• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee Patch: Fixing camera & performance issues

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The game just came out. They must have known it was fucked before release so they should have waited.

No it didn't, it releases in 5 days, the version customers are getting is the patched one. However they probably should have moved the review embargo to be closer to release.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Could you comment on the PS4 version at all? Or you might not be testing that one
PS4 version has been a perfect 30fps for me thus far (just through tome 1)

Do you have any input on the camera pre and post patch? Is it much better?
I've had very little issues with it and it does seem improved. There are still a couple spots where it quickly changes perspective but, in general, it hasn't been an issue.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
PS4 version has been a perfect 30fps for me thus far (just through tome 1)

I've had very little issues with it and it does seem improved. There are still a couple spots where it quickly changes perspective but, in general, it hasn't been an issue.

Well that's very positive news then. Thanks for the response. I look forward to your coverage

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
That's an interesting point.

Before FPS testing, I always make sure to reboot my Xbox One just in case as I have also encountered weird crashes or other issues when I don't. Maybe related to suspend mode? Either way, the system does seem somewhat unstable.

I'd be curious to know if those having issues had freshly rebooted their Xbox?
It's certainly a possible factor.

I always reboot my Xbox before steaming to my Linx Vision as streaming is impacted the longer the Xbox goes without a reboot. It really really shouldn't cause performance hiccups but the Instant-On functionality still seems to be coming at a cost.

I wonder if for more performance marginal games it's worth testing an Instant-On system that has had use, vs a rebooted one and one that has the function disabled.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So that means the initial PC version will have this update? There won't be a PC version prior to this?

Those with a physical copy will need to download a patch as the game went gold at the end of January, however the Steam/GOG builds will be current.

Clafou

Neo Member
Does the PS4 Pro run at 30fps ? I really want to play this game on my couch but man... 30 fps looks so weird on a game like that :(

dark10x

Does the PS4 Pro run at 30fps ? I really want to play this game on my couch but man... 30 fps looks so weird on a game like that :(
Yes.

...but why does it look weird? I mean, this is a spiritual successor to an N64 game. :p

nkarafo

Any word for the N64 graphics mode? This was the one feature i was mostly looking forward to but i haven't seen any footage of it yet.

Yes.

...but why does it look weird? I mean, this is a spiritual successor to an N64 game. :p
I hope the PC version can run at 60fps with a 960 class GPU or higher but with Unity as the engine i doubt it.

Karak

Those are two of the issues that ACG mentioned so this will be a great patch.

Ya hoping they can do it. Though magically fixing it in a patch when they had the entire development cycle prior to release to get it right seems odd. But I am prepared to believe in magic.
Then again I am far more interested in the camera being completely fixed than the performance. But that's because I had the PC version. So hopefully the Ps4 and Xbox get some much needed fixes there.

robotrock

Banned
I'm thinking the patch helped a lot. Just installed on my regular Xbox One (haven't tried it yet) but I've been playing a lot on Xbox One S and it's very fluid for the most part (well, fluid for 30fps).

The game aims for 30fps on consoles? Had no idea

dark10x

Gamexplain uploaded a video of the patch. They say it fixes a lot of the framerate issues. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1LNDsl3HJE
This is interesting and I do think there is something going on with his Xbox One. Those stutters that occur (independent of the alpha effects) simply DO NOT occur on any of our test systems here. I actually ran a good hour of gameplay in the first world through our frame-rate analysis tools and there was exactly one stutter and it was smaller than anything there.

Now, alpha effects in front of the camera do cause issues as it bumps up against the Xbox One's GPU capabilities (the game is 1080p like PS4). The reason it feels so dramatic is that it uses a double buffer v-sync just like Zelda Breath of the Wild so, like that game, the frame-rate drops to 20fps basically when it can't hold 30.

...but those kind of drops are very rare, actually. Those fire jets are pretty much the worst thing I've found in the first three worlds.

What's interesting is that, even pre-patch, I never ran into any of those massive stutters shown in the video...which highlights that issue I mentioned previously that Xbox One consoles seem highly variable depending on a number of unknown factors. I've seen exactly this kind of situation where on Xbox One system will have massive performance issues while another one is perfectly smooth. A reboot usually fixes this but not always. It's very odd. I believe what he is seeing in that video is not a fault of the game itself, rather, a fault of the Xbox One OS/hardware.

Which makes me think this might be a mileage may vary situation with most Xbox One consoles offering a stable experience while others might struggle. I spent more than six hours testing the game on Xbox One (more pre-patch) and was never able to trigger those massive stutters.

There also seems to be a weird expectation from everyone that this should have been 60fps but I just don't understand where that came from. This is a Unity game built by moderately small team and ported by a third party (Team 17) with huge maps. I mean, that it runs this stable is impressive especially when all versions are 1080p native. Coudl a game like this run at 60fps on consoles? With a custom engine, more money and a larger staff I'm sure it could be done but it was never going to happen in this situation. The biggest shame is the lack of PS4 Pro support, really.

Top Bottom