• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zeno Effect confirmed: Atoms won't move when observed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mentat

Banned
As other people have noted, "observing" here means "causally interacting with". The thing that's being interacted with doesn't have to be conscious.

Saladinoo

Atoms are these guys:

Boo+Super+Mario+Shy+Hiding.JPG

Appreciate dat

FyreWulff

I am not a smart person, so the only way I can understand it is in it's simplest cheesy scifi-way, which can't be true, can it?

Can somebody explain this to a stupid guy like me? What do they mean by 'observe'? Atoms obviously can't be aware they're being watched. Doesn't it simply mean that we can't observe the change even though it is happening? Or...wait what?

To measure something you must interact with it.

If you think you understand Quantum Mechanics, you do not understand Quantum Mechanics. -- My Quantum Mechanics professor

Seriously cool research. Didn't know of this effect but it seems to follow naturally from collapsing the wave form. Awesome stuff.

Richard Feynman.

without reading the articles, this would be more like suspending an unstable particle from degrading, due it being held by its interaction (magnetic field or similar) with the measurement equipment. Suggesting the particle gets a say in it is absurd.

compare it to this as visualisation (quite common in platformer video games):

imagine a small round magnet in a gel tube where it slowly descends (to a would-be bottom, but let's pretend the bottom is open and the magnet would fall out if it descends far enough). Or would, because you've put a large magnet on a pendulum and swing it over the tube in a regular pattern. Every time the small magnet in the gel will descend, but each swing the pendulum will add enough energy to pull it back up.
If the pendulum is the only way to observe the magnet, you would find it being in the upper state (of the gel) the entire time if you measure at an adequate frequency. It would still lose energy (descend) during the off time, but never enough to have to lose energy by degrading completely (which is falling out of the tube in this little model).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
without reading the articles, this would be more like suspending an unstable particle from degrading, due it being held by its interaction (magnetic field or similar) with the measurement equipment. Suggesting the particle gets a say in it is absurd.

The article does not suggest anything else. Not volition nor awareness.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
eh, not as impressive if you're actually interfering with the atom, of course it isn't gonna like that and freeze up :(

FyreWulff

Not always right? I mean not all measurements involve an interaction with the source e.g. Astronomy.

With astronomy we are interacting with the light those objects have sent towards us. Measurement of that light destroys the photons that object has sent towards us.

Gravitationally, we are interacting with everything in the universe right now, as an aside.

Stinkles

Not always right? I mean not all measurements involve an interaction with the source e.g. Astronomy.

You are literally capturing photons from the object in astronomy, but that's beside the point, it's talking about subatomic objects. Which arguably aren't even objects but something more nuanced.

Does this explain how half of GAF showers irregularly, but doesn't stink until observed by a passerby's olfactory senses?

Sometimes called the "wash-off effect"

3phemeral

Can anyone clarify what "Emergent Classicality" is? From what I've been piecing together, frequently measuring an atom causes that atom (I guess, in this case, an unstable atom) to react in a classical manner i.e. as classical, non-quantum macro objects would. Is that accurate?

Window

I meant interaction in the sense of not altering the original process (source) which causes/emits the subsequent EM signals which are observed. Yes, the instruments which read these signals will cause some sort of distortion but that's where calibration and signal processing comes in to reduce instrumentation errors. The case here from what I understand is that the observation involves an alteration of the conditions under which the process is taking place right?

FyreWulff

Is there any sort of speculation as to maybe why this happens?

the method of the observation is enough to induce stabilization for the atom

like.. hmmm.. imagine there's a ball rolling across the field, being moved by the wind. To measure it's size, you have to walk up and put a string around it. The string will stop the ball from moving. the ball doesn't "know" it has a string around it and stopped, your measurement method stopped it.

You obviously are using a tool to observe these things in the first place. It's not simply because you are spectating them with your eyes.

gaugebozo

Is there any sort of speculation as to maybe why this happens?
In quantum mechanics, if you know the state a particle is in, its state at a different time is e^(i H t) x initial state. So if t is very small, the exponential is about one, and it will still be in it's initial state. Measure enough times close enough together, and the state doesn't change.

Edit: i is √-1, and H has to do with the energy of the particle.

aeolist

Banned
quantum mechanics is weird but this isn't that hard to understand. we have to keep hitting things with photons to observe them, obviously that's going to have an effect at a small enough scale.

the method of the observation is enough to induce stabilization for the atom

like.. hmmm.. imagine there's a ball rolling across the field, being moved by the wind. To measure it's size, you have to walk up and put a string around it. The string will stop the ball from moving. the ball doesn't "know" it has a string around it and stopped, your measurement method stopped it.

But from what I read and understand(I really don't know much about this), aren't the tests not necessarily hindering "the movement" much like a string around a ball would?

Air

Banned
Can anyone clarify what "Emergent Classicality" is? From what I've been piecing together, frequently measuring an atom causes that atom (I guess, in this case, an unstable atom) to react in a classical manner i.e. as classical, non-quantum macro objects would. Is that accurate?

https://www.reddit.com/r/science/comments/3pw7xy/one_of_the_oddest_predictions_of_quantum/cw9yjf2

Edit: some great questions, and some great answers in this thread. I should clarify that I am a 4th year physics major, not a PhD or anything, but I'll do my best to explain a little further. The larger a system gets, the more it's constituent particles interact, and you get into something called the semi-classical or classic limit. The particles are constricted more and more to smaller and smaller areas by the interactions with neighbours, so exhibit less and less wave properties. This is why you don't diffract when you go through a door. This principle applies when you throw enough photons at a particle to know where it is. As soon as you know approximately where it is (by detecting where the photons go) it's been restricted to some small region by the photon interactions, and so cannot display the wave characteristics that lead to diffraction and tunnelling, because the waveform is too local. This is called collapsing the waveform. Apologies for any formatting errors, I'm on mobile.

So I think yeah, the waveform collapses and starts acting classically.

As I understand the article:
Structure, not atom. They've created a supercooled matrix structure where normally there would occur quantum tunnelling within the structure, making the atoms shift positions in an unpredictable manner. Meaning you wouldn't know the complex state (relative positions within the matrix) of the structure until you measure it.

By pulsing / measuring it continuously at a greater intensity, you can start to keep the atoms in the structure in the same positions and start to make regular (classical) predictions on where they will be next, whereas normally quantum measurement are too small and too quick to be predictable in that manner (which is not the same as inherently unpredictable, but we could never measure that state of complexity).

'Emergent' is a quality of complex systems to create a 'higher' (more complex) phenomenon when it gains a critical mass of sorts. A hundred ants are just ants, a hundred thousand becomes an ant hill / colony.
This quantum structure becomes a more regular matrix structure under the experimental conditions, which is what they mean. "Pseudo-classical" might have been a better name though.

edit: oh, we already had that. Oh well, I tried. Not a physicist either.

3phemeral

As I understand the article:
Structure, not atom. They've created a supercooled matrix structure where normally there would occur quantum tunnelling within the structure, making the atoms shift positions in an unpredictable manner. Meaning you wouldn't know the complex state (relative positions within the matrix) of the structure until you measure it.

By pulsing / measuring it continuously at a greater intensity, you can start to keep the atoms in the structure in the same positions and start to make regular (classical) predictions on where they will be next, whereas normally quantum measurement are too small and too quick to be predictable in that manner (which is not the same as inherently unpredictable, but we could never measure that state of complexity).

'Emergent' is a quality of complex systems to create a 'higher' (more complex) phenomenon when it gains a critical mass of sorts. A hundred ants are just ants, a hundred thousand becomes an ant hill / colony.
This quantum structure becomes a more regular matrix structure under the experimental conditions, which is what they mean. "Pseudo-classical" might have been a better name though.

Interesting. So when these atoms are forced to behavior in a classical manner, does this at all take away from understanding its quantum behavior?

From what I'm understanding of this, you can make classical predictions by forcing them to collapse into a state in which they exhibit classical behavior. But it's coming off as knowing one side of a coin but still being unable to observe the other. Still so fascinating.

Foffy

Banned
For lack of a better way of phrasing this, does this mean these atoms are affected by conscious interaction? I don't mean conscious in the sense of awareness, as if this happens because of minds, but more like resonance; something interacting with it through an action.

Very interesting happening, if that's it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So I think this indicates my line of thinking that things can't advance through infinitely-divisible space, and in fact it is only probabilities that determine that something has changed state/interacted with something else.

Meaning nothing really moves through space, probabilities just determine where things stand at a given moment. Something that interacts with nothing at all either doesn't exist, or is still interacting but on a very low probability basis. Meaning if a particle was to go very far away from anything in the universe, it would be increasingly less "real" in a deterministic sense; it might no longer be exactly where we would think it would be, but in many possible places at once, and only probabilities will define where it ultimately is after interactions increase again (for example, if a meteor got increasingly close to where that particle might be).

So Zeno was kind of right.

In a way we can see probabilities as a form of gravitational force; a particle "smears" across space in all directions at the same time, but probabilities will pull it into a specific direction, and those probabilities are basically the sum of all other states at a given time. Something is more probable if more interactions are occurring.

number47

But from what I read and understand(I really don't know much about this), aren't the tests not necessarily hindering "the movement" much like a string around a ball would?
Ding ding ding. Now to do the same experiment from a further distance. So....we need stronger lens?

Stinkles

For lack of a better way of phrasing this, does this mean these atoms are affected by conscious interaction? I don't mean conscious in the sense of awareness, as if this happens because of minds, but more like resonance; something interacting with it through an action.

Very interesting happening, if that's it.

A dumb computer could continue to probe this particle indefinitely with no human operator and it would maintain its state. Not sure if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom