• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zenimax Media Board of Directors dissolved following of the purchase by Xbox/Microsoft

Reindeer

I'm expecting for microsoft to dissolve bethesda. Look at what they have done with most of the studios they have bought before.
Every major publisher has closed down studios over the years, including Sony (I know, what a surprise!). I mean you could argue closure of Sony's studios was much more significant if we look at the games they made. Here's a list of studios Sony shut down:

• Studio Liverpool (F1, Wipeout)
• Bigbig (Pursuit Force, Motorman: Arctic Edge)
• Evolution (Motostorm, Driveclub)
• Incognito (Twisted Metal, Downhill Domination, Warhawk)
• Zipper Interactive (SOCOM, MAG)
• Team Ico (Ico, The Last Guardian)
• Japan Studio (too many games to list)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reindeer

There's more

Evolution Studios - Closed
Guerilla Cambridge - Closed
Incognito Entertainment - Closed
BigBig Studios - Closed
Manchester Studios - Closed
Liverpool Studios - Closed
Zipper Interactive - Closed
Japan Studio - Soon to be Closed

Oh wait, Sony closed those, my bad.
You beat me to it

I'm expecting for microsoft to dissolve bethesda. Look at what they have done with most of the studios they have bought before.
Translation "I hope they dissolve them, I hope this goes belly up. I don't care that entirely different people are in control at Xbox now, ones who seem to know what they are doing. I can't play games on my Playstation so let's reminisce over the good old days when Xbox sucked."

I went from feeling I would never see another dishonored or prey to wow, xbox actually putting those faces on their promo material. Even if teams are eventually dissolved, they have been given a new lease on life here. Everything was pointing to something at Zenimax breaking before this acquisition. They were struggling in a recurring revenue market with their single purchase single player games. Xbox let's them continue making those games without need for sales thanks to being on game pass. This was the best thing for them.

Alright

Banned
Zenimax was purchased by Microsoft.

Bethesda et Al coming to Xbox was a cherry on top.

Microsoft want those sweet, sweet VR/AR IPs, ready for VR integration in to the xbox and wider Microsoft ecosystem. ("Buy 'em out boys" has always been the MS MO)

Imagine doing your Skype conference calls using AR 'Google glass' /hololense style headwear, which allows you to share projections, ideas, screens etc.

JackMcGunns

Uh huh, tell me more about your salt addiction...

giphy.gif

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It was a great move by M$ to rebuild their portfolio and buy a developer that’s how you support a console obviously they have to show society because no one is convinced.
like a boss mic drop GIF

These are not game devs or even the Bethesda publishing division. This are the executive board of directors of the holding company Zenimax Media who get paid billions every year and get to dictate everything.

They have closed less studios then their competition. Before 2017 it was actually an issue with Microsoft not buying studios that were making exclusives for their platform like Bizarre Creations, Bioware and feelplus etc. These studios got bought by other publishers and were shut down/destroyed.

Board members don't make THAT much. They do get well compensated for little work at most fortune 500s though.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There's more

BigBig Studios - Closed

And compared to MS' studios, these are much bigger with tons of games released including games and franchises that sell millions of copies.

And Sony still axed them.

I guess if you aren't ND or Insomniac making games selling 15 million copies, or Media Molecule that gets a free pass to sell games that sell 15 copies, the rest of the studios are on the firing line.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
There's more

BigBig Studios - Closed

Team Ico was dissolved too. Ueda left and took his team with him.

harmny

Banned
Thank God MS saved double fine. I love Tim schafer and every year I was worried they would go bankrupt.
Hopefully he can focus more on games now. And use microsoft to acquire the monkey island license. Disney you are sitting on gold wtf are you doing

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
There's more

BigBig Studios - Closed

How did you manage to make this about Sony vs Microsoft when this thread is about the Zenimax BOD having been dissolve?

I'm always wondering how threads randomly breakout into console wars nonsense, all it takes it one or two posters apparently.

Stuart360

How did you manage to make this about Sony vs Microsoft when this thread is about the Zenimax BOD having been dissolve?

I'm always wondering how threads randomly breakout into console wars nonsense, all it takes it one or two posters apparently.
Read the 3rd post in this thread, it wasnt him that started it.
Some people just cant help themselves.

JackMcGunns

I'm replying to a toxic post about how Microsoft has closed "All these studios" who replied to someone claiming Microsoft "WILL EVENTUALLY DISSOLVE BETHESDA", yet you focus on my witty non-serious sarcastic reply mocking those toxic replies?

Way to go! we can all clearly see the problem, and it's always about taking stupid sides, that's just the way I see it, or maybe people are just high from sniffing their favorite console's plastic that they just missed the whole point, IDK.

Last edited:

Woody337

I'm replying to a toxic post about how Microsoft has closed "All these studios" who replied to someone claiming Microsoft "WILL EVENTUALLY DISSOLVE BETHESDA", yet you focus on my witty non-serious sarcastic reply mocking those toxic replies?

Way to go! we can all clearly see the problem, and it's always about taking stupid sides, that's just the way I see it, or maybe people are just high from sniffing their favorite console's plastic that they just missed the whole point, IDK.
You are so funny...... you are the one that brought console wars into this convo. I never said anything about Xbox vs anyone.

You are talking with closed minded guys like the_mike and streetofbeige who only argument are:"but what about sony". Don't make such embarrassment post, let them dream that inxile, minecraft studio, howard studio, are top tiers. When microsoft will screw up things like always will be funnier.

mortal

Gold Member

Taking sides? Man, what are you talking about?
He was disparaging Microsoft's management, you can agree with him or disagree with him. I don't agree with his prediction there, although he didn't mention any other 1st party publishers. You explicitly made it about Sony for no reason when thread is about Microsoft and Zenimax lol.

Read the 3rd post in this thread, it wasnt him that started it.
Some people just cant help themselves.
I did. Nobody mentioned Sony until he responded with that list.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Or Sony, remember Evolution and Psygnosis?

Virtually all Psygnosis' successes were made by outside contractors, internally it was always a bit of a shit-show and the rot kinda spread across all of Sony's UK studios. See what people outside the UK industry tend not to understand is how amateurish it was in the beginning, people with zero background in game-dev being installed in producer positions and not knowing their arses from their elbows!

The problem is these motherfuckers kinda stuck around, especially the crafty arse-kisser types some of whom managed to fail upwards thanks to basic cronyism. It was like creeping rot within Playstation because for many years the platform as a whole was in a phase of unbroken ascendancy, allowing these types (and yes, I can name names) to basically mooch of other people's successes and blame others for their failures.

The key thing is that end-users only get to see the final product, not the often torturous process of creation. Before fingers get pointed about the wisdom of shutting studios down you need to do a bit of research: If a studio has a hefty headcount (and a burn-rate to match) it needs to be productive, hell even smaller setups need to justify their expenses.

If you look at how little Studio Liverpool produced given its staffing, you'll realize that they should have shut the place down years earlier than they did.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
they're way too big i think. what's the biggest studio MS has shut down after buying them/

If they aren't continuing to be a multi-platform publisher, a huge chunk of the former Zenimax is surplus to requirements. A process that will incur substantial further costs in the short term due to write-downs and redundancy payments but will reduce burn-rate in the long haul.

johntown

Banned
I can only see this as good news. Especially if the board had any hand in Fallout 76 and the generaly direction some Bethesda games had been heading. Maybe we will get a return to the great games of the early 90's etc.

JackMcGunns

Taking sides? Man, what are you talking about?
He was disparaging Microsoft's management, you can agree with him or disagree with him. I don't agree with his prediction there, although he didn't mention any other 1st party publishers. You explicitly made it about Sony for no reason when thread is about Microsoft and Zenimax lol.

I did. Nobody mentioned Sony until he responded with that list.

So it's ok to say Microsoft will eventually dissolve Bethesda, then use a strawman argument showing how they've closed other studios, that's not derailing at all.... amirite? but on the other hand, a normal course of discussion where one would look at their direct competitor (Sony) and examine their handling of studios to see if Microsoft is the only company closing studios; that right there is a problem somehow :goog_unsure:

I think the truth is that it hit a nerve.

mortal

Gold Member
So it's ok to say Microsoft will eventually dissolve Bethesda, then use a strawman argument showing how they've closed other studios, that's not derailing at all.... amirite? but on the other hand, a normal course of discussion where one would look at their direct competitor (Sony) and examine their handling of studios to see if Microsoft is the only company closing studios; that right there is a problem somehow :goog_unsure:

I think the truth is that it hit a nerve.
NothIng hit a nerve. I literally said in my response I don't agree with his prediction, come on man haha. It's a bit of an extreme opinion, but at least it's a statement about Microsoft's management. Not sure he was a actually straw manning anyone in his initial post.

I don't believe he even made the argument that Microsoft were the only ones closing /dissolving studios. So bringing Sony into it was unnecessary. It's been happening constantly on Gaf.

Last edited:
Top Bottom