• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan is not happy with Assassin's Creed: Shadows

Status
Not open for further replies.
if i'm against the dual protagonists in the game, it's because one of the 2 carries on the new 'warrior who's also sorta also an assassin' thing from origins, odyssey, & valhalla, which I really dislike. prior to those games, the main characters were, like the female character, simply assassins. which, you know, given the name of the series, kinda made sense?...

Moneal

I assume you mean mainline AC game, because the Vita game had the first:

HjOplbm.jpeg
Nope not even main line. AC Origins had the first black mainline lead.

if i'm against the dual protagonists in the game, it's because one of the 2 carries on the new 'warrior who's also sorta also an assassin' thing from origins, odyssey, & valhalla, which I really dislike. prior to those games, the main characters were, like the female character, simply assassins. which, you know, given the name of the series, kinda made sense?...

He doesn't have a hidden blade at all in this one, so he will only have access to the warrior combat.

Last edited:

Hypnotoad

Okay, a serious post: I live in Taiwan and browse Chinese-language video game sites / forums as well as English-level ones with a predominantly South East Asian audience. The almost universal reaction to Yasuke isn't anger, but just: :messenger_tears_of_joy:. People in countries where "woke culture" and DEI isn't a thing are best at identifying and ridiculing it. The spicy memes this week have been glorious.

Just one more point: Telling Yasuke's story - which will be made up anyway - won't make the game better or worse. There are hundreds of historic figures and footnotes from the time, native or foreign, who can be spun into an intriguing tale. But for that you'd need good writers, and that is something Shadows doesn't have, that I am sure of.

Last edited:
And I'm sick of people complaining about other people voicing very valid opinions. If you don't like a thread, just don't read it or comment in it. AAA games are no longer art, most new ones today exist only as vessels for propaganda and microtransactions. Gamers have a right to complain.

Oh and FYI there plenty of Russian gamers who have complained about being the bad guys over the years.
You're totally right

near

Gold Member
The first black lead in a AAA Ubisoft title is Assassins Creed: Origins. It's amazing how people conveniently forget this fact. We could've played a Roman in the period that would've showcased a different point of view than the typical Egyptian native. To see it in the eyes of the invader while you conquer Egypt as well while battling your inner conflict of good vs evil. (See what I did there).
It's not conveniently being forgetful when there was a lot of ambiguity in he's character model, placed in an environment where some characters had silky black hair and facial structures that were closer in resemblance to an Arab. But okay, I'm not really looking to defend this, I'll give you that.

This amazing gaslighting attempt to nullify the representation debate is example of inconvenient racism that the majority of the posters here don't want to face. If it wasn't such a big deal... it wouldn't get this much backlash. Face it, you guys are just as bad as Ubisoft who clearly doesn't have the cultural chops to tell any decent story (not since Black Flag) let alone something like Japan.
What are you talking about here? What relevance does this have with what I said?

But hey, I like how you have that much faith in Ubisoft that they can clearly get Yasuke's story right or the "strong-independently" minded female assassin that will fully realize the culture representation that we've been arguing this time.

Give me a Fucking break. Why don't we start a bingo card to see how predictable this game will become.
Maybe what you should try to do in the future is read the context of my post in relation to what I was quoting. Because it's pretty obvious that you're discussing points I never made with yourself, or what I said went over your head.

Sounds like the folks in the South who banned I Spy in the 60s because Bill Cosby* was in it and thus was an agenda.

Because anytime someone black appears in a major role, it's DEI. Or woke. Or CRT. Or political correctness, or whatever the next rage word people will pick up.

* - before his crimes.
Yes that’s correct. Sue me.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm not personally bother with yusuke being black, but i think the defenders don't understand why people are mad.

It's not because ubi chose a black samurai, it's why they did it, in the modern climate this doesn't come off as genuine (even if maybe it is).

If this was 15 years ago before the mind virus, way less people would have something to say against yusuke.

Last edited:
Very convenient that people here “forget” that there was quite a bit of complaining about Nioh having a white male playable character. I didn’t particularly care for having a white character in a Japanese setting like that, and I certainly don’t care for having a black character whose very existence is questionable, being used instead of a Japanese man.

Hell, The Gamer previously complained about Ghost of Tsushima being made by white people and called it cultural appropriation, but now that a different team of white people are inserting a Black man into their ancient Japan game, now it is perfectly acceptable and not cultural appropriation to make a game set in ancient Japan? Now it shouldn’t be the “obvious decision” to have Japanese characters in a game about Japanese people?

There is no point in arguing about this of course because the people who defend and perhaps even praise Yasuke’s inclusion are very disingenuous people.

l5AqIaH.jpeg

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Who wouldn't when a lot of people start harassing you on Twitter?
Most people like her instigate it in the first place.

Anyways, I'm still a little confused about this whole controversy. I mean, he was a real black man who was a samurai in Japan. Having a game based off him doesn't come off as woke to me and I'm as anti-woke as they come.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I'm not personally bother with yusuke being black, but i think the defenders don't understand why people are mad.

It's not because ubi chose a black samurai, it's why they did it,in the modern climate this doesn't come off as genuine (even if maybe it is).

If this was 15 years ago before the mind virus, way less people would have something to say against yusuke.
Yeah, spot on. It’s bad timing, historically correct or not it comes off as being a political choice and people are getting tired of that.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Very convenient that people here “forget” that there was quite a bit of complaining about Nioh having a white male playable character. I didn’t particularly care for having a white character in a Japanese setting like that, and I certainly don’t care for having a black character whose very existence is questionable, being used instead of a Japanese man.
It isn't.
There is no point in arguing about this of course because the people who defend and perhaps even praise Yasuke’s inclusion are very disingenuous people.
You didn't even do a lick of research and it shows when you say that Yasuke's existence is questionable.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Do you even know what a retainer is?. The differences between the two?. Do some research and tell me where yasuke lands.

That's why I asked you for a source so I can read up.
Everything I've researched doesn't conclusively state his final title.

Gaiff

That's why I asked you for a source so I can read up.
Everything I've researched doesn't conclusively state his final title.
Because it isn't conclusive. I also find it hilarious that he asks you to do some research and tell where Yasuke lands because that would land him in the samurai territory.

Gaiff

Do you even know what a retainer is?. The differences between the two?. Do some research and tell me where yasuke lands.
Let's see.

>Had a stipend and was on a permanent payroll and the term used for that stipend in the source is only used for the pay of samurai, not mere servants
>Had a house
>Is believed to have had military training
>Served a powerful warlord
>Was given a sword by said warlord
>Fought at Nijo
>Was made to carry Nobunaga's tools/weapons whereas Hideyoshi, who was a peasant, later became a samurai, and eventually a daimyo, carried Obunaga's sandals

The only thing missing is that it isn't spelled out that he was a samurai but according to Thomas Lockley, the term didn't come into formal usage until 20-30 years after Yasuke left historical records, so it's completely normal, if not expected that he was never referred to as such. Regardless, samurai at the time (and forever for that matter) wasn't some super duper prestigious title so getting bent out of shape over it is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
This is about a white writer co-opting Japan to tell a black story. Japan is being scapegoated.

The disingenuousness of the people of people saying this just about telling diverse stories is tiresome. I would love to see a film as good as Apocalypto set in Africa. But they can’t do it. Their narrative commitments to DEI makes telling a good original story impossible. They have to subvert. Subversion is to DEI storytelling as catharsis is to Greek tragedy.

This is the reason that something like the black Little Mermaid is so galling. It is a sign that the narrative commitments of the original have been changed and made worse. The original doesn’t subvert. This is why you can’t have a Japanese game with a Japanese hero, or an Apocalypto, it is too difficult to subvert and scapegoat the west.

The disingenuousness is that people act like this is an organic narrative trend that just happens to be going on at the same time as the political movements of the day. Of course, the truth is that these stories are actually meant to enforce the political narrative atm. Worse, these stories obscure, distort, and outright lie about the actual historical truth.

This is about a white writer co-opting Japan to tell a black story. Japan is being scapegoated.

The disingenuousness of the people of people saying this just about telling diverse stories is tiresome. I would love to see a film as good as Apocalypto set in Africa. But they can’t do it. Their narrative commitments to DEI makes telling a good original story impossible. They have to subvert. Subversion is to DEI storytelling as catharsis is to Greek tragedy.

This is the reason that something like the black Little Mermaid is so galling. It is a sign that the narrative commitments of the original have been changed and made worse. The original doesn’t subvert. This is why you can’t have a Japanese game with a Japanese hero, or an Apocalypto, it is too difficult to subvert and scapegoat the west.

The disingenuousness is that people act like this is an organic narrative trend that just happens to be going on at the same time as the political movements of the day. Of course, the truth is that these stories are actually meant to enforce the political narrative atm. Worse, these stories obscure, distort, and outright lie about the actual historical truth.
Remember when the Rings of Power trailer was released on youtube, and it got flooded in the comments with Evil Cannot Create, Only Destroy

it was glorious

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
This is why you can’t have a Japanese game with a Japanese hero.

Of course, the truth is that these stories are actually meant to enforce the political narrative atm. Worse, these stories obscure, distort, and outright lie about the actual historical truth.

3pAJ04j.gif

Soodanim

Gold Member

Hell, The Gamer previously complained about Ghost of Tsushima being made by white people and called it cultural appropriation, but now that a different team of white people are inserting a Black man into their ancient Japan game, now it is perfectly acceptable and not cultural appropriation to make a game set in ancient Japan? Now it shouldn’t be the “obvious decision” to have Japanese characters in a game about Japanese people?

l5AqIaH.jpeg
"Questionable" - apparently not according to more reputable sources than angry anonymous people.

One website cries about Tsushima, yet the devs became ambassadors of the real world location and were praised for telling the story. I think that counts for more than some website, personally. https://screenrant.com/ghost-tsushima-island-japan-real-life-developer-ambassadors/

And then you end it by ironically saying anyone that isn't against Yasuke is disingenuous. "There's no WAY that someone wouldn't share my opinion! Inconceivable!"

Half of the complaints ITT sound exactly like the virtue signallers being offended on someone else's behalf. It reminds me of this:
Gvrf7xc.png

I'm sure there will be plenty to criticise in AC:S, especially given Ubi's recent choices. But in and of itself, the inclusion of someone that did actually exist being used for a story is not a problem. People getting this up in arms over the sanctity of AC as a franchise is questionable at best. If the writing turns out to be shit, then criticise the writing. That is fair game.

There's a difference between "I'm disappointed, I was hoping for a Japanese character in Japan" (which is a legitimate opinion on something falling short of expectations) and trying so hard and going through ridiculous lengths to try and prove to the world that it shouldn't exist as if that's ever going to make a difference. Some of the things I've seen cross the border of mental disorders, because no sane person would care this much. Just don't buy it and move on. Shadows is not the first game set in Japan and it won't be the last.

lifa-cobex

Fuck me running naked in antarctica. They "just happen to" stumble upon the one nonce apologist fujoshi historian that could speak English or something?
I dunno man.
I briefly looked through this thread. I watched this vid first and just went....
Meme Leaving GIF by MOODMAN

I was going to dog on the price of the game but nah.
Just nah.

Last edited:

peish

2 Californians, one Korean, one Filipino trying to talk about how Japanese culture is "theirs" and dont talk about it like you know more than them. Fucking clown world.

as a proud Asian master race, i was offended when i saw the first trailer and posted my feelings here. These 4 clowns are trying too hard with the gaslighting.

Ubisoft need not do this, but they did it and they did it for their own satisfaction. DEI my arse

shamoomoo

Or maybe, so of y'all are just crazy babies. Did you feel the same about Onimusha 3 with Jean Reno and developed by Capcom?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Fuck me running naked in antarctica. They "just happen to" stumble upon the one nonce apologist fujoshi historian that could speak English or something?

If you check out her credentials, you wonder (or perhaps not) why Ubisoft chose her since she's primarily interested in topics like ...
  • Tales of Idolized Boys: Male-Male Love in Medieval Japanese Buddhist Narratives
  • The New Lady-in-Waiting Is a Chigo: Sexual Fluidity and Dual Transvestism in a Medieval Acolyte Tale
  • Non-Binary Genders in the Genji, the New Chamberlain, and Beyond
  • Overcoming Yoshitsune’s Shortcoming of Shortness: National Identity, Masculinities, and Corporeality in the Cultural History of Japan
  • The Queer Love Triangle of Lord Kiso, Imai Kaneira, and Lady Tomoe
  • How to Queer Acolyte Tales
  • Chigo no sōshi: A Homoerotic Handscroll of Five Buddhist Acolytes from 14th-Century Japan
  • Benevolent Infidelity and Subversion of Sexual Roles in a Love Triangle
  • Idolized Boys on Stage: Warawa-mai as a Power-Generating Machinery in Medieval Elite Society
  • Foster Brothers with Benefits: Subversions of Sexual Roles in a Lord-Vassal Dyad
  • Chigo no sōshi: Erotic Images and Stories of Five Capricious Adolescent Boys
  • From the Ugly Shorty to Pretty Young Thing and Precocious Boy Fighter: Fragmentary Images of Minamoto no Yoshitsune.
  • Overcoming Lookism: The Cross-dressing of the Heroine in The Tale of the New Chamberlain
And then there's this photo of her:

vD1FoWZ.jpeg

How difficult could it have been to find a bonafide Japanese born professor in Japanese history without all of the political/gender baggage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom