• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Favorite Gaming Peripheral Company

What's your favorite gaming peripheral company? Do you have brand loyalty to a specific one?

I'm talking mostly in terms of pc gaming, but it can apply to consoles as well. I used to be a big Logitech guy, I would buy all logitech gear- keyboard, mouse, headset, etc. For whatever reason I've sort of moved away from them in recent years.

My current favorite is Corsair. They are really starting to make some nice gaming gear. Their keyboards are incredible, I have a K70 with red switches and it's probably the best accessory I've ever bought. I also used a m65 pro mouse from Corsair and it was great. They seem to prioritize build quality, using brushed aluminum parts among other things. They make probably the most elegant peripherals on the market.

Also love the hyperx cloud 2, so Kingston gets a nod also, although they aren't really know for accessories other than headsets.

I've never bought razer and don't intend to. Everything looks awful and gamery, and I've heard about quality issues.

What's your favorite?

mkenyon

Banned
It's silly to put loyalty with a single company like that.

They all make some good things, they all make some complete shit. Very frequently, their stuff is made by the same companies in China, but just with different aesthetics or logos.

lazygecko

STD.

1. Their name is fucking STD.

2. They made this monstrosity/beauty

tumblr_most39rwll1rkraqs5v.jpg

They all make some good things, they all make some complete shit. Very frequently, their stuff is made by the same companies in China, but just with different aesthetics or logos.

Agreed. Right now I've got a corsair keyboard, Kingston headset and logitech mouse (though I swap in a corsair mouse sometimes )

I could see brand loyalty though if you are rocking rgb and want to sync them all up in software.

Dunkley

STD.

1. Their name is fucking STD.

2. They made this monstrosity/beauty

Not sure how I feel about their slogan being "We can help you win".

Definite agree, I mean even PDP itself really surprised me with their Gamecube shaped Classic Controller.

That stuff still works even after more than a year of extensive use for Smash Bros even though you'd expect it not to even last you a month given how crap their other peripherals are.

soundpross

Neo Member
I agree with corsair i have a similar set up with the k70 but with the m95 mouse. Tho i bought a razer headset cause it was on sale, not really a big fan of them shoulda bought the rgb mouse pad LOL.

I go with Logitech mice. Bought a Razer once, it broke soon after. Took it as a sign.

Hori for game console and portable peripherals.

Saitek (at least pre-MadCatz), mostly because I would have skipped entire genre of flight sims without their sticks.

My Cyborg 3D Gold was awesome, lasted a decade or even more, and survived a fall of a CRT monitor onto it.

mkenyon

Banned
Corsair or Hori. Both are great.
Corsair has the absolute worst firmware and software in the business. The sensors they use in their high end mice are typically shitty laser sensors. Their headsets are grossly overpriced.

They do make some good products, I use the K65 and K65 RGB myself. I tried using the Scimitar for a few MMOs, but the software was so awful that I ended up going back to a Logi mouse.

The Katar is a quality product too.

This is what I'm saying though. People buy in to brand loyalty because they bought a product and it seemed to be pretty good. Corsair does make good stuff but they make a lot of awful stuff. The gaming peripheral industry is rife with this hit-and-miss designing. Everyone makes garbage, and the good stuff is far more rare.
Zowie make the best PC peripherals by far. I feel bad for people using Logitech/Razer mice.
See, this is equally silly, because Zowie and Logi use a lot of the same sensors in the quality gaming mice. In some respects, Logi's recent mice are actually better. In the end it comes down to shape preference, and has nothing to do with quality.

Corsair has the absolute worst firmware and software in the business. The sensors they use in their high end mice are typically shitty laser sensors. Their headsets are grossly overpriced.

Their newest mice are optical with the 3360 sensor, which people claim is the best. At least they are improving. I do agree their software is bad though, especially against logitech's which is really good.

e90Mark

I'm a fan of Corsair, I have a lot of their stuff. I don't use any of their headsets or mice because there are better alternatives out there, but anything else are good.

I have used a lot of their cases, AIOs, RAM, fans, keyboards, etc.

I'm also a big fan of Zowie. I use an EC2-A, and a GS-R pad, along with a Camade. I'm curious to try out a FinalMouse.

Not fucking Razer that's for sure.

Hori, Logitech, Corsair, Zowie are all solid mentions.

Not to knock the Cloud 2, but it is basically a rebranded Takstar Pro-80 with a mic attachment.

Right, but props to Kingston for partnering with a company that makes real headphones.

Alboreo

For console peripherals, it's definitely Hori. I love their fightsticks/pads and really don't use anything else unless it's custom built (which I can't afford, thus here we are).

For PC, I use a lot of Steelseries gear. Both my mouse and mechanical keyboard were made by them and have served me well for 3+ years thus far. To compare, I had used both Logitech and Razer prior: my logitech mouse lasted a long time but felt horrible in my hand (I have small hands), whereas my Razer Mouse/Keyboard were both dead within a year. So in that sense I have to go with Steelseries. They do make a lot of trash products, though, and I've moved away from "gaming peripherals" lately in favor of products that are just solid all-around.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Used to have a soft spot for Datel back in their Amiga days and the action replay cart for the A500.

Steelseries and Razer. Razer has my favorite mouse on the market with their Deathadder Chroma:

deathadder_chroma_gallery_4__store_gallery.png

and an excellent RGB mechanical keyboard in the Blackwidow Chroma:

razer-blackwidow-ultimate-gallery-02__store_gallery.png

Steelseries is solid all around and has the best wireless headset on the market with their Siberia 800:

410318-steelseries-h-wireless-headset.jpg

See, this is equally silly, because Zowie and Logi use a lot of the same sensors in the quality gaming mice. In some respects, Logi's recent mice are actually better. In the end it comes down to shape preference, and has nothing to do with quality.

Sensor is not the only thing that matters. If they both have good sensors, why wouldn't I want the one without a shitty meme design, without forced bloatware and without gimmicks? I don't need an infinite scroll wheel or a "sniper button" lol.

It's pretty telling when the only pro players who use Logitech mice are the ones sponsored by them, whereas most pros WANT to use Zowie products.

mkenyon

Banned
Sensor is not the only thing that matters. If they both have good sensors, why wouldn't I want the one without a shitty meme design, without forced bloatware and without gimmicks? I don't need an infinite scroll wheel or a "sniper button" lol.

It's pretty telling when the only pro players who use Logitech mice are the ones sponsored by them, whereas most pros WANT to use Zowie products.
Both the G303 and G302 are products that are highly sought after, with amazing specs, characteristics, and build quality. Plenty of pro gamers I know use that as their primary mouse, with no affiliation to Logitech.

Yeah, the G402 and G502 are silly products. But that's what I was saying, which is that all companies produce crap that's designed to catch people's eye when on the shelf at Best Buy/Frys/Microcenter.
see: the post above mine

Plenty of pro gamers also dislike some of the handling characteristics of Zowie products, especially anyone that transitions to claw at times, or uses claw exclusively. By no means am I saying that they make bad products, I'm just saying that there's plenty of other mice out there that are just as good, or can offer a different thing that Zowie doesn't capture. But there's also word that the Zowie has input lag at lower CPI levels, which drives away a lot of CPMA-type folk.

Again, I said, "In the end it comes down to shape preference, and has nothing to do with quality".

Yeah, the G402 and G502 are silly products. But that's what I was saying, which is that all companies produce crap that's designed to catch people's eye when on the shelf at Best Buy/Frys/Microcenter.

What's silly about the g502? It's probably the most popular gaming mouse on the market, I think it's fantastic. It does look gaudy and overly gamer esque, but it's still a fantastic mouse.

What's silly about the g502? It's probably the most popular gaming mouse on the market, I think it's fantastic. It does look gaudy and overly gamer esque, but it's still a fantastic mouse.

I like Hori. They make quality sticks and pads, and their accessories are nice, too.

For steering wheels I like Logitech and Thrustmaster. Both have served me well and the only problem I've had with one is the rubber coming off the wheel on the very old Ferrari FFB wheel.

I love my Steelseries keyboard and Logitech mouse. These are my go to brands when buying for other people or for myself.

Hori for consoles are unmatched in my opinion.

Hori made me great at Overwatch
hori-tactical-ps4-accessory.jpg

This amuses me to no end. People on console complain all the time about how unfair M/K would be against console users. But there's already tons of devices and USB hubs out there offsetting the balance. But if anything it just makes it so those people who do use it are rewarded even more.

Personally I saw bring on the cross-play and M/K support to consoles.

Baleoce

I have a Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid-i mech keyboard and a Logitech G502 mouse. Happy with both of them. They each have their faults. The backlights on the keyboard had to be replaced at one point. Did an RMA on it a year ago. And the one issue I have with the G502 is the mouse wheel. It's clunky and uncharacteristically flimsy compared to the rest of the mouse, which is solid. I tried out a Razer product a while back (the Orbweaver stealth), and returned it within a week. Not my cup of tea. Same with the Logitech G600 MMO Mouse. Just didn't get on with it at all. I'd say I'm willing to try out any manufacturers peripherals, and there's not much point in restricting yourself to just one.

parski

With mice I keep coming back to Logitech. I've used a lot of mice from other brands but the ones from Logitech always last me longer and leave me more content. My MX500 was my longest lasting mouse ever and I even like their newer models. Right now I'm on a G302 and I really like it. The springs make it very nice to click and of course the sensor is absolutely astonishing. It's a lot more ergonomic to grip than you would think by looking at it (I'm a palm grip guy) and I love that it's right handed. I've had a lot of ambidextrous mice and I always accidentally click the right side buttons by mistake causing all kinds of nonsense.

As for consoles I like Nintendo's first party accessories. I love the Wii zapper and mounting the Wiimote/nunchuck makes me feel like assembling and loading a rifle. Link's Crossbow Training is one of my favorite games on the Wii and it's the first peripheral that comes to mind.

phorrest

Neo Member
8bitdo hasn't made a ton of products yet, but they get my nod for developing quality retro products that nobody else is.

The SNES/SFC30 is a damn near perfect bluetooth reproduction of an SNES/SFC controller that has compatibility with iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, Wii, and the Retron 5. I've put hundreds of hours on mine with the Retron and it's still working perfectly and hasn't had any noticeable lag. I'm eagerly awaiting my SNES wireless receiver to get here from China so I can use this controller on an actual SNES.

8bitdo has also been showing off a bluetooth N64 controller that I am very excited for if they make a matching wireless receiver.

Top Bottom