• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

cj_iwakura

I'm really starting to think the lack of announced released date is either one (or a combination) of three things:

1) The volume of text that needs to translated/programmed/QAed makes it hard to estimate
2) Sony or SEGA's release time table
3) Licensed stuff is being edited/replaced and that takes time.

on a related note, not sure if anyone on GAF has made a thread on this, but SEGA's localization producer Sam Mullen held a presentation at Momocon last weekend regarding Japanese game localization, which is some pretty interesting (and detailed) stuff regarding the entire process:

https://www.segalization.com/2015/0...nese-to-english-game-localization-at-momocon/

Very informative, and accurate based on what I've seen. Good to know, too, since editing's my field of choice.

What do you guys want from the series going forward past Zero?

For me, I want them to take a rest this year and instead of making another cross-gen title, focus on making a next (current) gen only title for 2017. Don't get me wrong, I don't want next gen visuals or anything like that, I'm actually very happy with how Zero looks.

What I want is them making a game pack with content (even more so than how it is right now) and add tons of side quests and other stuff to do. Yakuza being full of contents and little stories is one of the things that makes me love the series so much, and I think they should keep their focus at that.

Videoneon

For me it's like you said, content isn't really a problem. What I do think is a great way forward is the multiple fighting styles from Zero, though I've yet to play the game myself. If the series has a perceived problem with staleness, there are a lot of things that don't make sense to introduce to the series (Yakuza taking place in France, multiple endings, all sorts of whacky stuff) but expanding existing ideas does sound good. I like the idea of the really large sidequests like the cabaret club and the management sidequest from 0 too. There has to be something they can do with the concept of random encounters in this series.

They could also have dramatic developments to the story, but I don't know what they would be in such a way that they wouldn't be too messed up. Haruka is growing up so let's see how they handle that.

I do agree that for now the series would be better served by taking a small break. And letting the rest of the world catch up by playing Yakuza 0 later :3

I really gotta check out that localization panel from Sam Mullen later, should be interesting.

cj_iwakura

I'm interested in translation/translating myself, sounds like quite the task.

The industry has it down to a well-oiled machine, and it's similar to how fan translators do it. A fluent speaker provides a direct translation, a good writer(preferably bilingual, rarely necessary) goes through it to localize it, and a programmer puts it into the game(more often than not the Japanese team as of late).

Most niche teams like XSeed and Atlus practically use google docs, and I assume the Japanese teams essentially do a lot of Ctrl+F'ing and replace text then hope it doesn't break.

Aki-at

Summer, fall, whenever I don't care, as long as I can play Yakuza 5 it's all that matter.

(I hope Sony at least shows it off again at E3)

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
lol

Project X Zone 2 is gonna be out before Y5 is, totally called it. That's where I'll be getting my Yakuza lovin' this fall!

IrishNinja

it's loading pretty slow for me. Also checking the ESRB rating:
Partial Nudity? YES THEY'RE KEEPING THAT IN, HAHAHA (weirds me out but still funny).

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Didn't translation only begin in late april/early may? There was no chance for a summer release ever unless they were gonna put out one of the crappiest most slapped together translations/localizations ever ~_~

Didn't translation only begin in late april/early may? There was no chance for a summer release ever unless they were gonna put out one of the crappiest most slapped together translations/localizations ever ~_~

I imagine they started before the initial announcement, the only reason I can imagine for the length is that licensed material is getting replaced.

Tizoc

I'm SCHOKED !

i mean schoked

Well , no ... it's sega

I'll get this game but damn , my time to enjoy it will be short

Just be glad we're getting it :p

It's getting delayed because Shenmue 1+2 HD is releasing in Summer in its stead

Fall

Herc_is_Disappointed.gif

I hope the yakuza fans get this at full price on day one. We need yakuza zero to be translated too. Lets not have another shenmue situation... :)

t26

Damn it. Was hoping I can play Yakuza 5 before 0, but it might not work with Fall release and Yakuza 0 in my hand right now.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So since every Shenmue fanboy felt the need to co-opt every Yakuza twitter post/petition/whatever can we do the same thing for Yakuza kickstarter translations now?

IrishNinja

^please don't do that; shenmuedojo/etc have been at it for far longer than yakuza fan/etc

for another, what are we after? the inevitable Y5 release date (which is admittedly overdue)? cause as much as i'd love to push for Zero, i don't think we have a chance until after that's out...and speaking of, we really do need to drum up interest & get sales on 5, or zero's dead in the water, as i keep telling the NO PHYSICAL, NO BUY crowd

Sgblues

So the dvd for the Ryu Ga Gotoku stage play is gonna get released on August 27, 2015 for about 7k yen or 56 dollars as part of a two dvd set.

Can see the preview for it here

I'm thinking of picking it up, it would be sticking to the story of the first game and wouldn't be as wacky as the Takashi Mikii's movie though Majima was pretty funny in that one.

Yeah still no word on Y5's release date yet though and I've been slacking on getting the platinum for the HD collection lol.

Coxy

Yakuza 4 & Dead Souls are $6 on US psn this week

if you missed them for some reason or are just a random person reading this thread, great time to pick them up and check out the series!

Long time fan here.

Took my time, but, finally finished the storyline for Yakuza/RGG 3 - 4 years in the making. Currently, running around Kamuroucho and Okinawa getting the remaining trophies, I can get, in premium adventure.

Looks like I might have to restart the game to get all substories, but thats okay.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I hope the yakuza fans get this at full price on day one. We need yakuza zero to be translated too. Lets not have another shenmue situation... :)
The two aren't comparable at all since Yakuza 0 exists. People can buy an play it maybe not in their native language but there are plenty of helpful things out there to accomodate for that. Shenmue 3 doesn't exist, it can't be bought or played period. An just because its kickstarter was funded doesn't mean development can't fail with the whole thing ending up never seeing the light of day.

currently going through minigames in Yakuza 3 for the plat. I salute anyone that has done this
I didn't go for trophies or anything but played a ton of the mini-games anyway just because. For me Pool was the worst. I just couldn't get my head around that one!

I didn't go for trophies or anything but played a ton of the mini-games anyway just because. For me Pool was the worst. I just couldn't get my head around that one!

pool and the batting cage are brutal. Not sure I can continue doing this...or I need a long break lol

So the dvd for the Ryu Ga Gotoku stage play is gonna get released on August 27, 2015 for about 7k yen or 56 dollars as part of a two dvd set.

Can see the preview for it here

I'm thinking of picking it up, it would be sticking to the story of the first game and wouldn't be as wacky as the Takashi Mikii's movie though Majima was pretty funny in that one.

Yeah still no word on Y5's release date yet though and I've been slacking on getting the platinum for the HD collection lol.

I'm sorry, there is a Miike Yakuza film? Where on earth can I find this?

The Pool mini-game is practically a question of math. It's among the 5 mini games I've fully completed, so far (Fishing, Ufo-catcher, bowling, Pool, and Boxcelios).

I managed to get expert nine-ball with a 100% hit rate. The opponent didn't get one single turn :p

Karaoke, however,... you're required to strike everything on great to achieve the highest rank (The dragon of Karaoke). Imagine what it feels like when the end score is 99% great Good/Bad 1% and yet you're still only rewarded the srcond highest degree.

Batting cage seems to be a question about timing. Although, I'm not even sure about that.

Oh here's the IMDB entry

I think the whole movie is on Youtube

Edit: Yeah it is, can watch it here Also I had spelt Takashi Miike's name wrong, my bad.

Yes Y3's minigame master trophy is tough and many people give up on it, for me the toughest minigames were golf and pool as they gave me so much trouble.

He also made a prologue movie for the original game that SEGA of Europe released subtitled on the (now defunct) micorsite.

SephLuis

ugh.. i really want to get into this series but i just can't find a decently priced copy of the first one.

If you never end up finding it, you can skip it. I think 2 is one of the best games and it has a pretty good reminder of the events in 1.

Hope you find 1, but if you can't try finding the other titles.

If you never end up finding it, you can skip it. I think 2 is one of the best games and it has a pretty good reminder of the events in 1.

Hope you find 1, but if you can't try finding the other titles.

i'll keep looking, does 2 have a recap or something like that?

Top Bottom