• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshinori Ono Details Deep Down

Violater

I mean for example this is confirmed running real time on PS4:

http://abload.de/img/dark_sorcerer1_bqeuhgu0kou.gif[IMG]

Beside that fire in that target video that target video is worse than real time tech demo from Quantic Dream. QD also has proven track record of delivering better looking game that their tech demos.[/QUOTE]

Yea but one of these is supposed to be a game you can actually play, the other well....

Perkel

Banned
Yea but one of these is supposed to be a game you can actually play, the other well....

Well other one give you character that moves and interact in 3D world. Like adventure games you know.

Stupid points aside, Heavy rain did give you some exploration and anything had to be rendered in real time.

We are yet to see game in alpha stage and from alpha to release there will be massive improvement. That's how development cycle works.

Has it explicitly been confirmed to be ps4 exclusive.....seems like theyre avoiding the issue entirely.

They have on site SCE developers working with Capcom on this game and their engine. Unless MS do that too i don't see how it is multiplatform.

Similar things was with FF Versus but because of developement hell things were changed.

Gamerloid

Why? twas awesome on Wii's shitty speakers, twas great on the U's pad (heck the only sound that comes from ZombiU is from the pad) and twill be awesome on ps4!
Thing is they need to provide choice on this.

My dislike for it started with Mario Kart Wii. Things are constantly homing onto you that it would always make that warning noise. No More Heroes had those phone calls and I couldn't understand what she was saying.

ZombiU did it right though. It worked well and the sound was perfect. I don't like it in Batman Arkham City Armored Edition however. I tend to turn off the sound so it can appear on the TV speakers. If done right I don't have a problem with it, so I would be fine with choice.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I hate stuff like this, I really do. It's already annoying on the Wii U for me.

Haha, I was about to highlight this part and say how much I loved it, and wish there was more of this stuff.

Violater

Well other one give you character that moves and interact in 3D world. Like adventure games you know.

Stupid points aside, Heavy rain did give you some exploration and anything had to be rendered in real time.

We are yet to see game in alpha stage and from alpha to release there will be massive improvement. That's how development cycle works.

I guess my point was what they showed in Feb was supposed to be running on PS4 architecture which we can agree it was not. We (well maybe just me) was lead to believe that the game was further along than it actually is.
I hope the game turns out looking as good as it did in the reveal, as for the mechanics and gameplay so far I can't make heads or tails out of it.

This is the first time I've read something about the game that actually excited me. I'm glad to see the performance will be there. I'm intrigued. Not sold, but intrigued.

vg260

I think the 60 fps statement is probably a general thing about the PS4. Best not to assume he's promising it for this game.

OnFire331

Those details sound great, it seems like Deep Down could be an amazing dungeon crawler. Not sure if I believe the game will hit 60fps though (I'd be glad to be proven wrong).

StevieP

Banned
Deep Down meeting trailer didn't have perfect IQ. Objects cliped, there was evident aliasing. If you don't believe me try Gamersyde 1080p video. Aliasing in that video is very evident.

Point is it was not some CG. IT was clearly run on some hardware (probably "speced to PS4" PC). 2006 Sony E3 bullshots were all CGI.

One thing i don't belive is achievable now is that Fire physic. But we don't really know anything about compute abilities of PS4 since it should have more compute power than most of top GPU in PC market.

I didn't say deep down. Deep down was on a PC with a 680 and/or 590 (not a dev kit - a PC). I was talking about your examples with quantic

Jac_Solar

This doesn't make much sense;

The representation of environments is close to photo realistic, and elements like degradation of weapon and armor will also be displayed graphically. The PS4 is able to calculate the accumulation of mold, dirt and rust on equipment and display it on the textures, giving you the sensation that those items really exist in the world.

I assume that these systems will be procedurally generated, which means that it shouldn't require much performance (Games like Evochron Mercenary has a massive universe with lots of planets you can land on, and is only 200-300mb.). So, it could theoretically be done just as easily on Xbox 360 or PS3 - it just requires a lot of work to make procedural systems work on interactive items, I assume. So, now, that they are working on PS4, they suddenly have the workforce and such?

Red - In combat
Green - In a forest
Blue - Swimming
Yellow - Basking in the glory of the sun

Who the fuck thought the lightbar was a good idea? Jesus.. like I'm going to looking down at my controller to check out the colour. I hope that shit doesn't reflect too much in plasma displays.

In dark scenes it absolutely will.

Gammacide

Sounding good to me. Sounds like they at least understand the trepidation a lot of gamers feel toward online-only titles. Really excited to see how the final product turns out. Remember, seeing Demon's Souls for the first time at TGS, the framerate was ultra-shit and if it ran that poorly for a final release it would never have done as well. The final version looked great and ran without issue and it became one of the greatest games of the generation if not all-time. I have very high hopes for Deep Down.

Portugeezer

Like we don't have enough medieval fantasy games.

As for Assassins Creed, there's Assassins Creed and... welp.

Deep Down has its place.

Perkel

Banned
I didn't say deep down. Deep down was on a PC with a 680 and/or 590 (not a dev kit - a PC). I was talking about your examples with quantic

Quantic Demo was demoed and it was interactive demo. They confirmed it runs on PS4.
They also given you controlled to play with it @ e3 so anyone could see it personally. They also did that @ gamescom in journalist day.

Even if that tech demo didn't run on PS4 they have long history of delivering better looking games that their tech demos.

PureGone

Banned
Quantic Demo was demoed and it was interactive demo. They confirmed it runs on PS4.
They also given you controlled to play with it @ e3 so anyone could see it personally. They also did that @ gamescom in journalist day.

Even if that tech demo didn't run on PS4 they have long history of delivering better looking games that their tech demos.

Exactly

Perkel

Banned
I didn't say it was. Was just pointing out there aren't a lot of games like AC (being in a more modern setting and going to the past).

Oh i see. Problem is that it is easily the worst element of AC.

They should just scrap this whole DNA part and deliver open world games. As for DeDe we are yet to see what this means.

I just hope they won't fucking introduce futuristic UI. That was immersion breaker in AC1

Flatline

Banned
The quality showcased in the PlayStation Meeting in February was reached considerably quickly

Haha no. Unless he's talking about an updated built that we haven't seen yet what was demonstrated isn't even close.

Anko

He doesn't say a single thing about 60 fps in the video...

Indeed. I don't hear anything in the video that indicates this line at all:

The quality showcased in the PlayStation Meeting in February was reached considerably quickly, and things like 60 frames per seconds are relatively easy to achieve.
Neither the first half of the sentence nor the second half.

In fact, there's quite a few pointers not from the video. He did praise the speed of calculations and the speed of the memory though, which is why he is glad they are doing it on the PS4.
Unless my Japanese is a lot worse than I thought, these are missing from the video:
  • There will be a beta after the release of the PS4, and Ono-san wants it to begin as soon as possible.
  • Sony has created an easy development environment for the PS4, and that’s a welcome change.
  • The quality showcased in the PlayStation Meeting in February was reached considerably quickly, and things like 60 frames per seconds are relatively easy to achieve.
  • The automatic generation of dungeons is achieved thanks to the power of the PS4. It’s not completely random, but automatically generated according to certain parameters. Since the PS4 has specs similar to a PC, dungeons can be generated like this thanks to its memory capacity and computing speed.
  • The light bar on the DualShock 4 will represent the emotions of the dungeon being played. When a Raven listens to the voice of the past, it will come from the speaker on the controller, in order to increase immersion. The touchpad will also be used for tactile features.
  • The team is also thinking on how to use smartphone and tablets.
Can anyone confirm if any of these points have a source somewhere else?

They have also definitely added in a lot of stuff not in the video. The mentioning of MonHun or Dragon's Dogma, etc.
All he said about the game's premise is:
There's a group called "Ravens" where people with special abilities (or ability?) gather. They travel from 2094 in New York to some unknown era and place. To go "read" that era, to go see what that era is like. Then, from the various information obtained there, they learn what the truth is. Why a group like this one gathered, why they are doing something like this. This progression, which will be done not just on your own (solo) but with everyone else through multiplayer, is what we mean when we say it's a "(memory) reading rpg".
So a lot of the first two points didn't come from this video. Was that information released somewhere else? I don't follow much so I assume that it was. Still weird that they chose to add it in to a "summary" of the video though.

Another interesting thing near the end:
It's not just a completely online game. Of course, you can play solo as well. So for the people who think that "the threshold for online games is still too high" can play solo first and when they've gotten used to it, they can join the other members of "Raven" and play. We've prepared dungeons for when it's two people going in, or when there's three people going in, etc.
Now whether this implies you can play offline, I do not know. It can still mean that you have to be online even when playing solo.

Perkel

Banned

In fact, there's quite a few pointers not from the video. He did praise the speed of calculations and the speed of the memory though, which is why he is glad they are doing it on the PS4.
Unless my Japanese is a lot worse than I thought, these are missing from the video:
  • There will be a beta after the release of the PS4, and Ono-san wants it to begin as soon as possible.
  • Sony has created an easy development environment for the PS4, and that’s a welcome change.
  • The quality showcased in the PlayStation Meeting in February was reached considerably quickly, and things like 60 frames per seconds are relatively easy to achieve.
  • The automatic generation of dungeons is achieved thanks to the power of the PS4. It’s not completely random, but automatically generated according to certain parameters. Since the PS4 has specs similar to a PC, dungeons can be generated like this thanks to its memory capacity and computing speed.
  • The light bar on the DualShock 4 will represent the emotions of the dungeon being played. When a Raven listens to the voice of the past, it will come from the speaker on the controller, in order to increase immersion. The touchpad will also be used for tactile features.
  • Remote play with PS Vita will be fully supported in order to play the game more comfortably. The team is also thinking on how to use smartphone and tablets.

They have also definitely added in a lot of stuff not in the video. The mentioning of MonHun or Dragon's Dogma, etc.

So a lot of the first two points didn't come from this video. Was that information released somewhere else? I don't follow much so I assume that it was. Still weird that they chose to add it in to a "summary" of the video though.

Now whether this implies you can play offline, I do not know. It can still mean that you have to be online even when playing solo.

THANK YOU ANKO.

We should remove few things from OP and change a little bit Thread title.

Chobel

• The team is also thinking on how to use smartphone and tablets.

Was busy with that EDGE article thread, I will add your comment to the OP.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
What people don't understand is that 60 fps can be reached, it just takes too much time to optimize the software and coding to reach that level, which is also due to the hardware. Programmers and software designers know how to reach 60 fps on consoles, just takes too much manpower to optimize it!

Horp

Downgrade, cocky words, 720p screenshots.
Im still hyped as hell for this. Will be an awesome coop game i think.

Top Bottom