• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zeboyd Games announces Cosmic Star Heroine (Suikoden/PhantasyStar-inspired Unity RPG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

http://zeboyd.com/2013/06/25/zeboyd-games-is-proud-to-announce-cosmic-star-heroine/

Alyssa L’Salle is one of the galactic government’s top agents and always manages to save the day! But when she accidentally uncovers a dark conspiracy, her own government outs her as a legendary spy and the people’s champion! Sure, now she has hordes of adoring fans but every villainous organization she’s ever crossed in her career knows who she is and is out for her blood! Can she save the day once more while she faces her greatest challenge… Everyone!?

cshalyssa23.png

Love her design.

In this image, you can see some of the tools of the trade that Alyssa uses in her spy work. Her weapon may look like a regular bo but thanks to space age technology, it can also transform into a gun for long range combat and can be spun around to generate a personal force field. Of course, it’s a rather large weapon and not at all a stealthy one so when she isn’t using it, she stores it in her dimensional vortex-containing satchel which holds all sorts of useful spy gadgets (it’s bigger on the inside than it is on the outside, you see).

Here are a few details about the game:

-Future sci-fi setting
-2D pixel art visuals (but with various improvements over our previous games including bigger and more animated ally sprites)
-Created with Unity so that we can cover more platforms
-No separate combat screen – combat will occur directly on the same maps that you explore on
-Turn-based RPG gameplay that takes the best elements from our past games while adding a few new ideas.
-Enemy groups will no longer just stay in one place on maps but will patrol and chase after the player as appropriate
-Not a parody but will still have plenty of humor
-Players will be able to customize their own spy headquarters by recruiting more agents (think the Suikoden series)
Will be trying to get Hyperduck (who worked with us on our last game) again for the music (they’ve already agreed that they’d like to do it but we haven’t signed anything yet)

We will be doing a kickstarter for the game later this year to help raise funds for development costs but we’ll have more details on that later.

Unlike previous games we’ve worked on, we don’t want to save up news and art for the game just for big sporadic reveals. We’re going to be more open with this game’s development so we will be sharing updates, news, design musings, art, and graphics on a regular basis.

Not trying to start anything, but do people actually like zeboyd RPGs? I played chtuluh saves the word and the penny arcade game. I dropped the first one because I found the grinding unbearable (or maybe I just suck) and the second one was just...boring.

Finally, this looks like an good rpg to wait for.

I'm sick of indie rpgs being all self referential or being too humor based, I really want to see them strut their stuff and this game looks to be it. Gonna look forward to playing it in the future.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Hope it has a slightly more serious tone and Phantasy Star-esque image skits. I'm in for a Vita copy either way.

adixon

The first game by zeboyd I've been 100% excited for. Seems like they're really hitting their stride and making the ambitious game they really want to make.

Odrion

Banned
So wait, this company was able to design and release Breath of Death and Cthulhu just fine without crowd-funding, but this equally similar RPG needs a Kickstarter? They don't have the funds after four profitable RPGs, including two that used the popular Penny Arcade IP?

Card Boy

Banned
So wait, this company was able to design and release Breath of Death and Cthulhu just fine without crowd-funding, but this equally similar RPG needs a Kickstarter? They don't have the funds after four profitable RPGs, including two that used the Penny Arcade IP?

Maybe if more people bought their games they would have money? They where where barely getting by on those 4 games.

Foolworm

What did they say about the animation? One of Phantasy Star's killer features was the monster and background animations.

Wait, anime-inspired art style? Urgh.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
What did they say about the animation? One of Phantasy Star's killer features was the monster and background animations.

Wait, anime-inspired art style? Urgh.

Phantasy Star's art is very "anime inspired", they look to be following that older, less employed style, so...

And the animation is battle system sounds like it'll be Chrono Trigger like. Enemies appear on screen, battles happen without transitions, and it'll have ATB elements.

So wait, this company was able to design and release Breath of Death and Cthulhu just fine without crowd-funding, but this equally similar RPG needs a Kickstarter? They don't have the funds after four profitable RPGs, including two that used the popular Penny Arcade IP?

Their previous RPGs were built up over time, with each game getting more and more detailed and SNES like, rather than NES.

They seem to want to go directly to the high point with this game. So instead of making 2 or 3 games to get to where they want, they want to make 1 awesome one.

Actually, we did crowdfunding for Cthulhu Saves the World. That was before the big kickstarter boom though.

And we've basically just been getting by so far. Release a game, get enough money to release another game a year later. And actually, Cthulhu Saves the World is our best-selling game to date and that was a few years ago.

We could probably eke out another game just off of our existing royalties, but we really want this game to be a defining moment for us as a team. More available platforms, better animation, a well done story that isn't just an excuse to make a bunch of jokes & references, clever gameplay that is more than just explore/fight/story, a legendary soundtrack, maybe even some Sega CD-style cutscenes here and there. We want to go all out and without some extra funds, that will be very difficult.

Actually, we did crowdfunding for Cthulhu Saves the World. That was before the big kickstarter boom though.

And we've basically just been getting by so far. Release a game, get enough money to release another game a year later. And actually, Cthulhu Saves the World is our best-selling game to date and that was a few years ago.

We could probably eke out another game just off of our existing royalties, but we really want this game to be a defining moment for us as a team. More available platforms, better animation, a well done story that isn't just an excuse to make a bunch of jokes & references, clever gameplay that is more than just explore/fight/story, a legendary soundtrack, maybe even some Sega CD-style cutscenes here and there. We want to go all out and without some extra funds, that will be very difficult.

So this is the project you were telling me about a few weeks back? Consider me interested. I hope we can see some screenshots of the game itself in action soon, and I hope the Suikoden influence becomes more clear over time. I love those games, but I don't really have any nostalgia for Phantasy Star. :)

coopolon

as someone who recently got a vita and loves it, i am disappointed this means the vita ports are either never going to happen or are at best delayed. but this game definitely looks better than all the others (which i own on pc) so hopefully it will be coming to vita.

can definitely understand their desire to make new stuff vs rehashing the old stuff.

Sounds very cool.

Retro-inspired RPG with a cool heroine as the main character and Phantasy Star/Suikoden elements (like the scifi setting and art style of her design, and the mentioned Suikoden recruitment and HQ). I expect I'll back this.

PS4/Vita version would be great.

kuroshiki

God damn it looks like a character from Phantasy Star 4.

I need some Phantasy Star.

Can you make her boob a little bigger please.

God damn it looks like a character from Phantasy Star 4.

I need some Phantasy Star.

Can you make her boob a little bigger please.

Love her character design.

This. Sega's been dropping the ball, we should have had another single-player Phantasy Star ages ago. :(

Clunker

Day 1. I've followed Zeboyd since they were scratching together ideas on the PA forums, and I've never been disappointed. Will be more than happy to pledge on Kickstarter.

It's been a little sad to see how the excellent PA episodes 3 and 4 were left to wither on the dried-up vine that is XBLIG; I do think that part of the problem lied in the plot continuation of a series that was, in itself, pretty much a sub-niche of a niche of a niche; the original Hothead PA episodes were interesting but also kept a lot of buyers away with their $20 pricepoints. An original take that seems less parody-inspired is exactly what could help.

The three biggest game influences for this game right now are probably Chrono Trigger (pacing, on-map battles, multi-character combo abilities), Suikoden 2 (build your own base, simultaneous battle animations, story that focuses on both the big picture and personal stories), and Phantasy Star IV (character art, general setting and feel). What are some of the reasons why you think these games stand the test of time and what are some of the elements you'd like to see us include in Cosmic Star Heroine?

The three biggest game influences for this game right now are probably Chrono Trigger (pacing, on-map battles, multi-character combo abilities), Suikoden 2 (build your own base, simultaneous battle animations, story that focuses on both the big picture and personal stories), and Phantasy Star IV (character art, general setting and feel). What are some of the reasons why you think these games stand the test of time and what are some of the elements you'd like to see us include in Cosmic Star Heroine?

Sounds great. I think those games stand the test of time because in each there is a great universe to explore and NPCs to interact with throughout the game. To me what always helped the pacing in these types of RPGs is that there was always a new town never too far away and there would be new people to meet in those towns, and beyond that there were new dungeons and environments for enemy encounters. So I say you guys need to create a compelling world, especially if you are going to populate it with people we can recruit for our base.

Oh and one more thing. Since you brought up Suikoden, how about doing one of those large scale battles that were in Suikoden but instead of just troops against troops perhaps make it a space battle with a fleet against another fleet. If you had to you could reference this back to a large scale battle that happened years prior, if it doesn't fit the narrative otherwise. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom