• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You know longer need an invite to preorder the PSVR2 headset directly from Sony.

Crayon

And what master list of awesome games are there justifying a PSVR2 for $550 US (more like $750 CDN)? The set isn't even BC with PSVR1 games to fill the gap with backlog games unless devs do free updates.

What's this master list of any launching console? PS5 and xb launched with the full true bc library from the previous gen which is bout good as it's ever been of you count that. Not very exciting, tho.

Counting actual worthwhile releases (and I'm not discounting cross gen games on anything because they do show significant upgrades and are legitimate reason to buy in), the psvr2 lineup is good. Demons souls, sackboy, astrobot, wrc9, spiderman & miles. Pretty strong for launch. Waking dead 2, re4 & 8, nms, horizon is pretty good too. Especially for one with such a smaller audience.

midnightAI

Just buy a meta quest 2 or hold out for 3 or if you have a pc get a good headset you can hook up to steam and have infinitely more games and more importantly Half Life Alyx. The must have vr experience?
Yeh, you can definitely play the PlayStation first party/exclusives on Quest 2 and 3 so no worries there because Quest will definitely work when plugged into a PS5

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Yeh, you can definitely play the PlayStation first party/exclusives on Quest 2 and 3 so no worries there because Quest will definitely work when plugged into a PS5
does the PSVR2 work when plugged into a PC though? and will it support all the features that it would on PS5?

What's your source because the common consensus is that the reference a seated cockpit provides helps comfort.
It's basically tricking the brain in believing that you are inside a car, but when you drive your entire body has a lot of physical interaction that are absent while playing. This cause a very hard sickness in most people. I know that seems counterintuitive but is generally is more comfortable playing VR racing games with an outside cockpit camera

midnightAI

does the PSVR2 work when plugged into a PC though? and will it support all the features that it would on PS5?
Doubtful, well, not officially supported at least for a good while anyway. Why would they? Sony wants to sell PSVR 2 to PS5 owners/increase PS5 sales and increase game sales and subs. They wont be making much (if any) money on PSVR 2 sales, just like PS5 sales, so their games sales and subs are important.

I really want VR to be good - have since I was a kid - but I have zero excitement for this. Seems like very few people are interested, and to me it’s telling that something I have dreamt of forever is not even tempting me the tiniest bit. And I buy pretty much everything games hardware related, just so I don’t miss out. I don’t feel like there’s any chance I’ll miss out on anything good by not buying this.

The tech isn’t there, the games aren’t there, and a pricey PlayStation add on device just seems doomed to be DOA (like the last one).

I applaud them for trying though.

tommib

Because no one wants one.
Season 8 Francis GIF by Showtime

I just don’t want anything Horizon in it. I already felt dirty playing the Horizon games now imagine in VR. It would break me. God I hate that universe.

that doesn't sound good. can't be high enough demand for it.

sorry but it's a tough sell. in this financial climate.... £480 for a PS5 and £530 for a headset with a couple decent games? no thanks lol.

as much as i hate Facebook i think their headset offers better value. seriously i fucking hate Facebook so me giving them any positivity is very rare.

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

It differs from person to person but it’s true for me, I can do any kind of VR motion (even the standard walk that people find so disorienting) but racing makes me sick within seconds.

I could never do any racing with my Rift S.
Curious if the racing games you tried had drifting? Thinking it was a side sliding motion or the camera was swinging out to the sides during turns. Maybe try a simpler game. Automobilista 2 doesn't give me any issues, GL.

Since its specs are on par or better (OLED, HDR, Eye tracker that alone costs 250$ on Amazon, that even the costlier VR headsets don't match in quality) than those headsets costing 1000 - 1500 dollars, I would say that it's more than enought subsidized. Its specs are the best possible compromise to have high quality, relatively future proof duration, and relatively low price. Would you use LCD screens? Discard HDR? Lower screen resolution and go back within screendoor threshold perception? For what? To lower the price of maybe 150 dollars, for a peripheral that it's made to last for an entire generation? Or discard eye tracking losing foveated rendering, going back to have a graphical quality one generation behind the current one?
To me, its features are exactly the best possible one I have wished for it to be. Aside the lack of a hand band on the controllers to fast it to the palm. Ugh... why not put it? Now I will be forced to keep grabbing the controllers without the chance to relax the hand from time to time. I think I will add something on my own...
Agree you are getting a lot of tech for the price but the value depends on if Sony expects you to replace the entire setup - including software - when the PS6 comes out like they're doing right now to all the customers that bought PSVR 1.

I was expecting excitement for this announcement, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

As an owner of the PSVR, a fan of VR in general, and someone who sees myself a future PSVR2 owner - how is this surprising in the least? It’s $550 and has next to no library. Anyone super into early adoption probably signed up and preordered. I wouldn’t expect a ton of excitement. If you told me Half-Life: Alyx and a new Astro Bot game were there on launch day, maybe I could see the hype.

RavageX

Just buy a meta quest 2 or hold out for 3 or if you have a pc get a good headset you can hook up to steam and have infinitely more games and more importantly Half Life Alyx. The must have vr experience?
A game that im not interested in and a bunch of mobile games.

RavageX

What if I told you.... with the PSVR2 all first party ps5 games are turned into being vr compatible when you hook the headset up?

This is made reality through some magical shit.

Reallink

As an owner of the PSVR, a fan of VR in general, and someone who sees myself a future PSVR2 owner - how is this surprising in the least? It’s $550 and has next to no library. Anyone super into early adoption probably signed up and preordered. I wouldn’t expect a ton of excitement. If you told me Half-Life: Alyx and a new Astro Bot game were there on launch day, maybe I could see the hype.

Yeah their too cool to hold a showcase PS5 strategy of not revealing future titles is going to bite them in the ass with VR. As it stands we have to assume there's nothing but 3 year old ports, some unspecified Resident Evil modes, and a B-Team Horizon spinoff coming for the life of PSVR2. Certainly insufficient to ask people to drop $600 sight unseen.

Last edited:

Markio128

The cost is a tough ask, but the damn thing is so cool looking that I know I’ll end up pre-ordering it soon. Considering my only experience of VR is with the original PSVR, I have a feeling that the PSVR2 will blow my tiny little mind. I’m already imagining how awesome NMS VR will be to play.

The tech is amazing esp if they can create a belt buckle wireless adapter one day but the ask is a lot. I think it will sell decently to the hard core then the sales will drop off a cliff HARD. Highly highly doubtful this is scalpable. I will jump in if/when this becomes pc compatible or the price drops a $100 Cdn. Until then I'll be ok with my Quest 2/psvr1 combo since most VR games are like arcade style pick up and play or glorified demos.

It should be the easiest game for them to patch for VR nearly every pc cockpit sim gets VR support, hell microsoft put VR support in flight sim and they don't even have VR for their consoles. If they don't have GT updated for VR at release I question just how committed they are with VR.

Flight Sim is a PC franchise traditionally though,

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
A game that im not interested in and a bunch of mobile games.

Exactly, the PSVR 2 is not worth it right now for that reason. ^^^

But each to their own. I will pick one up in a year or two when the price drop happens.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I prebooked one but I doubt now I will buy it. Things are just costing more all around a psvr is low on the priority list. You might be looking at a price drop sooner than later if Sony wants to sell these at a great volume.....

Chukhopops

Curious if the racing games you tried had drifting? Thinking it was a side sliding motion or the camera was swinging out to the sides during turns. Maybe try a simpler game. Automobilista 2 doesn't give me any issues, GL.
I didn’t even have time to drift, even in a straight line I felt sick instantly. My understanding is that the inner ear is supposed to feel a motion matching what your eyes are seeing, otherwise you feel motion sickness instantly. It’s the same as getting sick inside a real car when you’re a passenger and don’t watch the road.

It was specific to driving since I had no issue with Star Wars Squadron (great VR game btw).
The tech is amazing esp if they can create a belt buckle wireless adapter one day but the ask is a lot. I think it will sell decently to the hard core then the sales will drop off a cliff HARD. Highly highly doubtful this is scalpable. I will jump in if/when this becomes pc compatible or the price drops a $100 Cdn. Until then I'll be ok with my Quest 2/psvr1 combo since most VR games are like arcade style pick up and play or glorified demos.
The issue to me is that standalone VR is just a more attractive proposal, easier to set up, cheaper, access to way more games, access to other core VR applications, etc. Sometimes I want to use my Rift S and simply don’t do it because it’s faster to launch a normal game.

Better performance makes no difference to me when the best VR games are very simple technically (Sprint Vector, Windlands 2, To the Top and Pistol Whip) with the exception of HL:Alyx which isn’t on PSVR2.

Doubtful, well, not officially supported at least for a good while anyway. Why would they?
Because some people want this rather expensive peripheral stuff only if it is not locked into one platform, limiting its use.
I bought a wheel for PS3 and PC (and an arcade stick that also could be switched to 360), bad luck that Sony decided that PS3 and PS4 are not the same, even if USB still fits, but at the time I got compatibility and I used it on both, would not have bought it, just for one.
Same with VR2. VR1 was alright for what it was, an experiment I wanted to properly try and support the potential, VR2 now has to deliver, but seems to have again lackluster game support, so adding PC support, Oculus, Vive whatever compatibility, would actually be the only reason I would consider one right now.

midnightAI

Because some people want this rather expensive peripheral stuff only if it is not locked into one platform, limiting its use.
Ok, cool, how does that benefit Sony exactly? Sony want you locked to one platform, the PlayStation platform, like how Microsoft want you locked to the XBox platform, or Nintendo locking you into their platform. These are businesses, they are not your friends doing you favours, making PSVR 2 PC compatible wouldn't make financial sense for Sony.

And are you really saying it has lackluster game support before the thing is even released? I keep hearing this and its just weird to me, we dont know either way how much Sony are going to support PSVR 2, what we do know is that many Quest/PC VR titles will be ported by the looks of things so far, and that Sony have stated several times, that going forward they would like to create hybrid games, games that you can play fully in flat screen or VR (or at least have a VR mode), like Resident Evil 7.

I just cancelled my Nov 15 preorder , the price didn't bother me but I couldn't get past the lack of backwards compatibility for at least the Sony owned PSVR1 titles.

I foolishly thought they would still announce some of their games being compatible even after saying there would not be, afterall Sony just spent the last two years touting backwards compatibility with the PS4 and now they just ignore it all on the PSVR1 games. I don't intend on keeping both the PSVR1 & PSVR2 headsets so I'll just keep the one I own games for.

I have no doubt that Sony intends on releasing all of their PSVR1 games as PSVR2 (at some point) , they will just want you to buy it again. I should have learned my lesson after the Vita..

midnightAI

I just cancelled my Nov 15 preorder , the price didn't bother me but I couldn't get past the lack of backwards compatibility for at least the Sony owned PSVR1 titles.

I foolishly thought they would still announce some of their games being compatible even after saying there would not be, afterall Sony just spent the last two years touting backwards compatibility with the PS4 and now they just ignore it all on the PSVR1 games. I don't intend on keeping both the PSVR1 & PSVR2 headsets so I'll just keep the one I own games for.

I have no doubt that Sony intends on releasing all of their PSVR1 games as PSVR2 (at some point) , they will just want you to buy it again. I should have learned my lesson after the Vita..
Lots of presumptions in this post....

PSVR 1 games arent compatible, several reasons for that: tracking is completely different as it uses inside out tracking via the cameras on the PSVR 2 headset, controllers are different again because of tracking but also button layout and number of buttons (amazing news as Move controllers are shit, also joysticks on new controllers), in game help/UI/Setup as most old PSVR 1 games had setup which included the move controllers on screen or positioning the headset on the play area using the cameras.

Several games already announced to be getting upgrades, other than Moss book 1 and 2 which have had major upgrades, all others are free upgrades. We dont know the full extent of what will be getting upgrades/updates or not so pointless complaining about it until we know otherwise but lots of developers have said their games will be getting upgrades/updates.

Anyway, my whole post is irrelevant as you have already cancelled it, seems a bit early to cancel if you ask me (at least wait until early Feb to see if we get a PSVR 2 showcase/State of Play/other PSVR 2 announcements), but your choice

Lots of presumptions in this post....

PSVR 1 games arent compatible, several reasons for that: tracking is completely different as it uses inside out tracking via the cameras on the PSVR 2 headset, controllers are different again because of tracking but also button layout and number of buttons (amazing news as Move controllers are shit, also joysticks on new controllers), in game help/UI/Setup as most old PSVR 1 games had setup which included the move controllers on screen or positioning the headset on the play area using the cameras.

Several games already announced to be getting upgrades, other than Moss book 1 and 2 which have had major upgrades, all others are free upgrades. We dont know the full extent of what will be getting upgrades/updates or not so pointless complaining about it until we know otherwise but lots of developers have said their games will be getting upgrades/updates.

Anyway, my whole post is irrelevant as you have already cancelled it, seems a bit early to cancel if you ask me (at least wait until early Feb to see if we get a PSVR 2 showcase/State of Play/other PSVR 2 announcements), but your choice

Third party vendors can choose to make their game compatible or not and I understand that Sony can't do anything about that but at the least Sony can do is choose to make their own PSVR1 games compatible and today that number is 0.

I was going to wait until Janurary to decide but seeing that there are still units out there to order I found it wasn't worth holding the preorder , that may change and they may all dry up by february but I don't really care at this point I'll hold off a year and then decide, it may be better. I bought the PSVR1 at launch and the 2nd revision turned out to be a better build.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Eh, i was interested, but then i saw the launch line up. Maybe ill get one in a few years. Im saving my money in 2023 for the next nintendo, a house, and (hopefully) a pretty beefy pc

As someone who abandoned PSVR1, I think the launch window lineup is pretty fantastic myself.

I’ll be playing better looking and controlling versions of some excellent games I missed out on

Probably won't hit the 10 million some people thought, but Sony did say they were making 2 million headsets ready for launch so they already had plenty of stock for everyone.

They probably did the invites to stop the scalpers, and dropped it when the signs were clear.

Last edited:
if it sells 2 million at launch and continues to get support I think 10M+ is achievable

I really think Sony should aim for at least a handful of killer apps that get a big proper budget

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I’m holding off buying another VR headset because I want to see how good this is. I fully expect a premium experience.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
My man is seriously out here calling graphics like these "wii graphics"....

never change slimysnake
huh?

Maybe if they had games that didnt look like shovelware releasing at launch there wouldve been more excitement. whats the point of 4k screens, oled, fucking eye tracking and hdr if the game look like Wii shovelware?

Everything should look like Horizon minimum. You are trying to get to ready player one graphics. if you cant get there, dont bother.
I am clearly talking about the other shovelware games they are releasing alongside Horizon.

if it sells 2 million at launch

You keep getting confused about this they produced 2 million to have ready at retailers for the long term, they aren't going to sell 2 million at launch. Not only is that not possible but a logistics issue because Sony is working to get 2 million produced now, if it's gone at launch than Sony is going to put themselves in trouble.

It is more likely Sony may sell a few hundreds thousands at launch and the rest of the stock will slowly be brought as they change their production schedule accordingly.

Beechos

Theres already a blueprint for vr success. The quest got the price and the wireless right. All sony had to do was release something in that price range, connect to ps5 via wifi6, let the ps5 do all the processing work. People wouldve went nuts. At this price its doa for any mass adoption which is sad since vr is the real next gen of gaming.

You keep getting confused about this they produced 2 million to have ready at retailers for the long term, they aren't going to sell 2 million at launch. Not only is that not possible but a logistics issue because Sony is working to get 2 million produced now, if it's gone at launch than Sony is going to put themselves in trouble.

It is more likely Sony may sell a few hundreds thousands at launch and the rest of the stock will slowly be brought as they change their production schedule accordingly.

I think it'll sell 2 million over the launch and a few months thereafter. They will obviously continue to build more in preparation for post-launch.

A few hundred thousand for launch is incredibly low.

I would be shocked if they even sell a million of these at launch. The VR niche is tiny compared to overall owners. Couple that with a higher than the console price in a bad economy and you are just left with the VR Sony enthusiast which is a very low number based on PSVR1 headsets sold (most of which when VR was a big thing that was over hyped). I would do an avatar bet they will sell under a million headset units the first 6 months.

Last edited:
I think it'll sell 2 million over the launch and a few months thereafter. They will obviously continue to build more in preparation for post-launch.

A few hundred thousand for launch is incredibly low.

No VR headset has sold more than several hundred thousand at launch. I don't recall Quest 2 selling 2 million in launch month.

Top Bottom