• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED announces E3 line-up [Trails of Cold Steel, PopoloCrois, Estival Versus]

scamander

Banned
I got a reply from them about SoS just last week. What else can they do if they can't talk about it for whatever reason? There are obvioulsy some issues with the release of that game and not just laziness or ineptitude.

The only reason I can think of, why they can't talk about it, is because their management tells them not to talk about it. If there are issues with the release (and that's a very big 'if', because it is not uncommon for Europeans to have to wait 6+ months after the US release for games from Japanese mid-tier developers), I don't see why they couldn't just tell us this.

Probably because the only reason is, Europe is Marvelous unloved stepchild.

Read the Trails blog entry yesterday and I'm satisfied overall. Its not the optimal route but way better than before, very good news Falcom themselves approached XSEED for more timely releases of the Sen duo.

For the Sky trilogy, maybe I expected a bit more optimism with the third entry localization (and SC release date to be honest), but I guess they don't want to be burned again, hopefully the PSP and PC combo can show them good SC numbers so they work on it simultaneously with the newer entries.
They didn't say anything about the PS3 ports, which I thought could be a good way to recoup some costs and get bigger/better presence on the console-front. IIRC, they were PSP remasters (problem with SCEA?) and Falcom-handled.

Crossbell titles seem to be at the worst position, they didn't talk about the "Evolution" ports so I guess those are off the radar since it involves different parties and licenses. Falcom themselves haven't ported to PS3 either, so I guess these will get lowest priority for now.

Cold Steel-wise, all sounds good, we get the first this year and they are already at work on the second, and Falcom is still tight-lipped about the next one so there's a bit of time. As for their platforms, I guess any new game will be coming to PS4 so they just have these two with smaller windows, plus with the renewed interest within Falcom regarding PC development, maybe we could see them down the line on it (and perhaps PS4 as well if they intend to continue the series there).

Anyway, looking like a good year-end for "Trails" western fans and good prospects about the future.

The only reason I can think of, why they can't talk about it, is because their management tells them not to talk about it. If there are issues with the release (and that's a very big 'if', because it is not uncommon for Europeans to have to wait 6+ months after the US release for games from Japanese mid-tier developers), I don't see why they couldn't just tell us this.

Probably because the only reason is, Europe is Marvelous unloved stepchild.

You can believe what you want, but if they had no intention to release their games in EU Marvelous EU wouldn't need to exist. I'm all for publishers being completely open, but sometimes that just isn't possible. They're a small team of 5 people and I'm sure they're doing what they can. As you said, Maiden Heaven released simultaneously and they're planning to do the same for SK2.

scamander

Banned
You can believe what you want, but if they had no intention to release their games in EU Marvelous EU wouldn't need to exist. I'm all for publishers being completely open, but sometimes that just isn't possible. They're a small team of 5 people and I'm sure they're doing what they can. As you said, Maiden Heaven released simultaneously and they're planning to do the same for SK2.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming their European branch here. I think they have very little power over how they communicate with their fans, what they are allowed to reveal and when their games launch here.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Read the Trails blog entry yesterday and I'm satisfied overall. Its not the optimal route but way better than before, very good news Falcom themselves approached XSEED for more timely releases of the Sen duo.

For the Sky trilogy, maybe I expected a bit more optimism with the third entry localization (and SC release date to be honest), but I guess they don't want to be burned again, hopefully the PSP and PC combo can show them good SC numbers so they work on it simultaneously with the newer entries.
They didn't say anything about the PS3 ports, which I thought could be a good way to recoup some costs and get bigger/better presence on the console-front. IIRC, they were PSP remasters (problem with SCEA?) and Falcom-handled.

Crossbell titles seem to be at the worst position, they didn't talk about the "Evolution" ports so I guess those are off the radar since it involves different parties and licenses. Falcom themselves haven't ported to PS3 either, so I guess these will get lowest priority for now.

Cold Steel-wise, all sounds good, we get the first this year and they are already at work on the second, and Falcom is still tight-lipped about the next one so there's a bit of time. As for their platforms, I guess any new game will be coming to PS4 so they just have these two with smaller windows, plus with the renewed interest within Falcom regarding PC development, maybe we could see them down the line on it (and perhaps PS4 as well if they intend to continue the series there).

Anyway, looking like a good year-end for "Trails" western fans and good prospects about the future.

Evolution versions seem to be off the table due to the huge amount of voice acting and the fact it's a much more complicated licensing situation. And SCEA's guidelines seem to be the problem with the PS3 version of the trilogy.

All three games that were skipped have PC versions, but I still haven't seen anything about the quality Falcom's Zero release. Apparently the original Chinese version was pretty bad, but supposedly that was because of the ridiculous DRM?

Soriku

Sen 1 and 2 is pretty crazy. There are too many good games coming out lol.

Also, at this point, any more chance for the PS3 remasters of FC and SC coming over?

Tohsaka

Sen 1 and 2 is pretty crazy. There are too many good games coming out lol.

Also, at this point, any more chance for the PS3 remasters of FC and SC coming over?

Probably not, due to SCEA's stupid policy against them. They're technically not real PS3 games, they're some sort of upscaled PSP port and don't contain trophies and the other features associated with PS3 games.

Theonik

So I haven't read this thread in its entirety. Any ETAs for these games?
I guess some of it has a chance to slip to 2016? It would be amazing if they were all out before the holidays.

Retishi

XSEED Sales
So I haven't read this thread in its entirety. Any ETAs for these games?
I guess some of it has a chance to slip to 2016? It would be amazing if they were all out before the holidays.

I would say anything marked as "Winter" is fair game for slipping into the next year. Something marked as "Fall" indicates a certain degree of confidence of releasing within the year.

Theonik

read the first post
You expect me to READ?!

I would say anything marked as "Winter" is fair game for slipping into the next year. Something marked as "Fall" indicates a certain degree of confidence of releasing within the year.
Thanks that about answers my question. Hoping Estival Versus makes it for 2015, was thinking that one had a chance of slipping to January. If you say the fall games are likely to release this year that's good. Really nice lineup you have there.

I suspect XSEED's current public stance on TC is significantly more pessimistic than their own all-things-considered internal stance, which tells me they learned well from the (two!) problematic Trails announcements. Just from a business standpoint, if SC winds up being super successful on PC, tackling TC becomes a pretty obvious choice, but it's better to keep far, far away from hinting that it's likely or anything when there are still a lot of unknowns.

Clov

Xseed seems to have a great lineup of titles for E3! I'll be picking up Corpse Party and Popolocrois for sure when they release.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Think we will ever get the Nayuta games or has that ship sailed?

I'm hoping one day eventually we can get all of the Kiseki titles in English.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Nayuta has a fan translation at least, and even if the quality of the translation isn't great it's more like an Ys game than a Kiseki one. The draw is its combat/gameplay, not the story.

Zero also has a fan translation in the works, but who knows if or when that will get done, how well it will tie in with the official releases, and how well it will be translated in general.

Nayuta has a fan translation at least, and even if the quality of the translation isn't great it's more like an Ys game than a Kiseki one. The draw is its combat/gameplay, not the story.

Zero also has a fan translation in the works, but who knows if or when that will get done, how well it will tie in with the official releases, and how well it will be translated in general.

Oh it does have a fan patch? Guess I'll check that out down the road I can pretty much play it whenever as it has no ties to the other Kiseki games right?

wrowa

Maiden Heaven is also digital-only. Delays only seem to happen when Marvelous sees potential for a physical release in Europe, which for whatever reason is just not going quite smoothly.

If there aren't some licensing issues preventing a release in the European market, then I'd assume that we'll get Popolocrois sooner or later. Whether it's sooner rather than later likely depends on whether or not a physical release is deemed viable/beneficial.

Depends on the sales.

Nah, I think Tom already said in the past that Nayuta is not in the cards. And it's understandable: A PSP-only localization in 2015/2016 just doesn't make sense from a business point of view.

I suspect XSEED's current public stance on TC is significantly more pessimistic than their own all-things-considered internal stance, which tells me they learned well from the (two!) problematic Trails announcements. Just from a business standpoint, if SC winds up being super successful on PC, tackling TC becomes a pretty obvious choice, but it's better to keep far, far away from hinting that it's likely or anything when there are still a lot of unknowns.

Not sure if it's that easy. Falcom puts out quite a lot of Trails games these days and - assuming Sen proves the series to be viable in the west - I don't think that Xseed wants to fall behind the Japanese release schedule again. So, it kind of depends on how many resources they can spare for the Trails series or if they'll ever be able to squeeze TC in-between localization of future Trails games somehow.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Oh it does have a fan patch? Guess I'll check that out down the road I can pretty much play it whenever as it has no ties to the other Kiseki games right?

Apparently it has some references but as a whole, it's not connected to the ongoing story like the main series games.

Not sure if it's that easy. Falcom puts out quite a lot of Trails games these days and - assuming Sen proves the series to be viable in the west - I don't think that Xseed wants to fall behind the Japanese release schedule again. So, it kind of depends on how many resources they can spare for the Trails series or if they'll ever be able to squeeze TC in-between localization of future Trails games somehow.

Well, they are working on three right now, finishing up SC, working on Cold Steel, and the translation of Cold Steel 2 is in progress. If the series is successful enough for them to continue pursuing I don't think it's outlandish to have one of the previous games in the works alongside a new game until they are caught up.

The third chapter in particular is apparently relatively small compared to the rest of the series, I've seen Tom suggest that it may have something like half the text of FC and the Sen games.

zakujanai

Geeze the haters/possible trolls went into XSEED's forums in full-force today...

Hopefully these are just a vocal minority and not truly representative of the Trails fanbase. This announcement had given me renewed hope for the future of the series, if not the missing three then at least for future releases once they've caught up. Maybe I'm just naive though.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully these are just a vocal minority and not truly representative of the Trails fanbase. This announcement had given me renewed hope for the future of the series, if not the missing three then at least for future releases once they've caught up. Maybe I'm just naive though.

Many of them seem to be very uninformed of how things in the localized game industry works, anyways. Sounds like they just want something to be mad about. You can never really win.

Geeze the haters/possible trolls went into XSEED's forums in full-force today...
I just feel bad for XSEED. This should be a time of happiness for them, with them finally being able to talk about the future of the series over here, yet it's being drowned out by these haters.

Many of them seem to be very uninformed of how things in the localized game industry works, anyways. Sounds like they just want something to be mad about. You can never really win.

Yup, "Should know better to be in that position, but somehow don't" has been a thing.

Not sure if it's that easy. Falcom puts out quite a lot of Trails games these days

FC - 2004 -> SC - 2006 -> TC - 2007 -> Zero - 2010 -> Ao - 2011 -> Sen - 2013 -> Sen 2 - 2014. Seven games in ten years. Not slow by any means, but certainly not an impossible pace. If they get Sen 2 out in 2016, they'd probably have it out by the time the next game releases. That's close enough to not fall behind again, at least with Falcom as an active partner in the process.

So, it kind of depends on how many resources they can spare for the Trails series or if they'll ever be able to squeeze TC in-between localization of future Trails games somehow.

"Somehow"? They're doing it right now. There's nothing weird about it, it just involves putting different translators on each game. If it proved to be a profitable enterprise I don't think XSEED would run into any problems of that kind.

I just feel bad for XSEED. This should be a time of happiness for them, with them finally being able to talk about the future of the series over here, yet it's being drowned out by these haters.

They're an embarrassment for the fanbase and gamers as a whole.
Unfortunately there are people like this in every community, nothing new of course.

Fortunately all those amazing people involved in these localizations know how much most of us appreciate their efforts.
It doesn't hurt to send more positive vibes their way though, here, on Twitter, etc.
I'm sure Tom, Sara, Brittany and everyone else appreciate the good energy.

Tohsaka

Think we will ever get the Nayuta games or has that ship sailed?

I'm hoping one day eventually we can get all of the Kiseki titles in English.

There's only one Nayuta game, and it's stand-alone. Tom said it's not coming over, but there's a mediocre fan translation if you really want to play it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that dynamic duo in that thread is just someone and his alt. XSEED can aggressively inform customers with a blog and still get intense blokes like these...oh well.

They should be able to catch up with Falcom's pace at some point, doubly so if Falcom distributes its staff to working on Gagharv remakes (which coincides with some of the Nayuta fan-patch team members wanting to hack the Windows originals).

Top Bottom