• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can now play Oculus-exclusive Games on a Vive (Alpha)

jediyoshi

I am not quite sure about that. Last month Palmer implied that only Valve would win if Vive users could access Oculus Home.

I could actually either see that Oculus Home will support the Vive naturally or that SDK 1.4 will fix the workaround.

He's also explicitly said it's out of his hands what users do with Oculus software as far as getting it to run on other headsets.

So is there a reset orientation like on dk1/2 titles or is it per title basis? Lucky's Tale was back button on 360 controller, Technolust doesn't seem to have one unless it's on kb, if so anyone know what key? I'm a bloody ghost a couple feet off the ground rn :p

Happy I can play it all though but dealing with weird input problems with the gamepad, can barely move forwards and unless there's an alternate method for movement it seems you can only move forward one little jump at a time and I'm having to spam my thumbstick cause it doesn't recognize my input half the time. FYI I ran into this issue on a prior build on the dk2 just before release too so don't think it's an issue exclusive to Vive. Lucky's Tale works a treat on all counts.

Hm, that's a really good point actually.

What happens when you push the Xbox button on your controller? For the Rift it brings up a Rift system UI and there's a button for Reset Orientation which is the most common way to do that (so Oculus doesn't use a button on the gamepad but instead leave all the buttons for the devs). There's definitely some Rift games where the system UI is the only way to reset orientation. Might be worth adding a Github issue for that.

CamHostage

I assume this also let me buy Oculus games? I tried to get into the Rift store to see what's actually available for the thing, but even by downloading/installing the software kit, I couldn't access the Shop since it asked for a hardware check before installing the full suite.

For Technolust, hit B to turn off Cloudstep, which is where you move forward in instant steps rather than smooth acceleration. Currently you can't turn smoothly in Technolust, but supposedly will be added in a future update (it's a one man project and he was very concerned about simsickness concerns initially).

Yeah this didn't work for me unfortunately, I am using a third party 360 controller but doubt that would cause any issues when it's worked fine with everything else.

I assume this also let me buy Oculus games? I tried to get into the Rift store to see what's actually available for the thing, but even by downloading/installing the software kit, I couldn't access the Shop.

What did it say? You absolutely do not need a Rift to use the desktop software. I purchased and downloaded all of my games before I even got my Rift so I would be ready day one.

The only thing I can think is that maybe you didn't see the Skip button for the Rift hardware setup?

I assume this also let me buy Oculus games? I tried to get into the Rift store to see what's actually available for the thing, but even by downloading/installing the software kit, I couldn't access the Shop since it asked for a hardware check before installing the full suite.

Hm?

You can access the shop by downloading the Oculus Software. I dont have any HMD, but have the software installed.

Is this illegal?

No.

You still need to purchase the games. This is not piracy at all. Lucky's Tale and some Oculus experiences are free though which is how everyone is able to access those (Oculus doesn't do anything to restrict them to Rift only -- it's just free if you create an Oculus account and you can get them in the store).

*Edit* BTW, Oculus has expressed desire to support Vive in their store. If people are giving Oculus money for the games and modifying them on their own, that's a win for Oculus. The market is so small that you benefit more by making it available to as many people as possible in order for the devs to make a living, plus Oculus doesn't make much money on hardware.

Oculus is not blocking Vive, they just aren't supporting it right now (which is a key distinction as one of those is done out of malice). Considering how stretched it feels they are in terms of engineering resources (you can only install to C: for example) they'll probably get around to this at some point and figure out how they can make it work with their SDK. As long as HTC and Valve would be okay with their headset being able to be run outside of Steam of course because that's naturally where those companies make their money (and why they made OpenVR -- they make their lion's share of money from Steam not from the Vive itself).

Hm, that's a really good point actually.

What happens when you push the Xbox button on your controller? For the Rift it brings up a Rift system UI and there's a button for Reset Orientation which is the most common way to do that (so Oculus doesn't use a button on the gamepad but instead leave all the buttons for the devs). There's definitely some Rift games where the system UI is the only way to reset orientation. Might be worth adding a Github issue for that.

It opens SteamVR lol. Yeah guess I'll throw something on github on it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I think this will also work with the Steam version of Project Cars. I'm trying it out in a sec.

Are you running Windows 10? I posted that it doesn't work for me, and the dev hasn't tested in Windows 7 yet (which I am running, and neither hack works)

x3sphere

got it working, but Lucky's Tale is running at 60 Hz instead of 90. Anyone else run into this?

Edit: running the game exe directly instead of launching through Steam fixed this

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Which one should work with Project CARS?

I played a bit with Lucky's Tale. It's a cute platformer and the perception of space and depth works great for the jumps, but not amazing. It looks nice. I will play some more levels in the next days, maybe it gets good also as a platformer, who knows.

notaskwid

Reminder: Were these UWP games, this would not be possible.

So far... I'm sitting here waiting for //build/
readImage

jack....

Sweet. I bought a couple of games on Oculus home before I decided to sell my Rift and buy a Vive. Glad it won't be a total waste of money.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So is there a reset orientation like on dk1/2 titles or is it per title basis? Lucky's Tale was back button on 360 controller, Technolust doesn't seem to have one unless it's on kb, if so anyone know what key? I'm a bloody ghost a couple feet off the ground rn :p

Happy I can play it all though but dealing with weird input problems with the gamepad, can barely move forwards and unless there's an alternate method for movement it seems you can only move forward one little jump at a time and I'm having to spam my thumbstick cause it doesn't recognize my input half the time. FYI I ran into this issue on a prior build on the dk2 just before release too so don't think it's an issue exclusive to Vive. Lucky's Tale works a treat on all counts.

How did you get Technolust to work? I'm having the "shows on monitor and not in headset" problem you were having...

Lemonte

I got lucky's tail working but Lucky auto runs right all the time. I'm using xbox360 gamepad and custom drivers which give more settings. Never had any issues in other games.

Also camera movement makes me feeling little nausea.

How did you get Technolust to work? I'm having the "shows on monitor and not in headset" problem you were having...

So I sent the contents of the plugins folder from the Lucky's Tale injector to the Technolust plugins, and the other files in the zip to the front end install folder with the exe. Went back to Oculus Home and turned off outside sources, turned it on again, restarted, made sure SteamVR was running, also had Oculus Home running and then launched it. You may need Home running for it to work though not certain on that. It works but I can't really play it well, the incremental movement control scheme is really wonky and it doesn't appear you can use regular fluid movement unless you use awsd. Also I couldn't get myself re-centered and not be floating about three feet off the ground in the starting apartment lol. If you happen to get it to show on the Vive and figure a way to at least center on the ground let me know cause rn it's not very playable imo.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Damn. If they can get this working an Oculus doesn't shut it down, I may just cancel my rift, since it was delayed until May/June and my Vive supposedly will ship in May.

fwiw, I know someone mentioned performance issues after act 1. I sailed to act 4 with no framerate drops that I ever noticed.

AcglYBv.png
24023N2.png

completely lost track of time. took the headset off and I had spent 3 or 4 hours in this game. It's a really polished game and VR does add something nice to it.

I wonder if this technique could fix Elite Dangerous before FDev bothers to...

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
A couple of articles have gone up about this:
http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/13/11425952/rift-exclusive-games-running-on-vive-steam-vr
http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/14/11429436/oculus-rift-games-on-htc-vive-revive

The Verge said:
Our colleague at Polygon, Ben Kuchera, tested the system — named Revive on GitHub — and said it works just fine. In fact, Kuchera notes that the port of Dreamdeck (a VR demo sampler that shows off varying animation styles) is actually better on the Vive, as the headset's enhanced tracking functionality allows you to actually walk around the scenes. "The Vive's chaperone system, which shows you the limits of your play space, also works just fine on the Rift titles," writes Kuchera. "They seem to run nearly as well as native Vive titles in our testing."

tr00per

Noooice! I would ask how likely it is that oculus will try to snuff this out but then again, the people who will benefit from this are smart enough to keep it available

Is this illegal?

You have to buy the game to play it, so no. People modify their own products all the time.

If you pirate a game, yeah, that's illegal.

Possibly - it depends on how the tool was written. Oculus' SDK comes with a license agreement that states you cannot use it with another headset, so if the tool was written using Oculus' official SDK, then yes, it's illegal.

Grey area since they have a headset protection fort just the rift and this is bypassed. Especially since anyone can dload luckys tale for free if you dload the oculus software. But on the other hand Palmer said that the games can be modded to play on other headsets so Im not sure. Lets see oculus response on this before going further.

What's the legality of this (not that I expect anyone to take legal action). Just curious.

Seeing that its in the media and also palmer said games could be modded. Legally its fine Oculus probably should have had some codes to go with their free games. But origin and other companies sometimes offer free games to get you to go to their store front. So maybe this is goodwill to using their store front. This whole vr thing is the wild west of gaming atm in many facets.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Maybe I'm being naive but how do you download Oculus games without a Rift? Will Oculus Home block you from creating an account or launching the store? If not, couldn't Oculus block this by doing so

Maybe I'm being naive but how do you download Oculus games without a Rift? Will Oculus Home block you from creating an account or launching the store? If not, couldn't Oculus block this by doing so

They have a desktop app you can download. Onboarding let's you skip the headset setup and go to the store.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

When installing their software, you can skip the setup steps and continue through to account creation and purchasing/activating and downloading the games.

Zalusithix

Worth cross posting this information into this thread:
Ars Technica said:
Update, 4/14 3:05 p.m. EDT: Oculus has since reached out to Ars Technica with a response to our report: "This is a hack, and we don’t condone it. Users should expect that hacked games won’t work indefinitely, as regular software updates to games, apps, and our platform are likely to break hacked software."

Top Bottom