• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

bluethree

Yakuza 5 is way too bloated and has a lot of stuff that just isn't very interesting. The story is pretty bad too. But the good stuff is some of the best in the series. I like the Fukuoka and Osaka sections the best. Honestly, I think the game would be better if it were more focused, the Osaka section in particular could be expanded into a full game imo.

Aki-at

I'm playing Yakuza 5 now, I'm on the part of akiyama and boy, the game is cool and all, but I feel that is way bigger than it should have been, I have been playing this game only the weekends and I really feel that at times is a drag, I don't feel like doing sidequest anymore (I complete the substories though) and it saddens me that I still have to play tanimura part and the climax that I guess will be in karumocho and will be maybe longer than the other chapters

I enjoyed yakuza 4 way more, it never felt like a drag to me. I hope that 0 and 6 are not as bloated as 5

They aren't and 6 in particular probably has the least content in the series since 2 or so I hear.

0 is perfectly paced for the most part.

vocab

I'm playing Yakuza 5 now, I'm on the part of akiyama and boy, the game is cool and all, but I feel that is way bigger than it should have been, I have been playing this game only the weekends and I really feel that at times is a drag, I don't feel like doing sidequest anymore (I complete the substories though) and it saddens me that I still have to play tanimura part and the climax that I guess will be in karumocho and will be maybe longer than the other chapters

I enjoyed yakuza 4 way more, it never felt like a drag to me. I hope that 0 and 6 are not as bloated as 5

Y0 is a bit frontloaded with substories, but getting through the story never feels like a chore. Each chapter is pretty well paced, and pretty short in general.

sibarraz

Banned
Fukouka is the only town that I enjoyed, but maybe that has to be because it was the city where the part of kiryu took place.

I hated hokkaido since the invisible walls are terrible there, and overall the city felt like an afterthought in saejima campaign

And Osaka isn't that interesting for me either, maybe it has to do because you start with haruka there, and you can't access some places there, and by the time that akiyama appears you really want to move on quick. Also I hated how most of the time I always ended in the north of the city when the sidequest started at the south

Jimrpg

0 is the opposite to 5 to all your concerns.

You probably still have 15 hours to go, if you can finish it but def play 0.

is yakuza 2 slim on content?

Kind of. Its the second game in a series where they continually expanded on the concept and content as they went. There isn't much of a completion list to speak of, there are only a couple of mini games etc. Basically unless your aiming to fight Amon (which still requires you to do a shit ton of things to unlock his side stories) you'll probably breeze through the game fairly quickly.

Got Yakuza 4, 5 and planning to get Zero then Kiwami

Is playing them in that order the optimal way ? (I liked 1, played 2 but didn't beat it, LOVED 3). Thanks

bluethree

Playing them in release order is probably best! The stories are mostly stand alone but there are some references to events in other games. Like I played 5 without playing 4 and missed some things, and even 0 has some references to backstory stuff in 4.

played 2 but didn't beat it.
This should be illegal.

Regarding your question, depends on how much fatigue is a factor for you. If it's not even something to consider (like it was for me) then just play in release order which is Y4 -> Y5 -> Y0 -> Y:Kiwami

If fatigue IS a factor for you, then Y4 -> Y0 -> Y:Kiwami -> Y5 in the downtime before Y6 comes out.

Opa-Pa

As someone who started playing them all in release order a couple months ago, I say it's definitely the best.

This series is so special in the way they show how characters come back and have grown between games, it's great. I've never felt so rewarded for playing a series from the start, it's hard to describe but it makes the experiences even more special than they already are.

on chapter 5 in Yakuza 0, everything's so well done even if it's not radically different from previous games. One thing that really strikes me is how good the series is at using its lore. Like how Majima's story is a direct result of events referenced in previous games and we get to see the aftermath of that in more detail. I like what I've seen of his story so far and am enjoying the Osaka parts a lot more than the Tokyo ones.

I got to chp 5 (or 6?) and had to put it down. I'm not sure what's bothering me about it. One thing that dumbstruck me is the whole 5 real estate boss sidequests which feels like a mobile game that has infiltrated the series. It wouldn't be so bad in and of itself if it didn't ask you to micromanage it a lot and tie it into the overall story. I haven't played since I got to this point a little over a month ago but am and will get around to it. That and I worry I've seen everything the game has to offer at this point, which to your point, is more of the same. Also think the game has lost a lot of humor. Even learning new moves in Y3 was fucking hilarious. Here, it is taken so seriously.

Aki-at

As someone who started playing them all in release order a couple months ago, I say it's definitely the best.

This series is so special in the way they show how characters come back and have grown between games, it's great. I've never felt so rewarded for playing a series from the start, it's hard to describe but it makes the experiences even more special than they already are.

You know what I really love about the series? It's not even just the main characters that return, we see NPCs from previous games, sometimes absent for a game or two, make their return later on.

It's great, it definitely makes Kamurocho feel "alive" and probably the reason I never got bored of it. Instead of it just being the same local again and again, you see the passage of time, the characters and the city life develop over all over these games making it feel refreshing. Like a long running TV show set in the same town but the town slowly changes.

So I'll cry mad amount of tears at the end of 6 :,(

Opa-Pa

Yes! It's a fantastic aspect of these games. The way non-story relevant NPCs come back and remember you from past games is incredible, or how you see important characters growing up, rebuilding their lives of trying to realize their dreams through the games, it's a really weird feeling, but you form a connection with them. I mean for me seeing Haruka grow up to be a strong, responsible young woman, or see detective Date move on with his life slowly from Yakuza 1 to 5.

Hell, I got a bit teary eyed with Daigo during the Y5 prologue, the guy has grown up so much from Y2 and it feels natural. It feels weird that I feel proud of a fictional character.

Like a long running TV show set in the same town but the town slowly changes.

Yeah that's exactly what it feels like. I feel like I've known these characters since forever and I'm very attached to them despite only getting into the series in march. Yakuza is amazing.

I agree about the great way how the series keeps bringing back NPC's to see their story continue to unravel. There is a great one that starts in Yakuza 0 and goes through both Kiwami and 6 as sort of a trilogy.

Yakuza 4 also did this well - when you played as Kiryu and had a load of characters from his past return for the side stories. Its one of the reasons why I enjoy the side stuff so much, they feel less like throwaway missions when they inject some personality into them.

Aki-at

Yeah that's exactly what it feels like. I feel like I've known these characters since forever and I'm very attached to them despite only getting into the series in march. Yakuza is amazing.

Yep I feel the same, if there is one series that has succeed with the passage of time, it's definitely Yakuza. It's strange for me because I picked up Yakuza back in 2006, so it's not just the series that's grown along the way but me too. It'll always have a special place in my heart.

I agree about the great way how the series keeps bringing back NPC's to see their story continue to unravel. There is a great one that starts in Yakuza 0 and goes through both Kiwami and 6 as sort of a trilogy.

Woah that's great to hear!

Actually I was worried that since people said 6 how lower sidestories count they were possibly going to sacrifice some of the personality with no returning NPCs. Are there more? It's one of my chief concerns with 6, as it's very much the end of Kiryu's legacy it'll be great to see the impact his had on some of these NPCs lives.

Yep I feel the same, if there is one series that has succeed with the passage of time, it's definitely Yakuza. It's strange for me because I picked up Yakuza back in 2006, so it's not just the series that's grown along the way but me too. It'll always have a special place in my heart.

Woah that's great to hear!

Actually I was worried that since people said 6 how lower sidestories count they were possibly going to sacrifice some of the personality with no returning NPCs. Are there more? It's one of my chief concerns with 6, as it's very much the end of Kiryu's legacy it'll be great to see the impact his had on some of these NPCs lives.

Eh, 6 does lack returning NPC's unfortunately. A few do return but not nearly enough for a finale... I'll only say that, when people play 6 they'll see what I mean. Its a pity as its one of the criticisms I have with an otherwise awesome game :(

But in other ways 6 still rocks with side stories, it has some of my favourites in the entire series. The addition of voice acting for all of the stories rocks. If they can up the animation for NPC's they'd be even better!

IrishNinja

this is awesome, love when they do stuff like this

Opa-Pa

So I've been playing more Y5 and made it to the 4th chapter tonight. Chapter 3 was awesome from beginning to end and redeemed the game for me after how terrible Saejima's was. I love rhythm games and obviously like Haruka a lot so that was fun... Then Akiyama shows up and to my surprise his story didn't feel shoehorned at all, and his updated fighting style might be the most awesome in the series so far!

Now I'll be honest and say the setup was already solid enough so I felt like introducing a new character by now would be pointless, but... Tatsuo is a pretty cool guy and the premise to his story is very interesting. It's weird, it's cool enough that I feel like it's wasted being attached to the game, but I'm having fun playing it and I'm excited to see how it relates to the rest. It also makes me confident that they can make awesome new stories and characters post Y6.

So yeah if the game maintains this level of quality it'll probably be my new favorite once I'm done.

Shinada rocks in 5. His story gets better as the chapters go on and more is explained. His loan shark "friend" is my favourite support character in the game.
My only complaint with Haruka's chapter was the difficulty. The music stuff is just way too easy, wish it had a couple more difficulty levels to make it more challenging :(

It was either Rymuth or IrishNinja who said that the Shinada's part in Yakuza 5 is pretty much the movie "
Hot Fuzz
" and that is the most apt description I've ever heard for it.

It was a VERY well done story with awesome characters [
Milky-chan!!
]. Only problem is how they tied it all to the finale.

bluethree

I'd say my 5 location/chapter ranking is something like Osaka>Fukuoka>Nagoya>Kamurocho>Sapporo

Despite the bloat, the variety of locations works in the game's favor overall.

I lived in Kyushu for several years so I'd love to see them go back to it.

giphy.gif

Oh my GOD, this is perfect. If Yakuza 0 goes on sale during E3, then we for SURE need to make a thread trying to sell people on it.

And this needs to be in the OP for it!.

Skulldead

I did the same thing (like since last october), i got every Amon fight on every yakuza(not a true 100% but i saw nearly everything in each game), i'm having a blast. I can't wait to see how yakuza 5 will punch for linking previous entries, but so far i like the returning character for what happen to them (kazuma part was nice).

I'm on yakuza 5 so far, and the lack of challenge on hard mode of 4 and 5 start to really burn me, i remember at least boss fight were really challenging one some previous entries, have to use counter, strategies, but in y4 and y5, just attack usually work. Yakuza 3 was perfect in every single thing other then remove mini game on US version. But i think the biggest problem is the fact you always change character so, so you always get strong in no time, i don't feel like i'm become stronger over time. Also i don't feel the enemies variety of previous game. In 3 there were enemies with some different style that you had to adapt. Also the fact they were blocking all the time was nice, have to move behind, grab and counter all the time. Also make doing long combo with environment rewarding. I'm surprise they never decide to recreate that challenging and tense fight. ( i heard yakuza 0 was a little more challenging then 4-5, i heard legend mode is fun ).

A chance the story and mini game are fun, this clearly the element that drive me so far on yakuza 5, can't wait to see "final" on 6 !

Gacha-pin

So that Sega live stream last week that was supposed to have some Yakuza news, might have dropped a tiny hint as to the next game:
http://yakuzafan.com/yakuza-7-development-keyword-revealed-chinpira/

Basically the take away is that we'll hear something new about the Yakuza series at some point during the year (TGS seems like the safest bet) and that apparently the game might feature a younger character as the protagonist.

The misleading information in the previous entry and this, the site is trying to read too much of nothing.

The misleading information in the previous entry and this, the site is trying to read too much of nothing.

Yeah, totally agree. After getting hyped for nothing over the whole announcement I'm no longer getting hyped until TGS since that's the most logical time when we would see anything Yakuza related. Still, with the English releases of Kiwami and 6 still to come I'm in no rush for another sequel.

Opa-Pa

Goddamn you guys.

I just finished Yakuza 5, and I'm a bit conflicted. In some aspects is by far the best of the ones I've played, but that Saejima part was terrible and mostly pointless, the story was too long for its own good... By the end I had forgotten half of the bad guys and whatnot the ties with each other were, and Tatsuo's story, while some of the best things in the game, felt shoehorned and it'd have been far better as its own game. Also the story got pretty stupid, convulted, and the final bad guy's identity made 0 sense and killed most of the excitement I should have had during the last fight.

But damn the game was fucking awesome either way. The actual content ignoring story bits and length was quality as hell, and I had a fantastic time playing this.

And holy hell I've gotten a bit teary eyed with most of these games, but Haruka's speech at the end made me cry like a little boy. I spent the majority of her story bits frustrated and mad that
she couldn't see Kazuma or even acknowledge his existence
, but all of it was worth it in the end. Man I love this series, it must suck to play this without having played at least two games before it because stuff like that would have 0 impact.

Now on to start Y0! I'm so excited.

Goddamn you guys.

I just finished Yakuza 5, and I'm a bit conflicted. In some aspects is by far the best of the ones I've played, but that Saejima part was terrible and mostly pointless, the story was too long for its own good... By the end I had forgotten half of the bad guys and whatnot the ties with each other were, and Tatsuo's story, while some of the best things in the game, felt shoehorned and it'd have been far better as its own game. Also the story got pretty stupid, convulted, and the final bad guy's identity made 0 sense and killed most of the excitement I should have had during the last fight.

But damn the game was fucking awesome either way. The actual content ignoring story bits and length was quality as hell, and I had a fantastic time playing this.

And holy hell I've gotten a bit teary eyed with most of these games, but Haruka's speech at the end made me cry like a little boy. I spent the majority of her story bits frustrated and mad that
she couldn't see Kazuma or even acknowledge his existence
, but all of it was worth it in the end. Man I love this series, it must suck to play this without having played at least two games before it because stuff like that would have 0 impact.

Now on to start Y0! I'm so excited.

Glad you enjoyed the game :) I felt the same way bar the Seijima section - I enjoyed it on the whole, I just feel condensing the jail bit to one chapter would have been for the better. The only thing the dreams served was to set up a couple of rather good side stories once you reach the city. I did love the villain in the prison section though not to mention the OTT sillyness when you do the sled race section > giant bare knuckle bear fight!
The best part of the story for me was the strained relationship between Kiryu and Haruka with the rather bittersweet conclusion. Yakuza 6 follows on from this, so its good you managed to play through 5 in preparation.

Finally finished Yakuza 0. Boy, what a ride. Didn't think we'd get anything as good as Y2 again, but it truly delivered. My ranking as of now (although subject to change if I replay Y2 at some point, it's been years).

Y0 > Y2 > Y1 > Y4 > Y3 > Dead Souls > 5.

Opa-Pa

Yeah the game was a joy overall. Saejima's part makes me sad because I like him and it could have worked better, but getting him involved in yet another prison break was lame to me, and the not fun parts (prison and village) were so long that by the time I made it to the city I was long tired so I barely did any side quests (Santa killers though, haha).

Haruka and Kazuma though... Holy hell, it destroyed me, and I'm looking forward to being further destroyed with Y6. I only watched the localization reveal trailer and I'm already worried haha.

Also, shameless cross posting from the Y0 OT (where I guess I'll do most of my posting I guess, since I don't wanna bother you guys with too many impressions):

So, I beat Yakuza 5 tonight and decided I'd give 0 a try before bed, just a try... And suddenly I made it to chapter 2.

God damn, this is fantastic. I love the combat changed, how money also works as experience, the story so far, the way the Kazuma is noticeably different and more bratty, yet the same guy I like so much. Everything is great.

I can't tell if the feel of the combat is really that different from 5 or it's just the jump to 60fps, but it feels great. Hell even bosses are such a step up,
Kuze
felt like an actual fair opponent who had the same capabilities as me instead of a walking sponge who could activate super armor every 3 seconds.

And god, I had no idea I missed the ambient music from Y1 until it kicked in here in 0, why did they ever get rid of that? It adds a lot to the game.

I spent a lot of time at the arcades too. Got every UFO catcher prize (Opa Op!!!) and had great fun playing Out Run. I can't wait to take control of Majima and unlock Fantasy Zone.

Not everything is perfect tho, the game looks rough... You can tell it's a PS3 title. And it's weird, I don't know if it's the resolution, but I feel like at times it actually looks worse than Y5. Also what's the deal with those new low budget cutscenes? Weird. Noticed some screen tearing too... But eh, small details.

But yeah, this game is fantastic so far, I can see why it got such good word of mouth despite being a Yakuza game.

So guys, Yakuza 0 is confirmed going on sale in the next week on US PSN. This is our opportunity to get the word out about this game and get more people into the series!

days-of-play-psn-sale-image-block-02-us-07jun17

So soundtrack wise I've fallen into a bit of a Yakuza hole again, over the last couple of days I've ended up listening to the soundtracks of 3, 4 and Kiwami. 3 really does have an amazing soundtrack, while its not my favourite game gameplay wise, it might just be my favourite game soundtrack wise, I've lots count of the times I've listened to it.
4 I just love the remixes of the main theme used for the final boss themes (I believe). So nice...

Kiwami's is a bit odd. I'm not sure if I like some of the remixes compared to the original Yakuza 1 soundtrack. I mean, I still like the soundtrack, but kinda wish I had an optional to toggle between both soundtracks for various big fights (Shimano's mainly).

Opa-Pa

Yakuza 3's soundtrack is so damn cool, and I think it fits the story parts just perfect. I know it's an odd choice, but I think it's my favorite game in the series along with 5 (befofe I finish 0 anyway).

Man, that opening track. I think there's an arrangement of it during the final battle too, but I can't figure out the name.

Kiwami, I've listened to a couple of the remixes and... It's kinda disappointing. Funk Goes On isn't bad but sounds "tamer" than the original, and the new Receive You is straight up terrible (speaking of which, every Majima battle remix of it in the series is absolute gold, and so are the names lol).

Yakuza 3's soundtrack is so damn cool, and I think it fits the story parts just perfect. I know it's an odd choice, but I think it's my favorite game in the series along with 5 (befofe I finish 0 anyway).

Man, that opening track. I think there's an arrangement of it during the final battle too, but I can't figure out the name.

Kiwami, I've listened to a couple of the remixes and... It's kinda disappointing. Funk Goes On isn't bad but sounds "tamer" than the original, and the new Receive You is straight up terrible (speaking of which, every Majima battle remix of it in the series is absolute gold, and so are the names lol).

Your thinking of "Fly". Its my second favourite final boss theme in the series (Ishin wins that one, its bloody epic).

And yeah, I love how Majima's tracks are all remixed/similarly named. Even Ishin and Kenzan manage to continue on with this tradition (Ishin also has an awesome remix of the Nishiki boss theme from Yakuza 1). I really love 4's Majima theme for some reason, not sure why it just really gets my blood pumping.

Yakuza 6 deserves a quick shout out in terms of soundtracks as well. Its got several really good boss themes for the main baddies as you would expect. Just don't youtube them yet less you want to spoil the final boss names! (I almost screwed myself over on this one, thankfully I misread the title!)

bluethree

I'm nearing the end of Yakuza 0 (about 4-5 more chapters to go I think) and I continue to be really, really impressed by it. It seems like they learned all of the right lessons from 5 - the story is lean and character focused and chapters never drag on that much. And yeah, the maps are reused again, but the time period gives us a fresh take on these familiar places.

It's probably going end up being my 2nd favorite after 3 at this rate - and in many ways it's technically better than that game.

The next chapter!!!?

Yeah, I noticed that as well. Odd wording certainly
They better not be going back on the ending of 6, I had issues with the end boss but the final scene with Kiryu/Haruto was ace in my opinion. Let Kiryu live his life and give someone else their chance in the spotlight!

Don't want to watch them for spoilers, but I was kind of disappointed Sony didn't feature Yakuza, even as part of the montage. Would've been a nice marketing boost. But they hardly had any Japanese games, so...

I'm seeing all these hype threads on the front page and I really couldn't care about any of them. E3 seems like a dud for people that like Japanese games (that aren't on the Switch). At least I have Yakuza 1 to look forward to.

Aki-at

Don't want to watch them for spoilers, but I was kind of disappointed Sony didn't feature Yakuza, even as part of the montage. Would've been a nice marketing boost. But they hardly had any Japanese games, so...

I'm seeing all these hype threads on the front page and I really couldn't care about any of them. E3 seems like a dud for people that like Japanese games (that aren't on the Switch). At least I have Yakuza 1 to look forward to.

Agreed, Sony seriously under-deliverd on their presentation and feels like they took E3 for granted, when you consider both Yakuza game and Gundam Versus as console exclusives and how short their presentation was compared to previous years, feels like they could have padded it up with these extra trailers,

E3 seems like a dud in general, not that I care too much about it since I'm mostly geared to Japanese games. Tokyo Game Show last year drew level with E3 for me and looks like this year they'll surpass it.

Gacha-pin

Yeah, I noticed that as well. Odd wording certainly
They better not be going back on the ending of 6, I had issues with the end boss but the final scene with Kiryu/Haruto was ace in my opinion. Let Kiryu live his life and give someone else their chance in the spotlight!

Or the translators know something we don't know. Maybe they know "the next chapter" is the best translation for ”最終章” in Japanese version.
Ryu ga Gotoku 7; Suzuki san the taxi driver

Or the translators know something we don't know. Maybe they know "the next chapter" is the best translation for ”最終章” in Japanese version.
Ryu ga Gotoku 7; Suzuki san the taxi driver

Maybe its a spin off title? I'd buy it, I loved those sections in 5!

Dwayne

Bad news on the Yakuza PSP front:

Aegehn said:
So why is there no news anymore ? Because there is no work done since a long time. As KHHSubs said, the main story is done, but that's it. And what's left is in a rough state, because everything that was written in japanese is now written in gibberish : as translated texts grew in size, there was the need to find something to reduce, so I reduced the japanese character table, which saved up a lot (there's a character for every kanji used in the game), but now everytime the text contains a kanji or a kana that has been erased, it display a "*" instead. Meaning that while everything that has been translated displays correctly, everything else is unreadable, and kinda disturbing to the eye. That also include things like items descriptions, etc.

I don't want to release something in this state. I could quickly upload an iso somewhere, post the link on some chan and let it spread, but I think the work done by those who worked on this deserves better. I hope you understand.
I'd love for a translator to pick this up, and finish the work with me. If that do not happen, someday I'll let it go and I'll release it, but with the release of Y0, Kiwami and 6 coming, I hope the license sparks some interest to new translators.

So here is what I offer you : if nobody wants to work on this up to 3 months after the latest release of Y6, I'll release it "as is".

Until then, if you are a translator and you want to help, please PM me.

Sorry for the long silence.

Hopefully someone picks up the translation work soon as it'd be a shame to release it unfinished like that.

Started my Yakuza 5 playthrough. Was going to hold out until closer to 6 release date but I couldn't wait, I'm thirsty as fuck for more Yakuza.

soheil

Played through chapter 10 of Yakuza 0 and so far it is one of best games I have ever played.

I simply just cant get enough of this game.Story and characters are great.

Top Bottom