• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube Not Backing Down from Copyright Stance.

*lock if old*

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/yo...cy-after-angry-gamers-speak-out/1100-6416777/

YouTube is standing by its controversial copyright policy after channel operators recently reported a huge spike in copyright claims made against videos featuring game content.

The letter, obtained by Kotaku, contains no apology or policy reversal. Instead, it explains the scenario and makes clear that YouTube is not going to budge on its stance.

YouTube explained that the spike in copyright claims is a result of the advancements made to the company's Content ID system that automatically detects and flags copyrighted material. The Google-owned company said that many videos are being flagged for copyright infringement because of music featured in the content.

Video from

cobanermani456
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emKf5olE4bk

HUELEN10

So since that won't budge, where can we share game capture videos/commentaries? I mean, they've gotten so much hate over this, and if they don't budge now, they never will.

Where should one go? Don't even care about monetizing.

I have a strange feeling YouTube is doing this to avoid lawsuits down the road... It was only a matter of time before this happened...

Zoggy

So since that won't budge, where can we share game capture videos/commentaries? I mean, they've gotten so much hate over this, and if they don't budge now, they never will.

then stay on youtube? pretty sure the videos getting flagged are the ones getting monetized.

Eusis

I have a strange feeling YouTube is doing this to avoid lawsuits down the road... It was only a matter of time before this happened...
It's why we'd probably get further having DMCA addressed than just Youtube. At worst they at least wouldn't have that as a shield to justify this crap.

Also if it's so dependent on music I wonder if it's the likes of the RIAA that were a bigger problem, it seems most game publishers don't care and some like Konami are even facing some inner turmoil.

viveks86

Ofcourse they aren't backing down.

1254825593_big-guy-vs-small-guy.gif

Youtube exclusive game by the Chinese Room:

Everybody's gone to twitch

Nice!

Isn't a good solution to go... elsewhere? It won't happen because for most people (myself included) it's so damn easy, but there are other video providers. YouTube might be top dog, but that's not a permanent thing.

scitek

Yeah, if you don't care about monetizing anything, just stay put. I have 300 videos, most of which have copyrighted material, but since I don't monetize anything, I haven't gotten any ID claims.

I have had ID claims despite no monetisation (from my end) for ages now.

No explanation as to why their great system is flaggingcompletely original content but they ddon't give a shit
Someone needs to straight up ask them the following two questions; why did you remove the "this is a mismatch" option from the disputes? why don't you put the revenue into holding until the dispute is settled rather than give the money to whoever is claiming it?

mollipen

We need a new gaming-focused site. Get developers, publishers, and the community all on board together. Have clear, concise rules for what companies do and do not support in terms of video footage. If the rules are clear and the companies themselves are involved in the process, there should be no gotcha takedowns or misunderstandings.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Being flagged doesn't mean you are being taken down unless then copyright policy for that infringement is to ban you. Most just remove your monetization and force you to have monetization that goes to the owner in full or part

You don't need to be monetized to fall into the above. That was never a condition of being flagged. Simply uploading to YouTube is the sole factor

HUELEN10

Yeah, if you don't care about monetizing anything, just stay put. I have 300 videos, most of which have copyrighted material, but since I don't monetize anything, I haven't gotten any ID claims.

then stay on youtube? pretty sure the videos getting flagged are the ones getting monetized.

I could have sworn it was stated during this thing that regardless of monetization or not, the vids were getting pulled. I had a YouTube account and was offered monetization like in 2008, but it said you much own all the material in the vid, and I didn't.

Can you make it so that you can monetize off some of you vids but not all, or is it all or nothing and your channel music be 100 percent original?

mattp

We need a new gaming-focused site. Get developers, publishers, and the community all on board together. Have clear, concise rules for what companies do and do not support in terms of video footage. If the rules are clear and the companies themselves are involved in the process, there should be no gotcha takedowns or misunderstandings.

this really does seem like a great chance for someone to step in and create a gaming-focused "youtube"

Being flagged doesn't mean you are being taken down unless then copyright policy for that infringement is to ban you. Most just remove your monetization and force you to have monetization that goes to the owner in full or part
Which is hilarious, because once your video reaches passed a certain amount of views youtube asks you if you want to place ads on it.

Effect

No explanation as to why their great system is flagging completely original content but they don't give a shit

Is 100% completely original content really being flagged? As in nothing from an outside source in terms of video or music no matter how small or short that might have another company connected to it? I'm honestly asking here because when I see "completely original" that means something very specific to me.

AndyD

aka andydumi
No explanation as to why their great system is flagging completely original content but they don't give a shit

I think the underlying message is that someone else claimed it. Wrongly or not. We have already seen a couple of places admit to accidentally claiming tons of stuff, theirs or otherwise, which could explain all sorts of wacky matches.

Their stance seems to be that they offered the tools asked for, and improved them, and they are not responsible for some of the abuse and accidents that are inevitable.

neshcom

Banned
I could have sworn it was stated during this thing that regardless of monetization or not, the vids were getting pulled. I had a YouTube account and was offered monetization like in 2008, but it said you much own all the material in the vid, and I didn't.

Can you make it so that you can monetize off some of you vids but not all, or is it all or nothing and your channel music be 100 percent original?
You can monetize on a per-video basis. CID has advanced over the years and a match no longer means instant deletion. In fact, most deletions recently seem to be manual requests from content owners.

Ivieto

Banned
Why should they? What they are doing is "right" in the sense that they are following the laws required by the DMCA. People for a long time have been doing techincally illegal stuff and getting away with it. It is not Youtubes responsibility to do anything about it.

Saying that, it fucking sucks that the copyright system is as messed up as it is right now.

this really does seem like a great chance for someone to step in and create a gaming-focused "youtube"

NeoTube! Or NeoGAFTUBE or something like that, I agree. We need the video solution that is NeoGAF as a forum site. We have got to do something about it.
Cause, as this article states youtube isn't going to back down, the music industry has to much power over there. Were it specializes in lets play, it needs to be publishers and developer supported and the ability to upload your share clips and lets play videos. We could make it the sister site to NeoGAF.

LiK

That's good. Channels I like who are ditching YT will just get me to watch their videos elsewhere.

Cynar

I have had ID claims despite no monetisation (from my end) for ages now.

Someone needs to straight up ask them the following two questions; why did you remove the "this is a mismatch" option from the disputes? why don't you put the revenue into holding until the dispute is settled rather than give the money to whoever is claiming it?

Exactly. Tons of bullshit really.

I like this idea, especially since a lot of publishers/developers are okay with their games being put on youtube. It could be a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Is 100% completely original content really being flagged? As in nothing from an outside source in terms of video or music no matter how small or short that might have another company connected to it? I'm honestly asking here because when I see "completely original" that means something very specific to me.

There was one instance were a musician was flagged for uploading his own music. I'll see if I can find it or someone else will beat me to it. This system is broken.

hayguyz

Banned
This is ridiculous. I should be able to put videos of whatever I want on YouTube, no matter what it is. Copyright or not, if I want to have videos of someone's work or IP or game or whatever, I should be able to. Typical Scroogles.

BING FOR LIFE

Yes there is completely original content and music being flagged and Youtube are stickung their head in the sand by refusing to acknowledge and fix this.

The system is broken and is being abused far beyond anything anyone could see coming.

Nymphae

Banned

Host your own site.

Ivieto

Banned

Well yeah, but the author of the site will be potentially flooded by lawsuits and take-down notices. So they could go the Piratebay route and tell everyone to fuck off, which would be a hassle. Or implement a take-down system, and we have the youtube problem again.

I don't blame Youtube.

They have to do this or they'll get sued off the internet.

Don't complain to them about it - complain to the US Copyright Office - they're the ones who regulate the fair use limitations.

Threatening Youtube is stupid and ignorant. They're not the target.

Draft

YT is more interested in the short term money than fostering long term growth through diverse, self sustaining content.

Furious Paul the Let's Player may have 1,000,000 subscribers and reguarly receive 500k views per video, but the latest banger from Madam Googoo or Poo$$ywhip probably has 50,000,000 views. Old media is death throes but still has a ton of fucking cash and exposure and better lawyers than some bearded doofus making videos about how lame the Xbone One is.

IMO Google is killing the golden goose. An army of doofus making cheap content with respectable views is better long term than a half dozen old guard media conglomerates with currently deep pockets and extensive copyright portfolios. Those pockets get lighter by the day, and once that money's dried up and the lawyers aren't so scary, that copyright portfolio isn't going to be as impressive.

YT should be fostering independent producers who need YT for distribution instead of punishing them to please media empires that view YT as an upstart taking cash out of easier to control channels like TV and radio. But on the other hand, where else can the independent guys put their content? There is no YT alternative. Yet.

Nymphae

Banned
But on the other hand, where else can the independent guys put their content? There is no YT alternative. Yet.

What is stopping people from making their own websites and hosting their own videos, besides effort and money?

No videos are getting pulled, they are just blocking monetization of them.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

In some cases (but not all) this is working as intended, as bizarre as it sounds.

Some artists signed up with some TuneCore/INDMusic services, not realising that by doing so they were giving TuneCore and/or INDMusic the right to make ContentID claims on their material and on their behalf in return for a 20% cut.

The way TuneCore/INDMusic has gone about this is all wrong, but that does mean that in some cases artists may have agreed, either through publishing deals or other distribution deals, to assign rights over their content to third parties without realizing it.

This was a shitstorm that was coming to some musicians whether they knew it or not, either through ContentID or other actions, but the fact is that some artists have assigned others rights over their material, and are only just now learning about it / realizing it.

Nymphae

Banned
Lawsuits?

I am honestly not very knowledgeable about the legalities of all of this, but I was under the impression that if it's on your site and you aren't asking for money, you can show what you want (I mean not full movies or anything obviously, but for the purposes of this discussion, a Let's Play video for example) unless the company contacts you directly and asks you to remove it.

flkraven

This YouTube thing is getting exhausting

There was one instance were a musician was flagged for uploading his own music. I'll see if I can find it or someone else will beat me to it. This system is broken.

What does a flag do? Does it block the video and remove monetization? Does it just do one of those thing? Does it do neither? Sorry, I am still ignorant as to what these auto-flags do.

Ivieto

Banned
I am honestly not very knowledgeable about the legalities of all of this, but I was under the impression that if it's on your site and you aren't asking for money, you can show what you want unless the company contacts you directly asks you to remove it.

The default is you cannot show public performances of copyright UNLESS you have explicit written permission from the owner. DMCA gives sites like youtube the benefit of the doubt if their users upload stuff as long as they take it down. If you upload it directly to your own site, you could get sued .

Alos, I dont think the courts have decided if lets play is transformative work. And unitl they rule on it, it is NOT fair use.

Top Bottom