• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki interview: Shenmue III models temporary, facial animation removed 1mo ago

Synless

The game could come out like this and I would still be happy as long as the gameplay and story delivers. Shit, they could have released it on the original engine and I would have been happy.

IzzyF3

Are they developing this internally? If so, I wished they went the Comcept/Mist Walker/Yoko Taro route and have a 3rd party handle all the technical duties.

- How Suzuki-San can know that his game will be 30 hours long, but hasnt decided yet, if there should be flashback sequences (which presumably are videos) is puzzling as well. But ok, lets give him that benefit of a doubt.
Well , he is the director , the writter and one of the game designers . so who else is supposed to know about the scope of shenmue 3 aside from him ?

ianpm31

Right, you see this is always the problem with these Big Name Kickstarters when its just that one name. Yu Suzuki did incredible things at Sega. With his teams. Of also very talented people. The budgets he enjoyed for OutRun and Space Harrier were obviously not Shenmue level, but they were still notable. This stuff was still cutting edge technology being produced by one of the hottest shit videogame software and hardware developers on the planet.

Yu Suzuki in the modern era has none of that. It's the opposite of Kojima waltzing out of Konami with almost his whole team intact. A lot of said Sega/AM2/Shenmue teams either stayed on at Sega (Yakuza and those facial animations eh!) or similar jobs at other companies. Those that didn't either faded into obscurity and have come back to make stuff for the first time in like 17 years. That's... a lot of rust to shake off. While also adapting to "this is all the money, there isn't any more".

Now when it was early days, many hoped, me included, Yu would be able to put together a competent team and launch right into production and just really knuckle down on asset creation so we could get the biggest world possible. Skip to today and core animation systems have just been chucked out and all the character models look pretty shit after 2 years. Even the 2 main characters. That's... you know thats bad news for a project with 1 or 2 years more of dev left.

In retrospect, this game being made in Japan was a problem. There just isn't the same indie culture of amateur devs over there just waiting to stumble into the right project as there is in the west, and perhaps particularly Europe. If you're good at 3d animation you're already at Sega/Square/Capcom/Platinum etc. This IS going to be made by students fresh outta college, and perhaps even more problematically, they're being directed by someone that is also having to relearn how to make this sort of game after 17 years. Someone who's perfectionism drove Shenmue's budget into absurd realms and doesn't seem to be delegating well all those years later.

You are making a lot good points and I definitely see where you are coming from but before we judge Shenmue 3/Yu Suzuki let's wait until we get a final product.

I love Sega and but I also HATE Sega. They are to blame for what they did to Yu Suzuki by basically locking him up for many years and having him play the role of an "adviser" before he eventually left. These are years that Yu cannot get back all because of Sega's horrible decisions. First Shenmue sold over million copies on a failing 10 million install base then they release Shenmue 2 in the final dying year of the dreamcast in Japan and Europe. Then signs a deal with MS to put S2 on the xbox in which giving the game no chance to succeed. So Sega seems to blame this situation on Yu Suzuki and the Shenmue ip when in fact they are to blame for these horrible decisions.

2-3 years later after Shenmue 2 they give Nagoshi a chance to make his own game. Putting it on the ps2 where that makes sense and then proceeds to make many Yakuza's. After 10 yakuza games later the ip is still not as popular as Shenmue. Sega is too stupid to realize that. Both ip's could co-exist at sega. I could rant about Sega for day's but I'll stop there lol

A guy who is easily in the top 10 game creators of all-time and you're talking about delivering.

I highly disagree with Yu Suzuki being easily in the top ten. He isn't in my top ten for sure, and I'm looking forward to Shenmue 3 despite all of the negativity in this thread.

openrob

6qL7BZU.gif

This is not Yu Suzuki and AM2 and the best and brightest Sega have to offer working on Shenmue 3. This is whoever he could get at the time. With environments, they got good, but with character modelling and animating, they got bad. If they can fire and re-hire due to enough noise being made over how unacceptable this stuff looks, now is the time. Coaching everything in "well its not done yet!" is how average shit like Mighty No 9 crawls out and people either pretend to be blindsided or actually are.

I do want to counter some of what you are saying about the team being "Whoever he could get at the time" because they have on board the

Original Lead Programmer
Original Screenplay/Script Writer
Original Character design artist
Original Composer

Plus I don't think Yu had to scrape the bottom of the barrel, I am sure there were hundreds of portfolios sent his way following release. I guess the issue is the team being new.

Honestly I don't see Yu Suzuki hiring any joe bloggs (following an interview plus submission of a portfolio) without knowing if they are up to scratch.

p.s. I left the gif in becuase it is hilarious.. That stream was magical.

At this point im convince some people just want to be outrage about something. If the game is in a similar state one year from now, ill be there with you.

We now have interviews confirming everything most of us assumed right away when we finished watching the trailer.

If some of you are stil outrage despite everything the developers have said and you backed the project, ask for your money back??

At this point im going to buy some pop corn and enjoy the rest of the hysterical comments.

I think the doom and gloom from some in this thread and on this board is hilariously misguided.

Chill out. There's still no evidence that it's going to be great, nor any evidence that it'll be bad. Nonexistent facial animation and some cool environments is a glimpse behind the curtain, not a sizzle reel trailer. It's an assurance that yes, Yu Suzuki didn't take the money and run, yes, there's a game in development, but that's about it.

The first story trailer and first gameplay trailers will actually say a little bit (but maybe only a little bit!) about the quality of the game. But we aren't there yet, so hold your horses

zeopower6

Honestly I don't see Yu Suzuki hiring any joe bloggs (following an interview plus submission of a portfolio) without knowing if they are up to scratch.

p.s. I left the gif in becuase it is hilarious.. That stream was magical.

Also I believe he said that he specifically had to go through and screen the hires himself so they have his approval at least.

I still hope that I am wrong - but just campaigning for people to "not look at the omens" is not what I am very likely to support.

This is a rational reflection of the proceedings..

"Have faith!"
"Just wait."
"Believe!"
and
"He can fix all of it, he still has time and some money..."

aren't necessarily.

There isn't much that we can do besides wait and there is still time after all. I think it's rather annoying that some people who have backed this have seemingly never backed a KS game before. There are delays usually, things are shown even if they aren't perfect so that you can see progress. It's just like... calm down and wait. If the game is still in this state a year from now when they begin to promote the game in 2018, then I will also start worrying but until then, I have faith.

orient

Neo Member
I want at least someone to give a shit about moving away from the Virtua engine for the fighting mechanics.

It was made pretty clear from the first time Yu Suzuki mentioned combat, back in 2015, that we weren't getting the Virtua engine. He said he wanted the combat to be more cinematic, not as hard to learn, and make the moves easy to pull off instead of button combos. That could be why no one seems too surprised.

In retrospect, this game being made in Japan was a problem.

I love how the game is in turmoil because they showed a trailer too early. People sure can cook up wild, baseless speculation if they're bored enough. Dev admits game development is hard. Shocking.

Honestly, the only thing that bums me out a bit from this interview is the confirmation of forklifts. Initially Yu Suzuki said it didn't make much sense to have them in Shenmue III, but because the internet wouldn't shut up about forklifts we're now getting them, I guess. As far as side activities go, forklift driving is fine and mildly satisfying, but it was also way overdone in Shenmue. I doubt it'll be more than an optional thing in Shenmue III but still, I can't help but see it as a pointless "for the luls" addition. They could've spent that time on something new.

It was made pretty clear from the first time Yu Suzuki mentioned combat, back in 2015, that we weren't getting the Virtua engine. He said he wanted the combat to be more cinematic, not as hard to learn, and make the moves easy to pull off instead of button combos. That could be why no one seems too surprised.

Ah I must have missed that, thanks. I hope it still has reasonable depth though

I love how the game is in turmoil because they showed a trailer too early. People sure can cook up wild, baseless speculation if they're bored enough. Dev admits game development is hard. Shocking.

Honestly, the only thing that bums me out a bit from this interview is the confirmation of forklifts. Initially Yu Suzuki said it didn't make much sense to have them in Shenmue III, but because the internet wouldn't shut up about forklifts we're now getting them, I guess. As far as side activities go, forklift driving is fine and mildly satisfying, but it was also way overdone in Shenmue. I doubt it'll be more than an optional thing in Shenmue III but still, I can't help but see it as a pointless "for the luls" addition. They could've spent that time on something new.

I got the sense that it was going to be a very minor thing. Given the amount that it's gets raised by detractors (often as the only thing people can come up with, often indicating they haven't actually played the game) i think it indicates that he's coming from a healthy self aware place on this and will be bel to see (and address) the series' flaws

MaddenNFL64

I dropped $80 on this when the kickstarter launched, so I was all in from the get go.

If it's a failure, at least it exists.

IrishNinja

forklifts confirmed!!

WE GOT OURSELVES A BALLGAME, PEOPLE

*edit fuck me here's Pie and Beans on about how industry legend Suzuki doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt despite literally building genres because reasons

Mighty No 9's

has sweet fuckall to do with this project

In retrospect, this game being made in Japan was a problem. There just isn't the same indie culture of amateur devs over there just waiting to stumble into the right project as there is in the west, and perhaps particularly Europe. China and Korea even have better teams ready for dev like this. If you're good at 3d animation in Japan you're already at Sega/Square/Capcom/Platinum etc. This IS going to be made by students fresh outta college, and perhaps even more problematically, they're being directed by someone that is also having to relearn how to make this sort of game after 17 years. Someone who's perfectionism drove Shenmue's budget into absurd realms and doesn't seem to be delegating well all those years later.

this is an embarassing mess of words from someone who not only knows nothing about suzuki's team or the development process here, but true to character, speaks with some imagined authority about industry realities & how things are playing out

we could fill an entire area in Bailu Village with all the nonsense you're spewing here

we could fill an entire area in Bailu Village with all the nonsense you're spewing here
Ayyyyye

Didn't Suzuki say in one of these recent interviews WHY he took things out and why he released a early trailer? Felt like I read that recently and seeing some of the responses early on in this thread, it came out a few days ago.

*edit fuck me here's Pie and Beans on about how industry legend Suzuki doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt despite literally building genres because reasons

yup. I think it's the same thing that happened with TLG - it's certainly worth having a critical eye toward this project (as if this game won't be subject to overwhelming scrutiny on release) but some of the points being raised in this thread are just head spinning in their logic

Awesome thanks, I'll add to the OP

Edit: interesting new tidbit about the reason for the removal of the animation - they changed the facial bone structure and it caused problems so they had to remove it re do it

Someone mentioned why they still used these models for promotional materials if they're different. Well, if they used more recent models for promotional usage, people would complain about why they weren't in the trailer. It would come off as trying pass something off that wasn't in the game. It's another damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I think a lot of people don't realize what the series means to some of the fans. I know I would have been over the moon if it came to it and they just released a basic still animation giving us the rest of the story. We're getting an actual game and for a lot of passionate fans, that's more than enough to give the benefit of the doubt. Of course a game should still be fun and enjoyable to play, but a lot of people who aren't fans or are new to the series don't understand how amazing this all is to some of us. Shenmue never became about the graphics or state of the art animation, it was about Ryo and his journey that we all love. I know I'm willing to look past animation or character models (that are still going to be worked on) and play something I've been waiting over 10 years for.

Jcgamer60

New interviews provide quite a bit of insight in the future prospects of this project

http://metro.co.uk/2017/08/28/shenm...can-make-the-whole-game-you-imagined-6885083/

GC: Existing fans obviously love the game, but what I wonder is how younger players react to this style of game. How closely are you sticking to the style of the originals?
YS: Shenmue has always been very unique, I think, and so there’s nothing else that’s very similar. But I do not think it’s a problem overall as what has changed in the modern games world is that people are now used to playing different types of games that may not be action-based and have a lot of story. Shenmue may still feel strange to them at first [laughs] but I hope that in itself will be attractive to many people, and that they will find it interesting for that reason.
The style of game will be very similar to the original, but we will of course be adding some new features as well. The style of control from the original game is one thing that will be updated, but that is natural given modern controllers and the advance of that type of technology.

C: And on that point, my major concern is that the original was for a long time the most expensive video game ever made. But even with the record Kickstarter support the budget for Shenmue III seems a lot smaller.
YS: As you know open world games cost a lot! [laughs] So it is challenging for me to deal with the budget issue. Even after we completed the Kickstarter project I have been looking for other partners to join us and as you know we have now partnered with Deep Silver. So I’m now comfortable in saying, ‘Don’t worry, I can make the whole game you imagined!’ Even if the sense of size cannot compare with the biggest open world games, that is impossible without a much bigger budget.

New interview by Multiplayer.it

If I rely on Google Translate:

- YSnet is targeting 3D character models with a "significantly higher" complexity than what we saw in the teaser. Multiplayer.it actually saw these models although they did not have textures.

(Taken from Spaghetti over at the Shenmuedojo)

That VG247 interview really is gold:

So… I want to ask about the legacy of the series. Where do you see it going from here? Do you see this as… you doing a coda, or do you see it as the start of something new for Shenmue?

Translator: That’s a tough question!

Suzuki: Hmmm…! I’m not sure we can continue the so-called legacy of the series. I know that… of course, there are a lot of Shenmue fans, and I’ve been hearing a lot of requests from people that no matter what the style or no matter what it is, they just want more Shenmue. I’m not sure if I can make a legacy or not, but I will say that it’ll be far better than nothing – I just want to entertain.

I think that probably after we finish this, the next one, Shenmue 4 – it will be coming. I have to do something – I have to start something – so the next one will come.

I think that's literally the closest we're going to get to "Shenmue 4 confirmed" prior to the actual announcement. Awesome to see!

New interviews provide quite a bit of insight in the future prospects of this project

http://metro.co.uk/2017/08/28/shenm...can-make-the-whole-game-you-imagined-6885083/

GC: Existing fans obviously love the game, but what I wonder is how younger players react to this style of game. How closely are you sticking to the style of the originals?
YS: Shenmue has always been very unique, I think, and so there’s nothing else that’s very similar. But I do not think it’s a problem overall as what has changed in the modern games world is that people are now used to playing different types of games that may not be action-based and have a lot of story. Shenmue may still feel strange to them at first [laughs] but I hope that in itself will be attractive to many people, and that they will find it interesting for that reason.
The style of game will be very similar to the original, but we will of course be adding some new features as well. The style of control from the original game is one thing that will be updated, but that is natural given modern controllers and the advance of that type of technology.

C: And on that point, my major concern is that the original was for a long time the most expensive video game ever made. But even with the record Kickstarter support the budget for Shenmue III seems a lot smaller.
YS: As you know open world games cost a lot! [laughs] So it is challenging for me to deal with the budget issue. Even after we completed the Kickstarter project I have been looking for other partners to join us and as you know we have now partnered with Deep Silver. So I’m now comfortable in saying, ‘Don’t worry, I can make the whole game you imagined!’ Even if the sense of size cannot compare with the biggest open world games, that is impossible without a much bigger budget.

You missed the best bit:

GC: [looking at notes] I was going to ask whether you wanted to apologise for inflicting QTEs on the world, but suddenly that seems very disrespectful.

YS: [laughs]

Hi! I did the VG247 interview, so thanks for the kind comments. I was really pleased to get to chat to Suzuki, big fan and all that.

Wanted to elaborate a little on the facial test demo thing I saw - basically, it was the old models, the ones we saw before (IE, the 'off' Ryo) and Suzuki casually showed me a video that was a couple of minutes long where we just saw a bit of everything, from exaggerated teeth-clenched anger to more subtle expressions, then the same again for Shenhua. Suzuki kept saying "ignore the models, but this is the type of animation we're working on, ignore the models though".

I say 'fairly decent' and I don't want anybody to excitedly extrapolate that to 'mind blowing' - it's mega early stuff but it looked like with some work they might be on track to end up on par with other open world RPG-y games, basically. What I gathered from Suzuki was that when they changed the character models the bone structure changed and that meant they had to retool the facial animations and didn't have time for this demo. It looked okay, though, and hopefully they can match or exceed that in the final game. PR told me after the interview he hadn't shown anyone else that video all week (and this was the end of the second-to-last day), so I don't know if anyone else saw it.

Loudninja

Hi! I did the VG247 interview, so thanks for the kind comments. I was really pleased to get to chat to Suzuki, big fan and all that.

Wanted to elaborate a little on the facial test demo thing I saw - basically, it was the old models, the ones we saw before (IE, the 'off' Ryo) and Suzuki casually showed me a video that was a couple of minutes long where we just saw a bit of everything, from exaggerated teeth-clenched anger to more subtle expressions, then the same again for Shenhua. Suzuki kept saying "ignore the models, but this is the type of animation we're working on, ignore the models though".

I say 'fairly decent' and I don't want anybody to excitedly extrapolate that to 'mind blowing' - it's mega early stuff but it looked like with some work they might be on track to end up on par with other open world RPG-y games, basically. What I gathered from Suzuki was that when they changed the character models the bone structure changed and that meant they had to retool the facial animations and didn't have time for this demo. It looked okay, though, and hopefully they can match or exceed that in the final game. PR told me after the interview he hadn't shown anyone else that video all week (and this was the end of the second-to-last day), so I don't know if anyone else saw it.
Good stuff dude thanks for this.

I know they will improve the models and all the things I read about the game makes me happy, but the only thing I'm worried about is the combat system since Yu said it will be different to previous games, but overall, I can't wait.

UrbanRats

QTEs in Shenmue are fantastic.
They were one of my favorite parts, back in the day.

Other developers didn't do them as well, but that's not Suzuki's fault.

Jcgamer60

I love the fighting engine in Shenmue. All we can do is have faith that it will retain at least some of the charm of the prior Virtua engine.

Top Bottom