• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite action hero this side of the century?

TissueBox

For me it's probably Matt's Jason Bourne. Mysterious, ridiculously adaptable, and an inhumanly resilient combatant, his story and journey of self-discovery is something that is executed well I think, even if unoriginally, making way for a well-splayed dance of character and tension. Along with some of modern blockbusters' more vivid action on screen these days, and also being able to refrain from reaching a Taken 3-level low point, Bourne and his unrelenting chase had my heart pretty swiftly. ^^'

Fat4all

Banned
Neil Breen

anigif_enhanced-25296-1391202944-23.gif

he's simply unstoppable

TissueBox

John Wick probably although I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton

does it have to be part of a franchise or just a one-off?

A one-off is fine long as it was a bona fide action flick, I s'pose, particularly so if there isn't any franchise just 'yet' -- though if there is a strong classic style leading man/woman, and a memorable film in there, then why not. ^^'

After finally getting around to watching John Wick after all the praise, I found it to be mediocre. Not even enjoyable as a guilty pleasure. I was expecting some SHOOT EM UP style over the top action. But it was this middle of the road tedium instead.

Rama from The Raid
Ting/Kham from Ong Bak/Tom Yum Goong
John Wick

and I'll give a special shout out to the pairing of Scott Adkins and Isaac Florentine, who've made a bunch of wonderfully entertaining films together on the lower budget end of the action movie spectrum. They've made most of the best direct to video/streaming action films (John Hyams has the rest, but I digress) to come out over the last decade or so. Buts lets narrow it down to Casey Bowman, the white-guy ninja from Ninja and Ninja: Shadow of a Tear. Which are both pretty great, and feature goons getting super-kicked every several minutes or so.

tumblr_oo7khf6kSZ1rmrpdmo1_400.gif

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
After finally getting around to watching John Wick after all the praise, I found it to be mediocre. Not even enjoyable as a guilty pleasure. I was expecting some SHOOT EM UP style over the top action. But it was this middle of the road tedium instead.

tenor.gif

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Have to go with Furiosa, great character.

Agreed. It was just an okay movie to me, nothing more. Maybe the sequel is a lot better, but the original didn't really impress me.

Apt101

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. What a long great ride he gave the character.
X-23 turning his cross into a X on his grave was such a great send off.

What's that GIF from?
What makes John Wick's action great is that it isn't Shoot Em Up-style over the top action

It's still over the top and stylized but it's with the sense (especially in 2) that Wick is an unstoppable one-man army because of a relatively realistic level of training, precision, and skill. He's the inverse-Shoot Em Up; just as unstoppable but with a style that's lean, technical, and focused. Case in point, always going for headshots, the tactical reloads, and using judo and jujutsu maneuvers

B4D1E

Scott adkins is a beast. Even if his movies are low budget, the choregraphies are generally great.

But my favorite action hero is Jack Bauer. I don't know why, but 24 clicks with me.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
A lot of the top picks already mentioned, but I'll give a nod to Chris Evans as Steve Rogers, who, in a single film, made me care more about the character than 35 years of reading Marvel comics did.

Bane, the people's champion. He took Gotham from the corrupt! The oppressors of generations who have kept people down with myths of opportunity.

Endo Punk

Really like Scott Adkins. Undisputed 3 & 4, Ninja 2 and Hard Target 2 are great action films, the kind the 90's delivered in spades.

tumblr_oo7khf6kSZ1rmrpdmo1_400.gif

Edit: oh you want names. Boyka!

Mr. Sam

Dude, I am 10,000% with you.

As for the guy from The Raid, he's not really a compelling hero. He knows a lot of really impressive kung fu, sure, but he's not really very interesting in and of himself.

It's a toss-up between The Bridge and FURIOH-SAH! for me.

And just to give a second shout-out to Chev Chelios. More people should watch Crank.

Top Bottom