• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

Using them in the middle of a fight is insanely risky. You can do it but you need to back up and 180 and keep moving as fast as you can. The blast radius seems to be big as well.

This is why I say they're useless. The blast radius. Obviously trying to put them down when a zombie's already after you is useless. It'll get triggered before you can get far enough away. And of course even when a zombie isn't after you, placing it in a confined space where you still are but can't get far enough away after luring a zombie either with yourself or a flare is well, just stupid placement on your part.

Seems they're only good if you've got a lot of room to place, run far away and lure a mess of zombies into it. But why even do that if you've got enough room, just go around so they don't see you.

I didn't find the
nursery
hard at all. Where you fight the
radar jamming zombie chick, in one of the corners, there's a half wall in the shape of an L that makes a little alcove that she can only come at you one direction. I backed myself into that corner and just waited for her to come at me. Hit her with the cricket bat like 4-5 times and she'll flash away. Then rinse and repeat a few more times. I did this with only the cricket bat and not losing any life. Now escaping the hoard afterward was a different story.

Sanctuary

The trick to using mines is
flare usage, and already knowing what to expect. For an initial run they are essentially useless, although you are semi-required to use a mine at least once for the arena. Although you get two for that event.

I didn't find the
nursery
hard at all. Where you fight the
radar jamming zombie chick, in one of the corners, there's a half wall in the shape of an L that makes a little alcove that she can only come at you one direction. I backed myself into that corner and just waited for her to come at me. Hit her with the cricket bat like 4-5 times and she'll flash away. Then rinse and repeat a few more times. I did this with only the cricket bat and not losing any life. Now escaping the hoard afterward was a different story.

That wasn't hard for me either, and
I found and hid in that same alcove my first try. The music and sound effects made it pretty intense though, and I expected a huge swarm at any moment to come rushing out.
The part I was talking about was
the horde outside when you're trying to unlock the shortcut door. It was cake the second time there since I learned the shortcuts beforehand, but initially it was crazy and I barely survived.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
The game really picks up in difficulty at the halfway point. I've died four times in the last hour and half, while only dying four times period the first eight hours of playing.

It's amazing how the game can look so good at some points, yet so medicore at others. Sunlight is not ZombiU's friend. Game is still tense/scary as hell though!

Just got to Buckingham Palace, and the intensity picked up. Went from 'this is a pretty cool game' to 'fuck yes this game rocks!'

Now to go on a corpse run. After powering off the WiiU that is. Damn hard locks...

Bit of a rookie question, but I just lost my survivor carrying all of my weapons. Where can I get these back? Is it at random or the original spots? I miss my cross bow and silenced pistol.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just got to Buckingham Palace, and the intensity picked up. Went from 'this is a pretty cool game' to 'fuck yes this game rocks!'

Now to go on a corpse run. After powering off the WiiU that is. Damn hard locks...

So glad ZombiU has never locked up on me. It was just kill my will to play it.

Skiesofwonder

So glad ZombiU has never locked up on me. It was just kill my will to play it.

I haven't had it lock up on me either (yet), but I did have a glitch pop up where the loot screen didn't show up and my character therefore got stuck trying to loot a dead Zombie. I had to restart the game as a result, but thankfully I had just started as a new survivor.

Sanctuary

My first lockup was essentially one of the ending sequences--and it's 100% reproducible. Fortunately it didn't kill me though, or I would have been super pissed, since I had not died before it happened. Let me just say, when it comes time for one of the ending sequences
near a place you're very familiar with;
don't dawdle.

Bit of a rookie question, but I just lost my survivor carrying all of my weapons. Where can I get these back? Is it at random or the original spots? I miss my cross bow and silenced pistol.

Once your backpack is gone for good, all of your weapons and ammo that were inside are gone forever, and there's no backups of those same weapons (although you do get similar weapons from the same family). You have to kill the infected survivor without dying and before some other random person does.

If you lost your crossbow, you may as well bite the big one and reset the game. You honestly become severely crippled in the long run if you lose the bow.

Sanctuary

Are people just using their Gaf names, with "NG or NeoGaf" afterwards or something? I was thinking about doing that on my next few runs, but I've been using various random names, until I decided to use my GameFaqs name. My first was King.Diamond, and my current is Isaac-Redfield. I had BarryBurton at one point.

Skiesofwonder

My first lockup was essentially one of the ending sequences--and it's 100% reproducible. Fortunately it didn't kill me though, or I would have been super pissed, since I had not died before it happened. Let me just say, when it comes time for one of the ending sequences
near a place you're very familiar with;
don't dawdle.

Once your backpack is gone for good, all of your weapons and ammo that were inside are gone forever, and there's no backups of those same weapons (although you do get similar weapons from the same family). You have to kill the infected survivor without dying and before some other random person does.

If you lost your crossbow, you may as well bite the big one and reset the game. You honestly become severely crippled in the long run if you lose the bow.

Well great, I just lost my crossbow in the Tower of London. Though I think the CCTV showed the location of another... I need to recheck next time I play.

Jarsonot

First of all, thank you WiiRevolution, sanctuary, and others for spoiler tagging so well.

My wife loves zombies and likes watching me play this. The first time I played I moved pretty quickly and went through a number of survivors, got disgusted with the combat, and quit.

Day later I had another go, started getting the "feel" of it. Played a bit of multiplayer and then restarted my game. I'm now about to head for (early location spoiler)
Buckingham Palace
and haven't died yet. I understand the combat much more now, and have always been addicted to exploring awesome environments like this and it is often tense and scary in a great way.

Wife had to go to bed so I went through the loading door, and immediately saved and quit. I'm really itching to start the other save file just to see what's next.

Also her versus me in an FPS would be no fun for us at all, but THIS multiplayer lets us compete in a pretty fun way. At first she'd send chasers after me, couple of red guys on a flag, and be out of points. I'd kill everyone and she started sending one at time at me, as soon as she could afford them.

Realizing one at a time was pretty much useless she's gotten much, much craftier. Letting her resources build up to set up assaults on me: spitter behind two chasers, explosive guy coming from behind. I'm busy dealing with the obvious, don't notice explodo dude 'til he's too close, have to abandon ship.

Constantly watching to see if she's capturing a flag, constantly needing to move around the map to regain ammo. It's pretty fun, and since I have black ops to scratch "that" itch this is a great alternative multiplayer. I wouldn't replace black ops multiplayer for this, but it's a great alternative to what I'm used to, and the wife will play it.

Awesome game.

Edit: crap! The other save is survivor mode, and as glad I am that that exists, would've been nice to have two saves.

Sanctuary

Survival Day: 5 playthrough is up:

Also, what's the strategy against a group of zombies with a spitter?

What do you mean? Could you be more specific? One of the earliest that I can think of would be the
the piano room with the stairs near the beginning of the Buckingham section right after the elevator. Simply wait until you see that it's engaged you, wait for it to be right out of spit range and simply toss a flare, then molotov after the swarm congregates. Easy peasy. For wide open areas you just have to constantly move, but there's only one sequence that I can think of where that happens. Otherwise, make liberal use of the sprint key to retreat. Not all zombies in a group will forever chase you, and you can lure 1-2 of them away from the group by doing this. When it's 1 on 1, all you have to do is shoot at it right before it spits to interrupt it, or if you're too slow or too far, simply shoot, then move to the side out of line of sight right before it spits and repeat until either it's dead or closer. Honestly, I think that the flare is the easiest solution to spitters in a group situation. Otherwise you need to just thin out the herd.

I'm watching your video right now. You remind me of a college radio host. :)

Edit: crap! The other save is survivor mode, and as glad I am that that exists, would've been nice to have two saves.

You can have as many saves as you have the patience to slog through setting up other Nintendo IDs. You don't need a different email either. In fact, you don't even need a valid email to setup an ID unless you want promotional notices. That's how I practiced for my no death run, instead of simply doing Survivor mode to begin with (no idea why I did it that way...I just did). I had my one save where I had died at one point and needed practice for that area. On my no death save, I played until right before that point, then went back to my other game to practice it.

What do you mean? Could you be more specific? One of the earliest that I can think of would be the
the piano room with the stairs near the beginning of the Buckingham section right after the elevator. Simply wait until you see that it's engaged you, wait for it to be right out of spit range and simply toss a flare, then molotov after the swarm congregates. Easy peasy. For wide open areas you just have to constantly move, but there's only one sequence that I can think of where that happens. Otherwise, make liberal use of the sprint key to retreat. Not all zombies in a group will forever chase you, and you can lure 1-2 of them away from the group by doing this.

Yep, that's exactly where I encountered one. I got a Molotov and a flare so I'll probably use them here. Is there a safehouse coming up soon?

So, where do you get the crossbow? I have a lot of ammo but have yet to find it. I'm also starting to see more people, just looting your dead bodies. Oh look, more ammo, big health pack.

Sanctuary

Yep, that's exactly where I encountered one. I got a Molotov and a flare so I'll probably use them here. Is there a safehouse coming up soon?

Err, you reach the safe house shortcut in Buckingham
through the lab. It's directly to the left of the room that has the 3-4 contained zombies.

So, where do you get the crossbow? I have a lot of ammo but have yet to find it.

It's in Buckingham, in the same crawlspace area around where you grabbed the XL bag (if you did!). That's accessible right after you grab a plot item. It's right below the ladder, on the way to the revolving section of the wall that puts you back near the beginning of the elevator floors section.

I know it's a personal preference and everything, but really the best weapons in the game I think are:
1. The crossbow: infinite ammo as long as you don't miss. Can kill most zombies 1 on 1 with three shots (the three tougher kinds require six) and you can reload before they reach you thanks to it's pushback. Can also of course headshot snipe, insta kill too.
2. The pistol (two headshots kills most everything)
Any shotgun although the first and third at easily the best two
4. The cricket bat since it's needed for specific zombie types unless you enjoy wasting ammo. There are also plenty of times where it's simply the most practical weapon to use. But it's not particularly "fun" at all.
5. Flares, molotovs, grenades.

Everything else seems to be a complete waste of space. Even though you can get some mileage out of the
carbines
, the ammo is too scarce to use it in a situation that you can't simply use the pistol. The other weapon types are used way too infrequently, and quite a few of them just seem pointless. I also never saw the purpose of the
silenced pistol
, and I simply used it just for the ammo that came with it and then stashed it forever.

I also have yet to understand what the hell the firing speed upgrades are for. Since ammo is limited, there's no reason to fire (and miss) faster. When you hit an enemy in the head (which is the best way to conserve ammo), they recoil, so firing off a second shot right away will almost certainly miss. With the
automatic weapons you can sort of spray and pray starting from their midsection and bursting up to their head, but it's still a waste of ammo.

The shortcut placement in Buckingham kind of sucks. A lot of people, myself included, seem to overlook it.

Also, thanks for the link to your ZombiU vids. I've been meaning to watch them after finishing the game.

Sanctuary

The shortcut placement in Buckingham kind of sucks. A lot of people, myself included, seem to overlook it.

IIRC it's simply because
there's not actually a safe house icon like at every other door
. I found it by mistake my first time there because I was trying to open all of the doors
in the lab

Jarsonot

Got my survivor up to (early)
Buckingham Palace
. Goes a lot quicker the third time through. =)

Scared to go ahead with my survivor, good call on the different IDs, but lame.

So... I'm thinking I'll now have three saves: the play through my wife is watching (can only play when she can watch), my survivor mode guy, and a new ID for practice.

Time to make a Zombi Mii. =)

I know a lot of people disagree, but the Wii U might be my favorite launch of any system ever. Zombi U is absolutely incredible, and between this, Scribblenauts, Mario U, and Nintendo Land, it is by far the most fun I've ever had with a system at launch. And the two third party ports I have, Sonic Racing and Darksiders 2, aren't nearly as bad as Hyperbole GAF try to make them.

IIRC it's simply because
there's not actually a safe house icon like at every other door
. I found it by mistake my first time there because I was trying to open all of the doors
in the lab

So, the shortcut is right inside the
lab where the scientist is at, right?

Sanctuary

That's pretty much how the game is. Initially I truly started to feel discouraged, because the early areas are so god awful in comparison to the rest. The overreliance on the bat early on too makes you wonder if that's how the majority of the game will play out. You still end up using that unbreakable board way too much, but it becomes a lot more bearable once you get new weapons to try out.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I know a lot of people disagree, but the Wii U might be my favorite launch of any system ever. Zombi U is absolutely incredible, and between this, Scribblenauts, Mario U, and Nintendo Land, it is by far the most fun I've ever had with a system at launch. And the two third party ports I have, Sonic Racing and Darksiders 2, aren't nearly as bad as Hyperbole GAF try to make them.

I'm in your boat. ZombiU turning out to be something special (if eclectic) after all has made this a really great launch for me. Only game you list there I don't have is Scribblenauts; going to grab a copy of that after finishing off NSMB U fully.

Sanctuary

I think the SNES launch was a bit better IMO. Super Mario Brothers, and Super Castlevania 4 was only a few months away (not launch I know, but close enough). Two all time classic games. Hmm, on second thought, maybe the N64 since Mario 64 was even better than Super.

Funny how in both cases it was a Nintendo system though. I don't know about the Wii U launch however. ZombiU is great and all, but that's practially the only launch game I care about--and I'm about done with it--and I've yet to see anything interesting on the horizon. Bayonetta 2 is an exclusive for now, but I never really appreciated the first game all that much due to the quirky aesthetics. Great action game, but terribly polarizing designs.

Teknoman

Protip: Dont try to play ZombiU and have a youtube video on in the background.

First death from trying to up my carbine skills after getting ambushed.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
This is the only launch game that is making feel like I'm really missing out on an experience that was tailor made for me. I truly hope that ZombiU becomes a franchise, because it deserves a sequel about 300x more than Red Steel did.

With a bigger budget, longer dev cycle and a team more experienced with optimized WiiU devkits, a sequel could easily set a new precedent for what a successful survival horror game can be. That is if the first game already hasn't set that precedent. I'm so tired of losing horror franchises to dudebros because publishers feel they need to tap into the COD crowd.

Teknoman

Why would you be watching anything other than your GamePad and your TV screen? Especially with this game =p

I should've paused the game. Thought I was safe right outside a makeshift safehouse since there were no zombies before. I was wrong.

Of course I probably shouldnt have been trying to use a carbine that close. Lol its a worse feeling than putting down the controller in Demon's/Dark Souls PS3, and accidentally hitting an npc, or getting invaded. Also did the prepper just say the queen was
a reptilian
?

A player named "UncookedBeef" died right outside of the safehouse with only a score of 60 and carrying a soda. I thought it was the Ubisoft special zombie or something.

Sanctuary

A player named "UncookedBeef" died right outside of the safehouse with only a score of 60 and carrying a soda. I thought it was the Ubisoft special zombie or something.

No. Play enough and you'll find plenty of 0 - 120 characters roaming around the starting areas. My favorite was a little over halfway through the game, where I killed someone with a 4k or so score that dropped two flares, four medpacks and a ton of ammo. At that point though I only had room for two items. So I simply finished the level with what was already on me, then ran back to grab the rest of the party favors.

NateDrake

No. Play enough and you'll find plenty of 0 - 120 characters roaming around the starting areas. My favorite was a little over halfway through the game, where I killed someone with a 4k or so score that dropped two flares, four medpacks and a ton of ammo. At that point though I only had room for two items. So I simply finished the level with what was already on me, then ran back to grab the rest of the party favors.

Just encountered a similar thing. Killed a zombie with 5 medpacks, tons of ammo and a flare. Right after killing him I got ambushed by zombies and destroyed them thanks to the equipment I got off him. Flare + grenade/Molotov Cocktail = Awesome.

Why are the walkers attracted to flares? I find that funny and awesome at the same time - just watching a group of zombies ignore my freshly boiling blood to go after some light.

Sanctuary

The Prepper explains it at the very start of the game. They are attracted to bright lights, which is why he warns you about using your flashlight too much when you're around zombies. It's also very useful to use your flashlight to draw out zombies from a larger pack (those that are facing you will start walking towards you, while those with their backs turned remain oblivious).

Remember your question and my reply when you reach another popular (on this board anyway) area of the game, that's probably 30% of the way through. You'll probably laugh.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I don't know what's going on in this game. I died on the way back from the supermarket to zombies that spawned outside, respawned at the safe house which is now apparently under assault by a horde of zombies. All I got to go on is what this dude on the radio tells me in thick british english that I can't understand. "Batten down the hatches?"

I suppose the next mission started when I returned to the safe house via death?

Sanctuary

Just sounds like one of the minor inconsistency issues the game has. Instead of the game recognizing that you had died, your respawn simply triggered the next event, since that happens once you hit the safe house.

As far as the dialogue goes; I don't have too much trouble understanding what The Prepper is saying most of the time, but there are a few parts of the game where they completely blast out the dialogue with music and you can't understand a word of what is being said.
I also cannot understand half of what the scientist is saying to you over the comms whenever you're outside of the lab.
It just sounds like a muffled mess. And I'm wearing headphones.

Also, I might be wrong about permanently losing your items if someone else kills your infected survivor before you reach it (or you simply die on the way). Someone is claiming that the poster near the CCTV says that if you die, use the CCTV to find your gear somewhere else in the world. Kind of defeats the purpose of the death mechanic doesn't it? You get all of your gear back with just a little backtracking. The developers specifically stated that you will lose all of the gear in your bag.

Jarsonot

I don't know what's going on in this game. I died on the way back from the supermarket to zombies that spawned outside, respawned at the safe house which is now apparently under assault by a horde of zombies. All I got to go own is what this dude on the radio tells me in thick british english that I can't understand. "Batten down the hatches?"

I suppose the next mission started when I returned to the safe house via death?

I hear ya. I died before entering the market, after leaving the market, and multiple times soon after at the assault. It wasn't pretty. Get better with the combat and don't be afraid to run away from multiple zombies too close to you.

Push is your best friend. Single zombie gets the bat, groups (3 or so) get the gun 'til you bat the last one to death.

I restarted a few times =) and got the combat down, started moving more slowly and scanning shit, and I love it now. It's still early in the game for me, I'm still nervous when taking on multiple zombies, but pushing them away and herding them in circles works well.

Will a character ever level up the bat, to take less hits to kill for instance? I'm aware it's possible to change the look of it.

Jarsonot

Also, I might be wrong about permanently losing your items if someone else kills your infected survivor before you reach it (or you simply die on the way). Someone is claiming that the poster near the CCTV says that if you die, use the CCTV to find your gear somewhere else in the world. Kind of defeats the purpose of the death mechanic doesn't it? You get all of your gear back with just a little backtracking. The developers specifically stated that you will lose all of the gear in your bag.

I noticed last night for the first time that I can "activate" the screens in safe house. To me it shows a list of my activated CCTVs and any supplies in their vicinity. You can add a pushpin to the map and then go out foraging. It even lets you look for ammo, health, and maybe something else (?) explicitly.

I hadn't died yet, so don't know if you can hunt your last survivor down that way or not.

Does anyone know if zombies from Survival mode show up in normal mode (or anywhere)?

Thank god. I'm going to search the cctvs tonight. Can't bear the thought of restarting. Speaking of, I'm about to
refuel tue generator
. How much further do I have? I'm away this weekend and would like to complete my first play thru before then.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I hear ya. I died before entering the market, after leaving the market, and multiple times soon after at the assault. It wasn't pretty. Get better with the combat and don't be afraid to run away from multiple zombies too close to you.
This is exactly what happened to me. Kind of monster closet-ish the way these encounters happen, really. Mostly annoyed that I died because I made a run for it when my radio friend told me to "Get the hell out of there", instead of being more careful. That'll teach me.

Crom

Got a question

I am at the end of the game and died after getting the
USB from the computer

It took me back to the safehouse and now the door to the shortcut is locked. How do I get back? What direction do I go and where do I go?

I wandered all around and couldn't find my way.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so what did you do?

It took me back to the safehouse and now the door to the shortcut is locked. How do I get back? What direction do I go and where do I go?

Oh man, that sucks you died, first you gotta recover the previous survivor's mission items. Go back to where you died and get
The Panacea
Then make it back to the safe house like it originally intended. You gotta do it the hard way.
The Prepper's no longer with you, then you gotta make it to the Tower of London.

Top Bottom