• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

Sanctuary

Sounds like you died (and the credits don't do anything).
When you survive (dunno if not dying once matters), you jump up and grab a rope attached to the helicopter, and you see someone clasping your arm, helping you up inside.

Currently halfway through Survivor mode, and I'm going to get the easy parts out of the way first, for that one dreaded sequence...then it's smooth sailing from there.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Bollocks. Though I had it too.

Overall impressions of the game are positive. There's some obvious jank and areas that need improving, rough edges all over likely due to it being a launch game, and there's some downright dumb stuff. But it's supremely unique and intense, and when it find its groove it's really something very special.

The main thing I take away from the game is the relatively unforgiving core mechanics, the understanding of "survival horror" as a genre, and the unique qualities of the title separating it from everything else on the market. It's not just "the Wii U's shooter". It could be on any platform and it would still be something very different, and quite bold in concept. I admire Ubisoft for taking that plunge, irrespective of the platform it's on.

I'd like to see a sequel with broader scope and budget, without sacrificing any of the core formula. I do have a bad feeling it wont sell well though and thus not warrant much interest in a sequel, and that Ubisoft will ultimately shift most production to PC/720/PS4 versus a Wii U exclusive, making ZombiU the token launch window game. But I hope I'm wrong. I'd also like to see the series remain Wii U exclusive, not for console war ammunition, but because the game used the GamePad pretty damn well and could be taken further. And none of that will happen if it goes multi platform, likely the reverse.

Sanctuary

I do have a bad feeling it wont sell well though and thus not warrant much interest in a sequel, and that Ubisoft will ultimately shift most production to PC/720/PS4 versus a Wii U exclusive, making ZombiU the token launch window game.

I know it's kind of stupid to post what seems like random speculation (I can't find where I read it...), but Ubisoft said that a sequel depends on sales of course. Then, just recently it's been said that a sequel will actually be happening because the sales were strong enough.

Hero

Bollocks. Though I had it too.

Overall impressions of the game are positive. There's some obvious jank and areas that need improving, rough edges all over likely due to it being a launch game, and there's some downright dumb stuff. But it's supremely unique and intense, and when it find its groove it's really something very special.

The main thing I take away from the game is the relatively unforgiving core mechanics, the understanding of "survival horror" as a genre, and the unique qualities of the title separating it from everything else on the market. It's not just "the Wii U's shooter". It could be on any platform and it would still be something very different, and quite bold in concept. I admire Ubisoft for taking that plunge, irrespective of the platform it's on.

I'd like to see a sequel with broader scope and budget, without sacrificing any of the core formula. I do have a bad feeling it wont sell well though and thus not warrant much interest in a sequel, and that Ubisoft will ultimately shift most production to PC/720/PS4 versus a Wii U exclusive, making ZombiU the token launch window game. But I hope I'm wrong. I'd also like to see the series remain Wii U exclusive, not for console war ammunition, but because the game used the GamePad pretty damn well and could be taken further. And none of that will happen if it goes multi platform, likely the reverse.

Yeah, I was very confused when that happened too. I kind of want to know what would've happened if I made it to the chopper or even if that's possible. I think I'm close to the actual ending of the game soon but my feelings on this game are close to yours. The core of this game is amazing, a fleshed-out sequel that polishes some of the junk that needs it and expands upon the combat or the Game Pad use could truly be awesome. Hope it sells well enough to get that sequel.

Sanctuary

Third most popular game on Miiverse and second highest selling Wii U game doesn't matter if we don't know how many people actually purchased the number one game, let alone a Wii U yet.

As an aside; one nitpick of mine that I hope is addressed is the inability to exchange your currently equipped weapon with any other via drag and drop, as well as the inability to place it in your bag. It's not like it's for tension or that it has anything at all to do with gameplay since you can simply click on another weapon to equip it right away.

How come not more people are talking about the multiplayer in this game? It's insanely fun - IMO even more fun than Horde!

Spending Resources, Upgrading and the asymmetric gameplay make this thing highly addictive.

I'm thinking ZombiU will do just fine and will likely to continue to enjoy moderate success as it's listed as a game that you should probably buy when you buy a WiiU. Without any numbers I'm pretty confident it'll get a sequel - whether it's the sequel we would want or not is a whole 'nother matter, I suppose.

How come not more people are talking about the multiplayer in this game? It's insanely fun - IMO even more fun than Horde!

Spending Resources, Upgrading and the asymmetric gameplay make this thing highly addictive.

I think I might have said this earlier in the thread, or maybe it was somewhere else, but it's some of the most fun I've had in a competitive mode with just two players in years.

jiggles

Banned
So I'm flicking through the manual and, well...

image7nrri.jpg

Stay classy, Ubi.

Fusebox

Banned
This game really started to click with me last night. After my first save game which was littered with the zombie corpses of all my failed attempts I've started again and I'm doing heaps better. Putting any excess items in the safehouse for the next guy has been a huge help.

ozfunghi

So, i don't know if this is comon knowledge, or happens many times in the game, but i think i just found an "unlimited ammo/molotov" glitch in the game. I restared the game because i got frustrated with the way my character lost all his stuff yesterday and found out rather early on something that might interest some of you.

After coming out of the supermarket and having scanned the second camerabox in the basement, i died by my own molotov in the alley with the ladder when trying to return to the manhole. So I went back with my second survivor, looted the backpack of my previous character, which had not turned into a zombie (didn't die of infection), and found both containers/dumpsters in that alley to have molotovs and bullets. So i went back to the safe house to unload all the gear from the previous character, but decided to go back once more, after saving, because there was still some stuff there i couldn't carry anymore (my backpack was full). So when i went back, there was one zombie waiting in the alley, took care of that and found out the containers were "resupplied". So i made another run to the safe house, unloaded the stuff, saved and went back... a total of 4 or 5 times,until my safe house container was full. You need to do this BEFORE you get your new mission "defend the safe house" or the door to the manhole will be locked again and you can't save your game either.

Well, there's that :)

Bumhead

Banned
I hope we get a sequel, and I hope Ubisoft are modest in their expectations and budgeting for that sequel.

I might be mistaken here, but am I right in thinking ZombiU was done on a relatively low key budget and resource? While the game has some obvious jank, I do think in places it's part of the games charm. ZombiU might have been something very different if it was given a much larger resource team, and I hope any sequel avoids temptation to go too far in that direction too. I'd like the sequel to expand and tweak the overall ZombiU experience, but the key design choices and survival horror philosophy need to remain intact. I hope that's not lost in translation if we get a bigger budget sequel.

I hope we get a sequel, and I hope Ubisoft are modest in their expectations and budgeting for that sequel.

I might be mistaken here, but am I right in thinking ZombiU was done on a relatively low key budget and resource? While the game has some obvious jank, I do think in places it's part of the games charm. ZombiU might have been something very different if it was given a much larger resource team, and I hope any sequel avoids temptation to go too far in that direction too. I'd like the sequel to expand and tweak the overall ZombiU experience, but the key design choices and survival horror philosophy need to remain intact. I hope that's not lost in translation if we get a bigger budget sequel.

I agree with you. A bigger budget leads to the need of more sales to be profitable. These sales are captured by marketing folk who use demographic charts and demand more guns, a cover system, more traditional multiplayer, etc.

ozfunghi

lol this game can be so cheap. I think this isn't for me, might sell it. Barricaded the doors, placed mines, the only way in was the opening under the shutters, so i wait for them to crawl in... when all of a sudden i get attacked from behind by a zombie that spawned in the room i just secured. WTF. I'm seriously really close to selling this.

burgerdog

Church objective help needed:
I am completely out of ammo and there's still more zombies around, I'm screwed, right? I can't do anything against them now.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
lol this game can be so cheap. I think this isn't for me, might sell it. Barricaded the doors, placed mines, the only way in was the opening under the shutters, so i wait for them to crawl in... when all of a sudden i get attacked from behind by a zombie that spawned in the room i just secured. WTF. I'm seriously really close to selling this.

Were there any corpses in the room, or neighbouring rooms? Because corpses are randomly scripted to animate unless you decapitate them. First thing you do whenever in a room: decapitate the corpses.

Wow, figured my years of video game and namely survival horror experience would come in handy when playing this game. Nope!

It's definitely a challenge, and that's exactly how I like my games! Like the spin on the Dark Souls system as well. Once again, I'm very disappointed with reviewers, they seem to have completely missed the mark on this one.

Love this game, but the end of it is ruining the experience.
whoever thought up the arena was on something. The game spends its entirety teaching you to go slow, be cautious, conserve ammo, fight only when necessary. From the arena on, it's basically a ridiculously hard first person shooter. I died a handful of times at the arena before I got lucky, and now am dying in the end sequence. It's madness. I hate it when games jump the shark, so to speak. And this game is no fun as an FPS. ]

There are spots outside the turnstile gates near the safe house entrance they can get in from. If you leave any corpses around they randomly get up as well. In other words if you're trying to do the safe house raid in the big office area you're best off keeping moving and pinging the radar a lot.

If you want to be cheap about it, you can lure them into the entry hallway next to the safe room . They can only come at you single file that way. If you're a decent shot with the pistol and were conservative with ammo up to that point, should be a relative cakewalk at that point. Plus I haven't tried it, but you should be able to shoot them through the chain link gate.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I agree with you. A bigger budget leads to the need of more sales to be profitable. These sales are captured by marketing folk who use demographic charts and demand more guns, a cover system, more traditional multiplayer, etc.

Just for clarification, marketing decides what's on the box and in the commercials an where they run and what's in trailers... That kind of stuff. What's in the game is play testing, and that's decided by "fellow gamers" - so watch where you point fingers for more guns and cover systems heh

gfdoom

I can't be the only one impressed by the atmosphere and environment construction, can I?

Nope, your not the only one. The levels are designed and detailed well (I guess they are based on real life). But I'm surprised at the level of detail within the environments in that they look like an actual chaotic mess, especially inside Buckingham palace. Very nicely done.

ozfunghi

There are spots outside the turnstile gates near the safe house entrance they can get in from. If you leave any corpses around they randomly get up as well. In other words if you're trying to do the safe house raid in the big office area you're best off keeping moving and pinging the radar a lot.

If you want to be cheap about it, you can lure them into the entry hallway next to the safe room . They can only come at you single file that way. If you're a decent shot with the pistol and were conservative with ammo up to that point, should be a relative cakewalk at that point. Plus I haven't tried it, but you should be able to shoot them through the chain link gate.

Nah, the office where you find the first dead guy who's backpack you steal, there were no zombies, i had previously nailed the doors shut, put mines at the doors (inside) for should they come through, the only way in was crawling in under the shutters. I lost all of my stuff again, and just waited for them like you said in the hallway/entrance of the safe house and knocked them back (had no weapons) until they stopped coming.

Not cool. lol

Were there any corpses in the room, or neighbouring rooms? Because corpses are randomly scripted to animate unless you decapitate them. First thing you do whenever in a room: decapitate the corpses.

Nope

gfdoom

Nah, the office where you find the first dead guy who's backpack you steal, there were no zombies, i had previously nailed the doors shut, put mines at the doors (inside) for should they come through, the only way in was crawling in under the shutters. I lost all of my stuff again, and just waited for them like you said in the hallway/entrance of the safe house and knocked them back (had no weapons) until they stopped coming.

Not cool. lol

Nope

that sucks! One thing I have noticed is that they drop from vents in the ceiling as well. I saw it first hand as I was beating one and the other dropped from the ceiling. I ran like hell of course because of the others coming from behind.

ozfunghi

that sucks! One thing I have noticed is that they drop from vents in the ceiling as well. I saw it first hand as I was beating one and the other dropped from the ceiling. I ran like hell of course because of the others coming from behind.

Seriously? Well damn, i didn't check for that. If that's the case... i would have to give the game credit for that. It would be the only possible explanation other than a cheap-ass spawn glitch.

So, is uplay working for this title? I just finally installed the game, and I clicked on uplay on the main screen, but it just freezes at connecting... without going anywhere.

antonz

Yeah Zombies are very effective at using vents etc. The Enter room and decapitate any corpse strategy is a key one too.

Mistle

Just found an XL bag in Buckingham, which is very handy. It was slightly off the beaten path, which made me think... I hope I haven't missed lots of other cool things D: I generally check the areas thoroughly but I'm sure there's some spots I haven't.

So, is uplay working for this title? I just finally installed the game, and I clicked on uplay on the main screen, but it just freezes at connecting... without going anywhere.

Yes it works.
I already redeemed my uPlay stuff since I had 150 Units left.
Always running around with that Union Jack Cricket bat!

Love this game, but the end of it is ruining the experience.
whoever thought up the arena was on something. The game spends its entirety teaching you to go slow, be cautious, conserve ammo, fight only when necessary. From the arena on, it's basically a ridiculously hard first person shooter. I died a handful of times at the arena before I got lucky, and now am dying in the end sequence. It's madness. I hate it when games jump the shark, so to speak. And this game is no fun as an FPS. ]

I disagree strongly. The game was coddling you with the early bits, very rarely did you have to actually think on your feet. Usually you could back off and handle it from a distance or with a few flares. Once you get into the endgame, the pressure is such that you have to think faster and resort to more distraction and pushing holes through groups. I think it was a fantastic way to end the game, a sort of, slow jog throughout the marathon and then a final sprint at the end.

Just had a glitch in the
nursery
where I fell through the floor but never hit the ground. I quit, reloaded, and I'm a different survivor. Ok fine. Well, I go back to the
nursery
and suddenly see my name falling for a split second, then it's gone. I think my chick actually died AFTER I stared my new character o.o

Pineconn

What the fucking fuck?!?!?!
rageguy.png
rageguy.png

Let me tell you a story. Right before giving the second book to the
royal Doc
, I head back to
Victoria Memorial
and stumble across a swampy bit. There aren't any zombies, but I find a CCTV box. I leave and continue the story.

I have to return here to obtain
C4
, to which I find zombies waiting for me. Not a big deal, since they're dispersed sporadically. I leave and continue the story further. At this point I get a bit lost since two objectives appear (
find the seven letters and call for evac
). I finally find a target indicator point me back to the swampy area again, only to find goddamn
snipers and zombie mobs and explosions and shit
. I assume I have to run, so I make it to where I have to
use C4 on the crack
... AND THEN I DIE FROM A
N EXPLOSIVES-STRAPPED
ZOMBIE. Damn game, you aggravating piece of shite... If only you weren't so fun...

Are there more BS moments like this? I see people mentioning the
"arena"
and it has me worried.

Nemesis_

Can someone just say with one word, are the promises by Ubisoft about the "big twist" something that actually delivered?

I feel like I'm near the end but nothing has really happened. >_>

EatChildren

I loved the end game. Totally resonated with the kind of climax I expect from games like this. Main thing with the
arena
was that it stripped away any sense of freedom of play, which I guess was the point, but it was still supremely stupid and out of place. The end game sequence, though challenging, is right at home with survival horror as the onus is still on you to plan and survive.

Anyways, I done reviewed it.

Can someone just say with one word, are the promises by Ubisoft about the "big twist" something that actually delivered?

I feel like I'm near the end but nothing has really happened. >_>

No, not unless there's something extra if you make it through in survivor mode.

I disagree strongly. The game was coddling you with the early bits, very rarely did you have to actually think on your feet. Usually you could back off and handle it from a distance or with a few flares. Once you get into the endgame, the pressure is such that you have to think faster and resort to more distraction and pushing holes through groups. I think it was a fantastic way to end the game, a sort of, slow jog throughout the marathon and then a final sprint at the end.

I admit, looking back on the end segments, I find myself enjoying them more. I think my feelings were partially due to being pulled out of the comfort zone established throughout the game (which ultimately is the point of survival horror anyway). That said, I still wish they had found another way of jacking up the adrenaline at the end aside from just
mass hordes
. I find myself dying due to trial and error type situations, while the rest of the game each of my deaths can be traced to an operator error (which was one of the things I've enjoyed most about this game). That difference is what has damaged the end of the game in my view.

At the end of the day, however, my opinion of this game remains very high, and it is one of the best experiences I've had in a long while.

To be clear, I'm largely referring to the arena here as this part was particularly trial and error.

Nemesis_

For reference.

In an exclusive interview with Official Nintendo Magazine, Shrager revealed that only the best players will discover the nature of the twist before it happens.

"There is a twist. ZombiU is a thriller, but only the most persistent and best-prepared survivors will discover what the twist is before the reveal."

With Miiverse connecting players like never before, Shrager is keen that gamers don't spoil the ending for each other.

She added: "I'm sure the first survivors won't resist the urge to spill the beans, but I hope others won't spoil it for themselves."

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/43620/zombiu-storyline-features-a-big-twist/

EatChildren

She could have been referring to the
post credits escape sequence
as the surprise they didn't want spoiled.

Top Bottom