• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your thoughts on Whole Cake Island arc in One Piece (Spoliers Up to Whole Cake Island)

Cutty Flam

Banned
I finished it yesterday (anime) and I'm pretty impressed. But it was not a perfect arc. I think without much thought going into it, the arc is at least a solid 8.7/10

I'm in love with the fact that the so called weakest of the crew (excluding Luffy, of course) decided to set out to rescue and retrieve Sanji from the Whole Cake Island in Big Mom's territory. I'm SUPERR proud of them for their acts of bravery all throughout. I was especially impressed with Brook. Really badass moments and always kept his sense of humor too, Brook is an extremely valuable and resourceful member of the crew. Nami was great as well

I thought the alliance made was an incredible moment. When they ended on the cliffhanger of Jimbei keying the Straw Hats in on Bege's plan, and that Luffy should consider going on in with them, I was excited. And to see them all there at one table, having an intense meeting, all those formidable pirates at one table about to discuss and devise a major plan of attack to against Big Mom, ultimately to kill her.... I was more than thrilled to see what would happen. And the way that the tea party was disrupted was fucking amazing, Luffy did not disappoint. That was funny as hell

Fight against Katakuri was great as well. The donuts part was fucking hilarious. But yea the fight itself said a lot about Luffy, and Katakuri as well. It's pretty crazy to think that Luffy took down two of Big Mom's three main officers or Sweet Generals as they're called, protected his crew all the way throughout, and rescued Sanji all in one go. If Luffy were to have let Sanji try to just go about his way on this tea party, think of how many people would have died. Germa would be wiped out, Sanji would have been killed, Bege and his entire crew would have been killed in all likelihood. It would have been a very trivial gain for Big Mom at the cost of killing all those great Pirates

That was an all out invasion. That last half, to the end of Whole Cake Island arc was pandemonium, pure craziness. I don't think there's been that much disarray since the Paramount War or War of the Best at Marineford

I have a lot more to say about the arc from the start of it to the end of it, but I'll try to wrap it up nicely. Wanted to say, I fucking despise Big Mom more than anyone now. Even more than Scratchman Apoo, which I did not think would ever be topped; my hatred for him. When Luffy comes back, full force to fuck up Big Mom and her crew, I honestly hope he proves a point and fucking punches her to the depths of hell with Gear 6 if Luffy has such an ace up his sleeve. She's right there with Blackbeard, just please let her suffer every type of pain and miserable blow to her pride and name possible, please Odao

BIg Mom has many weaknesses from what I've seen. I hope Luffy goes all in and kills her in glorious fashion. That is my wish

Cutty Flam

Banned
It was shit like almost all the material after the 2 years break.

But i only watch the anime, maybe the manga is a little better.
Water 7 + Enies Lobby combo is my 10/10

So if those are 10/10 arcs, and I grade Whole Cake Island harshly, I'm still going to say it's a solid 8.5/10. Replace some of the singing, the sappy and dumb moments that didn't really count for a whole lot like Chiffon wanting to see Big Mom eat the wedding cake (she's such a dumbass, Chiffon, you don't run that Island, you aren't family to Big Mom, and you're literally wasting valuable time that could have killed you and your family.....) with some better content then it could have been much better. Still a very good arc, great even in some respects

It was extremely unwise for Luffy to make such a venture with the weakest in his crew, but he still found a way. It's definitely an arc that displayed he's on Yonko level or better if you read between the lines. Luffy's always finding in himself to prevail despite being at major disadvantages in foreign territory; his enemies are always at ease and well aware of their surroundings but Luffy keeps taking advantage despite that

Cutty Flam

Banned
You know what man? I'm just gonna say it out right, and quote me on this, I'm not kidding dog

SUUUUUUUUUUPPPERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GymWolf

You know what man? I'm just gonna say it out right, and quote me on this, I'm not kidding dog

SUUUUUUUUUUPPPERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tell me something, i stopped the anime during the samurai arc, at the beginning where zoro and rufy save the starved child (after the fight with the voodo guy) so like 30+ episodes behind, is it worth to continue this arc?

EGOMON

Brook was the MVP of the arc.
Also I didn't like how luffy defeated Katakori I mean he still seems stronger than luffy even when he lost and I wished he never fell on his back

Cutty Flam

Banned
Also I didn't like how luffy defeated Katakori I mean he still seems stronger than luffy even when he lost and I wished he never fell on his back
It was a tough fight to watch, Luffy was getting brutalized so badly. He was truly getting his ass handed to him. But while it might not be the best fight theatrically, it was a very powerful fight. It said a lot about both of them. And I can’t wait for the time when Luffy sets out to crush Big Mom’s morbidly obese frame from right out of her skin. Hope he simply punches her spine right out of her body bro

Katakuri is like Luffy in a way. Can’t wait to see Katakuri fight again

Cutty Flam

Banned
Not sure btw, Wolf

You’re further than I am, but I think Wano Kuni will become the greatest arc in the series. Just a prediction, based off what I’ve seen and heard even (accidentally spoiled some thing myself, others spoiled it for me as well)

I would personally prefer to stay current. That’s why I’m watching so much lately lol. I’ve seen more than 120 episodes in a 5 weeks, all One Piece too

Kenpachii

I liked the sanji part in it, the arc was well done in general. I can't wait to see what happens next tho. I watch the anime tho. The last episode that just got out makes things interesting. Luffy problems could actually be solved relatively easy now.

Paltheos

I like Whole Cake more than I've liked any new One Piece arc in a long time. Probably the most since Water 7.
One Piece is stronger in general when the heroes need to rise to a challenge (and overcome it) and this isn't something I've seen in it for a long time. The whole in-universe point of the time skip was to buff the characters up for the road ahead and so what we've seen is... mostly the heroes flexing on the villains and showing off their new abilities. I haven't felt any real danger for them in a long time until this arc, and Oda did a great job of upping the ante on everything while still keeping the story believable. When I was reading Whole Cake, I thought, "This is the New World," which is not something I could say for Dressrossa at all.
I also like allot how Oda structured the (enormous) finale. Usually there's one big bad that above all else Luffy needs to defeat and if he can manage that everything else tends to work out. This is not how the end is put together and there are a ton of lose conditions for the crew that are given allot of credibility as threats. It's good on its own but it's made even better by being different.

TTOOLL

I only read the manga and it's GLORIOUS. Whole Cake was excellent all around imo. Luffy's growth during that fight was really necessary if he wants to take on the new world and the invasion theme was surprisingly good. I mean, it's One Piece, the greatest piece of writing of our time.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Best ark so far since the time skip which, sadly, isn't saying much.
All the post time skip arcs are great. Loved the Fishman Island arc, Punk Hazard is interesting too although probably the least impressive so far out of the post time skip arcs, Dressrosa's a very exciting arc, Zou is excellent through and through and funny as fuck I love that arc, and Whole Cake is a lot to process especially since I've only just finished a couple days ago, but Whole Cake Island arc is pretty damn epic and entertaining. Seriously cannot wait for the day Luffy slaughters that fat fuck Big Mom

Cutty Flam

Banned
I think all of them were incredible. I was very impressed with Brook, thoroughly so. He did so much in that arc, I'm truly proud of his efforts and enjoyed watching and waiting to see his next moves. I just wish that Pedro could have survived. But I have to say, he went out like a true soldier. He saw the future, believed in it, and gave his life for a Captain, a pirate crew, that will lead a new generation and likely the world into a new era. I'm going to refer to him, out of respect, in my mind as the one unofficial Straw Hat. He would have no doubt been asked to come along had he survived

But to get back to what you said, I think Luffy caused the most damage on Whole Cake Island by a long shot. He had four major battles. He was the MVP of the arc by far imo. Although Brook getting the Poneglyph and facing Big Mom, as well as saving Carrot were humongous contributions that will have just as much impact later on as to what Luffy accomplished in the arc. Both of them were amazing

Top Bottom