• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZeniMax: Samsung’s Gear VR tech conceived at id

Link.

Former id Games execs John Carmack and Matt Hooper formulated an “attack plan” for mobile VR that would eventually lead to the creation of Samsung’s Gear VR, while secretly working in id’s offices late one night, according to a new lawsuit filed by ZeniMax last week in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas.

Carmack, who would later go on to work for Oculus, snuck Hooper — recently been fired from his role as id’s creative director — into the id offices in July, 2013. That’s where the two worked up a plan, according to the suit. Later that night, Hooper emailed his contacts at Oculus disclosing that he and Carmack formulated an “attack plan” for the mobile VR work that they would undertake together at Oculus, according to the suit.

The lawsuit, filed Friday evening by ZeniMax, claims that Samsung’s Gear VR headset — powered by the international company’s cell phones — uses technology that infringes on ZeniMax tech and trade secrets because it relies on Oculus software.

The lawsuit filed against Samsung seeks damages, profits from the sales of “infringing works” and “use of trade secrets,” royalties, injunctive relief and punitive damages. It also is asking for attorney fees, court costs and interests.

In March, Carmack sued ZeniMax for $22.5 million for what he said were unpaid earnings.

Both suits come after a Dallas, Texas jury in February awarded half a billion dollars to ZeniMax after finding that Oculus co-founder Palmer Luckey, and by extension Oculus, failed to comply with a non-disclosure agreement he signed.

In awarding ZeniMax $500 million, the jury also said that Oculus did not misappropriate trade secrets as contended by ZeniMax.

Of the $500 million, Oculus is paying out $200 million for breaking the NDA and $50 million for copyright infringement. Oculus and Luckey each have to pay $50 million for false designation. And former Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe has to pay $150 million for the same, final count.

ZeniMax writes that despite winning its case against Oculus, Samsung, which should have been aware of the outcome, continues to use the technology and even released an updated version of the Gear VR which continues to say it is “powered by Oculus.”

Lock if old.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Damn....now they are going for the Samsung money. Gotta recoup those Prey development costs.

Chindogg

Luckey was a shithead but the previous court proved that Carmack didn't steal any work.

At this point ZeniMax needs to get the fuck over it.

I think the angle ZeniMax might be taking here is putting into question whether Carmack was in a breach of contract. If I recall, ZeniMax won, right? It just didn't implicate that Carmack stole anything and I think Carmack countersued because he claims ZeniMax withheld a final payout a few years after they bought Id.

The only thing ZeniMax won was that a NDA was violated. That was basically it. It has nothing to do with Samsung's tech being from a property they owned, which is what they're trying to establish before but lost.

OmegaFax

Luckey was a shithead but the previous court proved that Carmack didn't steal any work.

At this point ZeniMax needs to get the fuck over it.

I think the angle ZeniMax might be taking here is putting into question whether Carmack was in a breach of contract. If I recall, ZeniMax won, right? It just didn't implicate that Carmack stole anything and I think Carmack countersued because he claims ZeniMax withheld a final payout a few years after they bought Id.

Nzyme32

Watch out, Valve.

For now, while it's convenient. But I think they're plotting.

Why? All the stuff Zenimax is doing is based one evidence they have from previous employees and how that connects to "id's tech". This is separate to Valve's tech, which if anything Valve also got duped on. Via Ben Krasnow:

"It fits a pattern. I was a hardware engineer at Valve during the early VR days, working mostly on Lighthouse and the internal dev headset. There were a few employees who insisted that the Valve VR group give away both hardware and software to Oculus with the hope that they would work together with Valve on VR. The tech was literally given away -- no contract, no license. After the facebook acquisition, these folks presumably received large financial incentives to join facebook, which they did. It was the most questionable thing I've seen in my whole career, and was partially caused by Valve's flat management structure and general lack of oversight."

Even according to another employee, the rift headset tech is near identical to their work "steam sight"

NoPiece

Maybe they have a case, if they do they have every right to go after them.

Maybe they have a case, or maybe they are just a lawsuit happy corporation.

http://www.pcgamer.com/bethesda-nobody-here-enjoys-being-forced-into-scrolls-lawsuit/

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/3/15534924/prey-for-the-gods-praey-for-the-gods-trademark-name-change

also:

ZeniMax was founded in 1999 by Bethesda Softworks founder Chris Weaver and Robert A. Altman. Weaver's vision was to use Bethesda Softworks as the basis to create a hybrid media company to create cross-media properties such as PC and console games; interactive TV; mobile; web and new media. Weaver invited Altman to help him run the new company, but potential investors were wary of Altman because of his previous involvement in the BCCI scandal as well as making new investments in the field. As part of the deal, Weaver, sole owner of Bethesda Softworks, contributed his stock so that the new shell company (Zenimax) would be able to obtain funding. Robert Altman installed himself as CEO and convinced Weaver to take the position of CTO — a move that ultimately resulted in Weaver being forced out by Altman in 2002. Although still the largest shareholder, Weaver no longer has any day-to-day responsibilities with Zenimax. Altman is still CEO.

The whole company was founded on legal backstabbing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Why? All the stuff Zenimax is doing is based one evidence they have from previous employees and how that connects to "id's tech". This is separate to Valve's tech, which if anything Valve also got duped on. Via Ben Krasnow:

"It fits a pattern. I was a hardware engineer at Valve during the early VR days, working mostly on Lighthouse and the internal dev headset. There were a few employees who insisted that the Valve VR group give away both hardware and software to Oculus with the hope that they would work together with Valve on VR. The tech was literally given away -- no contract, no license. After the facebook acquisition, these folks presumably received large financial incentives to join facebook, which they did. It was the most questionable thing I've seen in my whole career, and was partially caused by Valve's flat management structure and general lack of oversight."

Even according to another employee, the rift headset tech is near identical to their work "steam sight"

Jesus. lol
So Valve may get screwed because they gave tech to Occulus, which Zenimax can just claim was stolen from them by Carmack.

atr0cious

Jesus. lol
So Valve may get screwed because they gave tech to Occulus, which Zenimax can just claim was stolen from them by Carmack.
If anything, valve would show receipts and then Oculus itself would be on shaky ground if that post up above is to be believed.

Raven117

What the Eff was Carmack thinking? The dude has been around tech long enough that this sort of stuff will get you knocked in the dirt.

Top Bottom