• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

Weiss

Banned
You gotta first unlock the Kiwami attacks. They're unlocked at the beginning of the game but then you have to unlock them.

When unlocked, you simply activate the appropriate matching style (Dragon of Dojima for White, Brawler for Blue, Rush for Pink and Beast for Yellow) and then press triangle when you're next to them and have heat.

Alternatively, just use any weapon's heat move. They work regardless of style or whether you've unlocked Kiwami attacks.

Thanks, went and unlocked them and was able to beat the boss.

cj_iwakura

You can own hunting rifles and shotguns. There is required recurring training, recurring psych evals, and specific storage requirements (among other things), but it's possible.

Whoever is telling you that either watches too much anime or is wildly uninformed. If they live here then they are outright lying to you. I'll vouch for how awesomely safe it is, but to say petty thuggery or whatever you want to call it doesn't exist, and to then attribute that to that Yakuza of all things is ignorant to the point of being dangerous.
Half Japanese friend on FB, one of the admins of Paradise Hotel 51. Mind you, he's also a little nuts and a Trumper...

Big One

Banned
So I finished Yakuza 4 last night...some thoughts.

- Like I said in a previous post, pretty much anything with Saejima was great storytelling for them most part. Had some genuine emotional moments that had be teared up a few times here-and-there.
- I didn't really like Tanimura at first...
but that final segment of his chapter was simultaneously the worst and best segment ever. The boat chase sequence was some awful, but the fight with Seguichi as well as the cutscenes afterwards were so freaking good. Next to Saejima, those moments with Seguichi were some of the most emotional moments in the game.
-
It was really cool seeing Hamazaki back in action. There was some really strong moments with him as well. What a total bro.
- Akiyama is the man, but to be honest he really didn't have much of a point to the bigger plot of this story, lol. Neither did Kiryu. Fortunately, both Akiyama and Kiryu were the funnest characters to play as in the game, so they work out nicely.
- Though I will say Kiryu's place in the story wasn't as tacked on as I expected.
They made it work by giving Jingu more of a motivation other than wanting money. I thought connecting it to Yakuza 1's bare-bones plot to actually be pretty cool in the end. Gave more weight to the situation.
- The ending however was a complete mess.
The twist with Kido was actually pretty interesting at first, but all it ended up being was that Kido was just trying to take a big chance at making it big as a yakuza and nothing beyond that. Arai's motivations are muddled up, and I really have no idea why they had to make Daigo an antagonistic force in this game whatsoever out of the blue.
-
I also felt the rubber bullet twist should've been used ONLY for the Ueno Seiwa hit and nothing else. Katsuragi being the real killer was a cool twist, but it was so overused for everything else in the game it really got old real fast.
- Speaking of what the hell happened to Yoshiharu Ueno? I was kind of expecting him to be involved here as well.
- For some reason I was expecting a cliffhanger cause I've heard people on GAF saying you MUST play Yakuza 4 before you play Yakuza 5, but nothing in Yakuza 4 did that. Actually, the ending was pretty conclusive for the most part. So I'm really curious where Yakuza 5 is going to go with the
taxi driver Kiryu (Nani?!?!).
- I really felt like the game's story should've ended
when Kiryu rescued Saejima and Yasuko. That was a really great moment and while Katsuragi shouldn't have been the final boss (Munakata was the most appropriate obviously) I think they could've more or less pulled off everyone encountering each other on top of Kamurocho hills with a long series of boss battles ala Yakuza 2. Just my opinion on that, though. I still don't understand why Kido and Daigo have to be final bosses. : /

Despite all of this I greatly enjoyed it. It's the funnest Yakuza game I've played since Yakuza 0 in gameplay, and overall I liked it's story better than both Yakuza 1/Kiwami and Yakuza 3. There was some really great stuff here, but also some wonky writing as well.

I might take a break a bit after this, though I'm still looking forward to playing Yakuza 5 a LOT. Really curious what direction that game is going in.

IrishNinja

goddamn, still trying to tie up Kiwami now that i have a little time, but i just can't turn down subquests or completion stuff, haha. i'm finally in chapter 11 but i forget how much more there is from here - love it but i really should get on with halloween games soon!

Sallokin

Half Japanese friend on FB, one of the admins of Paradise Hotel 51. Mind you, he's also a little nuts and a Trumper...

My sister-in-law was the victim of this non-existent petty crime less than two weeks ago, hence my distaste for people perpetuating the myth of crime-free Japan. Mind, I'm not trying to be confrontational, just... exasperated at how often it pops up.

Anyway back to the RGGK2 hype ^_^

goddamn, still trying to tie up Kiwami now that i have a little time, but i just can't turn down subquests or completion stuff, haha. i'm finally in chapter 11 but i forget how much more there is from here - love it but i really should get on with halloween games soon!

I know the feeling. I'm finally starting Kiwami this weekend, felt that its ample time since I finished 0 and just enough time before Kiwami 2 comes out (especially as Kiwami is a shorter game on the whole). That and I've made excellent progress on Nioh as of late so I'm hoping I'll have that main game done within a decent time frame assuming a difficulty spike doesn't kick my ass!

Majima Everywhere is pretty great.

Where can I buy a weapon to fight him?

Either use the locker keys you may have found so far (some contain random weapons) or go to the adult film store (Beam I think its name is). You need the password for Beam though, you can learn it from one of the civilians on the street, and when you talk to the Beam shop employee and give them the password you'll be taken to a secret back room where you can buy weapons. Weapons can also be gotten from certain side missions and the pawn shop.

Weiss

Banned
I don't know if I want to play the game right now, but I'm so invested in the stories of these games that I need to keep going.

The cutscenes with Nishikiyama that bookend the chapters are incredible.

Gacha-pin

New kiwami gameplay played by Nakaya (VA of Nishiki, Shin, Ichiban)
https://youtu.be/Q3z4dn6Sqik

Just some battles, Virtual on and photo shoot mini game. Nothing new here using the same TGS build though.

Yokoyama says he is going to show the club management in the next streaming.

Sweet, looking forward to seeing the management stuff next then. I think the intro to the vid hasn't been shown before though? - the bit showing Daigo and Kiryu on the train heading into Osaka, its exactly as I remember from the PS2 version, right down to the long focus on the can of Boss coffee!

image.jpg

Does 0 not have sidequests marked until you find them?
You need an item called the Trouble finder which marks the starting point of all substories on the map. There's also an item called Encounter finder which marks enemy groups near you and Mr.Shakedown on the game map.

They're both found separately for Kiryu and Majima.

For Kiryu, you need to
complete "The Tax Lady" substory in chapter 5. It's a real-estate related thing, just keep doing the real estate stuff and this quest will pop up on it's own when you're near the entrance/inside the office.

For Majima, you need to
complete friendship with the Chef of the restaurant Komian.

Weiss

Banned
I love Kiryu and Majima so much you guys

so much

I think I like Kiwami's storyline more than 0's. 0 got pretty silly and campy with its sewer motorcycle battles and high speed helicoptor explosions, but Kiwami's got a very personal story about people screwing up real badly. The Nishiki scenes are gutwrencing.

I mean it also has a secret society of homeless spies but y'know, Yakuza.

Please tell me the Yakuza 6 theme song isn't getting cut. That ish is powerful.
https://youtu.be/TuqPiPdxslk

No word yet but judging by past instances of songs getting cut - all signs point to yes. And as someone who's completed the game I'll refuse to stop complaining about Sega's stupid choice as it'll completely ruin several powerful scenes in the game. Or they might surprise me and keep the song in. But they probably won't... :(

Playing 0, my first Yakuza right now.
Just seem to have
switched player characters
to Majima?

Very impressed with the game so far, the writing & performances are great, the combat is good fun too.
Does seem like it might get repetitive, but we'll see :).

Big One

Banned
Goddamn Yakuza 5 is so freaking dense and I'm only on Kiryu's part, lol. Really enjoying everything about it so far. Love they brought back the Omi Alliance and hell
an explanation for what happened to the Osaka Division Police after Kaoru dtiched them was pretty damn sweet too.
The taxi driving stuff is great shit as well.

Chesskid1

Banned
finished 4 and started with dead souls, i know i said i was going to take a break but it's almost halloween :D

i'm at the very beginning but i noticed the load times are much wose than 4, dunno if it's because i went from hdd to disc, but its really annoying

edit: not sure if i'll continue this game, really dislike the controls and the gameplay isn't for me, we'll see

overall, i liked yakuza 4. i really enjoyed all the new characters and hope to see them in yakuza 5. I thought kiryu's segments weren't the best, i was expecting epic things after waiting 3 parts and like 30 hours to get to him and it didn't happen. hostess maker and fighter maker weren't great either.

man, yakuza 6 is going to be so hype. i'll have most of the series played and i can't remember playing so many games in a series.

i'll probably give dead souls a few more hours to see if i'll get into it then play yakuza 5 maybe holiday break, seems like a perfect fit.

Gacha-pin

It could be a good game if its controls are twin stick controls. I don't understand why they brought those old school biohazard/silent hill-ish tank controls in 2011.

cj_iwakura

No word yet but judging by past instances of songs getting cut - all signs point to yes. And as someone who's completed the game I'll refuse to stop complaining about Sega's stupid choice as it'll completely ruin several powerful scenes in the game. Or they might surprise me and keep the song in. But they probably won't... :(
Someone tell the guy here who's on the localization team that we'll wait. Or donate if needed.

Opa-Pa

I think the best thing we can hope for is that Sega will have western fans in mind when dealing the rights for music in Kiwami 2 and onwards. Their perspective of the fanbase must have changed enough by now that they'll care about this stuff moving forward... 6 might be a lost cause by now, though, but who knows.

The localization team has stated many times that the licensing issues are out of their hands too, so I'm not blaming them whatever the outcome.

So since I'm almost at the end of Nioh I've finally made a start on my English copy of Kiwami today. Only done the first two chapters but my opinion on the game hasn't changed. I love it, thanks to the fact I loved the original PS2 version so much back on release, I'm grinning ear to ear at some of the early encounters. Plus thanks to my last playthrough I've already grabbed the Kiwami moves so I won't get caught out by bosses healing. Yay.

Now I just need to really start leveling up, between the lack of climax heat and just a general lack of moves my options in a fight are somewhat limited. But given a bit of time and thanks to all the side content in the game I'm sure its only a matter of time before I'm powered up nicely again (well, bar the DoD stance, that'll take the best part of 10ish chapters to become usable again).

But really as I said back when I played the Japanese version, its just nice to have a nice remake of the original game. I love the story and characters, but the controls and combat did need a shot in the arm especially if your playing it after coming from the later games in the series and this remake delivers. Can't wait to get stuck into this further, especially when the city opens up in a couple of chapters time.

Weiss

Banned
I am genuinely adoring my time with the Yakuza series but some of these bossfights are a fresh load of bullshit.

They're invariably damage sponges who can break out of combos without fail, and now this motherfucker is carrying pistols and can do Matrix shit all over the place. It makes me just want to stick to Easy mode so I can get to the actual enjoyable parts of the game.

Opa-Pa

Yakuza has always been kind of a mixed bag when it comes to bosses, to be honest. IMO the only one out of the games released in the west to have consistently great bosses that are both fair and fun is 0.

Desmond

Christ, I've been spoiled with Yakuza 6 on the ps4. Trying to play Of the End and it really shows its age. I don't mind how it looks except for the backgrounds.

Also my Japanese copy of Binary Domain has seem to have gotten lost in the post lol

I honestly have never had that many issues with bosses. 90% of them it was just a case of learning their attack chains, figuring out the best point to dodge behind them and then smack them in the back of the head - which is something they can't combo their way out of. Of course larger bosses like Shimano have super armor, so you just learn his attacks and then pick the points where he has tons of recovery time before he can attack again.

Add on weapons, environmental heat attacks, counters, numerous ways to build heat quick etc. and bosses shouldn't cause you too many problems (unless their names are either Amon or Jingu).

Ishin is definitely a game worth playing for its boss battles (Kenzan as well). Both have really awesome combat and especially once you've leveled up a bit things get really fun. The end of Ishin especially was a big highlight for me because of the boss fights. Really want to replay that again...

Opa-Pa

Personally my issue with Yakuza games isn't really that they're hard, but that they feel like you're taking turns to hit each other because they can break your combos whenever they please. It encourages cheesing them with boring tactics which to me simply isn't much fun.

There are outliers, of course, but still.

0 though was fantastic in this regard, because it gives you more tools thanks to the different styles and the fights are clearly designed around that idea (unlike Kiwami). Plus you can both interrupt each other's combos, making them feel more dynamic and fair... I imagine Ishin is the same, dammit, I want it.

gahhh, work has taken over my life for the past 2 weeks and I've been neglecting Kiwami.

Just got to Haruka, was mildly surprised at how I in fact did not hate her.

gahhh, work has taken over my life for the past 2 weeks and I've been neglecting Kiwami.

Just got to Haruka, was mildly surprised at how I in fact did not hate her.

I feel like you have to have a heart of stone to hate Haruka. As far as girlish plot devices whose only function is to get kidnapped go, Haruka is one of the best.

Weiss

Banned
Well I beat Kiwami.

The final fight itself was incredible, though the reveal of the main villain was pretty weak, and I can't believe Kiryu only rips his shirt off once in the whole game. He did it all the time in 0!

Honestly, I think Kiryu's probably one of the more positive male role models I've seen in a game.

Haruka 9 to 20yo
e8e80724.jpg

I could have sworn that she was 17/18 in Yakuza 5. Once again my old enemy (Maths) defeats me. Still love how you see Haruka grow up throughout the series along with Kiryu - well to an extent - Kiryu looked older/way more tired in 5, I guess the stint in prison revitalised him since he looked way younger in 6! Ditto with Seijima between 4 and 5, but I attribute that to getting a darn hair cut, goes from hobo to rather smart looking just by getting rid of his hair.

Currently doing a English run on Kiwami and really love how well the translation is done. The Majima dialogue is fantastic in some of the side content. Really nice to see the first game finally get a decent translation!

Gacha-pin

Majima corporation hiring
DMVAwJ-UMAE86Kp.jpg

Looking for powerful and aggressive workers welcome to at-home atmosphere workplace \(^o^)/

Top Bottom