• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Community |OT2| You just activated my trap card!

zvaoJlp.png
Basic Rules
Draw Phase - the turn player draws 1 card from their Main Deck
Standby Phase - some card effects activate during this phase
Main Phase 1 - summon monsters, set or activate spells and traps
Battle Phase - attack with your monsters during this phase
Main Phase 2 - summon monsters (normal summon/set if you haven't), set or activate spells and traps
End Phase - declare the end of your turn, discard cards if you have more than 6, effects (that say: until the end of this turn) expire
Here's a tutorial from the 5D's era
som7f1g.png

Each player has a Main Deck (40-60) cards with Normal/Effect/Ritual/Pendulum Monsters, Spells, and Traps.
There is an optional Extra Deck (0-15) cards with Fusion/Synchro/Xyz Monsters.
A Side Deck (0-15) cards where you can change contents of Main/Extra Deck between Duels in a Match.
Each player starts with 8000 Life Points and 5 cards. On the 1st turn the 1st turn player does not get to draw a card.
You can only Normal/Set a monster once per turn, unless a card effect is activated that gives you an additional Normal/Set. You can Special Summon as many times as you want.

Winning a duel means getting your opponents Life Points to 0, however, there are alternative win conditions such as Destiny Board and Exodia.

3 of each card can be used in your decks unless it is part of the ban list.
Forbidden = 0
Limited = 1
Semi-Limited = 2
Unlimited = 3
TCG Forbidden & Limited List

Official Tournament Stores
US & Canada

Normal/Effect Monsters
Normal monsters don't have effects but they have some neat lore in place of effects. Effect monsters are orange cards that have a variety of effects that can turn the tide in a duel.
Lv. 1-4 can be normal summoned/set.
Lv. 5-6 can be summoned with 1 tribute/sacrifice
Lv. 7-12 can be summoned with 2 tributes/sacrifice unless the card specifies 3 like the Egyptian God Cards.
R4Pha20.png
wRJAnpU.png

Spell Cards
Green cards. Can be used immediately on your turn unless specified otherwise. Spell cards can be used to draw more cards, destroy monsters, destroy other spells and traps on the field. They basically have a variety of effects. There are several types of spells such as normal, quick-play, continuous, equip, and field spells.
1OvkvZm.png
EDCPuwM.png
RJWIe4j.png
BVHr9uR.png
cS5vFaM.png

Trap Cards
Purple cards. Cannot be used until they have been set on the field for at least 1 turn. Trap cards are usually used to disrupt your opponent whether it be preventing attacks or destroying monsters, spells, and traps. Just like spells, there are several types including normal, continuous, and counter traps.
Ct2czHw.png
XBvMuBS.png
871suIe.png

Ritual Monsters
Blue cards. They are in your Main Deck, so you have to have it in hand to summon it. Ritual monsters must be Ritual Summoned first by using a Ritual Spell Card. These usually require you to tribute monsters from your hand or field that equal the Level of the Ritual Monster. There are some Ritual Spell Cards that allow you to exceed the Level required for tribute.
axEvDyE.png
WGJ1KBT.png

Fusion Monsters
Violet cards. Usually uses Polymerization with the monster materials listed on the Fusion Monster. There are also other forms of Fusion Summoning such as Contact Fusion used in the Neos, Gladiator Beast, and Ritual Beast archetypes.
dkRDyop.png
JD33DcV.png

Elemental HERO Avian + Elemental HERO Burstinatrix + Polymerization = Elemental HERO Flame Wingman

Synchro Monsters
White cards. Adds up the levels from the Tuner monster used and the non-Tuner monsters.
VkKoKlM.png
a64neRi.png

Example: Lv. 3 Tuner + Lv. 5 non-Tuner = Lv.8 Synchro Monster

Xyz Monsters
Black cards. Use monsters with the same level to build the overlay network and summon an xyz monster. Monsters used in an xyz summon are stacked on the bottom of the xyz monster and detached when the xyz monsters effect is used. Xyz monsters do not have Levels, they have Ranks, meaning that they won't be affected by cards such as Level Limit Area B or Gravity Bind.
kvLPEXi.png
035bU4l.png

Lv. 4 Monster + Lv. 4 Monster = Rank 4 Xyz Monster

Pendulum Monsters
Orange/Blue cards. These monsters have two effects, a pendulum effect and monster effect. You can use the pendulum effect when they are placed in the pendulum scales. When Pendulum monsters are destroyed they are sent to the Extra Deck face-up.
3Fa67Yp.png

Pendulum Summon
There are two pendulum zones on the field, you place pendulum monsters on either one, depending on the scales of the pendulum monsters you can special summon (once per turn) from your hand monsters with the levels between your scales. If you have pendulum monsters in your Extra Deck face-up you can also special summon them along with your monsters from the hand.

Say I have a Lv. 7 Dark Magician in my hand and my pendulum scales are from 1 to 8, I can Special summon him using Pendulum summoning.

Here's a useful Tutorial

Link Monsters
T9kzTId.png

Introduced from the 6th installment of the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime, VRAINS. With these new monsters come rule changes, Pendulum Zones have been changed to the leftmost and rightmost Spell/Trap zones if you wish to use them as Pendulum Zones. Monsters summoned from the Extra Deck (including face up Pendulum monsters) must be summoned to the new Extra Monster Zone or to Monster Zones that a Link Monster's Link Markers point to. Summoning Link Monsters is pretty straightforward, there is a recipe you have to follow such as Decode Talker's "2 or more Effect Monsters" and you have to have the same amount of monsters as the Link, 3 in Decode Talker's case. You can bypass the amount of monsters required by using Link Monsters as the materials, for example Link 2 Honeybot and Link 1 Link Spider can net you Link 3 Decode Talker.

Here's a useful video detailing these changes

Ways to Play Online (not buying cards)

Dueling Network

Browser based unofficial Yu-Gi-Oh! game that has all the latest cards. Everything is manually controlled from life points to cards, gives you the sense that you are actually playing.
After a recent cease and desist from Nihon Ad Systems DN had to remove card images. It has been taken down until further notice unfortunately.

Devpro/Ygopro
8g4KMxK.png

Download based application that is also unofficial, has all the latest cards and is fully automated. Beware of bugs.

TCG/OCG News
nz0lUUK.png

Check out the The Organization (Ygorganization) for info on new cards as they get revealed/leaked!

Upcoming TCG Releases

LD1OD9s.png

Legendary Dragon Decks 10/6/2017
Circuit Break 10/19/2017
Stricture Deck: Cyberse Link 11/03/2017
Spirit Warriors 11/17/2017

Upcoming OCG Releases

Structure Deck R: Surge of Divine Light 9/23/2017
Extreme Force 10/14/2017

Anime
KSmtKXL.jpg

Manga
pBU2NgJ.jpg
I6EJR39.jpg
hun8uoz.png
EVkaXp9.jpg
Yhh08ke.png
eUVy6vZ.png

Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V |OT| Card Games on Hippos
Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist |OT| Yes, I did summon a bunch of monsters in one turn
Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links |OT| A Speedy Beatdown
Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS |OT| A Link Between Worlds

Regiruler

How's the game doing nowadays?

Kinda weird. The konami shakeup from a year ago definitely had a power creep reverberation in the game, and it's only just coming down from it recently.

There's a lot of nostalgia product for those who want it, although it's gotten a little overbearing.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I dont if its allowed to promote but maybe YGOPro should be mentioned in the OP for those who are over collecting physical cards

The exodia stuff is really fun though.

Oh that's right, the Exodia cards are in here. I didn't end up getting Yugi's Legendary Decks so this would be a good alternative!
I dont if its allowed to promote but maybe YGOPro should be mentioned in the OP for those who are over collecting physical cards
Done!
Those Yugi and Seto structure decks look like something I wouldn't play
The Union monster support is welcome at least.

bigkrev

Serious (hypothetical) question
If I wanted to go to my LGS and start playing in their competitive YGO weekly, and I owned zero cards, what is the minimum amount of money I would need to have a deck that, assuming I played well, could win the tournament?

Fj0823

If I wanted to go to my LGS and start playing in their competitive YGO weekly, and I owned zero cards, what is the minimum amount of money I would need to have a deck that, assuming I played well, could win the tournament?

$300 I think.

But Im casual play only, my life is much happier after I made that choice

ugoo18

Any place to preorder the upcoming movie pack cards?

I remember for MTG there were some places that were taking Battle for Zendikar preorders.

Sandfox

It depends on the kind of deck you want to play and how competitive your local tournament is.

Funny I started playing the PSP Yugioh game today, made a shitty 2005 fiend deck, old cards like Yami and Wall of Illusion. I will always have a soft spot for Yugioh.

EMT0

Banned

Well, Monarchs are meta atm and the majority of the deck is built on three copies of the structure deck, for Domain monarchs.

Throw in two copies of Kuraz the thunder monarch and you're looking at about $45 total. 75 if you wanna run Maxx Cs altho I'm not sure if Domain Monarchs even needs that. Domain Monarchs run no extra deck, so you don't have to worry about that.

Card Boy

Banned
So as new player what booster, intro decks i should be getting?

I bought this as it allows me and my bro to play.

latest

Yeah it may be shit but it at least it has the basics to get started. As mentioned in the last thread choosing what to buy is just overwhelming.

Sort of thinking of justing buying bulk off ebay.

Sandfox

latest

Yeah it may be shit but it at least it has the basics to get started. As mentioned in the last thread choosing what to buy is just overwhelming.

It really depends on the kind of deck you want to play and how much you want to spend. You could buy three of a recent structure deck and then build that up or completely build something from scratch. I don't really recommend buying booster packs though.

Regiruler

If you're doing that I'd put DN with an image server tag as well
You can probably build monarchs on a budget (probably withoutthe red layer though). I'd say $50 maybe?

EDIT: Definitely mention Ygorganization in the OP. They're a great news source and have some good intermediate level articles on occassion.

EMT0

Banned
It is.

Probably one of the best if not the best YGO anime

Seriously. I finally caught up and I can safely say it's the best Yugioh anime I've ever seen, and actually pretty damn good on its own merits.

latest

Generally speaking, going somewhere like TCGPlayer and buying an entire archetype(a set of cards that play together, tied by naming conventions or by supporting a specific naming, ex. Dark Magician, Dark Magician of Chaos, Dark Magician Girl) is far cheaper and more competitive than buying sealed products with the exception of most of the recent structure decks. If you're not sure what archetypes exist, you could go to the Yugioh wiki and either start browsing through booster packs, where it'll list a bunch of recent archetypes at the top, or simply go blind until you stumble on something you like.

YGOPro is a PC program you can use to test out these archetypes until you find something you like; I'd recommend doing this before dropping sizable amounts of money on a deck. What I'd personally recommend is doing the above, trying out something like Lunalights or Shiranui which are recent archetypes, or alternatively picking up two or three copies of the recent structure decks; Emperor of Darkness, Master of Pendulum, Synchron Extreme, and HERO Strike are all very strong and definitely things you can slowly build on if you so choose. I wouldn't recommend one of you going for booster archetype and another going for a several copies of a structure deck, as in all likelihood the the structure decks would outclass whatever you get from boosters outside of Kozmo or Burning Abyss; Emperor of Darkness' archetype, Monarchs, is top-tier atm, and Master of Pendulum(Odd-Eyes Magicians) and HERO Strike(Masked Heroes) are rogue, with Synchron Extreme(Synchro Fusionist) being able to do some rather crazy and elaborate combos.

Personally, I'd recommend picking up Master of Pendulum for the both of you; it's legitimately one of the funnest decks I've ever played and it's hard to end up in a situation with absolutely no possibilities of a comeback. It uses XYZ, Fusion, and Synchro which are all important game mechanics to learn. That plus playing both with it and against it will help you learn the deck faster as well as become acclimated to the current speed of the game.

As far as bang for buck goes?

Structure Decks >>> TCGPlayer/Ebay/Trollandtoad Singles >> Booster Packs >>> Bulk off Ebay

General rule of thumb is buy in bulk or specific cards if you want to save on costs. Booster boxes are far cheaper than individual packs, and buying singles is super cheap compared to booster boxes as you only get what you want.

Graydle's get a new tuner!
DNCKCi0.jpg

INOV-JP030 Graydle Slime Jr.
Level 2 WATER Aqua-Type Tuner Effect Monster
ATK 0
DEF 2000
(1) When this card is Normal Summoned: You can target 1 “Graydle” monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that monster, and then you can Special Summon 1 Aqua-Type monster of the same Level from your hand., but you cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of this turn, except WATER-Type monsters.
(2) When this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 “Graydle” monster from your Deck.

https://ygorganization.com/inov-graydle-slime-jr/

Playsage

YGOGaf, what is the most popular era in the community metagame-wise?

As a non-competitive ex fan I stopped caring after the 5Ds era, but was fond of the GX's one

Regiruler

YGOGaf, what is the most popular era in the community metagame-wise?

As a non-competitive ex fan I stopped caring after the 5Ds era, but was fond of the GX's one
It's defined by list formats, not eras. There's way too much variation to agree on a specific 3 year period (zexal was all over the place, from some good formats to some really bad ones).

And probably goat format is the most well liked. Slap anyone who says teledad.

Dahbomb

Rank the YGO anime series please.

I am going to try to watch all of them after the original series (which I have seen all of).

Wichu

Rank the YGO anime series please.

I am going to try to watch all of them after the original series (which I have seen all of).

I think consensus is that 5Ds and Arc-V are the best, and Zexal is the worst. Someone who's actually seen them can probably give a more detailed review :)

EDIT: ^

Wichu

I hope I'm not the only person hoping for purple/pink Dark Magician to appear more often. It looks like blue/red is the default colour, with purple/pink only showing up on anime cards :(

My order of preference:
Purple/pink clothes with brown skin and purple hair (anime/SDY Dark Magician)
Red/gold clothes with brown skin and white hair (Arkana Dark Magician)
Blue/silver clothes with blue skin and white hair (Takahashi Dark Magician)
Blue/red clothes with blue skin and blond hair (standard Dark Magician)

Basically I think blue skin makes it look tacky.

EMT0

Banned
Graydle's get a new tuner!
DNCKCi0.jpg

INOV-JP030 Graydle Slime Jr.
Level 2 WATER Aqua-Type Tuner Effect Monster
ATK 0
DEF 2000
(1) When this card is Normal Summoned: You can target 1 “Graydle” monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that monster, and then you can Special Summon 1 Aqua-Type monster of the same Level from your hand., but you cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of this turn, except WATER-Type monsters.
(2) When this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 “Graydle” monster from your Deck.

https://ygorganization.com/inov-graydle-slime-jr/

Pretty excited for this card since I have a Graydle deck. I gotta get around to actually implementing Kaijus before then since my current pure build can be a bit bricky.

I hope I'm not the only person hoping for purple/pink Dark Magician to appear more often. It looks like blue/red is the default colour, with purple/pink only showing up on anime cards :(

My order of preference:
Purple/pink clothes with brown skin and purple hair (anime/SDY Dark Magician)
Red/gold clothes with brown skin and white hair (Arkana Dark Magician)
Blue/silver clothes with blue skin and white hair (Takahashi Dark Magician)
Blue/red clothes with blue skin and blond hair (standard Dark Magician)

Basically I think blue skin makes it look tacky.

The Yugi Mega Tin for 2016 will have Ultra Rare versions of the SDY Dark Magician.
each tin includes 2 Ultra Rare variant cards of Yugi/Kaiba themed cards, including Dark Magician and Blue-Eyes White Dragon, in their Ultra Rare foil technology (a combo not available since their first appearance in the 2002 Yugi & Kaiba Starter Decks).

But yeah, all the new Dark Magician support in The Dark Illusion features the standard Dark Magician.

Card Boy

Banned
I bought a 2 booster boxes as they where on massive sale here in Aus at a local game shop. Secrets of Eternity Super Edition was $100 off down from $135 to $32 and I got World Superstars box at 50% off to. Will pick up on weekend I guess.

AlanOC91

Guys, does anyone here play YGOPRO or DevPro? I've created a site about 4 days ago now for the Yu-Gi-Oh community to share/download decks for these programs.

Been a huge hit for me so far and the community has reacted amazingly. Over 10k site visits after 4 days, I'm shocked.

If any of you want to check it out, you can find it here. I've recently added HTTPS to the whole site!

Guys, does anyone here play YGOPRO or DevPro? I've created a site about 4 days ago now for the Yu-Gi-Oh community to share/download decks for these programs.

Been a huge hit for me so far and the community has reacted amazingly. Over 10k site visits after 4 days, I'm shocked.

If any of you want to check it out, you can find it here. I've recently added HTTPS to the whole site!

I play ygopro everyday and this is awesome! One thing that would be cool though is if you could restrict decklists by banlist and by the available card pool (TCG vs OCG). I play with friends and we play strictly with TCG legal cards only.

EMT0

Banned
Normally I never link any kind of video, and I especially don't enjoy YGOPro replays but goddamn it this is too fucking funny and actually good to not link. From the plays, to the humor, to the music. If none of that sticks with you....at least go to 2:10 and watch the play. Jaw on the floor levels of crazy.

This is now my favorite Yugioh Youtuber by miles.

How to Play Madolche 101

Top Bottom