• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Final thoughts on SFIV...

Nothing but fond memories. This is the game I've spent the most on with its DLC and various iterations. Also got me into the fighting game tournament scene (not really competing, but following).

Reading through the thread, I realized how universal the issues were. Lol...I'm now more confident SFV is going to be an amazing fighter for years to come.

As a Ken player, if I only played Ryu, Guiles, Sagat, Sims, or Giefs online SFIV would have been my favorite game of all time. But when you throw in elf and Ibuki and Viper, man, it just became something I didn't like. I think SFV so far, doesn't echo this, and I hope it never does.

pizzacat

Banned
This is surprising?

It played well. It had awesome mechanics. It was, and would be, full of fan favorites. It wasn't balanced, but lots of fighters aren't.

If people only wanted sequels of balanced fighters, nobody would want another vs. game.
I'm getting misunderstood too much ;_;

I like cvs2 but I thought that in this state and day people talked about wanting a sequel more than cvs 2 in general

Skilletor

I'm getting misunderstood too much ;_;

I like cvs2 but I thought that in this state and day people talked about wanting a sequel more than cvs 2 in general

I meant to put :p there. I think I know what you meant, but I think that's just because the only way to play it is on Dreamcast or PS2, unlike 3s which had its own re-release.

When I think of SFIV, it's hard not to immediately recall the bland training stage and that... music, although it's nothing compared to the many other aspects of the game that were phenomenal. Considering all of the popularity and tournament hype it's responsible for, it's possibly the greatest fighting game of all time.

Can you link to a match of a Remy playing long distance Guile style? Or any character playing long distance Dhalsim style? Maybe I've judged 3S wrong, who knows. I'm only going by experience.

I was actually just watching some matches with Pierrot (the aformention Remy player I forgot earlier)

I think his play style might be somewhat close of a traditional Guile since he doesn't rushdown.

As for Necro, I like watching Sugiyama because he rushes down (I prefer rushing down so that also might lend into my 3S preference. Necro doesn't really rely on Limb Abuse like Sim, matter in fact the only Sim like character that exists from what I know is Duo Lon, and he's not in SF lol.

Kelsdesu

As for Necro, I like watching Sugiyama because he rushes down (I prefer rushing down so that also might lend into my 3S preference. Necro doesn't really rely on Limb Abuse like Sim, matter in fact the only Sim like character that exists from what I know is Duo Lon, and he's not in SF lol.

There are glimmers of Necro attemptibg limb abuse, but without the inclusion of a fireball, why would you?

https://youtu.be/cZ-6kz5LyiI

WarpathDC

Vanilla SFIV was garbage IMO. By the time of its final iteration(s) it was magnificent. Garbage may be too strong of a sentiment for the initial release, it just didn't nail the sweet spot for me. I play Ultra on Steam still. I still suck at it unless it's a free steam weekend when fresh meat arrives.

For me it brought me into watching EVO etc and it's one of the only fighters IMO that I can really appreciate the deep, deep, deep fighting mechanics. Easy to play, hard to master like many fighters but it's one where the gap is close enough that while you know you can't (well me personally) be a pro at it, you can actually follow how the pros do what they do. I'm probably making zero sense it's just the feel of it and it 'clicking' for me around the appreciation of the timing, strategy etc of it all.

RS4-

Lol woah now, 3s doesn't have f9ghts outside of parry range.

What.

And 3s is dead outside of Japan. 3sOE is kinda crummy. Maybe if you're lucky, there's still a gathering for you locally. Cvs2 and alpha would still get tons of play if there was actually a way to play it online. Not going to mention 3s amd ggpo or whatever the pc one is. That's not a good option either.

It's aight. I liked how damn balanced it got at times (with such a huge roster!) and some great backgrounds. My main Dhalsim translated LOVINGLY to 4. Brushstroke art was a good idea.

The music has garbage-tier remixes, supers are basically an EX meter, Ultras were garish spectacackles that killed flow, the marketing early on was pure Player Bribery, the game has that recent problem of suffering from mitosis (tons of easy mechanics then a sheer cliff of JF, FADC, etc to grasp to get to upper echelons or even do some characters).

I think Capcom did a great job with 3SOE outside of the painful art (I think it was Artgerm) and those..... remixes.

3SOE would've been perfect if they added NG/2I Stage Packs and alternative characters like the Matching Service games.

Thank you.

Those poses...even Falcoon ain't that clumsy-looking.

There are glimmers of Necro attemptibg limb abuse, but without the inclusion of a fireball, why would you?

https://youtu.be/cZ-6kz5LyiI

Necro flummoxed me back in the day before I realized he's kind of a mid-ranger.

You know I never realized that camera follows the jumper in SFIV/V. I've always felt like something was off about jumping in that game and never realized till now.

I mean, there's tons to like about SF3. The spritework is one and Second Impact has a sublime soundtrack to boot. Third Strike's just doesn't even compare.
I feel it's the opposite regarding the soundtrack. The in-game music for vanilla SFIII + Second Impact felt flat and was awkward to listen to, which extended to its voice work and some sound effects, to the point it all came off as very off-putting for me. Third Strike's audio on the other hand had a consistent quality throughout.

I will say however that some of the AST mixes for the older SF III renditions are very much underrated.

None of this solves the problem that SFIII doen't play like an SF game. Necro and Remy, who are analogues of two SF mainstays, aren't nearly as viable as the rest of the cast who have to play up close and personal.

In essence, SFIII limits play styles and core SF zoning principles. Good game, but it's not SF.

Can you link to a match of a Remy playing long distance Guile style? Or any character playing long distance Dhalsim style? Maybe I've judged 3S wrong, who knows. I'm only going by experience.
For what it's worth, I don't think Necro was ever really meant as a direct replacement to Dhalsim. His design is much better suited to mid-range offense, as already evidenced by some of the previously linked match vids.

Remy however can certainly play a zoning game and Twelve is closer to fulfilling a niche similar to Dhalsim's (but not quite a carbon copy) in that both primarily aim to stifle their opponent's advances by constantly interrupted their flow from a longer distance, coupled with some elusive movement of their own.

For what it's worth, I don't think Necro was ever really meant as a direct replacement to Dhalsim. His design is much better suited to mid-range offense, as already evidenced by some of the previously linked match vids.

This was also one of the other things I was gonna mention earlier that I omitted from my response due to the possible tone. But before SFIII there was only SFII, and it's kinda flawed to assume that SFII and its roster defines SF overall. It's reasonable that those kinds of play that was featured in SFII is probably reasonable for SF2. I mean he was later featured in Alpha III and what not but that was with the decision to reference SF2 in a sense.

petran79

Banned
It's no coincidence SFIII is the first SF series to include a dash. This is why I compared it to a 3d fighter, it's very close-ranged and lacks the spacing and distance management that I enjoy out of 2d fighters. Even GG, despite being fucking GG, has lots of zoning and the ever elusive 2d fighter question of "how the fuck do I get in?" 3d fighters by virtue of 3d, rarely had fireballs. They're very up close and personal. They're mostly about evasion, side steps. small space whiffing. That's 3S to a tee. the 3d fighter in 2d skin comparison sticks.

With SFIII Capcom tried to borrow mechanics from the superior SNK games at that time, like KOF97 and Real Bout Fatal Fury. SFIII feels more like an SNK game, having easier inputs. Hence why Garou: Mark of the Wolves was far more popular than SFIII at that time, despite adding Just Defend and new generation of characters.

SkylineRKR

Bad SF entry.

I don't like its art direction, slow gameplay, focus, comeback mechanics. I bought Ultra on PS4 but realized I just don't like it.

Top Bottom