• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Community |OT| It's Time to D-D-D-D, D-D-D-D-Duel!

Kokonoe

Banned
ir1v1UYLqSOCQ.png

ibsu9LAKhbQsPe.gif

Rules and Guidelines
  • Please be respectful of others.

Children's Card Game

Yu-Gi-Oh! is a Card Game where your goal is to bring your opponents life points to 0 before they do it to you. There are four types of cards in their basic form. However, that's not to say this is all they are. There are multiple types of each of these, but I'll keep it simple.

These are very basic examples.
  • Normal Monsters - These cards are colored light brown.

A monster that has no effect, and can only defend or attack. It can also be used as a tribute to summon a more powerful monster. Although, both Normal and Effect monsters can be used as such unless stated other wise.

• Effect Monsters - These cards are colored dark brown.

A normal monster, but it has an effect as well. These effects vary, and can be practically anything.

• Trap Cards - These cards are colored purple.

These are cards that cannot be played the turn you set them on the field, but after your turn is over may you use them. However, they can only be used if an event of almost any kind (Drawing, Opponent sets a monster, you play another trap, etc). It just depends on the card itself and it's effect. These cards are called Trap Cards for a good reason, they're used to catch your opponent off guard and can have real devastating effects.

• Spell Card - These cards are colored green.

A spell card is the alternate of a Trap Card, it can only be used on your turn (unless stated otherwise) and usually has an instant effect. They are mainly used to benefit the user by obtaining more cards, or summoning a monster. Don't let that fool you, though. There are plenty of spell cards out there that deal offensive to your opponent.

If you're interested in learning the game, --> watch this video <-- and try out a Yu-Gi-Oh! video game.

Children's Card Video Games

DS
ibrF5mc3YPwwez.jpg
iDhTMw2OseEXk.jpg
ivuBllC2NKOgL.jpg
PSP
i46FzyIeU3WYn.png
it4A9O3FAqzol.jpg
iZuBvzbdpeU4U.jpg
ikyFsUcHIP2AI.png
Kkar5.jpg
tEzAj.png

isAju7B3FyEJR.jpg
L6y7x.jpg
ibttbmyU3h6Czx.jpg
ibkTRl7dLnaCp6.jpg
ibuQNQmlFJTFaC.jpg
tzJfU.jpg

Wii
iiLzJV4xFTDiR.jpg
iqTwxsKhHoAKE.jpg
ibyW4xv9AiIWhp.jpg
iFrmRYCSYvPq3.jpg
i3LWfbjwFKwjh.jpg
i2pEwZN4r5BtY.jpg

360 (XBLA)

iPzwAJCQ3lVY7.jpg
i5qaN2yClFXyD.jpg
iXw2ZUnFJhF7X.jpg
iOtCDSfMOOEje.jpg

DS
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's World Championship 2010: Reverse of Arcadia
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's World Championship 2009: Stardust Accelerator
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championship 2008
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championship 2007
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Spirit Caller
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubadour

PSP
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 4
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Tag Force 3
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Tag Force 2
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Tag Force

PS2
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Tag Force Evolution
Xbox
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dawn of Destiny

GBA
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Ultimate Masters: World Championship Tournament 2006
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Duel Academy
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! 7 Trials of Glory: World Championship 2005
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championship Tournament 2004
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Worldwide Edition: Stairway to the Destined Duel
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Reshef of Destruction
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! The Sacred Cards
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! The Eternal Duelist Soul

Children's Spinoff Video Games

• Wii - Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Wheelie Breakers (Yu-Gi-Oh! Kart essentially)
  • DS - Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Spirit Caller
  • PS2 - Yu-Gi-Oh! The Duelists of the Roses
  • PS2 - Yu-Gi-Oh! Capsule Monster Colosseum
  • GC - Yu-Gi-Oh! The Falsebound Kingdom
  • GBA - Yu-Gi-Oh! Dungeon Dice Monsters
  • GBA - Yu-Gi-Oh! Destiny Board Traveler
  • GBC - Yu-Gi-Oh! Dark Duel Stories
  • PS1 - Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories

How To Play Online
  • Dueling Network

A popular browser based unofficial Yu-Gi-Oh! game that has all the latest cards. Although you have to manually set the life points and cards through out the duel as it isn't automated.

• YGO Pro

An application based unofficial Yu-Gi-Oh! game that features a lot of cards, and is completely automated. No need to manually set life points or cards. This has a bright future.

Youtube video of YGOPro

-link dead-

• Over the Nexus (DS) and Duel Transer (Wii)

Both of these games allow playing Wi-Fi strictly off the DS and Wii.
Anime - Spoilers marked with spoilers.
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters - The show that started it all. (at least outside of Japan).

ibkUJUfuGdDIIG.jpg

3000 Years ago marked the turning point of an Egyptian Dynasty; the Pharaoh's spirit was sealed inside one of the ancient relics, the Millennium Puzzle, after saving the kingdom from an enemy army.

Now, in the present age, the Millennium Puzzle is found by a young boy, Yugi Muto, who unlocks the spirit of the puzzle and is possessed by the sprit of the old Pharaoh, who lost all of his memories from his old life. As a thank you to the spirit who saved him from bullies and gave him new friends, Yugi decided to help the spirit out and find a way to recover his lost memories.

• Yu-Gi-Oh! GX

i3wZboGOWIaOg.jpg

Ten years after the events of Duel Monsters, a teenage boy named Jaden Yuki heads off in order to join the Duelist Academy located on a remote island off the coast of Japan. There he meets his fellow students and gains a few friends, along with a few enemies.

Jaden is put into the lowest rank of Slifer Red, but he continues to test his skills against the students and faculty to prove his worth as a Academy Duelist and earn the respect of everyone around him.

• Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's (Five Dragons) - A really great anime, and my personal pick for second best in the series. If you liked the first(second) series, you'll most likely like this.

ibrTCSax1SJrNS.jpg

Many years in the future after the exploits of Yugi Muto, Domino City has become a shadow of its former self: Neo Domino City. There lies a strong divide between the rich and the poor, and bridging that gap proves to be difficult. Neo Domino seems fit to entertain itself with a wild new event called "Turbo Duels", the newest form of playing the ever popular Duel Monsters card game.

Enter Yusei Fudo, a young man who lives on the edge of the law, making his own rules. His desire to reclaim what is rightly his from an old friend turns into much more than what he and many of his newfound companions would have ever bargained for.

• Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

i3DFaqt3p6esE.jpg

The story takes place in the distant future and focuses on a boy named Yuma Tsukumo, the number one bad boy at his school. Something unexpected happens when Ryoga challenges him to a Duel as the mysterious ghost of Astral appears before them, a new legend begins.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I've been re-reading JoJo's Bizarre Adventure recently, and I remember reading an interview in the past that the creator of Yu-Gi-Oh was a big fan of JoJo, and I realized that Yu-Gi-Oh, especially the early chapters, is pretty much Stardust Crusaders + Diamond is Unbreakable.

But yeah, Yu-Gi-Oh, when are they going to make some new games for the 3Ds? The first thing upon seeing the AR Cards for me was thinking about how awesome a Yu-Gi-Oh game utilizing this feature would be.

And how is Zexal? I watched a few early episodes of it and, while not too exciting, I liked all the throw-backs to the original series and such. What's happened since then with it?

Kokonoe

Banned
I played the shit out of the first GBA game.

Also, dice game > card game.
I actually have the real Dice monsters play set somewhere. Interesting spin on Yu-Gi-Oh!.
Can't say I really got into it much myself.

Is Kokonoe the new username for G-Fex?
Kokonoe is Kokonoe. G-Fex is KOG.

I've been re-reading JoJo's Bizarre Adventure recently, and I remember reading an interview in the past that the creator of Yu-Gi-Oh was a big fan of JoJo, and I realized that Yu-Gi-Oh, especially the early chapters, is pretty much Stardust Crusaders + Diamond is Unbreakable.

But yeah, Yu-Gi-Oh, when are they going to make some new games for the 3Ds? The first thing upon seeing the AR Cards for me was thinking about how awesome a Yu-Gi-Oh game utilizing this feature would be.

And how is Zexal? I watched a few early episodes of it and, while not too exciting, I liked all the throw-backs to the original series and such. What's happened since then with it?

There's a good chance there won't be any Yu-Gi-Oh! games this year due to these reasons.

1. There isn't a game out already (which there usually is by now).
2. No games announced or mentioned.
3. No Nationals this year and with the Nintendo games being "World Championship" editions, that may hurt the chances.
4. 4Kids + Konami issues that were going on.

It's still possible, It's just not likely.

Haven't watched Zexal myself just yet, but the main has some pretty bad hair.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The anime was awesome up until the last season when they went back to ancient Egypt and had ancient Egyptian duel disks.

The real anime that is. Not the GX shit

Kokonoe

Banned
The anime was awesome up until the last season when they went back to ancient Egypt and had ancient Egyptian duel disks.

The real anime that is. Not the GX shit

Yeah, GX was certainly a step down. I'd suggest trying out 5D's as for someone who was out of Yu-Gi-Oh! for a while, it was very refreshing to see.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, GX was certainly a step down. I'd suggest trying out 5D's as for someone who was out of Yu-Gi-Oh! for a while, it was very refreshing to see.

I'll give it a look, but I'm really not sure how well I'll be able to swallow card games on motorcycles.

Delio

Whoa whoa GX was great in it's last two seasons. It's a shame the american show ended before they showed the next season..which left the show on a somber point.

Kokonoe

Banned
Whoa whoa GX was great in it's last two seasons. It's a shame the american show ended before they showed the next season..which left the show on a somber point.

I agree that GX improved quite a bit near the end, but for it to improve all the way then is kind of a problem.

Konami is going to own the rights to the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime soon, and they have the voice actors from 4Kids. They could very well finish off the series.

Delio

I hope they do. And I guess I get your point that it took till then for it to get better. But Season 3 really got me and all the crap Jaden went through.

anyone excited for Hidden Arsenal 6? can't wait to get Gem-Knight Pearl, Evigishki Merrowgeist, Daigusto Phoenix and Vylon Disigma without paying a lot for the cards on ebay

Kokonoe

Banned
anyone excited for Hidden Arsenal 6? can't wait to get Gem-Knight Pearl, Evigishki Merrowgeist, Daigusto Phoenix and Vylon Disigma without paying a lot for the cards on ebay

More Gishki support is fine with me. I haven't purchased cards in a few months, but I noticed Tour Guide from the Underworld dropped down significantly to like 13$. Definitely need to pick up some of those.

yeah at the locals i go to most people range it's price from 15-20 bucks. still a hell of a lot cheaper than the $140 it used to be

Wiseblade

This is the THIRD time someone has usurped one of my threads. I guess I better take the hint and just never make another thread ever again...

Kokonoe

Banned
As I mentioned in another thread, this is a Community thread kinda like the Sonic and Pokemon community threads. This thread also is about every aspect of the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I liked GX too...

I appreciated how it didn't take itself too seriously (and when it did, as in the latter half of Season 3, I didn't like it that much), and I loved the characters and goofy deck archetypes everyone was running around with. The E-Heroes, the D-Heroes, the Gem Beasts, those Fire Gun things, and the Tarot cards.

Season 1 was ho-hum, and the Shadow Riders, or whatever, were pretty shitty...but I liked the character arc of Sho and Manjyome, and the world building was cute.

Season 2 was probably my favorite, as the Society of Light was a pretty cool idea, and I loved when they went to Domino, and then the little tournament they had. Edo and Kenzan were also good additions, and there were some cool duels.

Season 3 is mixed...the first half, with O'Brien, Amon, Johan, and Jim was fun, and I loved the Zombie Arc as well. But once they went to the Duel Monster World and everyone began to die and everything...eh, I got bored of it.

Season 4, even though it was short, was actually pretty cool...loved the powers of the villain being able to rewrite memories basically, and the ending where a literal personification of death, a goat-face skull demon, was revealed to be destroying the world through a card game...it was just really cheesy, but in a way I loved. After just dropping Season 3, I came back to 4 and enjoyed it far more than I thought.

Big One

Banned
Ah, a community thread? Not a bad idea.

This game takes too much time out of my life goddamn.

Anyway has anyone got a chance to play around with the Atlanteans on DN? It's interesting to see now it's been officially released in Japan, the OCG is developing them a lot like a lot of people were when they first hit DN. I keep switching back and forth between certain cards as it's really difficult to pinpoint the perfect ratio of certain cards in any Atlantean deck. Some of the Mermail stuff works great, but I've been trying to stick exclusively to what's released for now.

Also you need to update that link for YGOPro. The correct website is this: http://percival18.blogspot.com/

Kisaya

Omg ;3

YGO was a big deal for me back in elementary school (yeah yeah, I'm pretty young). As embarrassing as it is to look back, me and a group of friends sorta ran an exclusive YGO fangirl club that was actually pretty popular. Whenever I run into people from elementary school they always bring that up, even those who I was never close with.
I was much more into the anime series (before GX lolz), and with the TCG I only liked collecting for the illustrations (Spellcasters were my fav hehe).
I had some of the GBA games (in fact, the first GBA game I was given was the dungeon dice monsters one haha) and I also had that one game for the DS.

Anyway, this is a pretty fun community OT. I'll drop in from time to time.

btw watch this, I literally almost cried from the nostalgia

P.S. There should be a link to the abridged series! As corny as it gets, it was one of my favorite parodies to watch haha

bigkrev

Are there any websites for card game strategy, kinda like starcitygames.com and channelfireball.com for Magic? Would love to read some strategy articles on the game- last time i shuffled up a deck, Dark Crisis was the newest set

Used to run shit at my local shop from Legend of Blue-Eyes through whatever set the E-Heroes were in. Good times. My favorite card is Yata Garasu, followed by Chaos Emperor Dragon. dealwithit.gif

Used to run shit at my local shop from Legend of Blue-Eyes through whatever set the E-Heroes were in. Good times. My favorite card is Yata Garasu, followed by Chaos Emperor Dragon. dealwithit.gif

I'll never forget watching one of my friends Yata lock another friend of mine, only for the second friend to play it out and win with Final Turn. Shit was beautiful.

I'll never forget watching one of my friends Yata lock another friend of mine, only for the second friend to play it out and win with Final Turn. Shit was beautiful.

Who attempts Yata locks when the opponent has any back row cards, seriously

-1 to the guy for Yata locking against an uncleared board

-1 to the guy for even running Last Turn

everyone loses

The only worse thing I can think of is my ghetto Manticore/Card of Safe Return/Exodia deck.

Anyone remember Magical Scientist? Best combo in any TCG. I killed a clueless opponent turn one in a regionals event (held before anything from Magician's Force was restricted lolupperdeck). The expression on his face was priceless. Yep, you just lost before the had the ability to play the game. How does that get past playtesting?

Kokonoe

Banned
Toon Decks. I rocked them.

Too bad the support stopped almost as soon as the good Toon Monsters were released. :(

Did you play with them in Pegasus's voice?

Man, I used to love Yugioh so much. I still have a soft spot for Duelist Kingdom.

Not as much into it now, cards are expensive.

I was out of the game when the first series ended. I got back into the game with Decade Duels on Xbox 360 in November 2010, and ever since than I've been back full force. (except for the past few months)

Now the game is no longer on the market place, but there are budget ways to play Yu-Gi-Oh! if you just don't feel like being the best there ever was. Although, the cheapest solution is to pick up one of the video games that has online play.

I suggest getting Over the Nexus as it's the latest english game that has Wi-Fi. It also has a story mode too where you get to create your own character.

Are there any websites for card game strategy, kinda like starcitygames.com and channelfireball.com for Magic? Would love to read some strategy articles on the game- last time i shuffled up a deck, Dark Crisis was the newest set

The pojo forum has a few sections with people dedicated for all types of strategies and archetypes.

vareon

You are a true duelist among duelist, sir.

Now this is a general thread about Yu-gi-oh!, right? Is Zexal worth watching? I looked at that super saiyan something main character and got interested, and I loved the first opening song.

Wiseblade

Normally I play Six Samurai and Jurracs, but I've always been fond of spellcaster decks and have been playing around with the new "magical/spellbook" archetype for the past couple of days. so far it's been pretty fun/interesting to use, but really unwieldy at times. hopefully the recruiter in Abyss Rising will help the deck flow better.

Who attempts Yata locks when the opponent has any back row cards, seriously

-1 to the guy for Yata locking against an uncleared board

-1 to the guy for even running Last Turn

everyone loses
The Yata lock happened around the 2nd turn, so my friend playing Last Turn didn't feel the need to put anything down onto the field yet. Friend A thought the game was over and kept asking Friend B to concede until...well, the Last Turn. The field was completely clear, it's just that Friend B had all the game winning pieces in her opening hand. That's what made it truly hilarious to us...except Friend A lol.
Did you play with them in Pegasus's voice?
A handful of times. Then I got stopped once better cards came out set after set after set with no support for me in sight.

Kokonoe

Banned
Did anyone have Music to Duel By?

No Matter What

It had a pretty solid soundtrack.

Normally I play Six Samurai and Jurracs, but I've always been fond of spellcaster decks and have been playing around with the new "magical/spellbook" archetype for the past couple of days. so far it's been pretty fun/interesting to use, but really unwieldy at times. hopefully the recruiter in Abyss Rising will help the deck flow better.

I always liked that the spell counter spellcaster type got this card.

lDeIo.png

And it's other variant are nice buffs for the archetype.

Kokonoe

Banned
So I downloaded YGOPro here. http://www.gamefront.com/files/21880594/YGO5D_s_Dawn_of_a_New_Era_exe and it's pretty good for a unofficial Yu-Gi-Oh! game, it's sorta like Tag Force.

There also wasn't a single card for the deck I made that was missing. This game also has TCG cards and the latest ones as well. It's also rather speedy and it's quite nice not having to manually input everything. I definitely would pick this over Dueling Network.

I also didn't notice the March 2012 Ban List occurred.

btw watch this, I literally almost cried from the nostalgia

I suggest everyone watch that video kisaya posted. It's amazing in every way.

I JAMMED TO THIS ALL THE TIME, OH GOD LOL.
Had dem CDs from dat McD's promotion B)

I believe that's how I got mine as well. Nothing like a song sang by Pegasus.

It's fabulous.

Kokonoe

Banned
Did anyone watch 3D Bonds Beyond Time? I actually saw it at the theaters when it was out. Pretty good movie too.

eNa7G.jpg

Kisaya

Did anyone watch 3D Bonds Beyond Time? I actually saw it at the theaters when it was out. Pretty good movie too.

eNa7G.jpg

I skimmed through it and it looked like a pretty fun movie. One of these days I'll watch it all with some old buddies if we're bored haha.

Kokonoe

Banned
Konami TCG Strategy Site for those asking about something similar earlier.

Semi-old, but not entirely old news.

Exclusive to North America

Coming soon to [insert store name]

Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG - Ra Yellow Mega-Pack Special Edition

Special Editions give Duelists the latest and greatest booster packs, plus foil variants of popular and hard-to-find cards. Duelists can get the best of all worlds, and go easy on their wallet! Great value and excellent content will make the Ra Yellow Mega-Pack Special Edition a must-have for players of all skill levels.

The cards in Ra Yellow Mega-Packs can be combined with cards in Generation Force and Legendary Collection 2: The Duel Academy Years to build powerful combos and Decks.

Each Ra Yellow Mega-Pack Special Edition will contain 3 Ra Yellow Mega-Packs and 1 Super Rare Variant Card

Super Rare Shi Ens for all.
JAIxf.jpg

Apparently there's a new Tin coming out too. I'll post when more information arrives.

I skimmed through it and it looked like a pretty fun movie. One of these days I'll watch it all with some old buddies if we're bored haha.

It's certainly worth a watch. Each character has their own moment to shine. It may not be the most top notch duel, but it's entertaining none the less.

I still need to complete Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's, but the duel with
Yusei VS Halldor
was very entertaining to watch. Certainly in the tops of best duels for me.

I probably should marathon the entire Yu-Gi-Oh! series.

Top Bottom