• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana |OT| Two Systems, Two Heroes, One BIG HOLE

Jolkien

Silent tower which you need 24 people to open or 2 in the end game dungeon

Yup just stumbled across it. Thanks !

Edit: Holy crap the boss in there was by far the hardest one I fought so far. Doesn't help that it was level 80 and I was 59. So many items used, but he died that's what count

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yup just stumbled across it. Thanks !

Edit: Holy crap the boss in there was by far the hardest one I fought so far. Doesn't help that it was level 80 and I was 59. So many items used, but he died that's what count

Yeah he was struggle bus at that level I said fuck this shit and took my toys and went home.... went back to him with a bunch of the end game stuff and at 66.... poor bastard got melted

Also kind of weird is if you fight him at a lower level/early he has a move he doesnt get if you fight him later

How do I activate the night version of
Gendarme
? I need to level up a bit to take on the fucker in
Silent Tower
and I thought grinding on the
big ancient species in Gen
would be a good way of doing that. Alternative location suggestions/methods are welcome.

What's a good alternative translation for
notions
? Knowledge?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
How do I activate the night version of
Gendarme
? I need to level up a bit to take on the fucker in
Silent Tower
and I thought grinding on the
big ancient species in Gen
would be a good way of doing that. Alternative location suggestions/methods are welcome.

What's a good alternative translation for
notions
? Knowledge?

Knowledge/Life Force/Will.... Fucking NOTIONS has me like why lol

You get to the version at the campsite at the bottom.

Don't grind just to beat him, progress the game like normal and go back later.
there is a point where you will CLEARLY be strong enough to cave it's face in

I can't figure how the chest I'm missing in the Big hole. Here's the screenshot of my map. The upper floor is minuscule and I have no chest on it.

Middle Layer
Bottom Layer

missingchest1blug.jpg

See the wee red circle above? That's the one you're missing.

Usobuko

Banned
I'm interested to know for those who have beat the game or progress far ahead how you would rank it among the rest of the Ys games.

It's as good as the import impressions suggest?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm interested to know for those who have beat the game or progress far ahead how you would rank it among the rest of the Ys games.

It's the best Ys game imo

Seven/Origin
2/Oath
Celceta
Ark/1

It has a few minor flaws in it's combat rhythms where Origin and 2 are the perfection of their styles but the total package and those minor flaws don't hurt it's standing for how much of a blast the game is and how amazing some of the fights are to the point of being series highlights

Knowledge/Life Force/Will.... Fucking NOTIONS has me like why lol

You get to the version at the campsite at the bottom.

Don't grind just to beat him, progress the game like normal and go back later.
there is a point where you will CLEARLY be strong enough to cave it's face in

Thank you for your notions :p Appreciated.

(Double d'oh at forgetting
Passage of Ancient Species
lead to
Gendarme
.)

It's probably the best ys game for me, but I don't have the same love for the older games as most people, If I had it will probably be a much harder choice. Ys VIII is better than Seven and much, much better than Celteta, but it still repeat some mistakes from those games.

Overall I prefer to separate the games in two groups depending of the party system and rank them accordingly to how much I enjoyed them.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Looking back Seven is in a much better place than Celceta long term as how it plays is pretty unique to itself as a whole where 8 is this massive improvement for what they were trying to go for with Celceta's changes to seven

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
8 is just a better Celceta. BUT! Celceta isn't bad, and I think I even like the designs and personalities of the playable cast in that game more, especially Duren. But 8 is like 95% all around improved upon Celceta in every way.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
8 is just a better Celceta. BUT! Celceta isn't bad, and I think I even like the designs and personalities of the playable cast in that game more, especially Duren. But 8 is like 95% all around improved upon Celceta in every way.

There are no actually bad Ys games with any of the stuff released Ark and up.

Like I'll talk shit about Ark all day but it's still better than most games :p
Edit: last boss time https://go.twitch.tv/qistoptier

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Still havent beaten the last boss yet had to put the system into rest mode and tap out :l
So much freaking hp it's ridiculous Like the legit first time I felt this way about a boss in the series LOL oh well its the last boss and im fighting it "not as intended"

Current Ys 8 stage brings to mind Ys Origin's
The Hall of Reflection

xD Are Adol's Force Edge and Aura Blade skills as totally OP on other difficulties as they are in normal mode? I mean I was spamming FE like crazy even before I got the Saint Ring (skills cost 1/2 HP) and things died *quick*. I did take it out of rotation for a while but since the introduction of the stronger beasts I've added it back in. Ditto AB.

Thanks a lot !

Happy to help : )

redcrayon

Finished up with the true ending, what a great game, really enjoyed that.

Only boss to give me trouble was the one at the bottom of the tower of silence, looks like I'm not the only one to take it on as soon as possible and run into a level 80 boss with a level 60 party!

Enjoyed not having to grind, and also that all the sidequests felt rewarding, even the fishing and cooking ones.

Does anyone know what you have to do to get the 'extraordinary adventurer' trophy? 'Proof that you thoroughly read "Periplus of the Gaete Sea," written by Adol Christin'. What does that mean exactly?

My favourite parts were early on where you had no idea of the layout of the island, but while it fell into
well-trod Mana tree, apocalypse, priestess, save the world
territory later on, the
ancient species
were a nice touch. Loads of the lesser characters really appealed to me too- Shoebill's gaze will be one I remember. Also,
Master Kong, and both seeing the young soldier grow and Dana's friendship with the head priestess in her time.

Just like some the cast, I wasn't sure whether I wanted to leave at the end. Great stuff.

redcrayon

Current Ys 8 stage brings to mind Ys Origin's
The Hall of Reflection

xD Are Adol's Force Edge and Aura Blade skills as totally OP on other difficulties as they are in normal mode? I mean I was spamming FE like crazy even before I got the Saint Ring (skills cost 1/2 HP) and things died *quick*. I did take it out of rotation for a while but since the introduction of the stronger beasts I've added it back in. Ditto AB.

Happy to help : )
The Saint Ring seems like such a powerful accessory compared to most of the others. The other one I went with was the 'null all status effects' one.

Mr.Jeff

My favourite parts were early on where you had no idea of the layout of the island, but while it fell into
territory later on, the
ancient species
were a nice touch.
I like to think of it as
the Ys world is an adaptation of our own world but with certain changes. So this story was basically their version of the extinction of the dinosaurs

redcrayon

I like to think of it as
the Ys world is an adaptation of our own world but with certain changes. So this story was basically their version of the extinction of the dinosaurs
Absolutely, it made for some relatively fresh creature design, anyway!

Kyolux

Finished the game on Hard last night with true ending. Tons of fun. It's hard not to call this the best Ys with all the content it has and it all being great. I'm usually one to avoid side stuff like the interceptions and suppressions in other games, but man these are fun too, especially suppressions.

I need to go back sooner than later and do a Nightmare run as Hard wasn't really hard and might as well go for that Platinum trophy.

Will probably cheese it with the clear data though because I don't think I can put as much time as I put in my first playthrough again.

You guys playing on Inferno though. Props. I need me those bottles.

paulpp

Neo Member
Just finished this...amazing game. The game-play is sublime and the amount of content...wow.

I'm thinking of trying Ys 7 next. How does it compare to 8? The only other Ys game that I've played was Ys Origins (which was amazing too).

Abdiel

Annnnnnnd Platinum achieved. Damn good game, damn good. Not on my same passion as say, the Trails games, but at the same time, it's not as deep as those in the story side, which is what my real investment goes for on those. But this was excellent. My favorite Ys game I've played, and I've had every one since the PSP era.

Bravo Falcom! Though I'd prefer if Falcom's games were localized by Xseed pretty much exclusively, Nisa's quirks showed through, haha.

The English VO was solid though, I enjoyed the cast at large, and the characters were great.

Agreed, Duren is the only good Dogi replacement. I like Sahad and everything but...hes no Dogi.

Only boss to give me trouble was the one at the bottom of the tower of silence, looks like I'm not the only one to take it on as soon as possible and run into a level 80 boss with a level 60 party!

Enjoyed not having to grind, and also that all the sidequests felt rewarding, even the fishing and cooking ones.

Does anyone know what you have to do to get the 'extraordinary adventurer' trophy? 'Proof that you thoroughly read "Periplus of the Gaete Sea," written by Adol Christin'. What does that mean exactly?

territory later on, the
ancient species
were a nice touch. Loads of the lesser characters really appealed to me too- Shoebill's gaze will be one I remember. Also,
Master Kong, and both seeing the young soldier grow and Dana's friendship with the head priestess in her time.

Just like some the cast, I wasn't sure whether I wanted to leave at the end. Great stuff.
Pretty sure that one is just the platinum, so you get it the same way as any other platinum

Quonny

The difficulty in the game makes no sense. I’m just barely into chapter 5 and there are two enemies on this map that have like 1.5k HP and deal 500 damage and one type of enemy that has like 6k HP and deals 1.4k damage. Both give similar loot and the weaker enemies give way more EXP. And the area before this had enemies that were way stronger than me but the actual dungeon was a joke, and the joke enemies gave more EXP.

I don’t get it.

Jolkien

Chapter 6
I'm missing 1 sidequest
in the present and 1 in the past. I'm now at Lofos Hill. Is it the end of the game ? All check marks are done on all Dana crystal and I did the recital quest

Mr.Jeff

Chapter 6
I'm missing 1 sidequest
in the present and 1 in the past. I'm now at Lofos Hill. Is it the end of the game ? All check marks are done on all Dana crystal and I did the recital quest
With Dana's one
there's another trip to the past with the crystal in the village right near the very end

Actually, speaking of Dana (late game spoiler):
she really does go through some rough shit throughout her past sections. The hardest hitting one was talking to one of the twin sisters after the meteor and discovering her sister that you spent the time with is dead. And then the mother comes in afterwards and starts screaming at you for her dead daughter.
Yeesh.

Bladenic

Lmao I'm at the OT title inspiration area.

But seriously, loving this game. I put the difficulty on hard forever ago (like Chapter 2) and I'm happy I did because the game is easy but it's so satisfying. Especially when you get a flash guard and dodge together and just own a boss. I'm guessing I have a good 10-15 hours left.

Big Hole should go down in history as a hilarious translation though.

I'm thinking of trying Ys 7 next. How does it compare to 8? The only other Ys game that I've played was Ys Origins (which was amazing too).
Seven and Ys VI both marked the start of their respective play styles ("party" and "solo-Adol"), but I much prefer how Seven plays. VIII really fixes a bunch of things prototyped and rough in Seven, but the latter game still has great dungeons and bosses, plus having only Flash Guard means you can't utterly cheese bosses like in Celceta later. Music's great, and the art-style holds up even with PSP graphics (which you can fix using the Joyoland HD texture mod). Definitely give it a shot when it goes on sale, which will probably happen this fall.

redcrayon

With Dana's one
there's another trip to the past with the crystal in the village right near the very end

Actually, speaking of Dana (late game spoiler):
she really does go through some rough shit throughout her past sections. The hardest hitting one was talking to one of the twin sisters after the meteor and discovering her sister that you spent the time with is dead. And then the mother comes in afterwards and starts screaming at you for her dead daughter.
Yeesh.
This is probably a silly question regarding Dana's quests now that I've finished it.
Was there a way to see which Eternian quests were available/remaining? I had 'x Quest complete' pop up when killing some large monsters as Dana, or interacting with events that cause something to affect the world later on, but was there ever anything to keep track of what was available outside of just looking for blue subquest icons on the map? I must have missed something obvious if there was. Vita version in case it matters.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I skip all the events in the game. So bad. Finally getting going though with Dogi on the beach managing my supplies

redcrayon

I skip all the events in the game. So bad. Finally getting going though with Dogi on the beach managing my supplies
I did find them overly long and repetitive in places, particularly when people decide they need to drag Adol off to apologise or say thank you, again and at length, for him being amazing and inspirational. "You're wonderful." "No, you're wonderful". "Let's keep working together, to the end!" (Repeat x 20) :D

I loved the game and Falcom's writing is better than a lot of RPGs, but although they are good at providing large casts of likeable, competent characters, it would be nice if they could start adding more minor character flaws or quirks that aren't quickly resolved (usually manifests as character has defrosting personality or character has irrational hatred of x quality), as if any character trait that isn't the party line of 'yay, power of teamwork!' is a weakness to be ironed out rather than a core part of someone's personality. Otherwise you end up like Ys VIII or Trails of Cold Steel, where you have such a large cast of hyper-competent, heroic, modest, friendly and effective npcs that you start to wonder whether they are too polite when they say they need the player. By the end of Ys VIII my camp had
Franz, Master Kong, Dogi, Griselda, the gladiator champion of the Roman Empire etc all hanging around, and even the stay-at-home mum, the tailor and the nun are apparently happily giving ancient species a right kicking in defence battles.
That seems a much stronger lineup for raw martial power than most of the party, to me it reduced the threat of the besieging beasts when even characters with a background of zero combat skills were rightfully worried in camp but joyfully engaging in combat a minute later.

All that is minor gripes though, and TBH I do find the generally heroic, upbeat, adventurous and optimistic themes of many of Falcom's games to be really refreshing. Sometimes I'd talk to Aaron without having any more of the map completed just to hear his disappointed tone of 'you didn't do much' for a pleasant change of pace, that was nicely done in terms of variety, and a level of subtlety I didn't expect. It was nice to have an character whose natural outer grumpiness wasn't resolved through having three conversations with a bunch of young adults.

paulpp

Neo Member
Seven and Ys VI both marked the start of their respective play styles ("party" and "solo-Adol"), but I much prefer how Seven plays. VIII really fixes a bunch of things prototyped and rough in Seven, but the latter game still has great dungeons and bosses, plus having only Flash Guard means you can't utterly cheese bosses like in Celceta later. Music's great, and the art-style holds up even with PSP graphics (which you can fix using the Joyoland HD texture mod). Definitely give it a shot when it goes on sale, which will probably happen this fall.

Thanks...will do.

Also want to mention that even the fishing was fun in this game and I never like fishing in RPGs! These guys really know how to make fun game mechanics. Although, it seems like they said "wonder what I caught" _before_ casting the rod....sort of annoying :)

Bladenic

I kind of expected a bit more from the story considering some praise that I saw. 75% of map completed, story is meh and characters are likable in the most basic way. Like yeah, there's nothing here that's offensive or annoying but it's hardly good/great.

redcrayon

Thanks...will do.

Also want to mention that even the fishing was fun in this game and I never like fishing in RPGs! These guys really know how to make fun game mechanics. Although, it seems like they said "wonder what I caught" _before_ casting the rod....sort of annoying :)
I always felt sorry for Sahad going "Im going to catch loads!' before rarely letting him do it :)

Also I'd like to question the castaway's task allocation theory in, when stranded on an island and fighting for survival, sending your only professional fisherman inland to survey the place full of dinosaurs that almost ate him on day one. As opposed to a) fishing for food to feed everyone and b) being one of the two surviving men of the sea present at the start protecting skills that might be very valuable later on. I think I'd have sent Dogi, a professional adventurer, inland instead!

paulpp

Neo Member
I always felt sorry for Saleh going "Im going to catch loads!' before rarely letting him do it :)

Also Id like to question the theory in, when stranded on an island and fighting for survival, sending your only professional fisherman inland to survey the place rather than a) fishing for food and b) being one of the two surviving men of the sea present, protecting skills that might be very valuable later on. I think I'd have sent Dogi, a professional adventurer, inland instead!

On the topic of things that bugged...every time Sahad said "I found a treasure chest", I wanted to punch him. _I_ found it...not you!!! :)

redcrayon

On the topic of things that bugged...every time Sahad said "I found a treasure chest", I wanted to punch him. _I_ found it...not you!!! :)
My wife was sitting next to me and happened to glance at the screen when Laxia, upon fishing in a swamp, with water up to her eyeballs and a large carnivore closing in underwater, cheerily said "It's going well!"

"I can see that", she said. "Believe it or not, this is an improvement on the party's aquatic fortune so far", I replied.

Really enjoyed fishing, mainly because I loved Shoebill. That thousand-yard stare. Luigi's got nothing on him.

Thud

I kind of expected a bit more from the story considering some praise that I saw. 75% of map completed, story is meh and characters are likable in the most basic way. Like yeah, there's nothing here that's offensive or annoying but it's hardly good/great.

I think it's great if you don't take it too seriously.

And you have to take into account that the original is better than the translation. Sure the framing of scenes is still the same, bit yeah I feel like it lost some of its flavor.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think it's great if you don't take it too seriously.

And you have to take into account that the original is better than the translation. Sure the framing of scenes is still the same, bit yeah I feel like it lost some of its flavor.

I second this notion

Bladenic

I always felt sorry for Sahad going "Im going to catch loads!' before rarely letting him do it :)

Also I'd like to question the castaway's task allocation theory in, when stranded on an island and fighting for survival, sending your only professional fisherman inland to survey the place full of dinosaurs that almost ate him on day one. As opposed to a) fishing for food to feed everyone and b) being one of the two surviving men of the sea present at the start protecting skills that might be very valuable later on. I think I'd have sent Dogi, a professional adventurer, inland instead!

Yeah, they really should've given us (ME anyway) a better reason as to why Dogi wasn't playable but Sahad replaced him.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Is there a particularly good place to farm energy stones? I need a bunch for weapon synthesis.
Baha tower final room, equip a break plus arm on ricotta and bandit dash/kill the big dudes and little dudes starting from top of staircase then tp back up to heal refresh room

Top Bottom