• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

Chaos17

Haha thanks. Yeah, was told several things, other saw them myself. Boar taming is in, afaik.

Here's part of what I played, 30 min+ of gameplay being a happy n00b:

http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/309573/Nuevo+gameplay+de+Zelda+Breath+of+the+Wild+demostrativo/

Watching it now...

1. Oh, you can crounch in sneak mode.
2. Can kill squirrels, savage, just like the guy who killed a butterfly in the other video, lol
3. "Shiny things can easely distract" Yup Myamoto was right XD
4. I like how the desarmed bokolin recovered it lost weapon.

CllQA5aWYAAmRH0.jpg
CllQLPmXIAAo4cE.jpg
CllQMK9WMAADdk_.jpg
CllQNcxXEAA0YLO.jpg
CllQU1PXIAA48BZ.jpg

5. Introducing tower with cutscene. That will uncovered the regional map. That's the moment the voice will also tell/show the castle with the shadow appearing.

Lcj0NP3.gif

"When the beast will regain its full power, this world will face its end"

Lord of Ring ref ? XD

Anyway, thank you very much for sharing your video, I saw a new thing that Nintendo avoided like the plague in its stream so I'm happy XD

Earendil

Err, but the area you start the game in is called "resurrection chamber." That already implies that he was dead. Only after that does Zelda say he was "asleep" for 100 years, which makes me at least lean more towards he was nearly dead and needed to be revitalized through the resurrection chamber.

Maybe Link is a Cylon.

sinxtanx

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow. You think the Plateau representative ts more than 2%? And that expecting 98% more is unrealistic?

And, that stuff in the E3 Bill marker vid, some of it beyond the playable area? That part I didn't think of at all but I understand why you'd say that and agree it's best to temper expectations. My first paragraph, tho, that part I'm not sure I'm following on.

the plateau is 1-2% of the game

some people think the pitch black areas on the map are game world beyond the stuff that has borders between

they are hoping for 200%

maxcriden

some people think the pitch black areas on the map are game world beyond the stuff that has borders between

they are hoping for 200%

Gotcha, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. I agree it's unlikely there is anything more than the full map we've seen. It's worth noting I guess that Skyland and maybe Undersea World could represent double map. As in, there's stuff on the ground under the Skyland. And if there's an Undersea, then there's stuff on the surface above it.

Similarly, I don't remember if it was confirmed at all, I'm thinking not, but I ot the sense that the presumably four main dungeons will comprise part if the overworld map, and if they are indoors, perhaps there will be ground above them as well. But perhaps they will be open air and comprise part of the overall map, bur only be accessible from an entrance. Since we know for a fact there's a certain way to get into each.

The more I think about it, the more I really just want Breath of the Wind to be its own thing. Its own timeline, its own canon. I think it's a mistake for this franchise to place any emphasis at all on establishing cross-game lore as opposed to just taking the Mario approach.

maxcriden

Based on the VGA map I would expect a giant ocean on the entire east side of the map. It showed shallower water sections too (light blue vs dark blue) so I would imagine Link can swim in those shallow sections but a boat would be needed for the deeper sections, or possibly the deeper sections will not be traversable at all.

Ah, gotcha. Thank you. It will remain to be seen--

lf the final map is similar to the VGA one the deeper sections must be traversable because there's a large crescent shaped island in the south east that's separated from the main land by dark blue water.

--just how we get too that island. If we don't swim all the way there, well, I guess surely we will have to swim or boat really. I doubt they'd make the ocean not traversible. I guess the mystery is how much of the water otherwise will hold much to explore and how much of it you'll be able to access. I wonder how they keep you from going too far East, as Skittzo was pondering above....

Altazor

they are hoping for 200%

I think there's a bit of land obscured by those black borders (in some videos you can see some lines stretching over and getting lost in the darker parts) but I don't think it's gonna be much. Definitely *not* much more than the map we've seen so far, IMHO - just the necessary to "close" it.

Aldric

Ah, gotcha. Thank you. It will remain to be seen--

--just how we get too that island. If we don't swim all the way there, well, I guess surely we will have to swim or boat really. I doubt they'd make the ocean not traversible. I guess the mystery is how much of the water otherwise will hold much to explore and how much of it you'll be able to access. I wonder how they keep you from going too far East, as Skittzo was pondering above....

l checked the map again, and there's actually a long narrow path of light blue water leading to the island, so it's possible you'll have to swim through it. This would probably require a lot of stamina though.

Gsnap

So, this is kind of interesting...

I'm watching an IGN video about zelda, and I noticed the description of the blue chuchu jelly https://youtu.be/uRYVoIVJuoM?t=40m16s (40:16 just in case the time stamp doesn't work)

It says it is unusable in it's normal state, but applying an electric current may change its form. Normally, if I were to read something like this in a game I would just assume that means it's a standard crafting material, and by combining it with some other material you'll get something else. But we've seen that this game has a more active crafting system than many other games. There are parts where it can be static (like when you put different ingredients into a pot to cook), but we've also seen the player take a more active role. It's almost puzzle like in some cases. Take wood and flint, throw them on the ground, strike them with metal and use the friction to create a campfire. It's logical and active. And, I don't know which video it's in, but I have seen a video in which the player accidentally destroys a collectible by hitting it with his sword (I think it was actually chuchujelly). So with this we know two things. One, collectibles are tangible items that take up physical space and can be interacted with just like anything else (even to the point of breaking them and eliminating them from the game world). And two, interacting with different combinations of them in different ways produces different results.

And so, it looks like we're going to have to find a way to introduce electricity to chuchu jelly on our own in an active way, rather than just putting it together with something else in a menu. So we should be able to figure out a way to hit it with natural lightning, or we will likely get some sort of lightning powers of our own that we can hit it with. Maybe an electric sword, or maybe a new rune power.

But basically, it looks like we're going to have to treat collectibles as puzzles in their own right, and take a "minecraftian" approach to them to see how they fit together with other items, and with the world at large. Rather than just taking them at face value, as is so often the case.

So, this is kind of interesting...

I'm watching an IGN video about zelda, and I noticed the description of the blue chuchu jelly https://youtu.be/uRYVoIVJuoM?t=40m16s (40:16 just in case the time stamp doesn't work)

It says it is unusable in it's normal state, but applying an electric current may change its form. Normally, if I were to read something like this in a game I would just assume that means it's a standard crafting material, and by combining it with some other material you'll get something else. But we've seen that this game has a more active crafting system than many other games. There are parts where it can be static (like when you put different ingredients into a pot to cook), but we've also seen the player take a more active role. It's almost puzzle like in some cases. Take wood and flint, throw them on the ground, strike them with metal and use the friction to create a campfire. It's logical and active. And, I don't know which video it's in, but I have seen a video in which the player accidentally destroys a collectible by hitting it with his sword (I think it was actually chuchujelly). So with this we know two things. One, collectibles are tangible items that take up physical space and can be interacted with just like anything else (even to the point of breaking them and eliminating them from the game world). And two, interacting with different combinations of them in different ways produces different results.

And so, it looks like we're going to have to find a way to introduce electricity to chuchu jelly on our own in an active way, rather than just putting it together with something else in a menu. So we should be able to figure out a way to hit it with natural lightning, or we will likely get some sort of lightning powers of our own that we can hit it with. Maybe an electric sword, or maybe a new rune power.

But basically, it looks like we're going to have to treat collectibles as puzzles in their own right, and take a "minecraftian" approach to them to see how they fit together with other items, and with the world at large. Rather than just taking them at face value, as is so often the case.

Good find! Also I'm not sure if it was the Treehouse stream or another video but it showed an apple being caught in a fire and beginning to burn, and a Nintendo person stating that if you pick up the apple before it completely vanishes then you'll get a baked apple. It may have been the GameXplain video with Bill Trinnen. Edit: Nate Bihldorff not Bill Trinen. Also I don't think it was that video haha

But yeah I bet there will be a lot of cool combinations with these materials, very exciting!

Good find! Also I'm not sure if it was the Treehouse stream or another video but it showed an apple being caught in a fire and beginning to burn, and a Nintendo person stating that if you pick up the apple before it completely vanishes then you'll get a baked apple. It may have been the GameXplain video with Bill Trinnen.

But yeah I bet there will be a lot of cool combinations with these materials, very exciting!

in the ign video they said that killing a bird with a fire rod gave them cooked chicken instead of raw meat.

Gsnap

Good find! Also I'm not sure if it was the Treehouse stream or another video but it showed an apple being caught in a fire and beginning to burn, and a Nintendo person stating that if you pick up the apple before it completely vanishes then you'll get a baked apple. It may have been the GameXplain video with Bill Trinnen.

That's interesting. Every other time they set food on fire it just cooks properly. But then again, they always pick it up right after it finishes cooking, so who knows. Maybe all food cooked on an open fire (instead of a pot) will disappear if you cook it too long and essentially "burn" it.

in the ign video they said that killing a bird with a fire rod gave them cooked chicken instead of raw meat.

This too. There's no telling the number of outcomes and combinations there will be in the final game. The interactivity seems like it just keeps going and going. It's like back in the OoT days when everyone was so fascinated by the different outcomes from cutting the signs in different ways. Just taken to the extreme.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I know it's unlikely but as a holiday gift. Nintendo should put a modified E3 demo up for download during the Holidays. If BotW launches in March, it'd serve as a good way to appease Wii U and Zelda fans and further hype people up for the game.

I know it's unlikely but as a holiday gift. Nintendo should put a modified E3 demo up for download during the Holidays. If BotW launches in March, it'd serve as a good way to appease Wii U and Zelda fans and further hype people up for the game.

They won't do this because it'd be easy to data-mine.

R00bot

No they shouldn't. WIth the amount of Wii U hacking possible right now there would be an incredible amount of leaks and hacks for the demo, especially as the demo contains the rest of the world in its current state, but you're unable to access it.

Not terribly likely, but I do agree that they really should have something to commemorate the 30th anniversary year

Fandangox

Maybe this was already posted, but thought this was pretty funny. I think what Bill was trying to do was to link several clubs together and ignite the explosive barrels, but the second club he threw hits the barrel by accident and the barrel fell over on the club which was already on fire and all the barrels exploded. Really love the physics in the world.

botw_barrel33bk6.gif

No one did it so I tried to do it myself

uqe5wKz.gif

No they shouldn't. WIth the amount of Wii U hacking possible right now there would be an incredible amount of leaks and hacks for the demo, especially as the demo contains the rest of the world in its current state, but you're unable to access it.
Yeah, and I think they shouldn't demo the game on Wii U anymore seeing the progress hackers have made that they could download the demo wirelessly from demo units now.
I think the game is likely close to being finished and imagine if Nintendo just locked away the rest of the map instead of removing the files from the demo. That could be pretty disastrous if someone got the demo and released it with it turning out to be the whole thing or a majority of the game.

AdanVC

Holyy coww seriously, what's up with that UFO or floating island on the sky!? I was just watching some footage from Polygon and seriously what omfg I got so excited when I saw that. What could it be?

Chaos17

Bill Trien being interviewed alone and you can see hw genualy the journalisms are beaming with curiosity and happiness toward the game :)

https://youtu.be/VPgnwOVj0uo

7:20 > this worry me a bit that sense of danger because a lot of people dislike that in XCX. Though, in new Zelda you've a lot of way to recover your health.

11:19 > nice to hear them have tested many different kind of interactions. They love the physic engine.

13:00 > haha, someone from IGN staff found a rupee when it supposed not be able in normal way. Unfortunaly, they don't say how he got it :(

18:46 > asking if it's the new Zelda is connected tot the time line where Link died in (trying to read Bill face, lol) Bill doesn't confirm but did point out that the shrine where Link wake up is called "shrine of ressurection"

25 : 55 > I like how Bill is telling how he solved a shrines and some Nintendo testers were like "how did you do that ? We did not do that way" (lol)

26 : 31 > you can unlock fast travel when you discover a shrine woithout to have to solve it so you can come back later do it when you want it.

30 : 11 > Bill telling that his first big project that he had to translated was Majora mask but Nintendo told him that he can only translate AFTER finishing the game XD

33 : 20 > IGN and Bill started to talk how new Zelda look kinda sad with all those ruins and the feeling how you're alone in the middle of them.

37 : 20 > wolf pet come with its own risk because if you don't tell him to not move be sure that your sneak attack may fell since it will auto attack enemy on sight, lol You can kill the wolf.

That was a fun video to watch listening to their stories of new Zelda :D

deleted

Watching it now...

2. Can kill squirrels, savage, just like the guy who killed a butterfly in the other video, lol

5. Introducing tower with cutscene. That will uncovered the regional map. That's the moment the voice will also tell/show the castle with the shadow appearing.

Lcj0NP3.gif

Lord of Ring ref ? XD

Anyway, thank you very much for sharing your video, I saw a new thing that Nintendo avoided like the plague in its stream so I'm happy XD

Woah, that gif looks awesome!

It looks like a 60s Disney villain or something out of Fantasia... I can't wait to play this game!

Matbtz

they are hoping for 200%

I thought the black space was not in the game as many but I found this interview of Reggie :
https://youtu.be/jYiRDXwXgJ0?t=7m12s

Maybe that's nothing, maybe he don't know exactly what he's saying but he clearly shows the black screen beyond the map, saying that area was not unlocked yet.

Don't know if that was already posted.

CaVaYeRo

Watching it now...

Lcj0NP3.gif

Lord of Ring ref ? XD

Exactly. The rep asking me to kill that poor squirrel :(

And again NP. Which new thing do you mean?

Peléo

So, I was reading the itens descriptions here: http://zeldawiki.org/Material and tried to discover any additional information that could be hidden in between the lines. Most of it is speculation of course, but nonetheless interesting:

Amber: A fossilized resin with a caramelesque sheen to it. It's usually traded for Rupees but can also be used in accessories.
This hints heavily for an, already almost confirmed, craft system. Wonder what exactly are acessories. Maybe Amber works as a cosmetic feature.

Ancient Screw: A screw used in ancient machinery. It's made of an unknown material, and no matter how many times it's turned, its threads never seem to show sign of wear.
The text heavily emphasises the Ancient Screw resilience nature. I think it will be used in the craft system as a way to increase weapon durability.

Ancient Spring: A spring used in ancient machinery. It is light and buoyant enough to float on water, and no matter how many times it's compressed, it never loses tension.
Similarly, here they emphasises the tension strength. I think Ancient Spring will increase the durability of Bows, while the Ancient Screw will increace the durability of Weapons.

Bokoblin Liver: A rare material obtained by defeating a Bokoblin. It convulses on its own every now and then, which is really creepy, but perhaps it has a use.
Haven´t seen this material at all. The link has an image in case anyway is curious about what it look like. It basically confirms there will be rarer drops. Have no idea what the description implies though, maybe something bomb-related.

Chuchu Jelly: A gelatinous substance that came from a Chuchu. It's unusable in this state, but applying a bit of electric current may change its form.
"Applying a bit of electric current." Maybe there is an iten with electrical properties and there is some kind of interaction (like using flint and firewood to turn into fire). Maybe you place some jelly inside a deactivated machine, shoot a thunder arrow and ia activates again.

Topaz: This rare yellow gem is said to contain electrical powers and can be sold for a high price.
Sapphire: A valuable blue gem mined from natural rock formations. Sapphires are said to contain the essence of ice within them. Sells for a very high price.
Ruby: A valuable material mined from large stones in Hyrule. Rubies hold the power of fire within them. Can be sold for a very high price.
I think it will possible to add elemental properties to Weapons, besides obviously Arrows and Rods. Also, considering the Topaz, the Chuchu Jelly and they mentions of thundersbolts during rainstorms, I think electricity will be an element such as Fire and Ice.

Hightail Lizard: A lizard that darts off quickly when it senses danger. Cook it alongside monster parts to increase your movement speed.
Hot-Footed Frog: An energetic frog that can be found hopping around near water. Cook it with monster parts to draw out its speed-boost effect.
Rushroom: A mushroom that can grow almost anywhere but prefers cielings and sheer cliffs. Cook it before eating to temporarily increase your movement speed.
Endura Shroom: A rare yellowish-orange mushroom. Cook it before eating to temporarily increase your stamina limit.
Stamella Shroom: A green mushroom that grows near trees in the forest. It's chock-full of natural energy. Cook it to realease its stamina-restoration properties.
Interesting how all this effect are related to Stamina but function differently. Lizard, Frog and Rushroom increase your speed. Endura increases your maximum stamina. Stamella heals the stamina.

Spicy Pepper: This pepper is exploding with spice. Cook with it to create dishes that will raise your body temperature and help you withstand the cold.
Sizzlewing Butterfly: A butterfly found in the woods and plains of warm regions. Its wings absorb teh warmth of the sun. Cook it with monster parts to create an elixir that makes you feel warm and fuzzy.
As expected, there will also be a warm counterpart for the Spicy Pepper. Extremely Hot & Dry area confirmed.

Ice Keese Wing: A rare Ice Keese wing. Its frozen surface gleams attractively, but its usefulness isn't readily apparent.
Hints towards cosmetic properties.

Keese Eyeball: A rare material dropped by a defeated Keese. It's fun to look at, but it doesn't seem to have much use. Maybe a collector would be interested in it...
This almost confirms there will be a NPC which will reward you something for bringing in eyeballs.

White Chuchu Jelly: A jiggly substance that came from a White Chuchu. It's cool to the touch and squeezing it seems to relieve stress. If struck, it will explode in a cold mist.
This is probably the most intriguing description so far. Maybe there will be a smoke bomb type of item? Would open cool stealth gameplay options.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Heh, those sideburns stand out like crazy. Maybe this is one of the reasons they didn't show him in his classic green. It would be way easy to pin him to the LTTP incarnation.

Didnt realize how similar they both looked though...

edit: which is the oot one?

Some people here think that this Link is the same Link who "failed" in OoT which caused the Hero's Downfall timeline

Personally I think they would be insane to acknowledge that event (
Hero's Downfall
) in a game, but others disagree.

DrWong

Ok played it today and as I was expecting the game looks better compared to the streams, with more vivids colors. Some framerate drops but nothing huge. When playing I just climbed everywhere lol.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

Nosgotham

The more I think about it, the more I really just want Breath of the Wind to be its own thing. Its own timeline, its own canon. I think it's a mistake for this franchise to place any emphasis at all on establishing cross-game lore as opposed to just taking the Mario approach.

fuck that, im most excited to figure out where this is on timeli ne

Top Bottom