• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XDefiant: In-Game Purchase Philosophy

havoc00

We endeavor to be an amazing arcade shooter experience, in a Free-To-Play package. A crucial part of this will be to keep making great content to excite and engage our players for years to come, season after season.

No Pay to Win
We want to take this time to have an open conversation about the different types of purchasable content we will provide. But first, let's go over a major point:

• There are no pay-to-win mechanics - Any gameplay impacting content that is purchasable is also unlockable through challenges to ensure fair play amongst our community.
  • For example, the DedSec faction in Preseason will be purchasable or unlockable through an in-game challenge by acquiring 700k XP.
Rewarding Your Time
Our goal is to be providing amazing customization options that reward all of the matches, victories, and even defeats that you put into the game. As you play that one more match, all of your time and energy will work towards unlocking content either through the Battle Pass or challenges.

Just a few examples of how your time will be rewarded:

• Free Battle Pass Rewards
  • In-Game Challenges, both Daily and Weekly
  • Ubisoft Connect Challenges
  • Weapon Mastery (with regular updates)
  • Community Participation Rewards like Twitch Drops, giveaways, and in-game events.
ocus on Customization
We know being able to display your identity as a player is important, and so customization will be key to the XDefiant experience. We will be offering:

• Character Skins
  • Weapon Skins
  • MVP Player Animations
  • Player Cards
  • Emoji Packs
  • Even more coming in the future!
Evaluating Over Time
Like we said, we know this is an important topic. A topic that demands reflection and evaluation. As XDefiant progresses, we will be listening to your feedback, as well as player surveys and in-game player data, and constantly evaluating to make sure we are providing fair and engaging customization options.

Offerings
At launch, here is the type of content you can expect:

• Premium Battle Pass
  • Character cosmetics
  • Weapon cosmetics
  • Faction unlocks
  • Player Card Backgrounds
  • Player animations
  • Emoji packs

MrRibeye

You can just tell that some Monetization Designer at Ubisoft browsed to the Call of Duty website and copied it all.

It really triggers me when they say in this holier-than-thou attitude
Just a few examples of how your time will be rewarded:
  • Free Battle Pass Rewards
  • In-Game Challenges, both Daily and Weekly
  • Ubisoft Connect Challenges
  • Weapon Mastery (with regular updates)
  • Community Participation Rewards like Twitch Drops, giveaways, and in-game events.

and it's all straight up copied from:

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
You want them to reward you for doing nothing?
No, just to put the dailies/weekly in a list of unlockable rewards that you can unlock by just playing the game regularly. Let me unlock stuff whenever, without having to log in every day/week.

The only reason these exist is because they want to “force” you to play their game every day. That’s the opposite of rewarding your time, imo.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
We endeavor to be an amazing arcade shooter experience, in a Free-To-Play package. A crucial part of this will be to keep making great content to excite and engage our players for years to come, season after season.

Not gonna lie kinda hyped for this we will see if they deliver
My only appropriate response gif to this disgusting trash would be bad.
So here's something more positive.
GTxc21l.gif

DAHGAMING

All you toxic douchebags and sweaty no life virgins stay the fuck off this game you have COD / Warzone and you ruined them.. let this one cook before you hack it all up please!!
Big respect, im willing to give this abit of time. I dont care for unlockables, skins ect, that shits for simps and soyboys, I just use the default shit and fuck all them colourfull pussoles up.

Killjoy-NL

No, just to put the dailies/weekly in a list of unlockable rewards that you can unlock by just playing the game regularly. Let me unlock stuff whenever, without having to log in every day/week.

The only reason these exist is because they want to “force” you to play their game every day. That’s the opposite of rewarding your time, imo.
You sure? They reward you for taking the time to play their game.
Generally speaking, daily/weekly rewards are XP/ingame currency related, so not much is lost if you missed them. It only means that progression takes longer, which seems logical.

You can also opt to just not bother, but can't complain about missing out on something then.

It's all just offerings for sense of progression, because tbh, otherwise multiplayer games lose incentive to play.

Last edited:

consoul

There are no pay-to-win mechanics - Any gameplay impacting content that is purchasable is also unlockable through challenges to ensure fair play amongst our community.
I guess we disagree on what pay-to-win means then.

If someone has to grind for days to get 700,000 EXP for a gameplay impacting capability and someone else just pays money for it, I think they just paid to win.

Robb

Gold Member
And one daily is better than none, right?
Yes, but they didn’t add that to reward my time spent with the game. They added it to benefit their business model.

I’d be happy to play for 15h in a row and keep unlocking stuff on a single day when I have the time. But that’s not what they want. They’d rather have me play 1h a day for 15 days. They don’t care about rewarding my actual time spent, only that I keep logging in over a long time.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Do people really consider dailies/weeklies/FOMO to be examples of “rewarding your time”?

If they really wanted to reward my time I wouldn’t have to log in constantly to get worthwhile stuff.
This. Making the argument “but it’s unlocked through regular play” when you have to grind 20 hours as opposed to spending 4.99€ is moot.

And you can be sure you will have to grind, it’s to incite people to pay.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I guess we disagree on what pay-to-win means then.

If someone has to grind for days to get 700,000 EXP for a gameplay impacting capability and someone else just pays money for it, I think they just paid to win.
Yeah that’s some straight up bullshit. If you can pay for XP to bypass grinding for it, isn’t that like the very definition of “pay to win”?

mitch1971

Bit like warframes free battlepass.

Killjoy-NL

Yes, but they didn’t add that to reward my time spent with the game. They added it to benefit their business model.

I’d be happy to play for 15h in a row and keep unlocking stuff on a single day when I have the time. But that’s not what they want. They’d rather have me play 1h a day for 15 days. They don’t care about rewarding my actual time spent, only that I keep logging in over a long time.
They also don't make games because they're afraid you might be bored otherwise, but to make money.

Might as well not buy videogames at all going by that logic.

Robb

Gold Member
They also don't make games because they're afraid you might be bored otherwise, but to make money.

Might as well not buy videogames at all going by that logic.
Why would I care about that? Let me play how I want to play.

I just think it’s b/s to claim that this is a way to “reward the players time”. It’s nothing but a reward for the developer/publisher, and if anything, it’s a reward for logging in continuously, certainly not time spent.

Killjoy-NL

Why would I care about that? Let me play how I want to play.

I just think it’s b/s to claim that this is a way to “reward the players time”. It’s nothing but a reward for the developer/publisher, and if anything, it’s a reward for logging in continuously, certainly not time spent.
You can play how you want. You can just ignore dailies/weeklies.

Most of the time, I don't bother with them and just happen to complete them.

Except for HD2, I suppose.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
You can play how you want. You can just ignore dailies/weeklies.

Most of the time, I don't bother with them and just happen to complete them.

Except for HD2, I suppose.
Sure. And devs can do whatever they want/feel they need to. I don’t care. I usually skip this stuff as well if I play a GAAS/F2P game.

It wasn’t added to reward my time spent with the game though. It was added to keep me coming back. If it was about rewarding my time they’d value me playing 15h straight the same as 1h a day for 15 days, which they don’t.

Killjoy-NL

Sure. And devs can do whatever they want/feel they need to. I don’t care. I usually skip this stuff as well if I play a GAAS/F2P game.

It wasn’t added to reward my time spent with the game though. It was added to keep me coming back. If it was about rewarding my time they’d value me playing 15h straight the same as 1h a day for 15 days, which they don’t.
Ultimately gaming is all about corporations trying to earn your money.
Such a moot point.

Doesn't really matter though. For this game it doesn't sound too bad. But it also doesn't sound special.

Kerotan

Do people really consider dailies/weeklies/FOMO to be examples of “rewarding your time”?

If they really wanted to reward my time I wouldn’t have to log in constantly to get worthwhile stuff.
If you don't want to play the game don't expect to be rewarded as much as those who are. Dirty commie.

Robb

Gold Member
Ultimately gaming is all about corporations trying to earn your money.
Such a moot point.
For companies, yes (and maybe for you, I guess?). It’s definitely not for me.

If you don't want to play the game don't expect to be rewarded as much as those who are. Dirty commie.
I think you got it backwards, I would expect to be rewarded for playing.

As things stand you are not rewarded for your time playing. In regards to the concept of dailies/weeklies, I could play this game for 150h in a span of 10 days and I’d earn less stuff than someone who played the game for 15h in total over 15 days.

Last edited:

Kerotan

For companies, yes (and maybe for you, I guess?). It’s definitely not for me.

I think you got it backwards, I would expect to be rewarded for playing.

As things stand you are not rewarded for your time playing. In regards to the concept of dailies/weeklies, I could play this game for 150h in a span of 10 days and I’d earn less stuff than someone who played the game for 15h in total over 15 days.
I'm pretty sure you'll unlock more by choosing the 150hr option.

Killjoy-NL

Obviously not if we’re talking daily’s and weekly’s as there’s only one reward per day and week.
What's the issue then exactly?

Daily's and weekly's are just extras on top of what you already gain by playing

Edit:

Like in HD2, daily's and Major Orders grant you an extra amount of Medals and Requisitions on top of everything you'll already be earning by playing the game.

Last edited:

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Anyway to get you away from your money for no value digital goods. I couldn’t imagine ever buying some cosmetic with real money I earn. How embarrassing for these folks just willingly giving money to a company for no value.

We live in such weird times where folks will part with their money for nothing in their hands as a return. I have never seen so many folks on their knees with their mouths open for companies that do not care for you but your bank account.

It isn’t about the art anymore, it’s about hiring people to find anyway to manipulate you out of your wages. Sad times.

Robb

Gold Member
What's the issue then exactly?

Daily's and weekly's are just extras on top of what you already gain by playing

Edit:

Like in HD2, daily's and Major Orders grant you an extra amount of Medals and Requisitions on top of everything you'll already be earning by playing the game.
Maybe I’ve been unclear but in my original post I’m questioning them stating that daily’s and weekly’s are a reward for my time spent with the game and why people would think that way. To me, they’re not - as they do not reward time spent with the game.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
This bit stood out straight away

"For example, the DedSec faction in Preseason will be purchasable or unlockable through an in-game challenge by acquiring 700k XP."

So pay to win or grind your ass it for a month

havoc00

Anyway to get you away from your money for no value digital goods. I couldn’t imagine ever buying some cosmetic with real money I earn. How embarrassing for these folks just willingly giving money to a company for no value.

We live in such weird times where folks will part with their money for nothing in their hands as a return. I have never seen so many folks on their knees with their mouths open for companies that do not care for you but your bank account.

It isn’t about the art anymore, it’s about hiring people to find anyway to manipulate you out of your wages. Sad times.

The tracer packs in mw3 are cool wont even lie.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Yes, but how long does it take to get 700kXP ?

On average, are you getting 1K XP per game, 10K, 100K or 100xp?
Exactly 700k sounds like a lot especially if you get like 80-100 a game!
Big respect, im willing to give this abit of time. I dont care for unlockables, skins ect, that shits for simps and soyboys, I just use the default shit and fuck all them colourfull pussoles up.
im hoping this is a soyboy special you alpha males ruin all our women and games!

Last edited:
Top Bottom