• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII delayed last-minute on PC

Do what you need to do so its right. *is currently reading Schreier's book and you should too*
I don't think anyone should blame the port developers for issues like this. NISA seems to have poorly managed the PC port project just looking at when they timed the beta, and Falcom games usually have weird issues going from console to PC.

Teppic

I haven't preordered the game yet because I was a bit worried about the port. I hope things will turn out okay in the end.

I don't mind the delay as I planned to play VI and VII before I play this.

Ganado

Unfortunate that it came to this, but better to delay it than to release a Koei Tecmo-quality port.
While it might not have sounded like it earlier, I'm all for better ports etc. Like the new Neptunia game that got delayed until 2018 on PC, its disappointing but understandable. 1 day before release is a kick to the nuts.

coughlanio

You would have assumed if the port was bad, this decision would have been made clear a week ago.

Announcing it less than 24 hours before its expected launch doesn't seem like a good sign if they knew it was in poor shape.

Maybe they thought it was good enough and the fans would let performance concerns slide.

Kvik

Maybe they've come to realise there's no excuse in having a less competent PC port out there after the last two Falcom games NOT published by NISA are really competent, both in localisation and technical engineering.

Personally, I'd prefer XSeed to handle all Falcom IP since they know what they're doing.

Although, I could really use arbitrary resolution support in Ys Seven, but I digress.

And with that, the game got dropped to a winter steam sale buy for me. Hopefully they at least get it right the first time then, especially if they delay it not even 24 hours before launch.

Thank goodness for refunds for those that preordered.
thats where I'm at. Delay I feel like is actually saving me from dumping $60 on NISA's shoddy translation anyway

Battlechili

Banned
I definitely would have been real worried about that one if Ghostlight hadn't stepped in to help.
Unfortunately it also likely means it won't have anything near the graphics options normally found in PC releases of Falcom games.
I doubt there'll even be an Anisotropic Filtering option.

Ether.

GF8YNey.png

Honestly, I had kind of decided earlier today that I would probably wait until the fall sale (tight on money, and feeling some slight Ys burnout right now), so this doesn't really sting too much for me. Hopefully they get it right and it's in good shape when it launches.

Mrbob

This was a last minute decision to delay... Better to do this than stare down the barrel of negative steam reviews and refunds. Imagine if there weren't refunds, I bet NISA would have released the game in its current sorry state.

Get Xseed back for future Ys games please.

Can always pick the game on PS4 since that one's releasing. Or wait some more for PC.

Last minute warning kinda sucks but I guess they were trying to get fixes until last minute and seeing how they couldn't, they took that decision instead. I doubt delaying a release one day before is an easy decision for them either, it's going to be kinda bad press, even though in the end if they fix the port(since it seems to be a porting issue this time even though they've been making pc games for a while) people will forget about it.

Usual Myamoto quote: "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." Although technically they could release it bad and patch it to be good, but the initial feedback would be really negative and bad steam reviews tend to hurt initial sales a lot if you don't have a huge PR machine behind, like Total War: Warhammer having bad reviews because of the "preorder" DLC stuff even though you could still get the DLC a week after launch for free, and still sold better than every other Total War by a lot, and then kept getting bad reviews cause no chinese version, and still kept selling.

But eh if you want some sweet RPG action this week and don't mind turn based combat instead, there's Divinity 2. I know there was a thread last weekend about Ys VIII versus Divinity 2. They're still fairly different genres so people might not like Divinity 2 style of gameplay but otherwise it's a good time to play that.

Decided to request a Steam refund. I can use the money on other stuff right now, and rebuy the game when there's at least an estimated release date.

Ascheroth

People suggesting this is because of DRM, please use that thing called brain a little.
This game is coming out on GoG.
Which way to the GAF betting pool? I want to put $20 on Denuvo implementation.
Can you send me those 20$ right now, I'll PM you my PayPal account. Thanks :)

They really should've addressed it from the jump, and hired your earlier!

I think the way NIS addressed this was shitty - locking threads with beta testers under NDA, even posting an optimization thread on the Steam forums led to a lot of shady whispers of how shit the port was.

Why not be forthcoming and honest, just delay it and announce it earlier? A day before, no word, NDA play testers - sadness.
Durante has been (and is still) working on Cold Steel.

Ultimately this is the best decision out of a bunch of bad options. Will probably give Xseed more leverage for the next Ys game as well.

People suggesting this is because of DRM, please use that thing called brain a little.
This game is coming out on GoG.

Can you send me those 20$ right now, I'll PM you my PayPal account. Thanks :)

Durante has been (and is still) working on Cold Steel.

Ultimately this is the best decision out of a bunch of bad options. Will probably give Xseed more leverage for the next Ys game as well.

If the game released today, it would've been Batman tier, if worse, of port state.

Ascheroth

If the game released today, it would've been Batman tier, if worse, of port state.
Yeah, I've been saying that in the end people will forget that delay soon after it releases. No one cares anymore that Nier a tomato was released 2 weeks after PS4.
Everyone still shits on Arkham Knight as the worst port in existence and an affront to humanity, even though it's supposedly in good shape now.
You only get one launch.

But Ys SEVEN's PC version was 8 years late.
And? The series wasn't doing so well at the end of 2010 that XSEED had some great window to commission a PC port of it. They played things safe by licensing fan translations for older Ys games already on Windows, and now we're getting this, without last-minute delays.

Yeah, I've been saying that in the end people will forget that delay soon after it releases. No one cares anymore that Nier a tomato was released 2 weeks after PS4.
Everyone still shits on Arkham Knight as the worst port in existence and an affront to humanity, even though it's supposedly in good shape now.
You only get one launch.

Yup, exactly. You can blame NISA for not gearing up with a nice port for launch. But you definitely cant blame NISA since they worked hard on this and for not releasing a broken product at launch.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Probably a dick move by me but this makes me extremely wary of buying it even when they do put it out.

Will definitely wait for reviews and impressions whenever that is. Shit must have been tragic. Ys games are 100% must buy for me and to see a delay on the day before release means they messed this up bad.

Probably a dick move by me but this makes me extremely wary of buying it even when they do put it out.

Will definitely wait for reviews and impressions whenever that is. Shit must have been tragic. Ys games are 100% must buy for me and to see a delay on the day before release means they messed this up bad.

For what it's worth, they're doing some nice stuff and planning some really neat things. It's more about technical problems of how things works rather than the choice of features. It's not like Batman or KT ports were resolution or framerate are locked because they dont care and stuff are missing. Game is delayed because they want to please people with a good, polished port.

So do people really believe they didn't announce the delay until the last minute because they thought they could fix it in time? And now that the delay is announced, they can't give a new estimated release date because they don't know how long it will take to fix it?

sprinkles

And refunded. I'll use those Euros for Blue Reflection at the end of the month.

I haven't started with Ys Seven yet so I am not even mad. Finishing Trails the 3rd and Divinity is around the corner.

Durante

So do people really believe they didn't announce the delay until the last minute because they thought they could fix it in time? And now that the delay is announced, they can't give a new estimated release date because they don't know how long it will take to fix it?
Is that so hard to believe? I mean for the former you can absolutely blame bad planning and unrealistic scheduling, but nothing about the latter strikes me as unlikely.

BasilZero

XSEED must be laughing at NISA's delay l0l

I just hope Ys 8 runs well in the end.

I've been playing Disgaea PC and I heard at first it was a mess, I bought my copy like 6 months after its initial release and its my third most played game on steam now xD.

Anyways, since I finished Ys Origins, 1 and 2 - I'mma play Oath soon.

Is that so hard to believe? I mean for the former you can absolutely blame bad planning and unrealistic scheduling, but nothing about the latter strikes me as unlikely.

I feel like that scenario is plausible but also highly unlikely. A problem (or set of problems) that will delay your deployment indefinitely rarely creep up on you at the last minute. They had to have seen it coming, at least a few days ago. You can call it bad project management but the cynical part of me thinks that they deliberately held off the delay announcement to get as many pre-orders as they could. I don't know how many people will actually refund a pre-order once they have committed to buying it.

fuzaco

You would have assumed if the port was bad, this decision would have been made clear a week ago.

Announcing it less than 24 hours before its expected launch doesn't seem like a good sign if they knew it was in poor shape.

I mean, yeah, I'm not happy about it either, I bought it a few hours before the delay announcement, and it hurts that I spent 50€ on something that I don't even know when is gonna come out anymore, but I still think it's better than getting a broken port.

Top Bottom