• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yusuf Mehdi: In the long run our console will win

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I understand that there are moments when you want to have the physical product, as with children at Christmas, you do not have patience to download.
Did he just call people who don't or can't download 40Gb files impatient children?

me neither.

ryse, forza 5, Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3, Sunset Overdrive, Kinect sports heroes (preshow), Halo (does that even count?)
below (MS published?), titanfall (timed)

thats 9, of which I think only 7 are proper exclusive and one is just a name.

they announced 15 first party games would be coming in the first 12 months, Sony announced 20

I don't see how you get anywhere near 17 exclusives or Sony not being able to say the same because they said 20. Odd.

it does? Here is MS's own list of 'all games announced at E3'. Can you point out the 17 exclusive ones? Unless they're talking about exclusive DLC bullshit.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/e3/e3-xbox-one-games

How dare you forget LocoCycle? The game that will make every stupid Xbone policy worthwhile.

Seriously, I've been dumping on the game for a while, but I honestly had never seen something so shitty being shown at E3 while trying to make me think it was somehow awesome.

Well, there's that then.

I also think, just because Sony didn't show their first years lineup, doesn't mean they don't have a first years lineup. They said 20 exclusives coming from their first party stable in the first year. With 30 in development.

Gotta admit, that's a big part of why I'm getting PS4.

DBT85

It's like all MS executives are channelling that 2005-2007 Sony executive spirit.

Seriously, what the fuck is going on over at Redmond, is there something funny in the water?

It's like a mysterious spirit wandered from Sony HQ over to MS HQ altering their brains like some Star Trek episode and after it left Sony HQ they could all see clearly again.

Wait, someone DID move.....

GQman2121

Banned
I love the way his response is just so casual. "Just use a mobile" to make sure your videogame machine will allow you to play the videogames that you've purchased.

At no point have they explained any benefit as to why this connection is mandatory.

In fact, Arthur Gies is the first person that I've heard explain what the cloud can be doing to benefit development. On Weekend Confirmed he mentions that games will have entire AI portions outsourced and computed on the cloud leaving the machine to handle other tasks. How much of that is true is beyond me, but that is the first example that I've heard that didnt sound like complete bull shit.

About the games, Sony said they will have 20 exclusive first-party games in the FIRST YEAR. And you know what's crazy? We only know about FIVE of them so far. So there's still so many surprises in store for us. We already know nearly all of MS's lineup.

This is the difference with Sony and Microsoft. Microsoft will just throw money at the issue to get the exclusive rights to a game. Or even for a limited-time deal where the game will come out to another console in a year or two.

Sony however has a nice portfolio of first party developers who have put out some solid titles. Naughty Dog currently being probably the best. They're smart and didn't show off everything they had. There's still TGS and of course next E3 to show off the rest of the games coming out.

I own both a PS3 and 360. I use the 360 more since I like the controller more and I have a lot more friends on there to play multiplayer with. But I did buy my PS3 primarily for the exclusive games that do come out like Metal Gear Solid 4, God of War 3, Twisted Metal, Gran Turismo and so forth. And backwards compatibility too, because my PS2 died and like hell I was going to buy another.

Most of the games Microsoft has exclusive to them isn't really worth my time to get their console for. Halo I can pass on since to me since Reach was a great way to end it for me. Titanfall is coming to PC. Forza I can live without. Dead Rising looks to take a turn from the fun campyness of the original to something else.

Mokubba

Not only did Sony not blow their load, they also released quite a few exclusives for the PS3 this year so all of their devs haven't even jumped to the PS4.

But when that happens...

Having no idea who Mehdi is, it's funny that I correctly guessed which company he works for based on the arrogance in the thread title.

It's mr Kinect/tv/Sports of the xbox brand .

yusuf-640x423.jpg

eastmen

Banned
I love it, one guy will say you need 1.5mb connection on the xbone and then others tell you to tether your phone, when has 3G ever hit 1.5mb for people? also internet bills.

you need a 1.5mb connection for gaming and voice chat. An online check would take a few kilobytes total.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Between this and what Larry Hyrb said, I get the feeling they're a little overconfident about their software lineup. I think they honestly thought that everyone would drop their misgivings once they saw the games at their E3 conference and it would be smooth sailing from then on.

In answer to the question:
Is not it excessive to have to connect at least every 24 hours for it to work?

No. It is a mere connection to check who the user is and what is in your account. It doesn´t require a powerful connection. Just use a mobile for the check.

It's like they're clueless as to why people don't like this. Holy christ.

jaypah

I can't really see any other way for this guy to answer these questions without losing his job. Must suck to have to constantly try to make this thing sound appealing.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
As has been said A MILLION times before:

They need to shut people up
They need to rethink PR strategy

They seem so arrogant and delusional and dismissive of serious concerns and questions

We need some kind of common identifier for these threads, like "XB1 PR | xxx xxx xxx." Would make things easier to sort through and such.

(And I only suggest XB1 abbreviation in interest of fairness; Xbone is the real abbreviation, as we all know)

Kusagari

The best thing about the tethering "solution" is that 1. they act like it's something everyone knows how to do easily (which the average consumer clearly doesn't) and 2. they act like everyone's mobile phone plan/carrier lets them tether for free.

So to use an Xbone I need a gold subscription, internet and a mobile tethering plan for my phone in case my internet goes out.

Denzar

So basically they gave up on early lead and marketshare. How do they even think they're able to win in the long run.

To be fair. The same happened to Sony and PS3 at the start of last console generation. They caught up as well, and practically used the same statment.

Bumhead

Banned
I'm just trying to work out what titles Yusuf Medhi is even talking about. He's probably counting World of Tanks and Minecraft as well...

Considering Titanfall is consistently referred to as an exclusive by Microsoft I hate to think what their definition of the term extends to.

Titanfall, so exclusive it's on 2 different consoles and PC.

I can't believe they're saying people should tether their console to a phone just to meet the check. It's ludicrous that the "only device you need" depends on a phone just to work in that scenario.

MaGlock

Tales of MS blowing their load at e3 are greatly exaggerated if you ask me. Still remains to be seen what black tusks project actually is. Lion head was absent during the show, 2 unannounced projects from their new Japan studios. And I think rare will have another game I refuse to believe that rare is only working on kinect sports rivals and a couple people helping double helix make KI

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
I can't believe they're saying people should tether their console to a phone just to meet the check. It's ludicrous that the "only device you need" depends on a phone just to work in that scenario.

Yeah it still boils down to "get Internet or fuck off"

If I pick up a PS4 at launch, why would pick up an Xbox one a few years later? Kinect? TV? Halo?

I don't understand how Xbox one will win in the long run if everyone buys a PS4 instead.

GQman2121

Banned
Cboat said Titanfall's coming to PS4 after a year, didn't he?

That number will slowly (or maybe quickly) shrink if XBone sales start to really trail behind PS4. It's going to be an interesting story to watch develop. Hopefully someone steps up and covers it with some good details.

Top Bottom