• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 Review Embargo drops 1 hour before release

peish

This game will be perfect for gamepass, i find it hard to commit to long games these days, and i also can’t stomach paying $70 for a 5-6 hours of gameplay

Vroadstar

1 hour before the game release review embargo. It's not a red flag or about confidence in the game because Maruo said so.

Listen Make Some Noise GIF by Celtic Football Club

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Sad to say, but I agree and would be extremely surprised if this game was a success by any metric. No matter what kind of critical acclaim it will garner, it's a day 1 Game Pass game released on a failing platform. I don't really think it will be as novel as the first game was, so it's probably not going to get a free pass by critics for coming out of nowhere.
Going by that logic wouldn't every 1st party release be set up to be a failure...🤔

For that matter exactly what metric even counts as a "success"? Number of downloads? Hours played?

Going by that logic wouldn't every 1st party release be set up to be a failure...🤔

For that matter exactly what metric even counts as a "success"? Number of downloads? Hours played?

In current circumstances? Yup, hence the major problems at Xbox. There are some games that even when trotted out as a day 1 Game Pass game, people will still buy the game. Silksong is going to be one of those. But I don't see people going crazy for Hellblade 2 and buying it after spending a few hours playing through it on Game Pass. And I don't think it will drive subscriptions for Game Pass. And I don't see it doing all that well on other platforms either.

Vroadstar

Ah, the subpar pivot after being refuted
1f64c.png

mom son GIF

And let’s now forget the legendary MauroNL, that elusive oracle who emerges from the shadows assuring everyone the timing of the review embargo is not a red flag, and trust the unquestionable authority of Tom Henderson!:messenger_spock:
200.gif

Klayzer

Bumblebeetuna Bumblebeetuna what's with the empathy emoji 😄

I'm just pointing out they weren't twiddling their dicks for 2 years after HB1. I didn't make the game so I don't need empathy. Did calling it badly received hurt your feelings or something?
Well of course it did. He's super-sensitve to any criticism of Microsoft/Xbox. I just laugh at the passive-aggressive posts and pissed off smiling emojis.

Akuji

if they dont want spoilers, do GOW 2018 approach.
This screems underwhelming for me. I expect it to be a good game. Could be The Order 1886 of this gen.
Which is a game i have a collectors edition for. But ultimately did fall short of the hype and didnt deliver what was expected of the game.

I say around 85mc which will lead to the game being semi popular for a for years by a small group.

Eiknarf

You play a game like this for the experience of feeling what those with mental illness might feel, and for the story telling, not about having some personal revelation about the ending or the plot the first time you play it.

What could the spoiler possibly be!?! It was a dream the whole time? Gimme a break, “spoilers”

Last edited:

FewRope

Seems absolutely crazy that Microsoft did this.

When the game was unveiled alongside the Series X, there wasn’t even a game! It was just a trailer made for the show.

They absolutely crush their own studios.

Didnt Microsoft put that Phantom Dust CGI trailer on a E3 even tho the game was long ago dead and they pretend like the game was going to be amazing?

Akuji

if you ever want to be sucessfull publisher and having ur teams grow and improve, ask microsoft for advise and then just do the exact opposite.

winjer

Gold Member
When a company tries to limit the review process, it's because they are not confident in their own product. Doesn't matter if it's movies or videogames.
And the reason of not wanting spoilers is just a poor excuse.
I'm going to play it on gamepass, but I would not pre-order this game and buy it full price.

Here come the bootlickers with examples in the past where it worked out fine. Even though the majority of the time this is done it’s to hide the mid to shit review scores and issues.
Bootlickers sure found a surge in use since the PS5 Helldivers dilemma. But rest assured, you don't stand out using it.

Everything for the trends eh?

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
If Henderson is more your thing. 🫡

How does he know? Did Microsoft write that in the friendly mail with the review code?
This justification also makes no sense. Then, in the worst case scenario, the journalists put out a review with spoilers an hour before the release. Anyone who was waiting for reviews will be spoiled one way or another. And if you don't give a damn about reviews in principle, you don't have a problem anyway.

When I was still working as a journalist and reviewed games, there was a guide for story-heavy games that explicitly highlighted which chapters you definitely shouldn't mention. Accordingly, I cannot take this “Microsoft wants to avoid spoilers by lifting the embargo late” excuse seriously.

FewRope

How does he know? Did Microsoft write that in the friendly mail with the review code?
This justification also makes no sense. Then, in the worst case scenario, the journalists put out a review with spoilers an hour before the release. Anyone who was waiting for reviews will be spoiled one way or another. And if you don't give a damn about reviews in principle, you don't have a problem anyway.

When I was still working as a journalist and reviewed games, there was a guide for story-heavy games that explicitly highlighted which chapters you definitely shouldn't mention. Accordingly, I cannot take this “Microsoft wants to avoid spoilers by lifting the embargo late” excuse seriously.
When FF VII Rebirth was about to release, 2 or 3 weeks prior the press keys said you were not able to talk about Zack at all. This game is going to be some massive turd if they are doing this

Last edited:

Three

max 83 avg.
It might be higher. I know a lot have some sympathy for the situation the game/studio is in. I suspect that ballpark though.

I don't think the embargo is related. I think MS really is holding back a "marketing" push. It will probably be about cheap viral marketing online rather than the traditional kind though. X million players and 'now on gamepass', with the media reviews dropping at around the same time. It's probably going to struggle sales wise though even with the digital only release that they did to prevent you from selling the game the next day after you experienced it.

anthony2690

Gold Member
I genuinely hope this game turns out good, or atleast I can find some enjoyment from it.

I played and beat the first game and sadly didn't like it very much at all.

But the TGA trailer got me interested in atleast trying this one out.

I would personally like ninja theory to revisit enslaved though, I loved that game. :(

Ozriel

M$FT
Hellblade was 2017. So they were twiddling their dicks for 2 years?!
Then 5 years to make hb2. That’s 7 years. Insane

They didn’t just snap fingers and magic up Hellblade ports for Xbox One and Nintendo Switch, and the VR Hellblade port. They also worked with ILM to deliver a Star Wars VR game.

if they dont want spoilers, do GOW 2018 approach.
This screems underwhelming for me. I expect it to be a good game. Could be The Order 1886 of this gen.
Which is a game i have a collectors edition for. But ultimately did fall short of the hype and didnt deliver what was expected of the game.

I say around 85mc which will lead to the game being semi popular for a for years by a small group.

saying an 85 MC game would be comparable to 63% rated Order 1886 and ‘didn’t deliver’ is quite the wild take

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I genuinely hope this game turns out good, or atleast I can find some enjoyment from it.

I played and beat the first game and sadly didn't like it very much at all.

But the TGA trailer got me interested in atleast trying this one out.

I would personally like ninja theory to revisit enslaved though, I loved that game. :(
Enslaved was great and Heavenly Sword.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Bumblebeetuna Bumblebeetuna what's with the empathy emoji 😄

I'm just pointing out they weren't twiddling their dicks for 2 years after HB1. I didn't make the game so I don't need empathy. Did calling it badly received hurt your feelings or something?
Well of course it did. He's super-sensitve to any criticism of Microsoft/Xbox. I just laugh at the passive-aggressive posts and pissed off smiling emojis.

Jesus, it was a joke. I always joke about Bleeding Edge. At ease, soldiers.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Ninja Theory deserves to take a deep financial hit for creating this. If that Elden Ring DLC wasn't coming this year, 2024 would be a serious contender for the worst year in gaming since games were invented. Challenge anyone to find a worse year of releases.

Humdinger

Gold Member
I think it’ll review well despite being a mediocre game. Just like the first one.

Yeah, I think it's review okay. First game got an 81. Mixed reviews - some loved it, some didn't. I expect the same here. I'd be surprised if the average falls below 80. I could be wrong, of course. Maybe the game is a stinker. I just find that hard to believe. The studio spent 6 or 7 years (?) on it, and they weren't doing anything new or risky; they were doing pretty much the same thing they did the first time. I don't see how they could screw it up too badly.

Reckheim

I really liked the first one, these types of games are right up my valley. But if anyone thinks it will magically do significantly better then the original then they are just setting them selfs up to be disappointed.

Only reason why its even in the news is cause its an exclusive game. If it were third party like the original it would just be another games in a sea of games coming out.

I think the majority could watch a lets play on Fast Forward instead.
Some might expeirience a lets play similar to playing themselves, but I very much doubt that the majority of people would not feel a huge difference between the whole different approaches. While I am not in the VR is a gamechanger crowd, the difference for some is quite big there while just watching something and rudimentary controlling something is also hardly the same thing either. You might find it anyway boring, and dismiss it as a game anyway, but people that are open to this content, certainly have a better time, experiencing it themselves on the helm and not just dragged along by someone else.

NoobSmog

This seems like the type of game that would get decent reviews even if it's not very good tbh. My best guess would be they are worried about reviews telling how long the game is. But if that was the case they should have just priced it at 30 or 40 imho. They messed up with the review embargo if this thing actually reviews higher than low 80's.

Top Bottom