• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yahtzee: Kid Icarus: Uprising and Hurt Nintendo Fans

If I recall, wasn't that the one where people were confused as to which version he had even played due to him being vague in the review?

The Wii version isn't that hard, and from what I've seen on the HD versions, they don't seem that hard either. At most the medal collection gets tedious.
The HD version is more difficult, but it's nothing any mid-level gamer should have any real problems with. And yeah, the features he was talking about seemed to refer both to the HD and Wii version, which made it unclear which version he actually played. But I'd guess the HD version.

Almost all of the professional reviews for HD Unleashed were atrocities. No one gave it a fair shot and just went straight for the Sonic Cycle routine. I find gaming journalism loves keeping stupid running gags alive at the expense of humor, and "lol Sonic games r bad & 4 furriez" is right up there with Duke Nukem Forever and cake is a lie.

Yahtzee was good once for analyzing games critically but since 2008 he's gotten down to this level of petty bullshit.

He is funny to you as long as he doesn't slaughter your personal sacred cow. Period. The moment you take this personally, you no longer enjoy him.
No, he's gotten kind of stale lately because 1) he seems a little tired of it himself, in his voice and effort and 2) I (and probably much of his viewers) of got our fill of it.

Watching people get defensive and whiny is about the most entertaining thing left about his reviews.

zroid

Banned
Yeah, even if they are barbed for entertainment value he does a good job of highlighting genuine issues and oddities with things. He can go off on a tangent from time to time though, where he's pretty much just bitching for the sake of bitching and the wit and observation goes out the window, that's when can stop being amusing.

This is totally true. I think he almost always makes valid points -- he never outright "lies" in his reviews. My main problem is that his many negative reviews always seem incongruous with his rare positive reviews. Because he disingenuously picks out so many faults in the games he doesn't love, he is forced to ignore the same issues that are present in games he doesn't rebuke.

In a way, his singular criticisms taken on their own are fair, but his overall review of a game is framed in such a way that you can't take it seriously.

MMaRsu

Banned
Man fucking hell Nintendo fans are so damn childish. He even says in his review multiple times that he's not a Ninty hater. And in fact Kid Icarus probably isnt that amazing anyway.

People claim that Yahtzee has some sort of schtick, yet i find that he happens to say more insightful things about games than most reviewers would a) ever say and b) have the balls to say. In a world where most gaming journalism simply props up sacred cows and scores on a scale from 80-95, Yahtzee's voice can be refreshing.

That there's no room for anything apart from a binary choice between 90% Gold Awards all round and Yahtzee's brand of Accentuate the Negative criticism is a sad, sad indictment of the gaming media.

LeleSocho

Banned
It's obviously not perfect if you are getting back pains from playing with the stand.

Oh yeah it's perfect you can bet all you want on that, the pain come because you have to curve your back to play (unless you have a really high table or really short chair) and after 1-2 hours session... et voilá you have pain.

SmithnCo

Wow, this guy is still around? He has some British accent and talks fast... how long can you find this shit funny?

He makes good points sometimes, but the presentation is just annoying. In the KI review he spends a good minute making sure you know he's not biased against Nintendo, then the rest is his typical grating barrage of metaphors.

So has Jeff Gherstmann but that doesn't mean I'll automatically know-tow to his opinion. It's more as to whether their tastes or dislikes match up with mine..
No, it's called professionalism, ethics and opinions not dictated by brand loyalty and fear of buyer's remorse. Concepts alien to people who recommend games here.

Beth Cyra

Man fucking hell Nintendo fans are so damn childish. He even says in his review multiple times that he's not a Ninty hater. And in fact Kid Icarus probably isnt that amazing anyway.

Yeah Nintendo fans are so bad.

Not like Bioware fans and the Hamburglar nonsense, or bringing up people personal relationships when Uncharted 3 was said not to be the greatest game of all time.

Come on, these comments are just as bad.

MMaRsu

Banned
With such words, I think you're the child here.

Uhm, what 'words' are we talking about here?

By the way, I have a gamecube right next to me and I used to be a bigtime Nintendo fan. And yes there are tons of other fans or fanboys out there but yes Nintendo does have some of the more "outspoken" ones.

Beth Cyra

That doesn't absolve Nintendo fans by pointing out other groups' flaws.

No, what it doesn't do is resolve some idiots who are doing this kinda shit.

What it does prove is that all fanbases have idiots like this with in the group and just labeling Nintendo fans as a whole to be like these tools is just as foolish as what they are doing.

ronito

People actually listen Yahtzee's take on games?
I figured it was pretty obvious the dude was like Sam Kinison yelling about everything just to get a laugh and a reaction. Entertaining to be sure. But will I take it as a serious criticism of a game? Ha!

udivision

That doesn't absolve Nintendo fans by pointing out other groups' flaws.

It means that fanboys suck in general.

There are people who acknowledge that most politicians play the "game of politics" and those who ignorantly believe it's just the "other guys" who do it.

test_account

XP-39C²
"SMG is actually a good game. shame it doesn't support a standard controller."

/classic Yahtzee
Just wondering, what is "wrong" about that comment, about wanting support for a standard controller? The way the game is designed (for the most part at least), it shouldnt be problem to play it with a standard controller.

Mxrz

I don't see how I can make it any clearer that I'm not automatically biased against Nintendo except by pointing out there's no logical reason for me to be biased against Nintendo to any extent beyond that their games haven't been very good lately.

It is a shame that this has to be stressed over and over. Not just by him, but by anyone who drops any sort of criticism of big N or their games. You can't just disagree or dislike something any more, you gotta have an agenda. Its like dealing with the biggest collective victim syndrome in the world.

Yahtzee loves tearing into Nintendo fans and Nintendo games, because it's the only time he gets upspikes in views, as everyone else lost interest a while ago.

Jintor

No, it's called professionalism, ethics and opinions not dictated by brand loyalty and fear of buyer's remorse. Concepts alien to people who recommend games here.

What does an ethically sound, professionally recommended opinion not dictated by brand loyalty and fear of buyers remorse matter if your values don't match up with the recommender? If you hate racing games but the other guy loves them, do you go "These games aren't for me", or do you say "Well, his opinion is sound as fuck, I'll get this then?"

Abylim

I find him entertaining in small doses. I never take his reviews seriously. His complaints are completely unrelatable to me. I enjoyed Demon's Souls. Sure, its not awesome to redo a level, like he went on about. But you cant take that away and have the same consequence, or degree of difficulty.

Anywho, I dont see why people bother getting mad at this guy. Best case scenario he DOES reply, all hes going to do is put you down. It's his shtick. If he isnt being an anal retentive dick, he isnt doing it right.

HylianTom

Banned
353px-Neutral_President.jpg

The ideal NeoGAF member?

Zzzzz.....

Thoraxes

The only video I ever found alarmingly accurate to my tastes was the one for Too Human.

Either way though, KI:U is one of the best games this year, so w/e.

Zomba13

KI:U is genuinely good and full of content and customisation (including the controls). Yeah, it can be a pain to play but my way around that was to play it on my bed and use the CPP. The better trigger made the game much more fun to play.

Anyway, his thing is to be overly harsh to games, he just seems to be really harsh to Nintendo because that gets the most views and comments etc (which is something the escapist likes funnily enough...).

But I'm not a Nintendo fanboy or Yahtzee hater so I'm allowed to say this stuff guys.

Durante

You can't just disagree or dislike something any more, you gotta have an agenda. Its like dealing with the biggest collective victim syndrome in the world.
Yeah, I've always felt that way when dealing with some Nintendo fans.

ghibli99

He is funny to you as long as he doesn't slaughter your personal sacred cow. Period. The moment you take this personally, you no longer enjoy him.
Even when he does, though, he usually makes good points that you can agree with, even if you love the game. But you're right: it's when folks start taking it personally that it doesn't end well. That happens anywhere. It's an opinion, and we all have them. I'd rather he respond... I can't stand the "write review, go silent" way that most reviews are done.

The reason why Nintendo fanboys are being singled out here is because this thread specifically mentions butthurt Nintendo fanboys. Yes, all fanboys are as bad as each other, but getting defensive and saying "well, the other fanboys are crazy too, look at the Uncharted 3 thread!" doesn't eliminate the original point; that Nintendo fanboys are a crazy fucking bunch.

MMaRsu

Banned
"man fucking hell"
Wow. Maybe you should calm down.
+ You're statement about Kid Icarus is childish too. I'm sure you never played it but "it's not amazing anyway".

After watching his review im just surprised Nintendo fans still jumped on his back. Its annoying and disheartening. No ive never played ki but ive seen some gameplay vids and its not even that great.

After watching his review im just surprised Nintendo fans still jumped on his back. Its annoying and disheartening. No ive never played ki but ive seen some gameplay vids and its not even that great.

See this is why people hate Yahtzee's fans.

Plus I have enough of "clowns gaming journalist" who think they're the elit.
Some people may tell me "they just gives score, it wont stop you from enjoying a game" but I'll say bad score don't makes people buy games. If I trusted reviews, I would never have bought God Hand for exemple. And I have enough of reviewers who say a game is broken because it is too hard for them or they're just used to controls.
The first time I played with a twin stick pad, I had problem to play with it. Is that means twin stick controls are broken ? Of course not. The first time I played a FPS on PC, I wasn't used to ZQSD to move and mouse to aim. But it doesn't mean the controls are broken, that's just different. And so are the controls of Kid Icarus.

MMaRsu

Banned
Even when he does, though, he usually makes good points that you can agree with, even if you love the game. But you're right: it's when folks start taking it personally that it doesn't end well. That happens anywhere. It's an opinion, and we all have them. I'd rather he respond... I can't stand the "write review, go silent" way that most reviews are done.

He mostly responds in later reviews though.

Ghosttrick have you ever watched his reviews? Hes not an elitist lol. His critics are mostly always valid

Woah. Games are great now or not because you saw 5 minutes of gameplay ? Seems logic !/sarcasm

Kid Icarus was the game that debuted the 3DS. Before it came out, it was what everyone wanted, saying the graphics made it better than the 360. The launch window came and went without it. People wondered where it was. They PINED for it. The game wasn't allowed to be bad or have any flaws.

Zomba13

Yeah because watching a video of a game is the same as playing the game.

Considering you were bitching out Nintendo fans for irrationally and blindly following a course which they'd already decided on, you're on very thin ice here.

Portugeezer

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...83-Kid-Icarus-Uprising-and-Hurt-Nintendo-Fans

Not sure why there is so much hate directed toward him for almost every single one of his reviews. There have reviews were he destroys a game that I happen to love and it really does not bother me.

I don't hate him, I just don't like him as much as other people. He used to be funny but it has gotten old. Most of his videos are just hyperboles of negatives in a game, I wouldn't call them reviews.

I agree though, what he says doesn't bother me in the slightest, and well... he dislikes almost everything.

Sounds like you've been learning from Yahtzee himself on how to review/rate games!

Remember when he reviewed Monster Hunter, and monster hunter fans noticed that by his complaints and content of the review, he didn't even play 5 hours of it?

Yeah Nintendo fans are so bad.
Funny how Yahztee's reviews become an issue only when he reviews Nintendo games; not when he criticizes God of War, Uncharted, BioShock, Call of Duty or any other popular franchise.

So what is it exactly about Nintendo products that gives them immunity to critical review?

What does an ethically sound, professionally recommended opinion not dictated by brand loyalty and fear of buyers remorse matter if your values don't match up with the recommender? If you hate racing games but the other guy loves them, do you go "These games aren't for me", or do you say "Well, his opinion is sound as fuck, I'll get this then?"

No, he's shitted on plenty of games I've liked. But I if I am looking for an opinion on a game, I'll hold his opinions in greater esteem than the people who think his opinions count for nothing.

Instro

Kid Icarus was the game that debuted the 3DS. Before it came out, it was what everyone wanted, saying the graphics made it better than the 360. The launch window came and went without it. People wondered where it was. They PINED for it. The game wasn't allowed to be bad or have any flaws.
When was any of this true? It had tons of critics from the get go.

Well it didnt look like all that to me prrsonally i mean jeez guys sorry

I agree the fact that there's fanboys with wrong behaviour... but judging a game because "you saw it". It's just as wrong
May I remember you that video games are supposed to be played ?

Top Bottom