• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshinori Kitase talks Final Fantasy VII Remake progress, battle system and more

Philippo

Right now the best we can hope is for Part 1 to release by late 2018, with the long developement being attributed to building a good framework for the later episodes, that will come out much sooner (no more than a year and a half/two years each).
But who am i kidding, Ep1 will probably come in 2019 and it will take 3 years for each following part :(
I hope we'll at least get FFXVI meanwhile.
I wonder where this puts KHIII though, H1 2018?

He's still at BD5 (former FFXII/now FFXIV team), which could be the team that's making FFXVI - so, there's a chance he's working on that. They've started hiring for a big game in March last year looking for both singleplayer- and MMO-experienced people, as pointed out by Kagari and APZonerunner.

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/recruit/career/group/5bd/

I still firmly believe we'll get a FFXVI, and the stars are aligning for it to be developed by the XIV division, directed by Ito and maybe produced by YoshiP?

DKHF

Didn't Tabata's team work on PSP games? They got XV out the door in 3 years since he took over as Director while working with an incomplete engine that they had to build up.

It's also going to be the more technically demanding game compared to KH3.
Tabata's team didn't have to shift engines (a decision made in large part or entirely because the XV team merged with the Luminous team) 2 years into development setting them back a lot. From the 1.5 years it was developed before Tabata became sole director his team also would have had a decent amount of assets (e.g. the main characters that stayed in the transition's models, enemy models like Iron Giant), practice developing for next-gen and detailed representations of major areas like Altissia to work off of.

And I don't think there was quite as much overlap between Type-0/PSP-level staff and XV staff as there is between DDD and KH3's staff considering XV was developed at the heart of Square Enix in Tokyo where there is many more current employees to more easily pool from across the company from than there is in Osaka.

The director of the PSP Dissidia games is working with Nomura on the battle system?

That's pretty hype.

Regarding Kitase's comments, I really think SE would do a lot better regarding their comments if they just gave more solid dates for when they would show off new stuff. Instead of saying "Just wait a bit longer", they should just say "The next big reveal will be at E3."

If they just did that, I think the silence would be a lot more tolerable.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
i want toriyama to direct xvi, not that janitor ito

wtd2009

The director of the PSP Dissidia games is working with Nomura on the battle system?

That's pretty hype.

Regarding Kitase's comments, I really think SE would do a lot better regarding their comments if they just gave more solid dates for when they would show off new stuff. Instead of saying "Just wait a bit longer", they should just say "The next big reveal will be at E3."

totally agree, i'd love this. polygon just did an article on transparency and how lack thereof really kills hype in games like this with no end in sight for development. i think if we felt like we had more tangible timelines it'd be a lot less frustrating, and we'd all feel like we were along for the ride up to the point of release, and thus more invested in the end.

DKHF

That's pretty hype.

I would rather them be like that too but Kitase himself said back at PSX 2015 they love to surprise people with new trailers. So as a result of that they say weirdly vague things (about their projects' next showings) that are interpreted to be the worst case scenario by many. The most recent example being Nomura saying to Famitsu he "hopes to show KH3 in 2017" even though we know we are seeing something of it within the next 2 months for the winter announcements.

Mory Dunz

There were people who thought VII Remake would release before KH3?

Surprisingly, yes. They thought ep 1 would be before KH3. Which made me lol.

Since 2013 and since when FF7 was announced I've been FFXV - 2017, KH3, 2018, FF7 Ep 1, 2019. And FFXV should've ended up 2017 as far as I'm concerned >_>

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Famitsu also asked him about a possible Final Fantasy VI Remake, to which he replied: “Right now, we’re working onFinal Fantasy VII… The staff within the company are also saying [they’d like to remake it] but it’s on reserve.”

Kuso ̄

Cloukyo

Banned
Speak for yourself. It took me 80 hours myself.

Yeah, the campaign was barely 30 hours no matter how you look at it, I didn't even rush it, I played through it at the pace I would any other rpg, I didn't do hunts because the combat didn't appeal to me, not did the mediocre monster design (for the regular monsters). FF7 won't rely on fetch quests and hunts on a barren wasteland to make up those other 50 hours.

But yeah, good for you, 80 hours for a game that is mostly desert.

Here's a list of unique locations in FF7.

http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/place7.shtml.

Tell me how many unique locations FFXV had. The game that took you 80 hours to complete.

Now think about how big those locations will have to be in comparison to the ones in the pathetically small ones in FFXV, How many of them even compare to Junon or Midgar?

Don't get me wrong, more than 4 years for just part one is taking the piss, I'm hoping the finished assets of part one will mean only a year or so gap between the others. But still, the game is LITERALLY impossible to make as one installment.

Fraxin

I still firmly believe we'll get a FFXVI, and the stars are aligning for it to be developed by the XIV division, directed by Ito and maybe produced by YoshiP?

What if after playing FFXIV, Matsuno wants to handle the story and game design of FFXVI?

Philippo

What if after playing FFXIV, Matsuno wants to handle the story and game design of FFXVI?

YoshiP producing, Ito directing ad lead game designer, Matsuno main writer, someone different than Nomura/Yoshida for character designer, Luminous Engine 3.0, coming 2019 as this gen's swan song.
Sounds like a fanboy dream
and it is

kromeo

YoshiP producing, Ito directing ad lead game designer, Matsuno main writer, someone different than Nomura/Yoshida for character designer, Luminous Engine 3.0, coming 2019 as this gen's swan song.
and it is

Why you do this :(

and it is
No thanks. Leave Matsuno out of a mainline FF. He can create another FF Tactics though.

Let's just say the first episode is midgar are they going to fil it with boring meaningless side fetch quests like LR and ff15?
True.

i-Jest

FF16
1+6
FF7

VfNTeRe.gif

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we don't see the game until next gen, whatever that's going to look like.

totally agree, i'd love this. polygon just did an article on transparency and how lack thereof really kills hype in games like this with no end in sight for development. i think if we felt like we had more tangible timelines it'd be a lot less frustrating, and we'd all feel like we were along for the ride up to the point of release, and thus more invested in the end.

100%. Hard timelines are scary because things can change so unexpectedly, but we aren't even talking about committing to a release date. Giving solid commitments of when we will receive more information would be so much better than "please wait a bit longer". I "waited a bit longer" for 7 years before getting anything resembling solid info on FFXV, would like some assurance this isn't happening again.

Top Bottom