• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana import impressions thread

ranmafan

So today is the release date of the new Ys game, and so far I haven't seen anyone talk about the game. Doesn't appear that there is a import OT so far (checked the OT claim page and seems no one planned one), so I thought I would start a post at least to talk about the game a bit here. If anyone is making an import OT please go ahead and close this thread and Ill move my impressions there.

But Ive wanted to talk about the game for a day now and didn't want to wait much longer. I actually received my copy a day early, once again thanks to Falcom's great online store who always sends out their orders a day early. And yesterday was especially great as I was ill and needed something nice to play.

TnvmlUq.jpg

As you can see I got the collectors edition and all. Came with a nice "Codex of Adol Christin" book, which is just an art book for the game. But its done in the style that it was written by the character. Reminds me of Nathan Drakes diary from Uncharted. I also got and extra metal bookmark thing from the Falcom store for ordering there. Great place.

Anyway on to the game, Im going to avoid spoilers for now and just give some basic impressions for now. First off we've heard how long this game is, and so far its certainly a big game game. Ive played through the prologue and first chapters and while not terribly long they did take a bit of time. I love the areas so far. Even on a small island they can be quite huge.

The gameplay is classic Ys, simple fun action rpg gameplay. I know a lot of people have been worried about the framerate from the videos, and while Im no expert on frame rates and usually don't care about them anyway, my experience so far is that in combat they are fine. Game runs very well there. But there is some moments where gamers might have some issues with it all. Never has bugged me though. Love the first few bosses so far. to too hard but a lot of fun to battle.

Music is very nice. Found myself taking breaks and just keeping the game on the pause menu so that I can listen to the music. Falcom always has such wonderful music.

Overall I played about seven hours yesterday and it was hard to put down. I haven't had that feeling for a game in a while. Everything about it so far is fun. Ys fans are going to love it. But so far like Ive said I'm only on the second chapter and I'm still unlocking things to do in the game, especially tutorials. Theres a lot to do it seems and all. Also, lots of dialogue that goes on and on. Some might like that others won't. I didn't mind, but sometimes I really did want to get back into the action.

So yeah anyone else getting this today? Its a great game so far. Hope everyone enjoys it. Im going to go back to it now.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Also, lots of dialogue that goes on and on.

Can't say I'm surprised after the last two games. Whyyyy Falcom :(

How much emphasis is there on jumping/platforming? I'm hoping it's closer to Napishtim/Felghana/Origin but my expectations are that it's not really taken advantage of in the level design and only used a little in combat for aerial combos and such.

Aters

So you've played 7 hours and you are still in chapter 2? How many chapters are there? Man they didn't lie about the length.

I'll be grabbing a digital version tonight, whenever it goes up. Glad to hear the performance seems fine! All the footage since that one super framey trailer seemed fairly smooth, so.

ranmafan

Can't say I'm surprised after the last two games. Whyyyy Falcom :(

How much emphasis is there on jumping/platforming? I'm hoping it's closer to Napishtim/Felghana/Origin but my expectations are that it's not really taken advantage of in the level design and only used a little in combat for aerial combos and such.

So far the levels are designed where you will need to jump sometimes but its not been a big thing yet. Its certainly not a platformer style in the early area I'm in. It could change in later parts of the game but so far, its not a big deal there yet.

It definitely is needed for battles. The boss I ran into last night basically required jump attacks and combos in order to effectively attack it. Which I might add was quite fun!

ranmafan

So you've played 7 hours and you are still in chapter 2? How many chapters are there? Man they didn't lie about the length.

Well Im taking my time, if I hurried I'm sure it would be shorter. But it does feel packed with things. I can't remember exactly how many chapters there are, but theres a listing in the trophies about that.

Hurrah! Thanks for the thread - was hoping for an import OT.

Importing the collector's edition and will likely take a while to get here. Hoping menus are easy enough to navigate with limited language knowledge - gameplay has always been king over narrative in Ys for me, so was an easy import decision. Shall read impressions in the meantime.

ranmafan

I'll be grabbing a digital version tonight, whenever it goes up. Glad to hear the performance seems fine! All the footage since that one super framey trailer seemed fairly smooth, so.

Yeah in battle the performance has been fine. Im no FPS expert but its not been a problem at all. I will say however in in game cut scenes there are some low FPS moments. Which I found a bit odd. Certainly they will hammer those out for the PS4 release but the actual action game part itself has been smooth as butter for me!

Nyoro SF

I'm most concerned with mechanical efficiency.

I'm going to assume that the good ol pause, heal, pause, heal, ez mode boss loop is still in?

Just how awesome is the music are we talking here?

Also is the dialogue Trails-quality? I need my subtlety and wit.

So far the levels are designed where you will need to jump sometimes but its not been a big thing yet. Its certainly not a platformer style in the early area I'm in. It could change in later parts of the game but so far, its not a big deal there yet.

It definitely is needed for battles. The boss I ran into last night basically required jump attacks and combos in order to effectively attack it. Which I might add was quite fun!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessss

StereoVsn

Did Xseed say this is being localized? I really hope this is not going to be late 2017 or something like that. Well, and February 2017 wouldn't be great either ;).

Did Xseed say this is being localized? I really hope this is not going to be late 2017 or something like that. Well, and February 2017 wouldn't be great either ;).

No one has said anything yet, and no one should expect any news until the beginning of next year at the earliest. Considering it's length and the amount of text it's sure to have, no one should expect this game to be out over here before summer 2017.

nakedeyes

Banned
Awesome! glad to hear the impressions..

Now not every Vita gamer cares about this, but: is it Native Vita res? MoC wasn't and looked all muddy. Since this is on PS4 as well, that is kind of the factor that will sway me away from vita.

Cleve

Disappointed to hear this is loaded with dialogue. It's definitely not why I play Ys games, but maybe I'm in the minority.

Hopefully there's some good options to speed it up.

ranmafan

Just how awesome is the music are we talking here?

Also is the dialogue Trails-quality? I need my subtlety and wit.

Wel it's Falcom so we are talking music on epic awesomeness scale. Even the simple laid back tunes are a joy to listen to. So wonderful. Like I said I was taking breaks with the game on pause just so I could listen to the music. I'm going to have to pop in that mini soundtrack it came with soon.

dialogue feels very trails like.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Why do I always forget that Falcom online store delivers a day early...

Anyway, will be grabbing my copy today after work. Really liked Celceta and recently finished VII, so my body's ready.

I probably won't be able to play this game for another year but I'm hoping someone posts that soundtrack disc online somewhere soon, I've been dying to hear the score.

NesFe

I'm waiting for the store to update to get the game, but I'm always excited for a new Falcom title. Hopefully, I'll post some impressions soon !

I'm not too bothered about framerate drops in cutscenes, Kiseki games had the same thing and it didn't effect my enjoyment at all.

Aeana

I had claimed the OT, but I removed it since there seems to be a dramatically low amount of interest in the game around here and I didn't really have time to gather the info for it anyway. There's nothing wrong with having an import impressions OT, I can even turn this into that. I'll be getting the game on Friday I think, unless things go horribly wrong.

ranmafan

Why do I always forget that Falcom online store delivers a day early...

Anyway, will be grabbing my copy today after work. Really liked Celceta and recently finished VII, so my body's ready.

Yeah I love the Falcom store for that. They may cost a little more but I don't mind that if I can play a day early.

Thanks for the impressions. Ys games are guaranteed fun times for me. I don't care if there is a lot of dialogue or a little, as long as the game is still badass with great music and addictive gameplay.

ranmafan

I had claimed the OT, but I removed it since there seems to be a dramatically low amount of interest in the game around here and I didn't really have time to gather the info for it anyway. There's nothing wrong with having an import impressions OT, I can even turn this into that. I'll be getting the game on Friday I think, unless things go horribly wrong.

Oh please do! It would be great to have a real import impressions thread and this could be it. Yeah I wanted to comment on the game but I'm the last person that has the time to make a real nice big OT, so I just quickly made this thread up since no one else did. But yeah it would be nice to have a place to talk about it since it looks like there will be many that will be getting it from the responses so far.

ranmafan

Thanks for the impressions. Ys games are guaranteed fun times for me. I don't care if there is a lot of dialogue or a little, as long as the game is still badass with great music and addictive gameplay.

You will be very happy then with this one! About to start playing again for the day. Hoping to get through as much as I can today. This is for me the title that starts the great summer of games 2016 for me. And so far, it's been a great start!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Am not sure if mine will arrive tonight or not amazon never was out of stock but expected date of arrival is on the weekend wtf.

Glad someone made a thread so will sub to this .

ranmafan

Am not sure if mine will arrive tonight or not amazon never was out of stock but expected date of arrival is on the weekend wtf.

Glad someone made a thread so will sub to this .

Amazon is weird today I've found. For some reason they sent me Black Rose Valkyrie today instead of tomorrow and I didn't pay extra. That's odd for them lately. Strange About your Ys order. Hope you get it soon.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Amazon is weird today I've found. For some reason they sent me Black Rose Valkyrie today instead of tomorrow and I didn't pay extra. That's odd for them lately. Strange About your Ys order. Hope you get it soon.

On a separate topic with black rose apparently it has crashes so enjoy time with ys till IF patches it lol.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I feel like this is a safe bet for importing, since I never pay attention to dialogue in the latest Ys games anyway, and the combat is really intuitive. Do the special abilities get confusing when they're displayed in Japanese, though?

Latter sounds like a huge improvement, so at least this game ought to best the previous two in boss design. I bet the later areas will rely on platforming a deal more once players are used to precision jumping.

dreamfall

I want to import it, but definitely feel like it might be a lot to handle without translation. There seems to be a much bigger focus on story? 40ish hours?

ranmafan

Wow, at 3.4 GBs there must be a lot of voiced dialogue in this or something.

There's a bit in the game yeah, but I wish there was more. Full voice would've been awesome but alas lots of unvoiced dialogue too.

Played a bunch more this morning. It's so hard to put down. I love how Ys games play action wise. Movement just feels so perfect.

Gu4n

Decided to go for the limited edition, so I'll have to wait for my copy to arrive (probably early next week) and keep checking this thread for impressions in the meanwhile.

Sallokin

Picked up my SE from GEO this morning. I think Ranma's impressions are spot on. Digging the music a lot so far myself.

I'm playing on the old Vita and I think it looks quite nice as well. Frame rate stuff isn't distracting to me either, but I'm an old man and have spent a lot of time building up an immunity to that kind of stuff.

Top Bottom