• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoh Yoshinari's Little Witch Academia: "Awesome free cartoon on Youtube"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Yeah I meant to say it's extremely rare. I could probably hand-count all of the examples in that period.
Edit: Note that Utena herself is animated on 3s on that scene while the stairs are animated on 1s.
Yeah. Similarly, something I've noticed while watching Sailor Moon is that character animation is done in threes while effects animation is done in twos, so they sort of fill the gaps with each other.
But that scene was animated with the intention of being repeated again, and again, and again, and again, and again...
Gotta squeeze that money tight.

wonzo

Banned
A good example of frame modulation would be Mushi-shi where everything was animated on 2's and 3's except for the Mushi which were animated on 1's to give them an otherworldly feel.

Ikael

I really, really enjoyed this very much. I would love to see it turned into a 13 episodes type of series, there's some charming je ne sais quois about magic academies stories. Also, the animation was reaaaaally smooth, nothing too much over the top or experimental as Satoshi Kon's works, but still good, classy stuff.

animation is good but it still does not match Disney Quality.

If someone with knowledge may chime in... why it still does not meet Disney quality of yore? is it lack of keyframes?

The character design and the graphic style of Disney's earlier works were made in order to match the animation that they were aiming for rather than the other way around, drawings being subservient to animation.

BadWolf

Oh wow, really? I thought at the very least some of the bigger series with higher budgets and crazy action were shot on 1s. Just goes to show how well they've mastered their technique.

Animating on 1s doesn't result in better animation by the way, that's why generally speaking Disney, Dreamworks etc. animate on 2s.

Sure there are some exceptions here and there to speed up or slow down action but in general animating on 2s for good animation is the norm. Animating on 1s is not common, regardless of budget.

Also gotta remember that especially with the older works like Bambi etc. the animators at Disney were still experimenting with the medium.

7Th

A good example of frame modulation would be Mushi-shi where everything was animated on 2's and 3's except for the Mushi which were animated on 1's to give them an otherworldly feel.

I still get mad when people call them CG.

Animating on 1s doesn't result in better animation by the way, that's why generally speaking Disney, Dreamworks etc. animate on 2s.

Sure there are some exceptions here and there to speed up or slow down action but in general animating on 2s for good animation is the norm. Animating on 1s is not common, regardless of budget.

Also gotta remember that especially with the older works like Bambi etc. the animators at Disney were still experimenting with the medium.

Oh I know, like I said it has to do with fluidity (and also the skill of the people doing it, obviously). Look at something like The Thief and the Cobbler, which was all hand-drawn and shot on 1s, and you can immediately tell the difference between that and something shot on 2s. I know that 2s are far, far more common. I think (but may be wrong) that Roger Rabbit was also animated on 1s since Spielberg and the others wanted them to constantly be moving, to not stand out from the live action. Bambi was shot on 1s because they were trying to match the movements of the animals and make it as realistic looking as possible.

Cheddahz

Banned
I enjoyed it, it's not the best thing to ever come out of Japan, but the animation and the Harry Potter story were really good

Branduil

Anime is almost never shot on 1s if not at all for the past 40 years or so. It's usually on 3s for TV animation with shifting on 2s for when it is necessary. In the case of LWA, based on reported framecounts, it was shot entirely on 2s.

It's pretty rare, although not unheard of to have anime shots done on 1s. KyoAni has been known to do it at times, such as in this shot of Hyouka:

iO2VzgK5W2ADN.gif

In this case it was done to match the CGI tracking shot and to give the scene more of a hyper-realistic feeling. It's generally pretty noticeable when a shot is done on 1s.

Theonik

It's pretty rare, although not unheard of to have anime shots done on 1s. KyoAni has been known to do it at times, such as in this shot of Hyouka:

http://i.minus.com/iO2VzgK5W2ADN.gif

In this case it was done to match the CGI tracking shot and to give the scene more of a hyper-realistic feeling. It's generally pretty noticeable when a shot is done on 1s.
It doesn't really affect what I said though, it's extremely rare and on the few exceptions when it is done it's usually for stylistic purposes not to match a perceived level of motion.

Branduil

It doesn't really affect what I said though, it's extremely rare and on the few exceptions when it is done it's usually for stylistic purposes not to match a perceived level of motion.

I wasn't really disagreeing with you, just providing more information.

Articalys

Trigger's Little Witch Academia Blu-ray Offered in North America
The new localization and game company acttil announced on Wednesday that it will offer the Blu-ray Disc of Trigger's magical fantasy anime Little Witch Academia in North America this summer. The 26-minute anime will serve as acttil's first anime title.

The anime will come in a collector's edition on Blu-ray Disc with an original soundtrack disc and a 112-page art book with storyboards, sketches, character art, and illustrations. Video extras include a 66-minute making-of video that chronicles fledgling studio Trigger's journey to create Little Witch Academia for the Anime Mirai 2013 program. The disc will have the Japanese soundtrack with English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Chinese subtitles.

The studio is celebrating the release with a contest. 50 fans can win a chance to attend a private Los Angeles screening of the Little Witch Academia anime and the never-before-seen making-of video. The anime's writer, Masahiko Otsuka, will be in attendance for a question-and-answer session. Prizes will also be given out to winners in attendance.

The screening will take place at the JW Marriott Los Angeles LA Live hotel on July 6 at 2:00 p.m. (Anime Expo will be held at the nearby Los Angeles Convention Center July 4-7.) Fans can enter by e-mailing their full name, address, and phone number to contest@actill.com before June 26. Accommodations and travel are not provided.
They're also having a interview question contest to win autographed Trigger swag and one copy of the BD. Well, the contest is over, so the interview will come later.

Epic Drop

I'm glad this thread was bumped. I had missed it the first time, but tonight I took a half hour and watched the movie and really enjoyed it!

Thanks GAF!

Foolworm

Anime is almost never shot on 1s if not at all for the past 40 years or so. It's usually on 3s for TV animation with shifting on 2s for when it is necessary. In the case of LWA, based on reported framecounts, it was shot entirely on 2s.

As far as I know, the only anime feature shot on ones is Fairy Florence. Even Ghibli doesn't try to do that (well, now they are with Kaguya-hime, I guess).

Just figured that I'd throw this out here, but my press outlet just got approved to interview Masahiko Otsuka, the script writer of Little Witch Academia. Are there any pressing questions that anyone wants us to ask him?

Thanks!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Just figured that I'd throw this out here, but my press outlet just got approved to interview Masahiko Otsuka, the script writer of Little Witch Academia. Are there any pressing questions that anyone wants us to ask him?

Thanks!
How awesome is Turning Girls? So awesome.

FireCloud

Just watched the YT video for the first time....I hope this becomes a series that makes its way over to NA. I smiled and laughed through the whole episode. Definitely something I'll keep and eye out for!

Too bad the YT video says it will be removed at the end of June. There are some friends I'd like to show it to but don't know if I'll have a chance to show them by then.

Theonik

Just watched the YT video for the first time....I hope this becomes a series that makes its way over to NA. I smiled and laughed through the whole episode. Definitely something I'll keep and eye out for!

Too bad the YT video says it will be removed at the end of June. There are some friends I'd like to show it to but don't know if I'll have a chance to show them by then.
The video will remain up on Crunchyroll and it's getting an NA bound BD release.

Shoyz

The website updated, and from the twitter on it, google translated:

I'm sorry if you can not quite announced details of Blu-ray Little Witch Academia. From specification has been delayed because it was exploring that I can do that until the last minute. Mook of various materials making full one-hour narration of Hidaka, soundtrack CD with, and interview, say now countries subtitles. Release is scheduled in August!

Any idea what the price on this thing might be?

Articalys

Crossposting from the anime thread.

For some monetary goal context -- and somebody please correct me if my facts are wrong -- looking it up, each Anime Mirai project each year receives 38 million yen, which was equivalent to about US$480,000 back in June 2012 when the 2013 projects were decided, but is only equivalent to about US$380,000 by today's exchange rates.

UrbanRats

I watched the first episode in the OP and i gotta say, even though i'm usually not into this kind of anime (really don't care much for the humor or the characters) the drawing and animation quality is mind blowing for what, i understand, is a serialized show.

injurai

Banned
I watched the first episode in the OP and i gotta say, even though i'm usually not into this kind of anime (really don't care much for the humor or the characters) the drawing and animation quality is mind blowing for what, i understand, is a serialized show.

isn't it just the one short? Or is there more now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom