• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your most unpopular opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some Nobody

I work for a gaming publication and one of our house rules is the term "player" instead of "gamer" because it has such a negative connotation for some people.

Ironically, the more hardcore of a "player" you are the more likely you are to be bothered by the term, and vice-versa. I know people who don't keep up with our drama that still call themselves gamers and don't even know there's a negative connotation to have.

Nutella isn't all that great. I prefer peanut butter.
Sriracha isn't all that great. I prefer Cholula.
Bacon is amazing, but I'm not into most bacon wrapped things.

That about covers the Internet food trinity.

Oh, and Nintendo is awesome and if you don't like them you have no soul. Ok not really, but somebody needed to balance out the Legend of Belda stuff.

ZanDatsu

Ironically, the more hardcore of a "player" you are the more likely you are to be bothered by the term, and vice-versa. I know people who don't keep up with our drama that still call themselves gamers and don't even know there's a negative connotation to have.

Just seems like a source of confusion to me. If someone sees you playing games and says, "so you're a gamer?", they're gonna be pretty confused when you turn around and tell them you're not. Not that this situation happens a lot or anything. Personally I've never had to refer to myself as a gamer, but I don't feel any aversion to the term.

mrplaid

I love my children, but I think it would be in humanity's best interest if we could humanely artificially control earth's human population. Hear me out...
In my perfect implementation of this, I envision something like the "suppression field" from Half-Life 2 engulfing the entire planet. Whenever the suppression field is active, a human sperm simply cannot fertilize a human egg. People can still have all the sex they want, but no one will get pregnant as long as the suppression field is active.
Once a year, an international council of representatives would convene and decide how many days each year we would lower the suppression field. Then, if you want kids, just smash uglies on the appropriate day!
So yes, in my perfect world contraception is forced on every person on the planet whether they want it or not. But on the plus side, if you're rich enough you could just charter a rocket to the bone zone and have space babies whenever you feel like you're ready.
My wife and I had to try to have children, so in my fantasy world there's a chance she would never have gotten pregnant just because my boys didn't feel like swimming during Hump Weeks (still working on the name we would give to the period of time when eggs could be fertilized). I'd like to imagine that fertility science would be robust enough by the time we develop a giant ethereal space condom that you are virtually guaranteed to get pregnant if you take the right drug. And it would probably be best to space Hump Week out over the course of a couple of days to take ovulation into account.

So yeah, that's my possibly controversial opinion/fan-fiction.

Laiza

Nutella isn't all that great. I prefer peanut butter.
Sriracha isn't all that great. I prefer Cholula.
Bacon is amazing, but I'm not into most bacon wrapped things.
There's no way that Nutella is more popular than peanut butter. I refuse to believe it.

They are two fundamentally different things. Sure, both are sweet spreads used on a variety of baked goods or mixed in with other sweets, but the flavor base is completely different, to say nothing of the actual mouth feel. Peanut butter just has a cultural cachet that is pretty much untouchable at this point.

Sriracha, on the other hand, is just one of those inexplicable things where they just sort of ended up on top and showing up everywhere. I haven't even tried enough other hot sauces to say whether or not it deserves that position. It's pretty inoffensive though, so I can imagine why it achieved that kind of mass-market appeal.

I do think bacon elevates most savory dishes it's paired with, but then, I'm on a "fat is flavor" bent, so of course I'd think that. :)

I dislike children with a passion and do not want any in the least. Recent issues in my family have only served to reinforce my position lately.

I like Twitter despite it being a shitty place at times and would be really disappointed to see it go away.

I don't care about 'problematic' content in my movies, video games or anime. Yea I think boob armor is stupid but I don't lose sleep over it and love many different anime shows with fanservice.

There's no way that Nutella is more popular than peanut butter. I refuse to believe it.

Oh, I don't think it is either, it was more me just saying I'm not a huge fan of Nutella and don't understand the worship. Although I'm a bit behind the curve these days, I think the craze has been dead for a while.

Tetra-9

I hate the blind assumption that italian food is great. It's so goddamn boring.

I hate Donald Trump, but if you make an orange/cheeto joke, I hate you even more. At least attempt to make an original joke ffs.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I think that some people don't deserve to live, and that the death penalty is 100% adequate for them.

I believe that there is such as a thing as being "too politically correct".

I don't believe that Neo-Nazis and other white supremacists should be protected under freeze peach. They should be censored, on all fronts.

I think religion causes more problems, than it helps people.

WW2 era for games, can still go fuck itself. No more.

Fish and seafood tastes like complete garbage.

I think Freddy's Dead is a really good movie.

Nintendo Switch is a big meh.

Budi

My point was more that these victims all have abusers who did it to them who are out in public living the decent life their social protection has afforded them.

It's like when we talk about how 1 in 3 women are sexually harassed or assaulted without ever talking about the statistics for how many men must have done it to them for that number to be so high.
I mean just look at Weinstein and how many women were his victims alone. It's not one victim per harasser situation. Even rapists often have more victims than just one.

Edit: Not to say that Weinstein isn't a rapist, he is. According to this study I saw cited in few places http://www.davidlisak.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/RepeatRapeinUndetectedRapists.pdf the percentage of men who have raped or tried to rape someone is 6%. Which is ofcourse too much and so would be even 1%.

I love my children, but I think it would be in humanity's best interest if we could humanely artificially control earth's human population. Hear me out...
In my perfect implementation of this, I envision something like the "suppression field" from Half-Life 2 engulfing the entire planet. Whenever the suppression field is active, a human sperm simply cannot fertilize a human egg. People can still have all the sex they want, but no one will get pregnant as long as the suppression field is active.
Once a year, an international council of representatives would convene and decide how many days each year we would lower the suppression field. Then, if you want kids, just smash uglies on the appropriate day!
So yes, in my perfect world contraception is forced on every person on the planet whether they want it or not. But on the plus side, if you're rich enough you could just charter a rocket to the bone zone and have space babies whenever you feel like you're ready.
My wife and I had to try to have children, so in my fantasy world there's a chance she would never have gotten pregnant just because my boys didn't feel like swimming during Hump Weeks (still working on the name we would give to the period of time when eggs could be fertilized). I'd like to imagine that fertility science would be robust enough by the time we develop a giant ethereal space condom that you are virtually guaranteed to get pregnant if you take the right drug. And it would probably be best to space Hump Week out over the course of a couple of days to take ovulation into account.

So yeah, that's my possibly controversial opinion/fan-fiction.

So in your Sci Fi/Fantasy scenario would the after effects of said egg cells being all angry for not being fertilized and their determination to get revenge somehow be lessened by said "Suppression Field" or simply men get off on not having to worry about anything because their sperm conveniently becomes sterile during said "activation periods"? -grumble-

Laiza

I don't care about 'problematic' content in my movies, video games or anime. Yea I think boob armor is stupid but I don't lose sleep over it and love many different anime shows with fanservice.
I fucking wish this were an unpopular opinion.

At most, it's unpopular on GAF... haha jk no it's not, who am I kidding? Hahahahahahahahahahaha....! (sob)

I think that some people don't deserve to live, and that the death penalty is 100% adequate for them.

I don't believe that Neo-Nazis and other white supremacists should be protected under freeze peach. They should be censored, on all fronts.

Hell yeah.

-All of the complaints regarding the "polarizing" fandoms like the Melee and furry community are usually baseless and come off as immature.

-Its really hard to take fans of nerdy genres and mediums like anime, the super hero flicks, video games, monster movies, horror, etc. seriously when it comes to being 'objective'.

-I think the term "latinx" sounds really dumb, even though it has good intentions behind it.

-None of the 2D mario games are particularly amazing, and they're outclassed by the Sonic games. They're good, but I'd rather play the first Sonic over Mario 3

Some Nobody

"I don't care" should equate to "it can stay or leave, doesn't matter". But judging by the whole "I love fanservice" I'm guessing you'd prefer it stayed. Now personally, I don't care. If women are more comfortable with it leaving, that's cool--let it leave. I won't miss it.

Unpopular opinion time: But if it goes, I'm not trying to see male fanservice replace it. Everyone dresses hella sensible from now on.

The alternative is you can have some people of both sexes in skimpy clothing, and some conservatively outfitted. That's fine too.

appaws

Banned
I'm gonna use this to make a joke (and it's only a joke, people!)

Conservative GAF |OT|: There are dozens of us!... Dozens!

:)

Unpopular on GAF, definitely.

I'm a libertarian, a life member of the NRA, and a Latin-mass attending traditionalist Catholic. So yeah...gimme my God and guns.

I am a non-interventionist on foreign policy, though....which some of Gaf's lefties agree with. I used to like posting here, I found it was a good place to joust with ideological opponents in good faith. I have pulled back over the last few years though, as ad hominem has become the norm rather than the exception.

RRockman

Banned
Some of my ruminations:

- I think suffering and pain are essential to the human experience. Not saying we shouldn’t do what we can to ease the burden where we can, but I believe those who want a pain free life don't know what life is all about.

- I don't think there's an issue with science and religion, I do however think there's an issue of people placing their ego in either practice and using it for whatever personal justifications they feel they need.

- No one should define themselves as a 'rationalist'. I think that's incredibly dangerous to ones personal growth

- I think there's truth in all of the religions and beliefs (also in agnostic, atheist positions). To what degree I'm not sure, but I think it's good that we have so many different positions. The search for truth is not a one way street.

- A lot of the people on this board are not all as level headed as they presume to be. I've pretty much stopped posting regularly because the general enviornment is one of being right, not having a discussion

-The beetles are boring. Elvis is way better

- I think people's current notions of Romantic love and happiness are extremely dangerous and toxic.

- People don't suck as much as others would have you believe. We're capable of great things

This has crossed my mind too. But I've instead thought about it in a more historical events context. I've noticed it takes horrible events to spur change and growth unfortunately, and I was hoing someone could have done time travel story and tackle this topic.

Like if some one went back in time and fixed major wrongs, like if Pear harbor never happened, or if MLK and JFK never died, or if any of the world wars never happened, Would we be truly better off? If we never learned from our mistakes in the first place, wouldn't that leave us free to make them later on with much more disastrous results?

Some Nobody

This has crossed my mind too. But I've instead thought about it in a more historical events context. I've noticed it takes horrible events to spur change and growth unfortunately, and I was hoing someone could have done time travel story and tackle this topic.

Like if some one went back in time and fixed major wrongs, like if Pear harbor never happened, or if MLK and JFK never died, or if any of the world wars never happened, Would we be truly better off? If we never learned from our mistakes in the first place, wouldn't that leave us free to make them later on with much more disastrous results?

Let me posit this: have we actually learned from our mistakes? Or would we have been better with some of our better leaders guiding us today?

Coricus

All of the complaints regarding the "polarizing" fandoms like the Melee and furry community are usually baseless and come off as immature.

People usually get offended by completely minor and harmless things about fandoms while ignoring or even actively encouraging legitimate toxicity, either within the fandom or towards it.

People in general have a skewed perception of what is and isn't acceptable behavior, and often times will end up not only immature but hypocritical in what they complain about.

I mean just look at Weinstein and how many women were his victims alone. It's not one victim per harasser situation. Even rapists often have more victims than just one.

There have been studies on this. Among identified rapists, one found an average of 11.7 victims each, another 7 victims each. If the average is around 6-10 then 3% of men would correspond to 18-30% of women.

It's like how a college professor could see class sizes as very small, with some of their classes almost empty. But a college student could see class sizes as very large, with almost all of them overcrowded. The professor would be an idiot to say "I don't know what the problem is, my classes are all small."

That said, my opinion has changed on this. I used to think of people as mostly good but not anymore. Even for the statistics above, it could be interpreted as repeat offenders more likely to get caught and take part in the study. And other studies have indicated more than 10% of men as offenders.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
> The Walking Dead and Battlestar Galactica are terrible shows
> Heroes was trash since S1E1
> Trophies/achievements are stupid shit
> Cigarette smokers (who grew up past the 60's) are stupid and selfish.
> Partying and clubbing is horrible and the opposite of fun
> Platinum has never made a good game
> Persona's music is atrocious

Most rap music is shit
Country music is shit
Spiderman Homecoming was a pile of steaming turds
Marvel is killing itself
Neogaf is detached from reality
People who use their mobile phones on concerts or movies are worthless human beings
People who mix wasabi with their soy sauce when eating sushi can burn in hell
Mobile gaming is for idiots
Season pass and DLC are fine
Platinum Games is overrated as fuck
Bobby Roberts ruins every thread he posts a comment in
Other than already not caring about Marvel stuff and all rap music sucking instead of most... I think I'm down with most of that really!

...And you were doing so well! :(

I fucking wish this were an unpopular opinion.

At most, it's unpopular on GAF... haha jk no it's not, who am I kidding? Hahahahahahahahahahaha....! (sob)
Right??

While Biggie and Tupac were clearly talented, the pedestal they are placed on has everything to do with their early demise and how it encapsulated the era rather than them being uniquely gifted talents. Had they lived to today they would not be brought up anywhere near as often as they are.

Ecotic

Christopher Nolan is a complete fraud and his movies always have a nonsensical plot, but he does it so artfully the average viewer believes they were just too dumb to understand the intricacies of what was going on and so they leave in total awe of his genius. Interstellar, The Dark Knight, and Inception didn't make any sense. While his movies are visually interesting and often have engaging concepts, the selling of his movies as an intellectual transcendence is a total scam that he's knowingly perpetrating.

PixelatedBookake

> Platinum has never made a good game
> Persona's music is atrocious

c0406a374fdefb1880e5058f8ac06fb6--to-study-ranges.jpg

Some Nobody

Other than already not caring about Marvel stuff and all rap music sucking instead of most... I think I'm down with most of that really!

New unpopular opinion: I think people who hate rap music are either racist (at the very least, have a healthy disrespect for modern black culture) or don't really know what they're talking about.

Boss X

Banned
This is NAS' best album, song to song straight listen, shake up, and especially you watch the Live DVD.

1200x630bb.jpg

Kid Cudi never made a bad album.

Wu-Tang's A Better Tomorrow is a good album.

John Wick is such a horrible movie. I can't grasp that people can sit through that and say "I was entertained.".
Pew pew pew!

It's pretty weak, yeah. On a similar note, The Man from Nowhere didn't do much for me.

Conversely, Fast & Furious 6 is the best in the franchise, vastly better than John Wick, Man From Nowhere, The Good The Bad The Weird, Force Awakens, Captain America: Civil War.

Whilst I'm happy this did happen and wish Canada did more for them, I wondered out loud to a friend why Native Canadians had a right to their own land, when they were...well...beat in a war of sorts.

Edit: And also, I think potential parents should go through parent preparation programs instead of just fucking and having babies when they can't afford it. If you don't pass, you can't have a baby.

Not saying kill you or anything too cruel, but some sort of deterrent.

I saw a friend of mine and his wife go through an unbelievably lengthy adoption process (like 3 years) and spent thousands of dollars for their kid, and a super intrusive (though understandable) background check process when some jackass can accidentally bust a nut in his girlfriend and boom, baby.

Also, Zelda and Metroid are overrated.

Support the troops, pay teachers more, save the whales.
Thanks, Lebatard

Well I feel better, and I sense you all agree with me about these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom