• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoh Yoshinari's Little Witch Academia: "Awesome free cartoon on Youtube"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Really like how innocent it was... lolita stuff weirds me out to no end, so its nice seeing anime companies can still make shows with kids in them without turning them into sex symbols...damn this thing was just awesome, cant wait for whatever is next

Innocence was definitely nice as it makes it an easier sell to people without throwing in various caveats.

wonzo

Banned
lwadiana.gif

rpmurphy

Perfectly short and sweet. I'd definitely would watch more if there's any chance it becomes anything more than a one-off thing though!

Fireblend

Banned
Of course. Anime is better now than it ever has been.

I dunno, I check back from time to time and find only disappointment. After that time in 2007 where Baccano!, Gurren Lagann, Denno Coil, Seirei no Moribito, Oh! Edo Rocket and a couple others were airing, it just seemed like anime quality took a dive fast. I tried to watch Psycho-Pass a few months ago when my friend was going crazy about it being like GitS: SAC and yeah.... no.

Edit: Let's not turn this thread into this conversation though. This is a beautiful thing and it deserves to not have its thread derailed. Some great stuff.

I dunno, I check back from time to time and find only disappointment. After that time in 2007 where Baccano!, Gurren Lagann, Denno Coil, Seirei no Moribito, Oh! Edo Rocket and a couple others were airing, it just seemed like anime quality took a dive fast. I tried to watch Psycho-Pass a few months ago when my friend was going crazy about it being like GitS: SAC and yeah.... no.

Did you see Gaf's AOTY 2012 thread? There's some good stuff these days.

Of course, there's also a lot of crap just because SO much gets made. I think there's something like 40 shows this season, which would be all the new anime you got in a year in the past.

Narag

Of course, there's also a lot of crap just because SO much gets made. I think there's something like 40 shows this season, which would be all the new anime you got in a year in the past.

Wish I had that link to that vid that showed how many tv series per year were made from like the 60s and how much is made now.

Fireblend

Banned
Come on guys, don't turn me into the one that derailed the thread :( I'll check that stuff, I promise, can we go back to discussing this jewel? So is this only directed by Yoshinari, or did he have a hand at animation like (I think) he usually does?

Lol that thread reminded me of SAO. So many broken hopes and dreams.

7Th

Come on guys, don't turn me into the one that derailed the thread :( I'll check that stuff, I promise, can we go back to discussing this jewel? So is this only directed by Yoshinari, or did he have a hand at animation like (I think) he usually does?

He was the animation director and did some key animation. He was also the concept artist and the character designer. Little Witch Academia is pure Yoshinari.

Just finished it. Definitely family friendly if anyone is wondering.

Very whimsical. I really like the concept of these, long enough for one episode but packed with some experimental stuff that you probably wouldn't see in a TV series.

My hope is that this creates a new trend of animated shorts.

Just finished it. Definitely family friendly if anyone is wondering.

Very whimsical. I really like the concept of these, long enough for one episode but packed with some experimental stuff that you probably wouldn't see in a TV series.

My hope is that this creates a new trend of animated shorts.

It's already part of a set of animated shorts by various different studios. It happens every year.

Instro

If you guys like this then you should check out previous years Young Animator Projects. Lots of great one shots to be had, all are very kid friendly as well. Although Wasurenagumo is somewhat dark.

7Th

If you guys like this then you should check out previous years Young Animator Projects. Lots of great one shots to be had, all are very kid friendly as well. Although Wasurenagumo is somewhat dark.

Other than Little Witch Academia, my favorite is Kizuna Ichigeki. It's really underrated as far as these things go.

We should just have an Anime Mirai thread at this point. I've only liked a few, but it might interest people that aren't huge on anime. Low commitment and all.

Instro

Other than Little Witch Academia, my favorite is Kizuna Ichigeki. It's really underrated as far as these things go.

The only one I didn't like was Bannou Yasai Ninninman. Otherwise they have all been pretty unique and enjoyable, and this years is already off to a great start. Looking forward to watching Death Billiards.

Full list of the last 2 sets for those interested:

Kizuna Ichigeki
Ojii-san no Lamp
Tansu Warashi
Bannou Yasai Ninninman
Buta
Wasurenagumo
Puka Puka Juju
Shiranpuri

7Th

The only one I didn't like was Bannou Yasai Ninninman. Otherwise they have all been pretty unique and enjoyable, and this years is already off to a great start. Looking forward to watching Death Billiards.

Well, LWA is supposed to be the "grand finale" of the new set. They saved it for last in the theatrical screenings and it got its Japanese TV airing at the end. It would have really unfair for the other shorts if it had been first. :p

I'd say the Idolm@ster's dance sequences impressed me more, Trigger worked on those, right?

For some reason I just can't get excited by action sequences.

The direction felt a bit too tame/boring as well, but was this Yoshinari's first shot at that?

I understand Anime Mirai is some kind of talent showcase, but as pretty as LWA it is, pretty is meaningless with a premise like that. Even if it can be interpreted as an allegory to animation being something simple and 'magical', the passing of the torch in the industry, and late night anime being too pretentious, I think of anime as a media which most of the times goes beyond pure entertainment, and I think that's why LWA disappointed me.

I still think Ninninman is the best Anime Mirai project to date. LWA definitely is the less daring one, that's for sure.

Maybe my expectations were a bit too high because of all the hype though, heh.

Except Arve Rezzle I guess.
This one's going to gain infamy as time goes by. I couldn't care less about incest cyberpunk, personally.

I get the feeling that this is going to become Trigger's fluke year for Anime Mirai. Everything about this short reeks of quality more befitting experienced animators like Yoshinari than genuine beginners. I wonder how they even got selected to receive the federal grant! Maybe I'm wrong about all this; it does seem, though, that the studio's heading on to greater projects anyway. But I'd like to see them continue making shorts like this, either thanks to national funding or through anthology projects with other studios. The possibilites are endless.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I'd say the Idolm@ster's dance sequences impressed me more, Trigger worked on those, right?

For some reason I just can't get excited by action sequences.

The direction felt a bit too tame/boring as well, but was this Yoshinari's first shot at that?

I understand Anime Mirai is some kind of talent showcase, but as pretty as LWA it is, pretty is meaningless with a premise like that. Even if it can be interpreted as an allegory to animation being something simple and 'magical', the passing of the torch in the industry, and late night anime being too pretentious, I think of anime as a media which most of the times goes beyond pure entertainment, and I think that's why LWA disappointed me.

I still think Ninninman is the best Anime Mirai project to date. LWA definitely is the less daring one, that's for sure.

Maybe my expectations were a bit too high because of all the hype though, heh.

I'm not sure what you mean by "pretty being meaningless", the reason it's pretty is because of the hard work put into all the actual aspects of animation, like the storyboarding, character design, key frames, layouts, and so on, those are all technical stuff.

cajunator

Banned
if you want to watch somethinng similar to this, watch Tweeny Witches.
Its cute and well animated with a unique artstyle and design.

Instro

Well, LWA is supposed to be the "grand finale" of the new set. They saved it for last in the theatrical screenings and it got its Japanese TV airing at the end. It would have really unfair for the other shorts if it had been first. :p

Well you know what I mean!

Except Arve Rezzle I guess.

Wouldn't know, haven't seen it yet.
Incest lulz

Ninjimbo

I don't care about animated shorts, but I saw this one anyway and liked it. Hopefully Trigger's show later this year is able to channel the same spirit. It's been too long since we got a show like Gurren Lagann.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom