• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your most unpopular opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trace

Banned
Zelda games get a 10 point review boost by having the name "Zelda" and are worse in many respects than other games with lower review scores.

The Ark devs are the scummiest devs I've ever come across.

Canada is the greatest country on Earth.

I'm a fiscal conservative. I'm also mostly centrist on social issues. That would probably make 99% of my opinions on anything very unpopular on this forum.

Which is why I don't share my opinions here.

This is more of a secret of mine but... i'm all for equality of men and women in the workplace (salary, etc), that women decide NOT to have kids just because the society demands it (and, therefore, stop working) and I like that there are more women working too. But, at the end of the day, I wish I could find a nice girl that would want to be, first and foremost, a mother and a housewife. I live in a big city and all the women I dated
and even my current gf
see having kids as a defeat against the patriarchy and being a housewife as a gateway to depression and an empty life.
Ok, that opinion is unpopular in my small world (not the internet).
There are actually tons of women who want children and value family life over a career, you're probably not looking for them, but expecting to find them?

Weetrick

Horizon: Zero Dawn was massively overrated. It wasn't terrible, but the combat and story never clicked with me and I didn't even finish it.

Neo C.

In terms of social-liberalism, I'm far more liberal than most gaffers. Sometimes I don't participate on certain topics because it's not worth to outrage so many people.

Laiza

Paedophilia is a mental illness and the only way we can hope to stop sexual assaults on minors is to treat it as such. Don't get me wrong, I completely understand why it's such an emotionally charged subject, but reactionary condemnation doesn't help anyone in the long run.
The same can be applied to pretty much everything related to criminality and how we treat criminal offenders as a whole.

Punishment hasn't solved anything and does nothing to make the world a better place. It's pure bloodlust-addled nonsense.

It's a fucking shame that this view is apparently unpopular in the blood-filled streets of America. We've gotta have our daily shootings and keep licking our wounds as the price of FREEDOM (despite incarcerating far more people per capita than every other nation on Earth). Because the freedom to die violently in prison for performing acts out of desperation due to the hole America loves to throw marginalized people into is such a grand design, right?

Fuck, I hate this country.

Some Nobody

There is such a thing as good taste

On that note: My opinion on the arts is always right, and if you disagree with it you're automatically wrong and either low-brow or pretentious, depending. (That sounds absurd once typed out lmao.)

This is more of a secret of mine but... i'm all for equality of men and women in the workplace (salary, etc), that women decide NOT to have kids just because the society demands it (and, therefore, stop working) and I like that there are more women working too. But, at the end of the day, I wish I could find a nice girl that would want to be, first and foremost, a mother and a housewife. I live in a big city and all the women I dated
and even my current gf
see having kids as a defeat against the patriarchy and being a housewife as a gateway to depression and an empty life.
Ok, that opinion is unpopular in my small world (not the internet).

She can be a mom (like you can be a dad), but a housewife? lmao. Nah fam, split them chores and get over it lol.

She's the exact same which is why I wonder why people give her more shit. They are both awful people. Frank constantly undermines Claire but the moment Claire does it back people are like awww what a c*nt. The double standard is very blatant in these types of shows about powerful people.

Nah, I wasn't even bugged when she was banging that artist dude. Frank spent a whole season nailing Zoe, what's the difference?? I thought all her complaints were valid and he was a selfish jerk.

Americans, in general, lack self control and self discipline and tend to blame everything on external factors when internal factors could have otherwise resulted in different outcomes.

Care to go into detail?

I disagree with this on several levels. Dicks and vaginas can be plenty disgusting as well. And if we take this further, do you think homosexuals are disgusting?

It's weird that you automatically equate anal sex with homosexuals, even though there are all types of studies (went ahead and Google'd) that say a ton of hetero people have anal. Maybe the concept of anal in general just doesn't agree with them?

jviggy43

Star wars is the most overrated cultural phenomenon of all time, with the series having more terrible movies entries in the series than legitimate excellent ones (3 prequels awful, first 2 of original trilogy were excellent, returns was good, awakens good, rogue ok).

"Fuck you, I've got mine" won't go down well anywhere, bub.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. What's this "fuck you, I got mine" that you're referring to? (Is it some sort of online meme?) Also, what do you mean by "anywhere?" A lot of my friends think like me, so....

You better explain yourself, otherwise you're proving my point. (GAF members by and large being openly hostile to different political points of view.)

Trace

Banned
America's Democratic party would be considered far-right wing in most other first world countries.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. What's this "fuck you, I got mine" that you're referring to? (Is it some sort of online meme?) Also, what do you mean by "anywhere?" A lot of my friends think like me, so....

You better explain yourself, otherwise you're proving my point. (GAF being openly hostile to different points of view.)

I think he means that "fiscal conservatism" usually ends up with "trickle down economics" aka the rich get richer and fuck the poor. Turns into haves and have nots, and the haves obviously want things to stay as they are.

Oh your kid did something you find endearing, I don't fucking care.

agreed, but don't be a dick.

Suicide booths should be a thing.

wut?

We should let AI take over.

debatable, but sure i'll give you that.

People who walk in groups in a single row blocking an entire pathway should be shamed on public tv.

agreed, fully.

You guys are idiots for giving Zuckerberg your data.

nope, we're not - good luck making any money off your insignificant personal data yourself [seriously, gfl].

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I don't think the "honor and shame are huge parts of it/I'm an expert" meme is funny. Honestly, I don't get it.

I think the STEM circlejerk is not only untrue, but a sign of immaturity. Many more experienced tech-oriented people often come to recognize the importance of non-technical soft skills, even in their own field.

I think religion can have beneficial effects on one's life and happiness, as long as it's not taken to the point of fanaticism.

I think being skilled, popular, high-ranking, or otherwise accomplished does not give someone a license to be an asshole.

Trace

Banned
I don't think the "honor and shame are huge parts of it/I'm an expert" meme is funny. Honestly, I don't get it.

I think the STEM circlejerk is not only untrue, but a sign of immaturity. Many more experienced tech-oriented people often come to recognize the importance of non-technical soft skills, even in their own field.

I think religion can have beneficial effects on one's life and happiness, as long as it's not taken to the point of fanaticism.

I think being skilled, popular, high-ranking, or otherwise accomplished does not give someone a license to be an asshole.

I don't think many of these are unpopular, well outside of the first point. You can trust me on this, I'm an expert.

Nothing is more annoying than this recent trend of digging up any bad thing some person ever did then using it to condemn their entire existence.

We are human beings. We are fallible, we make bad decisions, those decisions do not necessarily disqualify our contributions to society.

You better explain yourself, otherwise you're proving my point. (GAF members by and large being openly hostile to different political points of view.)

I think his response to your humble opinion on political and social views, sums up why a lot of people don't bother engaging in thorough political debate on GAF.

The perceived usefulness of smart phones is inversely related to the usefulness of its operator. That is, people who "can't live without their phone" are useless. People who become reliant on them seem to be completely crippled at basic skills such as navigation when they're taken away.

Akuun

I don't think many of these are unpopular, well outside of the first point. You can trust me on this, I'm an expert.
I find the Thor 2 thing funnier than the "I'm an expert" thing, and I don't know why.

jem0208

Nothing is more annoying than this recent trend of digging up any bad thing some person ever did then using it to condemn their entire existence.

We are human beings. We are fallible, we make bad decisions, those decisions do not necessarily disqualify our contributions to society.
This should not be a unpopular opinion.

Some Nobody

The perceived usefulness of smart phones is inversely related to the usefulness of its operator. That is, people who "can't live without their phone" are useless. People who become reliant on them seem to be completely crippled at basic skills such as navigation when they're taken away.

I think we need to make more durable phones, because honestly I think this line of reasoning is bad. Like did people say this about the compass when it was first made?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
> Quentin Tarantino is a hack
> Men are more attractive with long hair and/or some moderate facial hair
> Alcohol is disgusting
> If you were an eligible American voter in 2016 and didn't vote for Clinton no matter what state you were in, you deserve Donald Trump as your president
> Zelda games (and most Nintendo IPs) are overrated
> Religious beliefs are not inherently deserving of respect

I think learning How to swim and having a swimming liscense to prove it should be manditory in North America.

Also there should be official badges encouraging adults doing outdoor activities, and helping the environment.

I don't know exactly where I am going with this but, people should be encouraged and officially rewarded for
Keeping their local community clean, and environmentally sound.

Regiruler

Breath of the Wild being the justification to like Nintendo again is dumb and it's overrated for being the start of a new era (which has considerable downsides) as opposed to any of its merits as a game.

People who make general remarks about Nintendo IPs as a whole are full of it.

Satanists, even ironically, are terrible for idolizing a symbol of every single terrible aspect of humanity.

Ironic religions are varying degrees of awful. The file sharing one can go fuck itself.

EDIT: In the current moment, the Wii U is a better console than the switch. This is tangentially related to my first point.

PaulBizkit

There are actually tons of women who want children and value family life over a career, you're probably not looking for them, but expecting to find them?

Well, it is common "knowledge" that looking/searching for women doesn't always work. As a matter of fact, the right person "finds you".
So, I go out, meet people, etc, but not with the intention of SEARCHING for something.

Anyways, good post. That gives me hope, buddy

She can be a mom (like you can be a dad), but a housewife? lmao. Nah fam, split them chores and get over it lol.

I don't mind splitting the chores (that was never part of the problem). With music on the background washing dishes, mopping the floors, even ironing clothes can be entertaining.
I do all of that now, and I even clean the shit boxes of the fucking cats that my gf has

Fiscal conservationism and centrist views are held by people speaking from a position of privilege, be it by being born into that position or being fortunate enough to be successful where many failed to even get a fair start.

In other words, you're comfortable and you don't give a damn about other people so long as it doesn't affect you.

Akuun

I think we need to make more durable phones, because honestly I think this line of reasoning is bad. Like did people say this about the compass when it was first made?
I wouldn't be surprised if some people did that.

The same argument is made for giving kids calculators too early in school.

Personally, I do think that kids should learn to do math themselves before they learn to do it on a calculator.

a916

There's enough severe flaws in Breath of the Wild that don't warrant it's near perfect critical acclaim.

Also, I don't get why people get so bent out of shape when it comes to reboots or remakes. The original isn't going to vanish out of existence....

That there is nothing wrong with the war on drugs in Mexico.

Although in my home state (which is a zone heavily affected by drug violence) is not really an unpopular opinion but here in Mexico City people think nothing short of you being a genocidal maniac.

There is nothing wrong with countries with a pretty homogeneous population (i.e. the main ethnic group takes up 90-95% of population) declear war on drugs. With a countries that has multi ethnic population, you may have a leg stand on accusing "The Men" using was on drugs to keep the minorities down. But American elites already got everybody hooked on sugar and obesity, I don't know why are they bothering with the other addictive substance.

Fiscal conservationism and centrist views are held by people speaking from a position of privilege, be it by being born into that position or being fortunate enough to be successful where many failed to even get a fair start.

In other words, you're comfortable and you don't give a damn about other people so long as it doesn't affect you.

The bolded is 100% not true of what I believe. So I'm going to ask you politely to not speak for me, since you know absolutely nothing about me. I'm gonna hold firm to my belief system. Now, we can have a civilized exchange of ideas that doesn't involve you making uneducated, nonsensical generalizations. Thanks.

Trace

Banned
The bolded is 100% not true of what I believe. So I'm going to ask you politely to not speak for me, since you know absolutely nothing about me. I'm gonna hold firm to my belief system. Now, we can have a civilized exchange of ideas that doesn't involve you making uneducated, nonsensical generalizations. Thanks.

You could probably explain what fiscal conservatism means to you, as that term has been pretty heavily co-opted by Reagonomics "experts" and far right in recent years.

televator

Lawrence of Arabia is a beautifully shot, but borring as hell white savior fantasy. Possibly the unspoken model from which most other such stories come from in Hollywood.

Well, it is common "knowledge" that looking/searching for women doesn't always work. As a matter of fact, the right person "finds you".
So, I go out, meet people, etc, but not with the intention of SEARCHING for something.

Anyways, good post. That gives me hope, buddy

I don't mind splitting the chores (that was never part of the problem). With music on the background washing dishes, mopping the floors, even ironing clothes can be entertaining.
I even clean the shit boxes of the fucking cats that my gf has

Yeah sorry. My post was more meant to be encouraging, as in, it's still okay to think about raising a family and sticking to family values and not lose hope. It's true that most young women in big cities are career oriented, but if you slightly shift away from the big city life, you probably find what you're looking for. This is not in an way encouraging you to break up with your gf *I'm not responsible for any of that.

Ron Mexico

There's a bunch more opinions that people aren't sharing because it's not worth it given the venue.

There's a bunch of posts that aren't unpopular and were posted solely for the reassurances of someone saying "You're not alone! I feel this way too!"

And a couple bonuses:

Your degree isn't worth nearly what you think it is. Even now. Sooner than later, it'll be just a footnote that hiring managers gloss over while they study your more relevant skills.

Speaking of, rather than seeing overwhelming student loan reform, I think you're going to see a regression in the percentages of students going to college and more entering the workforce earlier. And the world will continue unfazed.

Our political energies are spent in the inverse of where it would do the most good. National politics are the headliners while your local government has significantly more influence over your day to day life. By that same token, you show me someone who will vote down one column without so much as knowing anything beyond the (R) or (D) at the end and I'll show you a fool.

If we collectively only posted in threads where we had more than just the most superficial knowledge, post counts would drop like a stone
and we'd probably be more productive during our work day. Fortunately, that doesn't happen.

It's not exactly the same but I feel like this when people refer to my autism as "special" and it makes me different and unique and blah blah blah. It's a shit thing to have and I hate it but don't demean my existence to make yourself feel better.

So I do understand where you're coming from and agree wholeheartedly.

Jonathan Mitchell is probably my favorite author when it comes to neurodiversity. I will not have a say in the debate because I am not autistic, but I understand why people are hostile towards neurodiversity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom