• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Skyward Sword Spoiler Thread: Retelling the Legend without the black bars

RagnarokX

I didn't because that would have been the dumbest plot event ever in a Zelda game.

He's clearly an ancestor of the Gerudo tribe, though.

My bet is that the 3DS game is going to be something along those lines.

A generation or two after SS, there's a fair to celebrate the anniversary of the founding of Hyrule, big statue of Groose and a tiny statue of his flunkies next to it, then some villain does a villainous thing and ~adventure start~.
Yeah, but I don't see Groose becoming villainous. Gerudos aren't evil, just Ganon. I would like to see how the tribe got started, though. Maybe explain the Great Deku Tree, Zoras, Gorons, and Mogma transition to OoT too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Apologies if someone else posted this (only read like half the thread so far), but was anyone else bummed they didn't let you put the Master Sword in the stone at the end? What a missed opportunity!
Agreed. The let you--surprise!--take it out of the pedestal, so I was getting ready to put it back in. :O

Thoraxes

He's clearly an ancestor of the Gerudo tribe, though.

Yeah, but I don't see Groose becoming villainous. Gerudos aren't evil, just Ganon. I would like to see how the tribe got started, though. Maybe explain the Great Deku Tree, Zoras, Gorons, and Mogma transition to OoT too.

Groose gets a giant harem of women, takes them out to the desert, and has a giagantic orgy, and due to his destiny and the destiny of his progeny, only 1 male child is born with the rest being female. From here till OOT the Gerudo become a people and devote themselves to being an almost all-female race that can kick everyone's ass.

The Zora almost look like they're direct descendants of the Water Dragon Faron somehow. They have some similar facial features, and of course, their affinity for water.

I almost wonder if the Kokiri are the remnants of the Skyloft, due to the nature that they can never leave the forest or they die, kind of parallel to how the denizens of Skyloft can't go below the clouds or something, idk.

Tritroid

This is the first Zelda I'm really taking my time with instead of rushing straight through to the end (mostly because I have very little time these days).

I'm really enjoying the story though. I'm at the last portion, where I'm about to find all the Triforce pieces.

That climax cutscene after going through the gate of time though...omg so sad. Probably one of the best Zelda cutscenes ever, if not the best. Link's expression going from utter shock to being completely devastated made me tear up. :(

This is hands down the best characterization of Zelda yet, aside from perhaps Tetra. In Twilight Princess she barely had anything to do with the story, and disappeared for an entire segment of it (then reappeared at the end...which was odd and unexplained). This Zelda has been at the forefront of the story all along, which makes the emotional tug so strong when she seals herself, because it literally feels like Link has been one second too late every time.

RagnarokX

Groose gets a giant harem of women, takes them out to the desert, and has a giagantic orgy, and due to his destiny and the destiny of his progeny, only 1 male child is born with the rest being female. From here till OOT the Gerudo become a people and devote themselves to being an almost all-female race that can kick everyone's ass.

The Zora almost look like they're direct descendants of the Water Dragon Faron somehow. They have some similar facial features, and of course, their affinity for water.

I almost wonder if the Kokiri are the remnants of the Skyloft, due to the nature that they can never leave the forest or they die, kind of parallel to how the denizens of Skyloft can't go below the clouds or something, idk.

Nah, the Kokiri are the Kikwi. Skyloftians become Oocca.

OMT

I don't think Groose is the progenitor of the Gerudo. I do, on the other hand, think he is the progenitor of another race from OoT.

His Japanese name is "Bado" which is a play on "bird." It's also a play on Link's childhood tormentor from OoT: Mido. Groose/Bado also has much in common with Mido as far as storyline goes - bullies Link, jealous of Link for attracting the attention of Zelda/Saria, ultimately good-hearted. They even look sort of similar, absent size and maturity.

I think that Groose is the ancestor of the Kokiri, rather than the Kikwis as often postulated. The Kikwis, on the other hand, ended up becoming the Deku Scrubs. As Hylians began to populate the former Sealed Grounds/future Hyrule Castle Town, these descendants moved into the forest, taking a Life Tree Sapling or Fruit along with them (which became the Great Deku Tree). Eating from the tree gave their children eternal youth, while the Tree provided fairy companions for the increasingly lonely children.

Also - from a quick machine translation of the Japanese Skyward Sword Wikipedia page, I just realized that Fi's name is supposed to be a pun on "File." She does act like software, after all.

MisterHero

Yeah the ancestors of the Gerudo are Cawlin and Karane.

Karane dumped Pipit after it turned out he was a domestic abuser

Also, to be honest, Kikwis have more in common with Deku Scrubs in my eyes.

One more thing, I wish there was more to the events where you bring Surface-dwellers to the Sky

i dont remember too well but is the deku tree from wind waker the sapling from OoT?
yes

Caelus

I wonder, did anyone else know that after you beat the game in Hero Mode you can use the Groosenator to travel to any minigame in the world? Just asking.

Mistle

I wonder, did anyone else know that after you beat the game in Hero Mode you can use the Groosenator to travel to any minigame in the world? Just asking.
You dont need to beat the game in hero mode. You can do it on your first play through, I did it myself.

Edit: ah, same person as in the other thread, didnt realise :p

Caelus

You dont need to beat the game in hero mode. You can do it on your first play through, I did it myself.

Yeah, but on the first playthrough you can't do that when the Isle of the Goddess falls, can you? (I'm wondering this). Because you can do that in Hero Mode.

Bit-Bit

I thought Fi's name was a play on the word find. Since you use her to find things.

But it being a play on the word file would make as much sense.

Mistle

Yeah, but on the first playthrough you can't do that when the Isle of the Goddess falls, can you? (I'm wondering this). Because you can do that in Hero Mode.
Hmm. I'm not sure if you can catapult after the isle falls on the regular playthrough. You can definitely do so before it falls though. Seems like an odd restriction to keep for hero mode, lol

Caelus

Hmm. I'm not sure if you can catapult after the isle falls on the regular playthrough. You can definitely do so before it falls though. Seems like an odd restriction to keep for hero mode, lol

It was worth it to beat Hero Mode anyway, I sweat a lot on that Demise battle, and got the Triforce on my save file. <3

Mistle

It was worth it to beat Hero Mode anyway, I sweat a lot on that Demise battle, and got the Triforce on my save file. <3
I can't wait to play through Hero Mode :D I think I'll wait a while though to let the game feel fresh again. Might play on Dolphin too if I can get it running well on my comp.

Caelus

I can't wait to play through Hero Mode :D I think I'll wait a while though to let the game feel fresh again. Might play on Dolphin too if I can get it running well on my comp.

Jesus Christ, do so. There was a guy who posted a download to 100 SS Dolphin end-game shots and they are fap material.

I personally think Groose is just Groose. Trying to make him in to a progenitor of an entire race seems like reaching for the sake of it.

Kinda hope Ghirahim comes back as a trident.

This was a huge missed opportunity. But I guess tying something directly to the story of a Four Swords title just isn't happening.

TyRaNtM

Neo Member
I found quite funny that a lot of things of this game are based from Wii Sports Resort.
Even that this isn't new, the thing is how they extracted Resort things and converted so well to Zelda things. Just to name a few:

- Controlling Bird is the Island Flyover in Resort.
- Descend is Skydiving.
- You can throw bombs like play Basketball and Bowling.
- Using the bow is similar to Archery (but not the same).
- The sword is like all sword games in resort.
- The final battle with Ghirahim is nearly play Swordplay Duel.

And all this is very well done in Skyward Sword, like if this was done in Zelda before.

MisterHero

I was disappointed they let people just use A to shoot Arrows

sure the other set-up took a fraction of a second more, well... maybe it's just for the best

for me it was a little more satisfying when it became second-nature

kunonabi

I was disappointed they let people just use A to shoot Arrows

sure the other set-up took a fraction of a second more, well... maybe it's just for the best

for me it was a little more satisfying when it became second-nature

well it charges up faster when you use the nunchuk so they do reward you for it.

Kamek

Well I got the Hylian Shield and immediately went to fight Demise. Won on the first try. Had NO idea about that Skyward Lightning strike thing. I was on media blackout so I had no idea about Hero Mode and didn't have the presence of mind to copy my file. I was scared I wouldn't be able to get hero mode after that and that the game would prompt me to save even if i said no. HUGEST FUCKING MISTAKE EVER. I got to enjoy the Hylian Shield for literally ONE FUCKING BATTLE. The last one. :((

RagnarokX

Zelda evolution makes no sense, how can you go from Kikwi to Kokiri to Korok? Was there thousands and thousands(or even millions) of years separating SS and WW?

They're magical forest spirits. They have an excuse. Parella -> Zora -> Rito don't make sense at all.
Neat easter egg

Someone found the medallions from OOT in SS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q9q44rWNCk&feature=related

sorry if old.

That's the first thing I looked at when I went to the goddess statue for the first time, and I knew where I would find the other 3 :D

Zelda evolution makes no sense, how can you go from Kikwi to Kokiri to Korok? Was there thousands and thousands(or even millions) of years separating SS and WW?

Most likely yes. Doesn't one of the interviews before WW came out basically state that it takes place a couple hundred close to a thousand years after OoT. Evolution in the Zelda series seems to very much be like a river flowing this way and that, and not with one set path.

john tv

Also - from a quick machine translation of the Japanese Skyward Sword Wikipedia page, I just realized that Fi's name is supposed to be a pun on "File." She does act like software, after all.
That's just the machine translation mistaking "Fi" for "File" because there is no word "Fi" in Japanese. The actual Japanese doesn't say this anywhere.

Lindbergh

This was a huge missed opportunity. But I guess tying something directly to the story of a Four Swords title just isn't happening.

Not merely tying into Four Swords but into the iconic image of Ganon.
I'm getting the vibe that Nintendo's approach with Ganon is becoming more emphasized on Ganondorf than the boar we first saw him as.

MisterHero

I can't read music either, but my assumption is that it's The Ballad of the Goddess. The gate spins backwards in the past, and plays Zelda's Lullaby.
True I might have to look at the past version, because I thought I coud at least interpret based on the pattern I remembered from OoT

being backwards could've thrown me off

Mistle

Well the stave only has 4 lines instead of 5.. and it's very disjointed and hard to read music lol. Doesn't really look like Zelda's Lullaby/Ballad of the Goddess.

The Boat

I honestly don't think there's any sort of evolutionary connection between the races, except maybe Kikwi becoming Deku Scrubs, although I think those are more connected to the land Octoroks since they're pretty much the same. The Skyloftians (?) or the Loftwings or something could become the Ooca too I guess, it would make sense. Groose being a Gerudo predecessor is silly though. Why, because he has red hair? Pfft.

Girahim though, I feel he's connected to Dark Link, either he's Dark Link or his sword while Dark Link was created from Demise's hate, but there' definitely something there.

RagnarokX

I honestly don't think there's any sort of evolutionary connection between the races, except maybe Kikwi becoming Deku Scrubs, although I think those are more connected to the land Octoroks since they're pretty much the same. The Skyloftians (?) or the Loftwings or something could become the Ooca too I guess, it would make sense. Groose being a Gerudo predecessor is silly though. Why, because he has red hair? Pfft.

Girahim though, I feel he's connected to Dark Link, either he's Dark Link or his sword while Dark Link was created from Demise's hate, but there' definitely something there.

Red hair and yellow eyes; the defining characteristics of the Gerudo. I like how you call that silly when it's based on evidence, then connect Ghirahim to Dark Link based on nothing at all.

6YTeI.jpg

Nintendo should sell a clock like this.

MisterHero

How come everyone is looking at Groose

Karane also fits the Gerudo resemblance

BUT

Gerudos don't have sharp ears

A male Gerudo, Ganondorf's skin was decidedly green

to be honest, I think Karane and one of the Rescue Knights might be a hint that Nintendo might want to try a female protagonist (in the same capacity as Link)

RagnarokX

How come everyone is looking at Groose

Karane also fits the Gerudo resemblance

BUT

Gerudos don't have sharp ears

A male Gerudo, Ganondorf's skin was decidedly green

to be honest, I think Karane and one of the Rescue Knights might be a hint that Nintendo might want to try a female protagonist (in the same capacity as Link)

Her eyes are the wrong color

Top Bottom