• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YOLO, coming to a dictionary near you soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I though tweep was a misspelling or twerp.

They should also include "choc ice" to prevent someone misusing it in the future and getting arrested.

They should include older words that have stood the test of time (well a couple of years) then current fad words that will be replacement by yesterday. I of course suggest "moe" since everyone gets the definition wrong.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Fuck YOLO.

YOLT is more like it!

d5eb7.jpg

Society trying to make relevancy out of pretty much anything, just because it's popular on the internet is beyond asinine. Without an once of hyperbole, this is actually borderline painful >_>

I don't mind, and neither should anyone else. Dictionaries don't tell you how to use words, but rather how words are used. The English language is evolving, and with its evolution come new words.

I swear, if some of you were alive a few centuries ago, you'd be complaining about "eyeball" entering the dictionary. "Egads! This tome of words doth include yet another fictional word by Sir Shakespeare. Fornicate m'lyfe."

Maybe you've never heard of LASER.

Laser, Sonar are all inventions: things.

YOLO is a sentence in an acronym and nothing more. It's laziness and nothing more. Its definition is the word.

This is the definition of laser:
a device that produces a nearly parallel, nearly monochromatic, and coherent beam of light by exciting atoms to a higher energy level and causing them to radiate their energy in phase.

You really don't see the difference here?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I still don't even know what a weeaboo is. Forget this YOLO stuff!

Someone who curses their non Japanese heritage and deems anything Japanese automatically better. Alternative for Wapanese basically. 4chan basically filter wapanese to weeaboo which is how it started.

Guess I could suggest that to Collins. Just did moe.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I wouldn't worry too much about new fad words getting added to the dictionary, as words that have fallen OUT of common use are being removed with every edition. It's always hard to tell which ones are going to stick around and which will fall by the wayside, but if they're commonly used now I don't see any reason not to add them.

But seriously though, don't add YOLO.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Laser, Sonar are all inventions: things.

YOLO is a sentence in an acronym and nothing more. It's laziness and nothing more. Its definition is the word.

This is the definition of laser:
a device that produces a nearly parallel, nearly monochromatic, and coherent beam of light by exciting atoms to a higher energy level and causing them to radiate their energy in phase.

You really don't see the difference here?
Complete different things. YOLO is an acronym of a phrase. It is completely unnecessary for the "word" to be added, especially since it's not even used in everyday speech.
I wasn't defending YOLO by any means, I just wanted to talk about LASERs.

MIMIC

Banned
Collins has already identified an initial list of new word candidates. It includes: creeping, cray, legbomb, yolo, mantyhose, superphone, sweatworking, Tebowing, tweeps and twitlit.

Really? Pathetic.

RJT

So, Kanye needed a one syllable word that meant crazy and came up with Cray. One year later, it may end up in a dictionary. You got to love the Internet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom