• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

Aki-at

It's on Saturday guys, don't get carried away with the hype! :p

It'll be 11am in London when the presentation starts, excellent! We usually get shafted but I knew one of my favourite developers wouldn't let me done, HYPE!

Awesome stuff, I have a feeling I'll be asleep when the event airs so I'll wake up and bask in the happiness/sadness (delete as appropriate).

ZeroD

Hey sorry to post again but I've had no luck in finding anything to catch up on 5. I tried reading the wiki but I feel like a video version would be way easier to understand.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Hey sorry to post again but I've had no luck in finding anything to catch up on 5. I tried reading the wiki but I feel like a video version would be way easier to understand.

A quick run down of #5

A taxi driver reunites with a pop idol, a Taiga fights a bear and a disgraced baseball star gets a rematch. The end.

😂

ZeroD

A quick run down of #5

A taxi driver reunites with a pop idol, a Taiga fights a bear and a disgraced baseball star gets a rematch. The end.

😂

Haha if that's all there is too it, great! I just bought 6 so that'll be here this weekend

people

As part of my PS3 backlog cleanup I convinced myself to take another shot at getting platinum for 3 and 4 after ~2 years. All that was left were Minigames (Karaoke and Batting) for 3 and some Ultimate Skill challenges for both.. I quickly remembered why I 'gave up' back then, but I guess I was more determined this time around.

13e2WQW.png

Now to remember what I was supposed to in 5. Oh right, 'Academic Batting'..

Jimrpg

As part of my PS3 backlog cleanup I convinced myself to take another shot at getting platinum for 3 and 4 after ~2 years. All that was left were Minigames (Karaoke and Batting) for 3 and some Ultimate Skill challenges for both.. I quickly remembered why I 'gave up' back then, but I guess I was more determined this time around.

13e2WQW.png

Now to remember what I was supposed to in 5. Oh right, 'Academic Batting'..

Amazing job!

Nice job on the plats. I'm too lazy to do legend runs on most of the series so far so I'm sitting at 90%ish for several of the titles. Except 3. Damn batting cage.

Tell me he's not in prison in 6. I mean come the hell on.

spoilers
you find out at the beginning that they get rid of several main Tojo Clan members by carting them off to prison. Seijima isn't the only one screwed over this time

I really hope Seijima's main side content for 7 is just him running a prison! Seriously though, no more prisons.

Saejima goes evil in a conquest to turn Kamorucho into a prison, only Akiyama can stop him!

Funilly enough I can picture that right now. The big walls from Dead Souls that separate the city make a return in all their asset reuse glory. Returning characters include Seijima's inmates from 5, the warden from 5 along with psychopath asshole Kugihara.
Seijima overthrows Daigo for control of the Tojo Clan (literally just throwing Daigo out the way since he's such a bloody pushover), with Majima coming along for the ride (cares not for the plan, just the mayhem).

Akiyama, realising (or more likely, Hana pointing out to him) that he can't get money back from his loans if everyone in Kamuracho ends up in Prison decides to do something about it. Date tags along because he's a cop and doesn't want to go through the effort of arresting everyone.,, Yeah, and Kiryu shows up for some reason... I've clearly put too much thought into this.

But in terms of crazy plots, I'd seriously love Sega to team up with SNK to have the Yakuza protagonists to head over to Southtown for a future game. Just so that there can be an epic battle up Geese Tower - taken on Ripper, Hopper, Billy (several times), Raiden, Yamazaki (he'd really have to fight Majima, two psychopaths clearly just there for the bloodlust) and of course a showdown between Kiryu and Geese at the top of Geese Tower (complete with iconic music and shirtless finale). I'd pay good money to play through that scenario.

Well at least it'll be better than the Prison Break game (or the later seasons of the TV show...)

Anyway, been playing more Yakuza 0 today... Some of these chapters are shorter than I remember, its basically just a few really good cutscenes and a series of epic battles. I could have sworn Chapter 9 was longer, but I guess I was just remembering the big set piece in chapter 10 and merged chapters 9 and 10 in my mind.

Either way, the battles in chapter 9 rocked, mainly thanks to me spending tons of time working on the real estate stuff earlier today. I had Kiryu leveled up really nice and have a ton of great moves now. So the fights are getting more stylish and fun because of that.
I also completely forgot that you fight
Kuze
yet again in this chapter... not that I'm complaining, I love his character and boss theme so it was a real treat.
One thing I noticed though, Kiryu doesn't seem to have any anti gun heat moves in this game which is a bit of a pity, but I guess they couldn't give him those since
I guess they are sticking to the point put in place in Yakuza 1 where its Komaki that teaches Kiryu how to dodge bullets etc.? I do love that Kiryu wields a sword like a savage in this game which is another nod to Yakuza 1 - where Komaki teaches him proper sword technique

Onto chapter 10 next, probably won't do too much grinding this chapter, hopefully get down to some gambling instead if my memory doesn't fail me. That and try and tick off another telephone club girl. Oh, and maybe some Mahjong,,,

Jimrpg

Well our 'local' Malaysia shop (about 600km from where I am) is getting Yakuza 6 in and prices have been announced.

R1 After Hours edition RM579 (US$135)
R1 Standard RM259 (US$60)
R2 Standard RM229 (US$54)

And that's WITH the shitty exchange rate because the Malaysian ringgit is worth nothing right now so we have to pay a lot higher as a result.

I'll just be getting the regular edition then. At least it will be a PAL copy like all my other ones.

My order for Yakuza 0 got cancelled.

Kiwami comes out next week. Can I start with that?

You'll be fine starting with Kiwami, since it is a remake of the first game after all :)

0 works as a excellent prequel that sheds some extra light on certain characters, several of which are featured to certain degrees in Kiwami (most notably Nishiki gets some brilliant scenes in 0 and is incredibly important in Kiwami). It'd have been great if you could have played 0 first, but there is no harm in starting with Kiwami first and then going back round to 0 as and when you get your hands on a copy.

Skulldead

What a quest !!!!!

Done with Yakuza series, i've play every game in the main series for that past 10 months, finish Y0 yesterday. Got Amon in every single game and got 70-80 % completion in every of the game. Done a little of mini game, stop Colosseum at Yakuza 4 because it feel cheap to do it 4 times, but i did every single sidestory and sidequest of every single game (even the useless road to victory thing in Y5, because anyway f the Colosseum) . I think i'll wait a little for Kiwami, the story of Y1 is still a little fresh, but i really want to see the add content for Nishiki, i'll see.

So my favorite to my least favorite :

Y2 - The story is perfect, the music is amazing. I love the character in this one. But the mini game for sidestory were freaking hard for no reason.
Y3 - I don't know why it click so much for me on this one, the way they link the story of Yakuza 1 and 2 in a perfect way. The game is also the most challenging of the bunch, make the combat so good and fun. Also the Hunt thing was fun, always fun to discover other fighter style and bosses.
Y0 - Amazing overall, great story, love the old Kamurocho setting. The disco mini game were my favorite, make me smile every freaking time. I really like the real estate idea, but didn't find the game was well balance for upgrade, you have to do them to be able to upgrade. There little to no alternative (M. ShakeDown, but get boring fast).
Y1 - Amazing story, like a lot that the game is really also short, took like 15-16 hours for amon fight. Combat need work but hey, the remake is there for a reason !
Y4- Really like the story on this one, but my biggest grip are how the sidequest were boring and unnecessary long. I mean the host mini game took like 6-7 hours doing the same thing over, and over, and over again. The martial training mini game too, ok 2 times, by 5 TIMES ! this is crazy. Also didn't like the fact that the game is 0 challenging, it's nearly impossible to die at all, amon fight were also all a joke.
Y5 - I got my yakuza sickness on that one, had to stop for 1 month, didn't find the story terribly fun, the final reveal was also one of the worst story pieces of any yakuza game, gameplay was also piss easy. Side game were fun overall and i like the fact that they were a lot to explore for each character. Love the Haruka section. Overall the game was way too long for no reason.

Time to play other game, i was happy with my experience, I'm now a new Yakuza fan !

You can really see the difficulty dive bomb on Yakuza 4-5. At least in 0 the enemies level up in later chapters and become more dangerous, and at least they are always aggressive enough but 4 was really bad for things being way too easy. Its one of those where you'd want an item to improve enemies aggressiveness just to force the game to put up a fight. You could do just that in 5 as well, which made the game far more fun to play.

As for the whole IGN video. Just read the comments (actually, don't). Most of them sound really, really stupid and some of them are complaining because the video isn't related to a wrestling roster reveal...

Aki-at

I always like to see Yakuza 3 high up people's list, I have a weird positive feeling for that game, almost nostelgic. Probably because I stayed up all night to watch the Tokyo Game Show trailer and the Segabits chat room was in full swing with the hype.

Poppy

when i win the powerball i am going to buy a private island in the pacific so i can train to be the ultimate lifeform by fighting sharks and orcas

I always like to see Yakuza 3 high up people's list, I have a weird positive feeling for that game, almost nostelgic. Probably because I stayed up all night to watch the Tokyo Game Show trailer and the Segabits chat room was in full swing with the hype.

People warned me about Y3 before going into it. Turned out to be one of my favorites.

Jimrpg

So the event for revealing a new project to be streamed live on youtube starts at 19:00 hype
https://youtu.be/mPtfA507syg

And for someone who wants to watch these stuff on crappy nico nico service
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv304844540
888888888888888888888888enjoy

Only a couple days to go.

There's 17 people on youtube waiting for it now haha.

Looking at the wait screen - its very Yakuza like. It's got to be the next Yakuza game I imagine. BD fans am cry.

bluethree

yakuza 3 was the game that got me back into the series. it helps that the setting is very similar to somewhere i actually lived in japan (not okinawa but kyushu, southern japan), so it was very nostalgic in a way for me. and i played it at a time where i was missing where i lived in kyushu, so it was just what i needed at the time

Yakuza 3 is a game I appreciate more every time I play it... I guess it helps that I actually liked the slow beginning, seeing Kiryu and co in their normal lives before getting dragged back into the criminal underworld.
Plus its got some of my favourite moments in the series (all the Bull Ring scenes), some awesome fights (Lau, Mine, Joji etc.) and a absolutely brilliant soundtrack.
Difficulty wise they also got things right, unlike later games its not too easy, so it proves to be a decent challenge throughout the game.

Gacha-pin

Only a couple days to go.

There's 17 people on youtube waiting for it now haha.

Looking at the wait screen - its very Yakuza like. It's got to be the next Yakuza game I imagine. BD fans am cry.

Yep, about this time tomorrow...24 hours left until we are disappointed.

edit 48 hours.

Yep, about this time tomorrow...24 hours left until we are disappointed.

This is one of those situations where I'll only be disappointed if it somehow manages to be worse than nothing. After the last stream I'm not getting hyped, so I'd be rather impressed I end up disappointed by this. Of course, can't say I wouldn't be over the moon if they do announce something new.

I'm not the only one who wants an Akiyama spin-off right? As an idol-manager, laundering money, and eventually becoming top idol? LOL, the dance battles in Y5 were too funny.

Top Bottom