• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yamato 2199 sequel season/series being made (Yamato 2202?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntr

Banned
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...ship-yamato-2199-season-in-development/.91035

The 11th issue of Yamato Crew Kaihou (Yamato Crew Report), the Yamato premium fan club magazine, published an interview with Space Battleship Yamato 2199 producer Shoji Nishizaki, revealing that a second season of the Space Battleship Yamato 2199 anime is in development. However, production will not be officially greenlit until after the end of the year.

The Space Battleship Yamato 2199 series is a remake of the original 1974 Space Battleship Yamato series created by Leiji Matsumoto and Yoshinobu Nishizaki. The series first premiered in Japan as a series of seven movies shown theatrically in Japan from 2012 to 2013, each containing four episodes' worth of runtime (except for the first movie, which only shows the first and second episode). It began airing on Japanese television in April 2013. A compilation film of the series opened in Japan last October with the title Uchū Senkan Yamato 2199: Tsuioku no Kōkai (Space Battleship Yamato 2199: Voyage of Remembrance), and a new film that continues the story opened in Japan on December 6, with the title Uchū Senkan Yamato 2199: Hoshi-Meguru Hakobune (Space Battleship Yamato 2199: Star-Voyaging Ark).

The original Space Battleship Yamato anime was adapted for American television in 1979 as Star Blazers

fuck yes

yami4ct

I didn't know much about the whole SBY franchise before checking out 2199, but man did I end up adoring that series. So glad I watched it. Hope the next season can come even close to reaching that quality.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Nice that anime was great. I don't know the source material but it felt like they had wrapped everything up in the first season.

Gravidee

I think 2199 makes it into my personal top 10, so can't wait for this.

Nice that anime was great. I don't know the source material but it felt like they had wrapped everything up in the first season.

There was a movie released that takes place between episodes 24 and 25. It basically sets up the villains for second season.

Gravidee

What the fuck? The journey is complete what on earth story do they want to tell further?

Take a look at the original Yamato second season if you want a gist of what direction they might go next.

We'll probably be seeing this as well:

latest

Yes, those are indeed two wave motion cannons.

cntr

Banned
I haven't watched 2199, is it worth watching as a fan of the original series?
Hell yes. It's the defintive version of Yamato.

i've been interested in checking out this series for a while now

is 2199 a good place to start?
Yes.

What the fuck? The journey is complete what on earth story do they want to tell further?
It'd be based on the original's season 2. The original story movie for 2199 sets it up.

But here's the general spoiler for the foreshadowing in 2199 itself:
It involves Gatlantis. The guys that Domel was fighting in his intro scene and the guys who were imprisoned on the prison planet (both things added to the 2199 version).

pants

Take a look at the original Yamato second season if you want a gist of what direction they might go next.

We'll probably be seeing this as well:

latest

Yes, those are indeed two wave motion cannons.

I had no idea there was even a season two of the original, wow

Was 2199 ever dubbed in English?

Such a massive fan of the original 80s series.

The company responsible for releasing the series in NA seems to have abandoned it. They released a few subbed Blu-rays but appear to have put the rest on hiatus, and it looks doubtful that they'll ever get around to a dub. :/

Which is shame, because I've been interested in checking out this series, but I'm not too keen on watching subbed anime on my computer these days. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet at some point.

tuffy

The company responsible for releasing the series in NA seems to have abandoned it. They released a few subbed Blu-rays but appear to have put the rest on hiatus, and it looks doubtful that they'll ever get around to a dub. :/
Their release strategy was uniquely terrible. Putting out the whole series as a set of expensive sub-only singles is aimed at an audience willing to pay a lot for Yamato 2199, yet unaware they could just import all the expensive sub-only singles straight from Japan. At least putting an English dub on it would've given people some reason to double-dip.

Gravidee

Their release strategy was uniquely terrible. Putting out the whole series as a set of expensive sub-only singles is aimed at an audience willing to pay a lot for Yamato 2199, yet unaware they could just import all the expensive sub-only singles straight from Japan. At least putting an English dub on it would've given people some reason to double-dip.

It is for this reason that I recently began to import the Japanese BD volumes, however cheap I could find them used. Too bad Funimation or Sentai doesn't have the license for this. Hell, I even would have settled for 4 volumes as released by Aniplex, so long as no one referred to the series as Star Blazers and that the subs were intact.

tuco11

Awesome!! Never new this existed until this thread. Thanks! Found the entire season online. Star Blazers was my favorite cartoon growing up.

Tuck

This was mentioned in the anime thread a few days ago, but yeah I'm extremely excited. Yamato 2199 and the movie are absolutely fantastic sci-fi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom