just didn't control how I like to.

Yeah, looks like I edited at the same time as you posted. But it wasn't a retort, just a heads up :D

rjc571

Banned
Didn't Renegade Kid themselves say that this was going to be an extremely short game? Definitely gonna wait before dropping 10 bucks on it. Mutant Mudds was amazing but I haven't been too impressed by their output since then.

I can't wait but I'm sad to say I think that price will be a tad too high for some given the gaming world we live in these days. Especially if the game is a few hours max. Whatever. Renegade Kid almost always delivers and this has done nothing but look awesome from the first development diary.

If this is anything like Mutant Mudds as far as length and play time, it's so bought. I put some hours into that game and it felt good every step of the way.

Stencil

Whoa that looks pretty awesome... Never played Mutant Mudds but always heard its praises sung here on GAF, but it never grabbed my attention like the trailer for this has.

Why is $10 too expensive for this? It looks fun and that's like... 1/6 the price of a regularly priced game. Eshop titles at $10 doesn't surprise me, I don't think thats too much to ask for if you're getting a quality experience. IPhone games and such can afford to only be $1, on the other hand, because of Microtransactions and overall lack of quality and structure. I applaud independent developers who are willing to take the financial risk of releasing something less likely to make money (i.e.: a Nintendo eshop game) as opposed to making something simple and stupid that they have a better chance at fucking people over with (i.e. an iPhone game).

rjc571

Banned
Why is $10 too expensive for this? It looks fun and that's like... 1/6 the price of a regularly priced game. Eshop titles at $10 doesn't surprise me, I don't think thats too much to ask for if you're getting a quality experience. IPhone games and such can afford to only be $1, on the other hand, because of Microtransactions and overall lack of quality and structure. I applaud independent developers who are willing to take the financial risk of releasing something less likely to make money (i.e.: a Nintendo eshop game) as opposed to making something simple and stupid that they have a better chance at fucking people over with (i.e. an iPhone game).

The developers said to expect the game to have a similar length and scope as Ikachan. Ikachan was originally developed as a prototype; it takes 45 minutes to beat, it was never even intended for public consumption, and the 3DS commercial release is already considered a poor value at 5 dollars, half the price of Xeodrifter.

The developers said to expect the game to have a similar length and scope as Ikachan. Ikachan was originally developed as a prototype; it takes 45 minutes to beat, it was never even intended for public consumption, and the 3DS commercial release is already considered a poor value at 5 dollars, half the price of Xeodrifter.
Really? Damn. I bought Ikachan because I loved Cave Story so much and was disappointed at how short it was. How can a Metroidvania type game be that short?

rjc571

Banned
Wait the game takes 45min to finish?

Damn i was looking forward to at least 5h of gameplay.

We don't know yet, but the developer of Xeodrifter said that it would be the same length as Ikachan, which only takes about 45 minutes to beat.

It's kind of a moot point for me, since Nintendo blocked the homebrew launcher with an update and I don't want to sacrifice homebrew to visit the eshop.

Tom_Cody

We don't know yet, but the developer of Xeodrifter said that it would be the same length as Ikachan, which only takes about 45 minutes to beat.

It's kind of a moot point for me, since Nintendo blocked the homebrew launcher with an update and I don't want to sacrifice homebrew to visit the eshop.
:(

DirtyLarry

For some reason I thought this released today. Good to know it is tomorrow as I would have been going crazy on the eShop. I am really looking forward to this game, plus it will give my 3DS some love.

This is per-planet.

The original scope was within that time frame.

zroid

Banned

wow really...

the game looks cool but man I dunno then. I'll wait for reviews/impressions.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I've heard different things on the length so I figured I'd wait for reviews from sited or GAF. Game doesn't need to be super long, but 45 mins isn't gonna cut it.

ys45

Saw this earlier on Steam and it caught my eye .
But that 45 minutes to beat thing is kind of a turn off .

So I will wait for some impressions .

OnPoint

I didn't know about the comparison before... Ikachan is really short. And if this is only 45 minutes, maybe $10 is too high.

This will almost certainly see a mobile/PC release eventually, but it's neat that it's 3DS exclusive and I'll be glad to pick it up.

What perfect timing. I'm spending the weekend over at my parents's house so I know what I'll be doing once they have gone to bed.

Phawx

Last place I cross post into. Figure this is the last relevant thread.

I played Xeodrifter. Impressions and Let's Play below:

If Nintendo asked Renegade Kid to make a Metroid game, Xeodrifter would be it. Everything that makes Metroid great is featured in Xeodrifter.

My Let's Play can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygvew8U9Fyo

Shooting, platforming, areas unlock based upon items/power-ups, and an emphasis on exploration. What Renegade Kid has done is put their spin on it. Please excuse this quick aside but it should be noted that if you were given a bunch of pixel art styles along a police lineup, It would be very easy to I.D. Renegade Kid's animation. So, well done for having a unique and recognizable look with so few pixels. To segue Renegade Kid's previous work in here, if you've played Mutant Mudds or are aware of it's notable feature, the multi-depth parallax platforming works so amazingly well in Xeodrifter that using the buzzword synergy is appropriate here. There were a few times that the background just drifted off in the periphery of my attention, but thanks to brilliant game design, there are enemies or objects moving that punctuates the setting to capture your attention and give you that eureka "Ah-ha!" moment to make you feel like a genius. There are also times when you just need to be paying attention because there are power-ups idly sitting.

Speaking of power-ups, Xeodrifter handles weapon upgrades as points to your gun that you can repurpose at will and even create up to three quick-slot configurations to deftly switch in between. There are a few methods to upgrade your gun. You can make your bullets larger, shoot faster, do more damage, spread shot or do a sine-wave pattern. There are certain enemies, like Giant-Eye-Lazer-Death-Cube-Thing that can be dispatched quicker with the sinewave upgrade. So figuring out what works best in a certain aspect and one that is entirely decided by you, works hand-in-hand with the non-linear exploration of the game.

Also I didn't mention it yet, but traversing to the four different areas of the game is done via a small little spaceship. It barely plays any role outside of being a hub, but it's a very nice touch.

One thing that I find a bit lacking is the boss fights. So far there is just one boss that is varied each event. I am conflicted with this because there is enough variety, especially when you consider the parallax battling, and new "tells" that need to be learned to not feel stale. However, I really wish there were more completely original bosses. I can understand the amount of time to conceive and implement original bosses is non-trivial, so it is appreciated that the one boss continually finds new ways to make use of all of the power-ups. That is essentially the only negative thing I can say about Xeodrifter.

Lastly, the secrets. Yes there is a grid-based map. And yes, after you've revealed a secret it is indicated on the grid-based map via a special indicator. There are also a few easter eggs and funnily enough even though I would call Xeodrifter a Metroidlike as opposed to a Metroidvania game, there are early Castlevania Chicken-in-the-wall secrets to be found.

Also, I didn't know where to fit this so I apologize for that, but even the little details like the bullet particle effects and splashing in the water being dynamic is a great touch. Love the little details.

If you like Metroid or Metroidvania games, Xeodrifer is a no-brainer. You need to buy this. It will make you happy. I don't usually hand out guarantees* but in this instance, I guarantee* it.

*guarantee offered is for humor purposes only. I have no means of offering any sort of guarantee :)

Tom_Cody

If you like Metroid or Metroidvania games, Xeodrifer is a no-brainer. You need to buy this. It will make you happy. I don't usually hand out guarantees* but in this instance, I guarantee* it.
Thanks for the overview! Sounds awesome.

Top Bottom