• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: BOTW Timeline Discussion *UNMARKED SPOILERS*

Durock

Hi all,

So the thread about the new Zelda: Breath of the Wild trailer has started to deviate more towards story/timeline talk than it has about the trailer itself. Lot of spoilers presenting themselves in there so I'm starting this thread as a place where can keep the timeline discussions here and allow that thread to focus more on the trailer itself. The trailer thread can be found here: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1333300&page=1

Here is everything we know so far officially from Nintendo regarding BoTW's placement on the timeline.

First things first, here's the official timeline as we currently know it:

ZeldaTimeline-1-720x1054.jpg

Comments from Aunoma in an interview with Vice:

"I wouldn't say that it obviously fits into any one part of the timeline, but if you play the game, you'll be able to work out where it fits. As you probably saw in the trailer, the most recent trailer, there's a woman's voice, and she says: "The history of the royal family of Hyrule is also the history of the Calamity Ganon." And as you know, the Zelda series, up until now, is a history of repeated attacks by Ganon. So, there's food for thought there. I don't want to say anything more as I'd like players to work it out for themselves, to play the game and see what they think."

Source: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/a-conversation-with-zelda-veteran-and-breath-of-the-wild-producer-eiji-aonuma?

Additional comments from Aunoma in an interview with Eurogamer:

"Aonuma: So... in the trailer there was a sort of Wind Waker-esque element, and to a degree you could say that the animation and the art style have some influences from Wind Waker, so I can see why people would draw those connections.

But with Breath of the Wild, one thing I'm really keen to emphasise is that a big part of the appeal of the game is surprise, unexpected encounters, so I want fans to experience surprise and to experience an element of the unexpected - I feel if I spoke too much about that kind of thing, it might spoil things for people, so I'd rather not touch on that too deeply."

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/www.eurogamer.net/amp/2017-01-18-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-boss-eiji-aonuma-on-the-large-extra-burden-of-moving-to-nintendo-switch?client=safari

More Aunoma comments in a new interview with Jeux-Video...

Jeuxvideo.com: I can not yet answer this question because I want players to discover some elements of the game on their own, but you have some clues when you see that in the game there is the voice of a young person Woman who tells you that the world you are in has suffered many battles against Ganon. You can imagine roughly what period it is.

Source: http://gonintendo.com/stories/272641-aonuma-on-zelda-botw-wind-waker-influence-the-feeling-of-zeld

An interview with Nintendo France...

"I’m not going to tell you where the game ends up in the Zelda timeline before you’ve had the chance to play, but if you watched the third trailer, then you heard about the voice that said Hyrule is a country that went through many battles against Ganon.

I’d say this is a clue as to when the game takes place."

Source: http://gonintendo.com/stories/273735-aonuma-remains-coy-on-specific-placement-of-zelda-breath-of-the

Implications on the Zelda website that seems to indicate it's the same geographical Hyrule as LoZ and AoL. Most likely after AoL:

"In the original, there was a spot with two big stone formations, called Spectacle Rock because it looked a bit like a pair of eyeglasses.

You can find this location in the new game too, although these boulders now seem to have grown into a pair of towering mountains!"

"Rumor has it there are even more connections between the original The Legend of Zelda and the upcoming The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It'll be fun trying to find them all when the game is finally released in 2017!"

Source: http://zelda.com/breath-of-the-wild/news/hyrule-then-now

If I've missed anything or anyone has anything important that should be added to the OP, let me know and I'll include it!

Discuss!

Xieldos

I wrote something for my own site regarding this here before the last trailer was shown.

It basically says that they might bring all the timelines together. I'm sure Zelda experts could probably pick holes in it, but I'd love for them to now merge the timelines so we can have a consistent world moving forward.

So I've been thinking maybe this is the era without a hero? The one that the intro of Wind Waker talks about. Yes, Link is in the game but at no point do you see him wearing the tunic or wielding the master sword(im pretty sure?) and in the intro you see Hyrule being in huge trouble.

The reason I thought this might be the case is because of the deku tree knowing who Link is, which doesn't make sense if this game was after Skyward Sword unless something happened in between SS and this game that clears that up OR if the deku tree used to be a person that Link knew.

I don't think this is the case though since I don't think the map lines up well enough to be after OoT, it's clearly younger. Would've been really cool though if the game ended with the heroes losing and Hyrule being flooded.

RagnarokX

All of the evidence we have so far points very strongly at a placement between OoT and ALttP.

Ganon being in the game puts it after OoT.

The Temple of Time is in better condition than it was in TP.

Hyrule Castle Town and Hyrule Castle from OoT are in ruins on the Great Plateau.

The emphasis on the Sheikah, Hylia, and ancient technology puts it closer to Skyward Sword rather than further down.

Calamity Ganon (厄災 Ganon) is a reference to the Great Cataclysm from ALttP (災い)

Great Deku Tree

Gorons, Zoras, and Gerudos.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
It can't be before OoT because Ganon doesn't exist before that game. Also the trailer seems to hint at the Deku tree being present and recognizing Link. Plus the Koroks and Ritos exist which would place it after OoT.

It's probably Nintendo taking advantage of the nonsense downfall timeline they added. They're free to do anything they want with Ganon in that one.

Cerium

This link is the Hero of Time, the instrument in the game which they've been hiding from us is the Ocarina of Time, time travel shenanigans will be involved.

EVH

What about the Deku tree guys? The ones that were sent to spread tree seeds by the deku tree in Wind Waker. They are all over the place. We also see a character similar to Linebeck. And the salt from the ancient great sea.

There are points indicating this is the hero defeated "revived" after some years (between OoT and ALttP) and points indicating this is after Wind Waker.

I think this should be the case of that unifying timeline theory, to be honest.

NimbusD

after zelda ii.

Its gotta be newest, because of technology, and theyre obvs inspired by the early open world games.

RagnarokX

What about the Deku tree guys? The ones that were sent to spread tree seeds by the deku tree in Wind Waker. They are all over the place. We also see a character similar to Linebeck. And the salt from the ancient great sea.

There are points indicating this is the hero defeated "revived" after some years (between OoT and ALttP) and points indicating this is after Wind Waker.

I think this should be the case of that unifying timeline theory, to be honest.
There's nothing regarding Koroks that says they are exclusive to the Wind Waker timeline. The Great Deku Tree just says that the Koroks once took human forms that after the flood they took on their Korok forms. It's possible Koroks are their normal forms and they took the human forms to make Link feel better.

That character only only shares a few similarities to Linebeck. And characters are not limited to a single timeline. Tingle was in Majora's Mask and Wind Waker, which are separate timelines.

Ancient Sea Salt likely references the ancient sea that was in Skyward Sword.

Zoras became Ritos in WW, BotW has Zoras. Bird people are not Ritos.

The game takes place in the original Hyrule. Hyrule was completely destroyed by the King's wish at the end of Wind Waker.

After Wind Waker New Hyrule was established on another continent.

There's nothing in the game that indicates or requires the silly idea of converging timelines to explain. All of the timelines split from a single timeline, so they're going to share stuff.

All of the evidence we have so far points very strongly at a placement between OoT and ALttP.

Ganon being in the game puts it after OoT.

The Temple of Time is in better condition than it was in TP.

Hyrule Castle Town and Hyrule Castle from OoT are in ruins on the Great Plateau.

The emphasis on the Sheikah, Hylia, and ancient technology puts it closer to Skyward Sword rather than further down.

Calamity Ganon (厄災 Ganon) is a reference to the Great Cataclysm from ALttP (災い)

Great Deku Tree

Gorons, Zoras, and Gerudos.

This. To me it seem pretty clear this is the "failed Hero" timeline's equivalent to The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Everything lines up.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if this Link is in fact the failed Hero of Time and that after he was defeated he was placed in the "stasis" we find him in at the beginning of the game.

(and by the way, can I just state for the record how much that I hate getting a game over in OoT is apparently a canonical start to an entire timeline branch? lol)

LewieP

I think the old man you meet is one of the previous Links.

And I think the link you play as in BOTW will grow up to be the old man in the original game.

RagnarokX

I think the old man you meet is one of the previous Links.

And I think the link you play as in BOTW will grow up to be the old man in the original game.

The old man is likely the King. He looks almost exactly like the other Kings of Hyrule we've seen in past games and his theme that plays when you meet him at places sounds like a remix of Hyrule Castle theme. His voice sounds like the voice that tells Link to rescue his daughter (Zelda).

Isn't that what aLttP is?

That's basically how it's currently aligned in the timeline, but I suspect this game leads to ALttP as described in the post I was responding to, and is supposed to more directly serve as the direct counterpart to those two. Even from what little we've seen there seems to be far stronger connections to OoT (particularly the Great Deku Tree), which makes it seem like the intent is for it to be third counterpart to the other two "sequels".

Seems to fit the Fallen Hero timeline. On the other hand I am up for this whole mess of a timeline to be tied up and make for a single timeline going forward.
Hell I think this is Nintendo's way of securing the Fallen Hero timeline. I remember that there were a lot mixed reactions about the fact that Link losing to Ganon created a third timeline.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think the most obvious answer is that this takes place after OoT, in the Fallen Hero timeline. The counterpart to WW and TP. It just fits best with what we've seen. "I think you're finally ready to hear what happened 100 years ago" = Link lost the battle against Ganon at the end of OoT, was nearly (or perhaps truly) killed, and was put in stasis in the rejuvenation chamber to heal for 100 years (losing all his memories of the events in OoT in the process). Meanwhile, Ganon was able to wreak havoc on Hyrule, causing the destruction we see. Now, he does seem to be contained in the castle, so the question is if that happened right after the battle (and he has somehow still managed to influence things happening outside) or if he was able to go berserk for a while before Zelda and the sages managed to imprison him again.

This "merging the timelines" idea some people have is so contrived I can't even think about it. There's just no way to make something like that make any sense whatsoever. Timelines can split, that's just fine, but merge after having diverged greatly? Ugh.

AGoodODST

There's also the Master Sword to consider. As we've seen in imagery, the Master Sword itself appears to be damaged, perhaps as a result of Link being defeated or maybe it's due to the remnants of Demise's spirit (sealed away inside the sword at the end of Skyward Sword) corroding it over time. Perhaps that's what eventually leads to his resurrection as the Calamity Ganon?

Discuss.

I don't think it's Demise but since it's literally called the Master Sword of Resurrection, it's possible it has something to do with Ganon coming back.

LewieP

The old man is likely the King. He looks almost exactly like the other Kings of Hyrule we've seen in past games and his theme that plays when you meet him at places sounds like a remix of Hyrule Castle theme. His voice sounds like the voice that tells Link to rescue his daughter (Zelda).

Oh cool.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There's nothing regarding Koroks that says they are exclusive to the Wind Waker timeline. The Great Deku Tree just says that the Koroks once took human forms that after the flood they took on their Korok forms. It's possible Koroks are their normal forms and they took the human forms to make Link feel better.

That character only only shares a few similarities to Linebeck. And characters are not limited to a single timeline. Tingle was in Majora's Mask and Wind Waker, which are separate timelines.

Ancient Sea Salt likely references the ancient sea that was in Skyward Sword.

Zoras became Ritos in WW, BotW has Zoras. Bird people are not Ritos.

The game takes place in the original Hyrule. Hyrule was completely destroyed by the King's wish at the end of Wind Waker.

After Wind Waker New Hyrule was established on another continent.

There's nothing in the game that indicates or requires the silly idea of converging timelines to explain. All of the timelines split from a single timeline, so they're going to share stuff.

While I agree with what you say here, my issue with it is that 100 years if way too little time for any sort of evolution like that to happen. But, games, I guess. And I suppose WW already has this issue? Do we know exactly how long after OoT that game takes place? I know there is some interview where it's stated to be "100 years after OoT", but it was also said to be "hundreds of years after OoT". Either way, clearly too little time for such evolution. I wish Nintendo would at least go with something like 1000 years after (or thousands), to make the time span seem a bit more grand. Not that 1000 years would make any noticeable evolution any more believable/realistic, but 100 years just doesn't feel very "epic".

EDIT: Missed the "Koroks are their normal forms" part. Hmm, I don't know, that seems a bit contrived.

Oh I completely forgot about the LttP timeline, yeah it's definitely between OoT and LttP, it only makes sense. It being between OoT and Wind Waker has too many holes in it.

rockyt

All the evident pretty much point to the fallen hero timeline atleast that is what I see. Heck it was mention that during the treehouse playthrough one of them accidently said he was the hero of time.

RagnarokX

While I agree with what you say here, my issue with it is that 100 years if way too little time for any sort of evolution like that to happen. But, games, I guess. And I suppose WW already has this issue? Do we know exactly how long after OoT that game takes place? I know there is some interview where it's stated to be "100 years after OoT", but it was also said to be "hundreds of years after OoT". Either way, clearly too little time for such evolution. I wish Nintendo would at least go with something like 1000 years after (or thousands), to make the time span seem a bit more grand. Not that 1000 years would make any noticeable evolution any more believable/realistic, but 100 years just doesn't feel very "epic".

EDIT: Missed the "Koroks are their normal forms" part. Hmm, I don't know, that seems a bit contrived.
Koroks didn't evolve. They're forest spirits. It just says they changed their forms. They're magic.

Alienous

I'm guessing this is the 'Fallen Hero' timeline, after OOT and before ALTTP, too.

Considering the Great Deku Tree and Koroks' appearance it seems to be after OOT like Wind Waker. So perhaps BotW is the timeline where Link is resurrected to stop the Calamity Ganon threat, whereas Wind Waker requires that the Earth be flooded in the Hero of Time's absence?

This could be the war mentioned in the beginning of Link to the Past, with the sages sealing him away.

Regardless, I'm happy to see the hints of Pig Ganon. I like Ganondorf as a villain, and as awesome as the sword duels of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess were, they did not compare to his monster form.

Cerium

This could be the war mentioned in the beginning of Link to the Past, with the sages sealing him away.

Regardless, I'm happy to see the hints of Pig Ganon. I like Ganondorf as a villain, and as awesome as the sword duels of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess were, they did not compare to his monster form.
That moment at the end of OoT when it just says "GANON" without any subtitle was pretty impactful.

But Wind Waker might be my favorite Zelda final battle.

That moment at the end of OoT when it just says "GANON" without any subtitle was pretty impactful.

But Wind Waker might be my favorite Zelda final battle.
I think that is my favorite video game moment. When I first played OoT as a kid, I thought that the castle escape was the end and was disappointed that there was no monster form. And then... "GANON." Zelda screaming during the fight if you are hit was powerful.

Fighting Ganondorf with Zelda was absolutely amazing too. When he backhands her, I went into rage mode and wanted him dead. Since BoTW has voice acting, I hope a similar situation happens. Link shouting "GANON" in anger would be an excellent first line of dialog for Link.

Yeah I'm definitely on the train that thinks this is a direct sequel to OoT on the fallen hero timeline. You play as the hero of time that failed but they managed to resurrect you over the course of 100 years.
I guess that would make this game about the imprisoning war.

If Nintendo even cares that deeply about the timeline, then yes, I would imagine this as being in the 'fallen hero' sequence of events. It's either that or it's way off into the future of the child timeline with Twilight Princess.

The thing is, the situation most obviously parallels the backstory of Wind Waker, but the whole premise of said backstory was that the Hero never appeared, and thus the King's hand was forced. Changing it to 'well he appeared but wasn't able to stop Ganon so it was flooded anyway' seems... strange, to be quite honest. Meanwhile, the backstory for Twilight Princess is premised on this not happening at all, so that's out. Thus we're left with the largely vague and untapped gap between OoT and LtTP. Mind, it would still be odd since the current reckoning is based on the idea that, again, there was no Hero who last long enough to actually stop Ganon, forcing him to be sealed into the sacred realm. That links in with OoT right now, while wedging Breath of the Wild in there shifts that to another case of the Hero appearing at the last minute but going unmentioned for... some reason. But it also allows for Hyrule being ruined and going on to recover, which the others don't have so much.

I am not really that familiar with the Zelda timeline, but before the last trailer there were many people that thought the game would be a sequel to the two Zelda games for the NES. Now it all seems to be pointing straight to the fallen timeline, between OoT and a A Link to the Past. I would imagine that there should be some explanation as to how this timeline came to be rather than just "Link failed"

I think Calamity Ganon is Ganon's lingering spirit after he was killed in the Wind Waker and the curse set by Demise is trying to bring him back but can't because he drowned with Hyrule.

The Great Deku Tree knows Link so I'm assuming this is either Wind Waker Link or Ocarina of Time Link.

Caelus

I still wonder why this Link is right-handed, the game doesn't have swordplay motion-controls, and I highly doubt this is Skyward Sword Link.

Someone translated the Hylian text on the back of the SE map, and it sets up the game's backstory.

Click at your own spoilery risk

I'll also mention that in GameExplain's 20 minute demo video the old man explains that Calamity Ganon is sealed in Hyrule Castle/Castle Town, and has been regaining his strength. He further elaborates that he's almost strong enough to break free.

Here is a link to that video at the relavent timestamp (19:45)

I think Calamity Ganon is Ganon's lingering spirit after he was killed in the Wind Waker and the curse set by Demise is trying to bring him back but can't because he drowned with Hyrule.

The Great Deku Tree knows Link so I'm assuming this is either Wind Waker Link or Ocarina of Time Link.
That wouldn't work, after the events of Wind Waker Link and Tetra leave the Great Sea of Wind Waker to found a new Hyrule and 100 years later in Spirit Tracks we see that new land.

Someone translated the Hylian text on the back of the SE map, and it sets up the game's backstory.

Click at your own spoilery risk

That sounds a hell of a lot like confirmation of
downfall timeline.

Top Bottom