• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite kind of Zelda game?

Which kind of Zelda game do you like the most?

• Top-down Zelda (1, ALTTP, LA, OOA, OOS, MC, ALBW)

Votes: 63 30.4%
  • Side-scroller Zelda (Adventure of Link, CDI games)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3D classic Zelda (OOT, MM, WW, TP, SS)

Votes: 102 49.3%
  • 3D open-world Zelda (BOTW, TOTK)

Votes: 36 17.4%
  • 3D, stylus driven Zelda (PH, ST)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zelda sucks

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Rhythm Zelda (Cadence of Hyrule)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Co-op Zelda (FSA, TFH)

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Sup GAF,

I've been playing some older Zelda games, and this made me wonder which kind of Zelda games people like the most since they come in different kinds and flavors.

Also, why not take the chance and tell us about your favorite Zelda game? What makes it special?

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I really want another classic 3D Zelda, like Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask. I actually haven't played BOTW or TOTK yet. I'll probably love them, but I still want another Ocarine-type Zelda.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
like my GTA games most: Top Down
Pretty based. Bet you already have played it but if not, check out Chinatown Wars.

I can enjoy both traditional 3D Zelda and BotW/TotK Zelda and I hope Nintendo still make traditional 3D Zelda.

As much as I loved BotW/TotK but if thats the only Zelda they make I will eventually going to get sick of it.
I think we have a problem, and that is Nintendo only having one console in the market instead of two (home console + portable)

Previously they could make their modern Zeldas for home consoles while still delivering a more classic approach on the handhelds, like with ALBW, or just hire a third party (Capcom) to it for them, with games like Minish Cap or the Oracle ones.

It's true that they could still have this approach with just one console, but the thing is, they haven't. Makes me wonder if they are afraid of putting too many Zelda titles on a single console, like if people could get burnt out of those games or something.

Last edited:

amigastar

Pretty based. Bet you already have played it but if not, check out Chinatown Wars.

I think we have a problem, and that is Nintendo only having one console in the market instead of two (home console + portable)

Previously they could make their modern Zeldas for home consoles while still delivering a more classic approach on the handhelds, like with ALBW, or just hire a third party (Capcom) to it for them, with games like Minish Cap or the Oracle ones.

It's true that they could still have this approach with just one console, but the thing is, they haven't. Makes me wonder if they are afraid of putting too many Zelda titles on a single console, like if people could get burnt out of those games or something.
I've played Chinatown Wars, love it. On the DS and on PSP.

Robb

Gold Member
Multiplayer Zelda (Four Swords/Triforce Heroes) and side-scroller are my least favorite. Probably followed by “stylus” (although I do really like Spirit Tracks).

I don’t think I can choose between Top-down, 3D Classic, and 3D Open-world. I love them all, and any choice would probably be different just depending on my mood at the time.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They put lot of different style of Mario games, they can do the same with Zelda games as well. Not all them needs to be crazy big Zelda games like BotW and TotK.

Last edited:

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Side scroller is the best for me.

giphy.gif

TintoConCasera

3D Classic which is just an extension of 2D over the top
Yeah I think I can agree with this.

I voted 3D classic too. While I love some of the 2D Zeldas, specially ALTTP and LA, there are things you can do in a 3D Zelda that you could never do in a 2D one.

It’s big enough to feel open. ToTK is too big, I’d be ok with it if it didn’t sacrifice dungeons and bosses
Yeah. A map half the size of those but with actual dungeons would be the sweet spot for me, I think.

Hunter 99

For me my first zelda was wind waker,( i had megadrive growing up not snes or a nes until later years)despite having n64 i never had oot or mm.but wind waker was my first true experience and I loved it.the cel shaded style and the music was awesome. That being said I also loved tp,the wii early days were so fresh and exciting.i was 18 at the time and remember buying a wii with zelda and red steel.good times!

amigastar

Yeah I think I can agree with this.

I voted 3D classic too. While I love some of the 2D Zeldas, specially ALTTP and LA, there are things you can do in a 3D Zelda that you could never do in a 2D one.

Yeah. A map half the size of those but with actual dungeons would be the sweet spot for me, I think.
Oh yeah, actual dungeons would be splendid. Unfortunately i can't get into BotW and TotK although they are not bad games by any means. I just love traditional dungeons.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
wind waker was my first true experience and I loved it.the cel shaded style and the music was awesome.
I’d love to see them return to that style some day.. I really love how everything in that game has a personality, even the bomb explosions look so distinct.

I guess they did try with the DS titles, but the artstyle and all the detail doesn’t translate nearly as well on that hardware imo.

I bet a new one built from the ground up on today’s hardware would look absolutely gorgeous. The original still holds up really well today.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It’s honestly really a split between classic 3D, top-down 2D, and BOTW style. They’re all just so good.

I voted for BotW style, just because that’s what I’ve really been enjoying lately.

@darth.shrimp’s got the right idea. 👆

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'm probably the only one on Earth who loves the stylus Zelda games as much as the others. I wish they made a 3DS game like it.

It's that or the classic 3D.

kunonabi

Not sure I'm partial to any one.

Skyward Sword is no. 1 and Twilight Princess is no. 3, A Link to the Past is no. 2 and Four Swords Adventures is no. 5, and then Spirit Tracks is no. 4. Hell, I'm also a big fan of Adventure of Link.

I do know what I don't like though.

My least favorite entries are BOTW and it's "sequel" and I found the GB games to be a chore to play as well. I do think the open world style can work and was still the right direction but Nintendo just can't seem to fill them with compelling things to do and earn so far.

Last edited:

MAX PAYMENT

Not sure I'm partial to any one.

Skyward Sword is no. 1 and Twilight Princess is no. 3, A Link to the Past is no. 2 and Four Swords Adventures is no. 5, and then Spirit Tracks is no. 4. Hell, I'm also a big fan of Adventure of Link.

I do know what I don't like though.

My least favorite entries are BOTW and it's "sequel" and I found the GB games to be a chore to play as well. I do think the open world style can work and I still the it was the right direction Nintendo just can't seem to fill them with compelling things to do and earn so far.
Damn. I consider BOTW and TOTK to be two of the best games I've ever played, period. Zelda or not.

TintoConCasera

Completely forgot about Four Swords and Tri-Force Heroes lol, never got to play them.

Didn't Four Swords require a Game Cube and 3 GBAs plus a bunch of cables? :goog_relieved:

Švejk

The Classic 3D Zelda.. OoT set the bar of the perfect balance of battling, exploring, puzzle solving, length, progression and character interaction and tools/weapons.

Codes 208

BotW is in my top five but not my top three.

I definitely prefer the classic 3D games, MM and OoT taking up the top of the list specifically.

But classic 2d is still good too, minish cap is my number 4

Holammer

I really like the new BotW/TotK approach, let's put that #1 and for #2 the regular top-down ones with Link to the Past & Link's Awakening (the real Zelda games to many).

BOTW / TOTK style is the way.

I can't imagine going back to Zelda on rails now.

I know, I know, people miss the structured dungeons but TOTK was a vast improvement in that regard.

Next game they'll likely have found the right balance between structure and freedom.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Zelda dating simulator

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
My first Zelda game was TotK(yeah, I know). I thought it was an excellent game. However, the Ocarina of Time (Harkinian version), which I played afterward, had a huge impact on me. Despite having some trouble in certain dungeons (I even got "reply bombed" for it in a thread), everything about it was amazing, especially the music. It's just perfect. It's incredible that after playing tons of games for years, I experienced a game from 25 years ago and still found myself in awe.

Nowadays, I'm playing Skyward Sword, and I realized that I prefer these more linear Zelda games over the open-world ones (which aligns with my general gaming preference).

This song moves me every time; even months later, I still find myself whistling it now and then.

Sad Feelings GIF

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The top-down ones are by far the best for me - ALTTP is still easily my favorite in the franchise. Second would be the traditional 3D ones.

I would be happy to never see another BOTW-style one again. It was fine the first time, but the sheer bloat of it all just spiraled completely out of control in TOTK. I don't feel like I'm getting anything meaningful out of those games that I wasn't from the older 3D games, in much less time.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Let me guess, Water Temple? :messenger_winking_tongue:
I struggled at the Forest Temple at first;
I had tried hitting the ghost in the picture once, but nothing happened.
After that, I spent hours wandering around the temple looking for a solution. I also got stuck at one point in the Water Temple and eventually couldn't resist looking up the solution :messenger_pensive:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I voted 3D because I really like Wind Waker. But this franchise is so iconic because it perseveres throughout the various ages of gaming. It was just as prescient back in the 80's as it was a few years ago. Everyone ages 1 to 50 has a favorite Zelda game.

bender

What time is it?
A Link to the Past will always be my favorite. I didn't care much for 3D Zelda until BotW, but I can understand why some don't appreciate those as Zelda games.

A little gross that SS is in the same vote option as OoT and WW but I guess I understand the logic 😆

I like OoT and WW the most, without a doubt. Nothing else comes close

BotW is amazing, of course, just not as a traditional 3D Zelda.

Last edited:

Romulus

OoT didn't age well but at the time it was head and shoulders above everything else. Whereas the newer games are great they just feel like a concoction of games we've played before with a Zelda coat of paint. Having said that they're quality.

TintoConCasera

OoT didn't age well
I think it has. Framerate aside, which isn't that much of an issue really, the game still plays great.

Agree with what you say at the end tho. While they are good games they really don't feel like Zelda to me.

IAmRei

I love both 2d and 3d, but the 3d open world is longer and bigger. I dont know of its because i like longer game or bigger world. But, all zelda ive played are quite immersive for me. Longer and bigger are better and worked well for me. BoTW and ToTK, wind waker, are my best favorite in 3D.

As for 2D, minish cap and first zelda are straight my favorite, and i often emulate them in my phone, also finished them in several playthrough, each for years cycles.

Now, here goes my craves to play zelda, arise. i think i will play WW or BoTW again soon.

Top Bottom